IGNORED

Mytek Stereo 192

Rigisystems uses Cypress chip? This chip model looks the same as in north star DAC32.

Cypress is probably the most used USB MCU chip. It is used across the board from USB HDD controllers to USB audio. They have bunch of general purpose processors with integrated USB interface. It's all up to the software run on these processors that defines the functionality. Practically any USB device can be implemented with those.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

And I am very happy to report that I'm sitting here in my listening chair, listening to native DSD!! Nice! I'm currently using Pure Music (V1.83d3) via iPod touch Apple remote app, and using it through the Mytek firewire driver from my Mac Mini running Lion (Mytek Mac USB driver for DSD is next to arrive, soon). I have also tested it with the newest version of Audirvana Plus and native DSD works there too (via Logmein VNC)!

A new firmware update is due early in the week or so to clean up a few minor things, and I've not seriously listened and a/b'd against my Antelope DAC, etc. The unit is all of 18 hours broken-in (i.e almost dead cold) so this update is simply to say "native DSD playback is real, it's wonderful, and it's in my house via the Mytek".

Ted

Even a tenth as much. And with the DAC still breaking in, and a generic FireWire cable in place currently it's less than ideal so far. I'll update later in the week. But if you need an answer right now....no, no real difference sonically...just convenience goes to PM for DSD with remote app.

Thanks Ted,

Finally some one who has a Mytek and can confirm that DSD works. We appreciate you want to take some time to confirm the sonic advantages only after the burnin period.

I was assuming that no one had this and all was just a marketing hype. The RMAF also had very little to say. The only limited information on the net was that this unit was a very transparent one - Hence would rely on the source and the other following components to bring the best out. Swell ! I say..

I am also on the ordered list...

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

ChannelD and get PM 183D3 no problem. It's compatible with all PM setups, just adds a screen where you type in the device name for DSD (so PM knows when to enable dCS algorithm for DSD passage vs simply upsampling DSD). Not sure about the rest of your question. PM uses bookmarks in iTunes for DSD location, so ipod or ipad remote app sees them like any other album.

This is still no panacea. One wants to get the laser disc motorised turntable out of the equation altogether. Im sure you can playback and use the Mytek analogue output and it will sound better than anything but the most high end SACD players but ideally one wants to play a disc once, capture the DSD using a software recorder, and then playback from a music server. At this point the input side of the Mastering version of the Mytek is still a work in progress and you might need an expensive DAW software package to capture the DSD?

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

>>Finally some one who has a Mytek and can confirm that DSD >>works. We appreciate you want to take some time to confirm the >>sonic advantages only after the burnin period.

It was confirmed here on the 24/10 after Mytek provided a second firmware update usingthe dCS packed byte method which structures the one bit data into 174.4/16 bit data which is dismantled on the other end by the FPGA back into DSD and then processed. It does need several weeks of break in. In week 3 the bass appears after the sound stage opens up in week 2.This DAC definitely makes sense if you have DSD files to playback on. Still capable on PCM but much more compelling on DSD. The analogue stage is very neutral transparent and will unmask poor recordings a well as the good ones. Jriver users are still waiting on firmware or ASIO driver enhancements from Mytek and in the latter case this will use DSD bitsreaming via ASIO rather than the packed data method which is hardware dependent and not really a standard so far. The DAC is the least of the issues really.

The problem is still content. Many DSD recordings exist but have never been released even on SACD. Many analogue recordings are archived as DSD. Somehow we need to create a web presence where these recordings can be identified and some how communicate the desire to recorded music publishers to make the DSD available to consumers.

Music Interests: http://www.onebitaudio.com

Apparently, while still waiting mine, I use Korg MR2000S plays my DSD files.

It has two problems:

1. Only files in internal disk can be played and the disk is limited to 128GB

2. It does not do gapless playing.

My source is LP recorded in DSD 128x and SACD rips at 64x.

I hope Mytek will have no problem plays gapless files and I can finally remove Korg from my playback chain and dedicate it to recording DSD only. Does it support ISOs? I guess it's more software feature though or software/hardware coordinating thingy...

Since I started it.

By now, anyone capable of comparing the Mytek to other known units? Ayre, Benchmark, Antelope, Bryston, Metric Halo....with CD quality rips?

Have had one on order since March 2011 from Vintage King (asked for a BNC SPDIF input)...been saying soon for months.

Tone with Soul

I have found the audiogate software to do a wonderful job of joining together the dsdiff files into one big album file, which plays marvelously & uninterrupted. Apparently the edit is a simple one, computationally, and will not degrade sonics. Files sound marvelous and I can playback dsd for days.

As to the mytek, mine is still breaking in.

This is cuttin' edge stuff. The heart and soul of computer audio playback! This thread is REALLY what this site is all about...Keep the posts/reviews/comments coming!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

My dCS pro units play dsd from over 10 years ago. The Mytek control scheme seems similar to the dCS scheme (good).

It has taken years for 'audiophiles' to catch on.

There was no sound reason for waiting. High quality universal players by Pioneer, Denon and others have always been tappable for 3 wire dsd playback to a suitable dac. The sound has always been very good.

fmak

Damien (Audirvana) sent me a USB-capable Audirvana Plus update, which I left sitting around, thinking I'd install it when Mytek sends the updated USB driver. No need (although the new driver will be nice, too). This version works with DSD!! So I rechecked Pure Music and it works too!! So I'm able to play my Mac Mini DSDIFF files via firewire or USB, with two players. Yeah!

I have to reiterate how analog-like DSD sounds, and that doesn't mean rolled off or too smooth or anything like I used to think "analog-like" meant. It means there seems to be no digital nature, no digital feel whatsoever, almost as if a slight tension in the music has been erased. One of the big benefits for me is the great ability to handle very high frequency energies on the music, with things like cymbals and piano transients. They sound natural. Even recordings where acoustic guitar is recorded somewhat hot (like Stones Beggars Banquet), an album where my PCM conversion breaks down, even at 24/176k. Not so with DSD, it's perfect timbre and energy. Also, when things get complex or multi-layers, the music stays together very nicely. Strings, violins, sound wonderful with DSD. Reminds me of native 24/192 done right (Barry's Soundkeeper recordings), but in this case a majority of these albums are not native DSD.

DSD is not a wow thing. It doesn't grab you like some 24 bit recordings do, but 2 minutes into the session you are hooked and realize everything sounds right, even the low level cues.

This site and forum made me decide to go for the mytek, thanks guys :-) I'm eagerly awaiting delivery, it should arrive tomorrow. I look forward subjecting it to a long music session and getting it to work with Linux using the FireWire port.

Btw is my unit does not have the latest firmware, should I update it straight away?