IGNORED

Sonore opticalModule v0.95 - discontinued

On 5/4/2019 at 8:57 AM, iLguapo said:

1- I’m trying to keep things simple

2- don’t want the clatter of a bunch of boxes 

3-waiting on the optical version of the sonic transport i7

4-already own a switch 

if it doesn’t work , then I’ll be ordering a module 

This all makes perfect sense to me...  Users have to understand that Sonore cannot test all possible Network combinations!  So, the solution is that Sonore offers information/recommendation on gears that have been tested and are known to work together.  This does not meant that combinations not recommended by Sonore will not work, it only means that Sonore cannot guarantee that another combination will work.  Once plenty of opticalRendus and Signature Rendus (optical) are out in audiophiles homes I am sure we will see many folks reporting on all kinds of combinations which work, and which do not work, but to get started, Sonore recommends what is known to work reliably.

Your approach, to try what you have first makes sense.  As far as the opticalModule goes, one MAY experience better performance using the opticalModule in place of an "ordinary" FMC or "ordinary" Switch with optical output, after all better performance is the reason the opticalModule was developed.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 4 weeks later...

@vortecjr, you mean opticalModule, right?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, jcn3 said:

@barrows and @vortecjr -- i have my om hooked up with a 9v/500ma jameco lps that i had lying around.  at 9v, the om runs very, very warm.  anything to be concerned about?

in the interim, i've replaced that lps with a 5v ifi ipower.

I do not even have an opticalModule yet... damn!  So I have not measured/tested it yet here.  I see it is specced to take up to a 9 VDC supply, but the higher voltage will produce more heat.  If you can keep your hand firmly on the case without getting too hot it is probably OK, but I would personally choose to run it at a lower voltage-I'll be running mine at 5VDC with a DIY supply (power supply quality will matter, this has been tested internally by Sonore's VP).  I also wonder if 500 mA might be a little on the low side, but it is probably OK.

Sorry I cannot provide better info, but until I have one myself I just cannot be sure.

SONORE computer audio

59 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

I would say it's a bigger jump in sq than the 1.4 board change in the microRendu was.

Wow, that is a nice improvement then...  Enjoy!  

I will get an oM in my system (powered by custom DIY linear supply, feeding the Signature Rendu SEoptical) today, looking forward to it, finally.

SONORE computer audio

@cat6man, great to hear that you had such a nice improvement.  Here, adding the oM to my set up with the Signature Rendu SEoptical only resulted in a small increase in what I would call "purity".  Previously I was using a cheap FMC, but powered it with a very, very good ultra low noise ultra low impedance linear supply.

It is clear now from reports, that everyone's results will vary a bit, due to Network configurations.

SONORE computer audio

16 minutes ago, cat6man said:

@barrows

how about downgrading your system for a quick test?

can you put the SFP directly into your router and remove your FMC/oM?

i'm curious if you'd also notice a big difference :)

basically wondering if SFP in router might be a "don't go down that road if you don't have to"  recommendation

I do not have an SFP cage in my Router, and really not a lot of time here for testing right now.  I am thinking there seems to be enough evidence to suggest that having the optical conversions done in simpler environment (FMC vs. Router) might be an advantage, but it probably all depends on the models of everything as well.  When I do simple RF measurements, my Router makes a lot more noise than the little cheap FMC, and of course uses way less power (a good indicator also of less noise).

Of course then there is the test of trying on optical NIC inside a computer for testing the direct approach as well...  I would like to try that sometime with a really well designed NIC powered by a dedicated ultra low noise, ultra low impedance linear supply.  the very, very good supply on the FMC was a nice improvement here.

SONORE computer audio

30 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

Funny thing is that my ultraDigital runs cool with a 9v SBooster, the uR did not

That is because the ultraDigital does not use much current at all, so even if the internal regulators have to drop a handful of volts, there is just not nearly as much power dissipation.

SONORE computer audio

@charlesphoto:  What was the length of your previous cable for comparison?  I am considering making a short star quad, OCC DC cable with solid core wire just for some fun comparison (this would be from my custom 5 VDC ultra low noise/impedance linear supply to my single optical module).  I found some very, very special star quad wire (also quite costly) which uses foamed FEP insulation and OCC solid core copper.

SONORE computer audio

@John769, It is on my radar to test single mode fiber at some point, but I am too busy to try it now.  If anyone is running single mode fiber cabling/SFPs with the opticalModule and/or optical/Rendu I would love to hear about it and your results.  As long as one uses 1 Gb modules it should work, but we at Sonore cannot recommend such until it is confirmed to work.

SONORE computer audio

• 1 month later...

New review on the opticalModule and Signature Rendu SEoptical at Dagogo:

https://www.dagogo.com/audio-blast-sonore-systemoptique-signature-rendu-se/

SONORE computer audio

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, opticalModule users, here is the set-up we will use at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest to feed the optical signal to our Signature Rendu SEoptical.  This is the opticalModule with a prototype power supply (5 VDC 1A), Sonore AC cable, and custom (short) star quad, single crystal, copper DC cable.  Production versions of this power supply are in development, expected availability, 4-6 weeks after RMAF....

opticalM.jpeg

SONORE computer audio

SONORE computer audio

5 minutes ago, Adyc said:

Can I use UltraSupply to power OM? What is the advantage of this power supply over UltraSupply to power OM?

I am looking for a PS for OM. If this new PS is better than UltraSupply, I rather wait.

IMO, 7 VDC is not ideal for the oM.  The power supply design for the oM is specifically designed for its requirements.  That is not to say that one could not use the ultraSupply for the oM, but the oM will run rather warm with 7 VDC input.

These two power supplies have different designs, but both are excellent, the new supply is just more suitable for the different power needs of the oM.  Price is unknown at this time, but will be similar to that of the ultraSupply 7.0 VDC.

SONORE computer audio

39 minutes ago, dminches said:

Are you saying that the uptone ultra cap LPS-1 at 5V isn't well matched with the oM?

LPS 1.2 at 5 VDC is good for the opticalModule.  Sonore does not recommend the LPS 1 for any of our products.

SONORE computer audio

I repeat:  Sonore does not recommend the LPS 1.0 for any of our products.  Indeed it will work for the microRendu, ultraRendu, and opticalModule, but it will not provide the best performance.  We do recommend the LPS 1.2 for those products (but not for the opticalRendu).

SONORE computer audio

12 minutes ago, Cormorant said:

It is really trippy that I can clearly hear the signature of each power cord.  What is the physics mechanism for THAT?

1st, what power supply are you using?

If you can tell us the physics, that would be interesting!  In any case, some thoughts on power cables, in no particular order:

1.  The quality of the AC power at the wall is different in every home, and changes as well throughout the day, so we cannot expect similar results from different locations when it comes to power cable designs.  These things will have different results in different locations.

2.  Conventional wisdom suggests that noise on the AC is responsible for most, if not all, differences between power cables; in other words, different power cables act as different filters to noise, at different frequencies.  Depending on what kind of noise is on the AC line to begin with, different cables will have different results.

3.  The better the design of a given power supply is, the less influence a power cable should have on the sound, as a better designed power supply will be more immune to the quality of the incoming AC power (and the noise) than a worse designed power supply.  This is not to say that even the "best" power supply will not exhibit some change with different power cables. 

4.  If we had "perfect" AC  (which would be described as exactly 115 VAC, with a perfect 60 Hz sine wave with 0.0000% distortion) I would expect that any reasonable power cable (which is not actually "broken") of 14 AWG or more, which runs a reasonable distance from the source of the "perfect" AC power (say 6' or less) would provide as good performance as is possible.  But no one has perfect AC power  (a good AC regenerator, such as those made by PS audio are pretty close though).

SONORE computer audio

I am not intimately familiar with the SR-4, although the reputation is so good I am a bit surprised that it would be very sensitive to the power cable used.

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Can anyone confirm the current demands for the opticalModule at 5v?  

This is going to be somewhat dependent on the sample rate one is streaming.  And boot up is going to require more current than running it.  We recommend a power supply capable of 1A output at 5VDC.  In use while streaming DSD 256 (4x) I have about 500 mA current use.

SONORE computer audio

32 minutes ago, guiltyboxswapper said:

Just received an Allo Shanti with both 5v/1A and 5v/3A so will give both a try in time.  I'm running DSD 512 so likely on the higher side I guess (50mbit/s).

The 1A supply will be entirely adequate.

SONORE computer audio

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

I've noticed that when using Roon the orange light on my two opticalModules stays on continuously, even when playing 16/44 files. I have two other renderers here and when streaming to each, the orange light flashes. Any idea why I'm seeing this and does it mean anything as far as RAAT goes? I ask because I am still trying to determine why Roon sounds so bad in my set up, wondering if RAAT is overloading something in my network.

Sounds like something is wrong, you should have a solid green light on the oMs.  I am no Networking expert though...  What is the Network path?  Note the oM needs to be using Gigabit devices.

Nice system BTW!

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...

I took a look at the descriptions of the Shanti.  It looks like it would be OK to use the two outputs and consider them "isolated", but I would caution folks that this will not produce the absolute best performance.

Isolation is rarely (never really) complete, and the Shanti is a good example of a way to talk about this.  The Shanti produces two "isolated" outputs by using a single transformer, with two secondaries.  This means that the two secondaries, while using completely separated wire coils, will still share some noise through capacitive coupling from one secondary to another.  More complete isolation would be provided by a supply which used two separate transformers, and even better isolation would be provided by using fully separate supplies, in separate boxes, with separate power cables.  Even better isolation than that would be provided by two separate supplies, with two separate power cables, plugged into two separate circuits.  Even better isolation than that would be provided by two separate supplies, with two separate power cables, plugged into two separate circuits, where the two circuits were on opposite phases of the homes AC distribution.

So, one can see that "isolation" is always a matter of degree, rather than being "absolute".  

The one other thing which concerns me about the Shanti, is that by its description, it appears to rely on capacitance after the regulator to define the output impedance (ability to respond to quick current spikes) as they claim LDOs (low dropout regulators) have poor transient response.  Well, only some LDOs have poor transient response.  Really good voltage regulation circuits have much better transient response than any capacitor, and the best power supplies will be designed with a really good voltage regulator, followed by a very small amount of capacitance (as the capacitance will tend to "slow" the response of a really good regulator).  While the Shanti appears to be a well designed power supply, and seems to be a bargain at its price, higher performance can be achieved by using a power supply designed specifically to provide the lowest output impedance (speed) possible.  This is no criticism of the Shanti, at its price it appears to offer great value; the truth is, there is some degree of getting what you pay for here: really good parts cost more (like ultra low noise, ultra low output impedance regulators), and even when you make things in Asia you have to pay more for the best possible parts.

SONORE computer audio

As I work with Sonore, I really do not have much (if any) direct experience with power supplies from other companies, as I just use Sonore supplies, or custom supplies suited for the purpose.  Generally, though, i can say that to a point you get what you pay for in power supplies, there are good performance reasons that the more expensive supplies cost what they do.   Ultimately, a supply such as the Shanti may be all one "needs" though, if one can define that!

As for general set up, with Ethernet (optical or CAT 6A) I like to see the computer gears away from the audio system as much as possible: this is the big benefit of Ethernet, as it allows for long distances without any concern for transmission quality.  I like just having all the "less clean" stuff (servers, routers, switches, their power supplies)  away from the audio system on a separate circuit (hopefully in another room, closet, basement, etc), then with an opticalModule there, and then a long run of optical cable to the audio system with an opticalRendu/Signature Rendu, etc.  This way the audio system is all made for audio, low noise, low emissions stuff, running on a  clean circuit branch.  So I like to see the set up as two sides: one where the commercial computer gear is (noisy side), and one where the audio system is (all made for audio gear hopefully with very low noise circuitry) and the two sides are isolated by the optical link between them.

SONORE computer audio