IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

I have 3 cables, 2 for the dsdraw sdif3 stream and 1 for the sync. they are the correct impedance for each. I really haven't had time to thoroughly trouble shoot the problems. DSD displays on the unit, so there is some sort of recognition of the signal. I have to load up the tascam with a variety of dsdiff files to test. Right now there is only a live recording I made on there. Already waited a year, whats a few more weeks.

"I really haven't had time to thoroughly trouble shoot the problems"

then I would not use this forum as level one. I would go to Michal and team (they answer phone and email) and trouble shoot to your best extent before publicizing your displeasure here. It doesn't seem fair to both badmouth and admit you haven't worked on the issue. My $.02.

Hi ted_b,

how you liking the mytek, has it had a chance to burn in yet?

it's definitely the most feature rich dac i've seen.

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

I link Mytek through firewire to a MacMini, or a MacBook Pro (I switched from Windows to Mac two years ago after 25 years of DOS/Windows, best decision I've taken, no more trouble).

Make sure in the Driver configuration it is on 'normal' and not on 'safe'. Once the driver is installed you can read all PCM as simple as any other DAC. Make sure you have 8mg of memory installed.

If you want to use Pure Music, read the manual first. Remove all resident programs. Pure Music is just a great program, and outstanding value compared to competition.

If you want to use DSD then you need to get the lates beta from ChannelD. These people are very friendly, answer all questions same day (and very patient).

Sometimes the program freeze and it is difficult to find the reason (bad file ?).

I've had mine run for 10 days non stop.

I'm leaving for the European Triode Festival where I will listen to my setup on various high end systems and come back next week with comments. So far I'm more than happy.

http://www.triodefestival.net/index.php?page=etf-2010-photos

Turns out there must have been some odd connection issue or power-on sequencing thing. I removed & reconnected all the wires & restarted all equipment. Now it works just fine.

Will let you know how it sounds in a few weeks after break in, but right off I can tell it's going to be something great. Very detailed and true to the original recording. The tascam allows direct comparison with SDIF3 and it's own internal conversion. The levels are a few dB different, but already I can hear a better resolution of my own DSD recordings on the mytek. For the money, nothing can touch it.

Which is why I ordered it a year ago :)

Hi Espresso!

Glad that you have been able to fix the problem.

To me it sounds that there was a issue with the DSD clock.

Now on to some listening (and enjoying) your purchase ;-)

Cheers

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

any Mytek DSD DAC owners have opinions on how it sounds, or comparisons to other DAC such as weiss/ayre?

thanks

Roon  |  Metrum Acoustics Ambre Streamer & Onyx NOS DAC  |  Nakamichi BX-300  |  Technics SL-1210GAE & Ortofon 2M Black  |  Yamaha T-7

McIntosh MA352  |  JBL L82 Classic  |  Inakustik Interconnects & Speaker Cabling  |  IsoTek Power Management

The Mytek DSD DAC leaves one relatively lost for words. There is to my ears no identifiable or glaringly obvious sonic signature. It is very transparent and free of any obvious colouration. It really seems to reflect the underlying music. Exceptional recordings sound exceptional, mediocre one's don't. Nothing seems to be exaggerated or enhanced. The sound stage for example waxes and wanes with the recording. The low noise floor and the 32 bit DAC does appear to give you the full 24 bits of resolution on PCM. Redbook Audio is as good as I've ever heard it on any system. The DSD playback exceeds any SACD player I've ever owned. I'm comparing this to various Marantz and Musical Fidelity SACD players including the Trivista and various DACS from Zhaolu (the D3 with I2S input and custom op-amps and caps) and Musical Fidelity (X-DAC V8). For the money its definitely worth a listen.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

nice one pacwin.

how you got it set up?

The playback is very very good and worth the price of admission. I have been sidetracked lately and just yesterday put the Mytek back in my system so I could continue to break it in, and then compare DSD to Antelope Gold's best PCM conversion....and also compare same rez PCM on each. So far the DSD beats the Antelope's attempt at PCM conversion playback, bu the Antelope 2.5X the price) bests it at redbook and hirez PCM playback, mostly in the area of air and soundstage depth. But again, I need to give it another 100 hours on my break-in process.

I'd also love to really hear the USB as opposed to the fw input, but the USB is a bit noisier right now. However, my better cable is USB (WW Platinum vs Granite FW). I am wondering, though, if Mytek's firewire implementation is "better" (homegrown, cleaner, more stable, more mature) than their Rigisystems 3rd party USB implementation. Dunno.

I am using it in bypass mode (remote volume off) cuz I found the remote volume direct-to-amp to be slightly grainier than going through a passive Bent TAP pre (the pre I'm using for this eval cuz it accepts XLR, RCA..and imparts almost no signature).

To answer another thread (I recommended Meredith/Audiophile65 join us here) this would make an EXCELLENT first DAC; the redbook and hirez PCM capability and unique native DSD nature, combined with pro-quality support, flexibility (analog inputs, remote volume), and of course price, make it an unbelievable steal at $1695. My $.02

just curious when you say that "USB is a bit noisier right now" can you elaborate?

It sounds like the Mytek is using a very similar if not exact implementation of their USB as my ARC DAC 8 and while the boards, etc, may be different, I am not quite sure what you are finding when you say noisier.

Personally, I love the sound of the DAC 8, chose it over the dcs Debussy and am looking for another DAC for a smaller application so I look forward to your experience.

Yverof, so glad to hear you joined the Mac camp after 25 years of Windows! :)

Welcome to the good side (Mac) of computing. :)

I can't stand being with a Windows PC for 5 minutes!

Also, great comments on the MyTek -- sounds like it's definitely going to be my first DAC -- even if I have to wait 2 months for MyTek backorder. :)

to me (but I can't find the explanation :( ). It had something to do with the volume/gain being accidentally activated and set to something other than 0.0db, and that this was the reason for some extraneous noise (very slight, somewhat nit picking, but there nonetheless). It is a short-term issue and Mytek is waiting on the new driver presently.

Yeah, just got my DAC back! Very good service from Mytek (big thanks!!) I've noticed my DAC now runs version 1.3.0 of the firmware, that's a nice bonus :-).

Now to enjoy the sound! I've treated myself to a couple of oyaide neo-w d+1394 firewire cables. See if it makes a audible difference to my stock cable which came with my Edirol FA-66.

Have a good day (or evening)!

1.3.0 ... ?

I am _seriously_ jealous now ;-)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

My Mytek DSD 192 DAC Pre Black with BNC spdif input (thanks Michal) is on a Fedex truck due manana!

As you will note, I started this thread quite a while back and am now extremely curious as to what this unit is going to sound like versus my Wadia 861i fed by Gordon's WaveLink. Introduced in July 2001, the 861 sounds pretty good to me though I have not had another DAC in my system. Have heard the Ayre USB DAC and a DSC stack in others' systems and wasn't significantly motivated to make a change based upon what I heard.

But, at the price of entry, Mytek's pro credentials/reputation, and the amazing set of features: USB, FW, spdif, balanced and single ended outs, analog volume/remote controllable, hi rez PCM, DSD (though I not sure what to do with this short of finding a PS3?)...new generation DAC chips, anti jitter scheme, a decade of digital audio development, bit the bullet!

An interesting aural experiment. Plan to try USB, FW and WaveLinked spdif (why I asked for BNC)...a new generation DAC versus what might be considered a classic.

Did I mention that the Wadia with WaveLink playing Audirvana+ on a SSD/8GB RAM Mac Mini rocks pretty hard? Sounds WAY better this way than with a CD in its transport...like WAY better. Very high bar, at least to me.

Tone with Soul

I will be interested to hear how you like it in comparison to the Wadia. My suspicion is that the Wadia may be more musical overall, with the Mytek being more resolving and "neutral" (in quotes, 'cause... not really).

Considering "Tone With Soul", you may prefer the Wadia, after the shock of some new details wears off.

All specualtion on my part though-like I said, I will be interested to hear your impressions.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Barrows,

You have revealed my prejudices!

I'm kind of expecting to come to that same conclusion...after all, the Wadia was a $7K piece of gear, with a pretty elaborate and, I beleive, discrete analog output stage, multiple transformers in a tank like build. Versus other CD players/DACs, I admired the density and movement (think the Brits call it prat) of the Wadia. Real music moves, has impact...and soul.

Will start with WaveLink in to BNC, then try MyTek's USB and FW. Though it seems kinda nuts to have a $900 USB/spdif converter driving a $1,400 DAC!

Will attempt to be unbiased...10 years of technological innovation have occurred and Sabre DAC and ICs used are new, state-of-the-art stuff.

Though, I believe that some small companies are using the DAC chips used by Wadia in the 861 in new products, because they sound more musical than the newer stuff.

Will report findings/opinions.

Tone with Soul

heard lots of Wadia stuff. While they do reveal all the details with their latest designs, they also sweat the details to keep the musically relevant parts in place-so they never sound sterile or antiseptic as many modern DACs can without proper attention to details (power supplies, output stages, digital filtering...)

I will be interested to hear of your comparisons. To be fair, I would feed them both from the Wavelink first. Then, find what input sounds best on the Mytek, and compare Mytek by best input, vs. Wadia from the Wavelink. My speculation is that these two will sound quite different...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

how is that Redman album? I am a fan of his work...

edit: oh yeah, Compass, I have that (duh)!

SONORE computer audio