IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

16 minutes ago, PYP said:

I wasn't clear.  I upgraded the PC when I only had the Tambaqui.  It was a noticeable change.  Later, when I added the MU1, I only tried the PC that previously sounded very good with the Tambaqui but that was replaced with the upgraded PC now on the Tambaqui.  So, I really don't know how big a difference upgrading the PC on DAC would make to the sound of the combination.  

Are you saying that you listened to the Tambaqui/MU1 combination using the Prince on the Tambaqui and then switching it with the PC that was on the MU1 to determine your preference?

Hi PYP....  Yes, that's correct. I had what I believed to be a "very good" power cord on both the Tambaqui and "good" power cord on the MU1. Then I got the demo Prince from Sablon/Mark. So then I experiemented with all the combinations of my best PC and the Prince demo PC on the Tambaqui and the MU1. The Prince significantly elevated the performance of the Tambaqui. It also helped the MU1, but to a lesser degree. So I bought the Prince and doubt that it will ever leave my Tambaqui. Very highly recommended. It's end-game stuff for sure. The more I learn, the more I realize how important the source truely is.

31 minutes ago, mriguy said:

Hi PYP....  Yes, that's correct. I had what I believed to be a "very good" power cord on both the Tambaqui and "good" power cord on the MU1. Then I got the demo Prince from Sablon/Mark. So then I experiemented with all the combinations of my best PC and the Prince demo PC on the Tambaqui and the MU1. The Prince significantly elevated the performance of the Tambaqui. It also helped the MU1, but to a lesser degree. So I bought the Prince and doubt that it will ever leave my Tambaqui. Very highly recommended. It's end-game stuff for sure. The more I learn, the more I realize how important the source truely is.

A good and relevant experiment.  Agree that the DAC is the best place for an upgraded PC.  

I have been using Kubala-Sosna cables for a long time (started with a demo PC on an amp and liked the result).    All my cables save one (Shunyata cable to Shunyata power distributor) are now KS.   Of course, lots of options provided by a large market.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I tried the prince also on my amp (but not on the MMT) and it was very good.  Funny I also was able to get a hold of a king, and didn’t like it on my amp and dac, it probably helps other systems with different characteristics than mine…bizarre. 

The prince was on demo but sent it back to Mark. I will deal with it in another way.  I believe what is said. I’m a big fan of Sablon but just like with many things, the synergy has to be dealt with an in home trail. One would think there is a natural progression to get the top product in the line.  It wasn’t the case. 

Fwiw I also think the King would be better fitted with tube gear. 

Fleetwood Deville SQ < Bakoon AMP-51R < Mola Mola Tambaqui < Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP ADIO < Grimm MU1

• 1 month later...

Having made notes on upsampling DACs that would be great for processing (probably) 16/44.1 bit perfect flac - as an alternative to HQPlayer DSP on PC - the Mola Mola Tambaqui is winning on the home straight.

NB: Red Book rips only
NB: Fully offline/local playback only

PC > ASIO > optical > eR > RedNet D16 AES > Mutec MC-3+ USB > DAC >

I'm not in a dreadful rush. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, the technology behind Tambaqui dates back to 2018 (if not 2014).

I post to ask whether anybody has the inside track - or can make an educated guess - on whether Mola Mola are likely to develop a replacement for Tambaqui in the foreseeable future ...

... in which case I might be in even less of a rush.

Thanks 👍

33 minutes ago, Iving said:

Having made notes on upsampling DACs that would be great for processing (probably) 16/44.1 bit perfect flac - as an alternative to HQPlayer DSP on PC - the Mola Mola Tambaqui is winning on the home straight.

NB: Red Book rips only
NB: Fully offline/local playback only

PC > ASIO > optical > eR > RedNet D16 AES > Mutec MC-3+ USB > DAC >

I'm not in a dreadful rush. Besides, if I'm not mistaken, the technology behind Tambaqui dates back to 2018 (if not 2014).

I post to ask whether anybody has the inside track - or can make an educated guess - on whether Mola Mola are likely to develop a replacement for Tambaqui in the foreseeable future ...

... in which case I might be in even less of a rush.

Thanks 👍

Can't anew that, but can add a question:  To what extent could a software update bring an improvement using the existing hardware platform? 

Having experienced the benefit of adding the Grimm streamer/DDC, I can say that Grimm is also very good at the digital side of audio.  Perhaps of interest to you:  https://www.grimmaudio.com/publications/the-mu2-major-dac/

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

14 minutes ago, PYP said:

Thanks

The signal is routed through a first-class, relay based volume control section so that the analog output of the MU2 can be fed directly into a power amplifier. Additionally, up to two analog sources can be connected, allowing the MU2 to be both the digital and analog ‘hub’ in your HIFI system.

💖

On the shortlist ...

On 7/24/2023 at 10:12 AM, Iving said:

Besides, if I'm not mistaken, the technology behind Tambaqui dates back to 2018 (if not 2014).

I don't have the knowledge to agree or disagree, but what is the source for your statement?

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

12 minutes ago, Allan F said:

The source for your statement?

I read some post in this thread iirc that Tambaqui launched 2018, R&D having started 2014. I guess I could spend time digging it out if you could convince me that the matter is discussion-worthy?

Actually as early as 2013 according to @barrows

Edit:

from the Mola-Mola website:

BATTLING FOR EVERY DB JANUARY 3, 2014

Life's been way too interesting in the lab to sit down and report on the progress of the DAC. For the past few days I've been trying to find ways to force the Audio Precision to measure reliably to around -140dB. So far the only thing that has some impact is manually setting the input range a few notches higher. Otherwise, no luck. So this is where we are now.

see:  https://www.mola-mola.nl/history.php   

The Grimm MU2/Major DAC being very new technology (still not released), I'm interested to know how technology a decade older (Bruno's) would stack up against it.

Also been reading about Linn Organik.

I can't justify the respective technological attributes of these DACs. Above my tech. pay grade.

I'm just interested in a short list of DACs suitable for upsampling *instead* of HQPlayer.

It struck me that a few people say Tambaqui is the DAC that could persuade them to leave HQPlayer behind. Ironic that Jussi/HQPlayer surges ahead at the coal face of tech. whilst Tambaqui 10 years old. A long time in electronics.

(Actually if I went Mola Mola I'd go Makua.)

5 minutes ago, Iving said:

The Grimm MU2/Major DAC being very new technology (still not released), I'm interested to know how technology a decade older (Bruno's) would stack up against it.

Also been reading about Linn Organik.

I can't justify the respective technological attributes of these DACs. Above my tech. pay grade.

I'm just interested in a short list of DACs suitable for upsampling *instead* of HQPlayer.

It struck me that a few people say Tambaqui is the DAC that could persuade them to leave HQPlayer behind. Ironic that Jussi/HQPlayer surges ahead at the coal face of tech. whilst Tambaqui 10 years old. A long time in electronics.

(Actually if I went Mola Mola I'd go Makua.)

You mean I'm into vintage?  Cool.  🙃  

The MU1 (perhaps via the DDC function) does improve upon the Tambaqui.  The combo is very, very nice.  Sounds like music.  If the MU2 improves upon that (if nothing else it eliminates a meter of cable between server and DAC), it would be good to hear.   Given your setup, I can see how the Makua would be the preferred Mola Mola path.   Interested to read about your journey.  

56 minutes ago, Iving said:

I guess I could spend time digging it out if you could convince me that the matter is discussion-worthy?

As I have no skin in this game, I see no need to try to convince you of anything. 🙂

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

32 minutes ago, Allan F said:

As I have no skin in this game, I see no need to try to convince you of anything. 🙂

If you post days after a post, "The source for your statement?" without any conversation to go with it ...

.. then - when trouble has been taken to answer you - you have nothing to say at all except "As I have no skin in this game, I see no need to try to convince you of anything.", you are just being your usual prickly self and causing trouble.

Why on earth did you challenge me to supply a source for what I said. Sociopathic recreation?

1 hour ago, PYP said:

You mean I'm into vintage?  Cool.  🙃  

The MU1 (perhaps via the DDC function) does improve upon the Tambaqui.  The combo is very, very nice.  Sounds like music.  If the MU2 improves upon that (if nothing else it eliminates a meter of cable between server and DAC), it would be good to hear.   Given your setup, I can see how the Makua would be the preferred Mola Mola path.   Interested to read about your journey.  

The Makua as pre-amp has 2 analogue-in and an analogue vol. control. Also 2 x Balanced out (thinking vertical bi-amp as I do now). The DAC comes as a card. The phono too at "only" 2k.

It'll be great to read reviews of MU2.

Still interested to know whether Bruno is out to pasture or might improve on the Tambaqui in due course.

1 hour ago, Iving said:

Well if you want to compare

image.thumb.png.c42378606adf02e1a0a7f9c5c6dfc71c.png

then this HQPlayer versus a DAC that's resolution agnostic is a good starting place.

Also unless I'm missing something the Makua is older than the Tambaqui so I'm not sure I follow your concern over the Tambaqui not being the latest tech but you'd go back a few years further.

I'll declare my bias. I just bought a Tambaqui. Honestly speaking I couldn't have afforded it when it was launched. But it's more reasonable now. And compared to the Directstream DAC it's replacing I'm absolutely loving it. I'm not sure what your journey is but for me, dated tech or not, the Tambaqui is blowing my socks off 😁

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

1 minute ago, BigAlMc said:

Well if you want to compare

image.thumb.png.c42378606adf02e1a0a7f9c5c6dfc71c.png

then this HQPlayer versus a DAC that's resolution agnostic is a good starting place.

Also unless I'm missing something the Makua is older than the Tambaqui so I'm not sure I follow your concern over the Tambaqui not being the latest tech but you'd go back a few years further.

I'll declare my bias. I just bought a Tambaqui. Honestly speaking I couldn't have afforded it when it was launched. But it's more reasonable now. And compared to the Directstream DAC it's replacing I'm absolutely loving it. I'm not sure what your journey is but for me, dated tech or not, the Tambaqui is blowing my socks off 😁

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

I understand that HQPlayer vs. upsampling DACs in lieu of HQPlayer are apples and oranges.

I don't want to get into a downer/neg. on HQPlayer. In short I can't get on with it ergonomically. My use case is probably atypical.

To my ears HQPlayer improves on bit perfect in fb2k. I love fb2k and it does everything I want it to do.

So I want a DAC that will "compensate" SQ-wise for what HQPlayer does. I know it won't be the same. That doesn't matter to me in the final analysis.

I shall be happy if I can operate from my PC using fb2k and let the DAC do the SQ heavy lifting.

The DAC in the Makua and the Tambaqui will be the same I understand.

The irony of Mola Mola DAC being "old" tech. is what I'm testing in this thread. I agree it's all a bit rummy. But people do say Tambaqui is the DAC that could render use of HQPlayer redundant.

You are not alone in your enthusiasm for Tambaqui!

1 hour ago, Iving said:

7 minutes ago, Iving said:

Hi @lving,

I don't know if HQplayer and a suitable DAC is better than the Mola Mola.

I was seriously considering the T&A DAC 200 but in the end concluded all the upsampling was too much of a ball-ache for me. So I decided pick the best no upsampling (red book) DAC and that led me to the Mola Mola.

All I can say is it's knocking my socks off and I'm loving every second. But I don't for sure if HQP and a suitable DAC would better it.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

30 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

And compared to the Directstream DAC it's replacing I'm absolutely loving it. I'm not sure what your journey is but for me, dated tech or not, the Tambaqui is blowing my socks off 😁

Cheers,

Alan

Been there, done that.  😉  The in-home demo of the Tambaqui vs. my DS DAC was an ear opener.  My socks remain quiescent but the rest of me is moving most of the time.  I don't like to analyze gear, nor pick a favorite quality, but the rhythmic ability of the Tambaqui is unmistakable.  Listening to jazz, my attention is often drawn to the drums, just as it is listening live.  The Tambaqui has been around for a while, but I do believe it is a classic that won't get old.  

11 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi @lving,

I don't know if HQplayer and a suitable DAC is better than the Mola Mola.

I was seriously considering the T&A DAC 200 but in the end concluded all the upsampling was too much of a ball-ache for me. So I decided pick the best no upsampling (red book) DAC and that led me to the Mola Mola.

All I can say is it's knocking my socks off and I'm loving every second. But I don't for sure if HQP and a suitable DAC would better it.

Cheers,

Alan

Well - if I was going the other way - i.e. frontier PC specs. and following Jussi into the future, I'd be looking at Holo May as a starting point I guess.

Red Book (EAC rips to flac) is my only digital use. No internet at all.

Yes - I read up on T&A DAC 200 based on @Shadorne saying it was great with Red Book. I think T&A has dig. vol. control. No pre option with analogue-in and thru like Makua or Grimm MU2.

I'd even consider a streamer (cf. Grimm) just for the DAC. Like Linn DSM/2 with Organik upgrade. But no AES-in on Linn streamers - only sdpif.

Purely on specs atm, I'd favour probably Makua with DAC and phono cards.

But if Bruno is going to announce a new DAC some time soon I'd like to know!

38 minutes ago, Iving said:

Still interested to know whether Bruno is out to pasture or might improve on the Tambaqui in due course.

As you know, he is now in his own pasture working on drivers and amp modules.  My own take is that he hit it out of the park the first time and will let it speak for itself as is.  Mola Mola has "improved" upon his amp modules (they now say it is their design, but seem to use parts of his original design).  Will they try their hands at DAC improvements?  They have been very busy lately with new products, so perhaps the answer is "no" for a while.   Just speculation.  

Just now, PYP said:

As you know, he is now in his own pasture working on drivers and amp modules.  My own take is that he hit it out of the park the first time and will let it speak for itself as is.  Mola Mola has "improved" upon his amp modules (they now say it is their design, but seem to use parts of his original design).  Will they try their hands at DAC improvements?  They have been very busy lately with new products, so perhaps the answer is "no" for a while.   Just speculation.  

ty for educated speculation!

1 hour ago, Iving said:

Why on earth did you challenge me to supply a source for what I said. Sociopathic recreation?

Relax!. I simply asked you a question. I didn't intend to challenge you. That you interpreted it as such, combined with your final comment, says far more about you than me. Have a nice day.

10 minutes ago, Allan F said:

Relax!. I simply asked you a question. I didn't intend to challenge you. That you interpreted it as such, combined with your final comment, says far more about you than me. Have a nice day.

Do you have anything to say about Mola Mola DAC, its vintage as upsampling tech, relevance to Red Book playback - anything at all On Topic considering you started the conversation today? Anything On Topic?

33 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I suggest a large inhale, hold, and exhale. Then press play and listen to some music for a while. 

But at what resolution and which filter would you recommend this ?  😉