IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

52 minutes ago, barrows said:

The Sonore endPoint has an AES/EBU output which performs very well, with complete galvanic isolation and very low phase noise clocking if one is looking for a relatively affordable AES/EBU streamer.  See some details here:

https://www.sonore.us/endPoint.html

We do not make a lot of these, as most filks prefer to use our USB output Renderers, but for those who prefer an AES/EBU output this is an option.

56 minutes ago, barrows said:

The Sonore endPoint has an AES/EBU output which performs very well, with complete galvanic isolation and very low phase noise clocking if one is looking for a relatively affordable AES/EBU streamer.  See some details here:

We do not make a lot of these, as most filks prefer to use our USB output Renderers, but for those who prefer an AES/EBU output this is an option.

1 hour ago, barrows said:

1 minute ago, janN said:

But this endpoint does it support Roon?

Unfortunately, this device is not a Roon endpoint at this time.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

8 minutes ago, janN said:

But this endpoint does it support Roon?

from the features list:  

• Roon streaming supported via SonoreUPnP Bridge (sold separately)

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

7 minutes ago, PYP said:

from the features list:  

• Roon streaming supported via SonoreUPnP Bridge (sold separately)

This Sonore UPnP Bridge is not available and this means also another device and another LPS so for me this is not the solution

29 minutes ago, janN said:

13 minutes ago, barrows said:

Unfortunately, this device is not a Roon endpoint 

4 minutes ago, janN said:

This Sonore UPnP Bridge is not available and this means also another device and another LPS so for me this is not the solution

When I used the etherREGEN with a Teddy Pardo LPS with the MMT's ethernet input (MMT as Roon endpoint), the results were very good.  Is there some specific upgrade in musical enjoyment you are looking for?  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

4 minutes ago, janN said:

I'm just curious or it would be possible to reach a higher level if using a DCS Network Bridge or another streamer. The sound that I have now is already good but if I could make it better I should give it a try. 

Honestly, considering that the Tambaqui re-clocks and asynchronously re-samples all incoming rates to its own internal masterclock, I would doubt there could be any advantage to using AES/EBU over the Ethernet or USB inputs, as long as the Ethernet and/or USB forces were well sorted designs with low noise outputs.  Using an EtherRegen for Ethernet, via optical fiber and a short Ethernet cable to the DAC should be an ideal way to use the Ethernet input, and using a Sonore opticalRendu or Signature Rendu optical would be good ways to get the best performance out of the Ethernet and USB inputs, as both these sources, connected to the home Network via optical fiber, offer extremely high quality and low noise output.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

41 minutes ago, janN said:

I'm just curious or it would be possible to reach a higher level if using a DCS Network Bridge or another streamer. The sound that I have now is already good but if I could make it better I should give it a try. 

since you are in the Netherlands, there should be several dealers for the Grimm MU1.  Perhaps one of them has a used/demo model available for purchase, which would reduce the price.  Of course, you would want to try it at home even if buying a second-hand unit.  

As you may know, the Grimm is not only a streamer but also a digital-to-digital converter.  Its upsampling capability is a big part of the overall magic.  

2 hours ago, barrows said:

Honestly, considering that the Tambaqui re-clocks and asynchronously re-samples all incoming rates to its own internal masterclock, I would doubt there could be any advantage to using AES/EBU over the Ethernet or USB inputs, as long as the Ethernet and/or USB forces were well sorted designs with low noise outputs.  Using an EtherRegen for Ethernet, via optical fiber and a short Ethernet cable to the DAC should be an ideal way to use the Ethernet input, and using a Sonore opticalRendu or Signature Rendu optical would be good ways to get the best performance out of the Ethernet and USB inputs, as both these sources, connected to the home Network via optical fiber, offer extremely high quality and low noise output.

Thanks for the info.

So if I understand it well I should connect the Sonore Optical module with the Sonore fibre cable to the optical input of the Etheregen and then connect to the Tambaqui with my 0,75 m. ethernet cable?

3 hours ago, janN said:

Thanks for the info.

So if I understand it well I should connect the Sonore Optical module with the Sonore fibre cable to the optical input of the Etheregen and then connect to the Tambaqui with my 0,75 m. ethernet cable?

Yeah, I think would be an ideal way to use the Tambaqui's Ethernet input, as it would provide a very high degree of isolation from any Network noise.

SONORE computer audio

53 minutes ago, matthias said:

Interesting comment from another forum regarding the streamer board of the Tambaqui:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-mola-mola-tambaqui-revuew.36513/page-5#post-916428

Matt

The Grimm MU1 again.., seems very good but price is keeping me away from  it.  But I'll give it a listening in the coming time.

But at these level differences become very small.

This moning I listened to my Tambaqui with Etheregen and sound was good in combination wit my Nad M23 an SF Serafino G2. Probabli I'll try first something witg an optical connection from my Switch to the Etheregen.

8 minutes ago, janN said:

The Grimm MU1 again..

Here is a comparison of the sound signature of Grimm vs Taiko:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-1005#post-916228

If CP is right, the Grimm would not be my cup of tea but certainly there are other options.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, matthias said:

Interesting comment from another forum regarding the streamer board of the Tambaqui:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/my-mola-mola-tambaqui-revuew.36513/page-5#post-916428

Matt

The mentioned thread does not appear to state what the Network situation was...  The configuration of the Network is going to have an influence on the sound of using the Tambaqui Ethernet input.  If one just connects the Ethernet input to a busy home Network, with no attempt to reduce the Network noise, then the results will not be what they could be.

On the other hand, if one uses an approach like running a pair of Sonore opticalModules (one at the upstream switch, one close to the Tambaqui) with a run of optical cable to the audio system, with good power supplies on the opticalModules and a good, short, Ethernet cable to the Tambaqui (short to avoid any noise pick up there), one will have different results.  Likely even, probably, a little bit better would be an opticalModule upstream, and an etherRegen downstream-providing a degree more isolation.  By running optical fiber to the audio system one avoids most of the Network noise getting to the Tamabaqui, and by using quality, designed for audio (like the Sonore and UpTone products mentioned), optical converters, one also adds in better clock quality for the Ethernet clocks, which, surprisingly, also improves the sound.

Just as the quality of the USB source matters (from a noise perspective), so does the quality of the Ethernet source.

SONORE computer audio

24 minutes ago, matthias said:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/taiko-audio-sgm-extreme-the-crème-de-la-crème.27433/page-1005#post-916228

If CP is right, the Grimm would not be my cup of tea but certainly there are other options.

Matt

It is always "compared to what?" but I don't hear the Grimm as "lean, staccato, a little coarse, and tonally relatively gray."   I would describe the sound of my setup as ALIVE.  Not necessarily LIVE, since that isn't possible.  But, engaging, rich, textured and with the kind of timbre that includes the subtle characteristics of how the particular instrument moves the air around it.  

Am I imagining all of this?  Maybe.  That would be OK since placebos work.  But my wife has a lot of favorite new albums lately.    

8 hours ago, PYP said:

It is always "compared to what?" but I don't hear the Grimm as "lean, staccato, a little coarse, and tonally relatively gray."   I would describe the sound of my setup as ALIVE.  Not necessarily LIVE, since that isn't possible.  But, engaging, rich, textured and with the kind of timbre that includes the subtle characteristics of how the particular instrument moves the air around it.  

Am I imagining all of this?  Maybe.  That would be OK since placebos work.  But my wife has a lot of favorite new albums lately.    

Audiophiles always seem to have things back to front when trying to describe what dictates the character of a particular system - it's always the worst part of the chain that dictates any character; not, the best part. And that worst part could be, say, a particularly poor choice of RCA socket on one of the components - having "perfect" everything elsewhere won't compensate for that one lousy link in the setup; in fact, it makes it easier to hear the damage being done by the single flaw!

On 10/20/2023 at 4:06 PM, matthias said:

Matt

Post in thread 'Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 Deluxe - ending point in my search for a new reference'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cen-grand-dsdac-1-0-deluxe-ending-point-in-my-search-for-a-new-reference.966809/post-17770650

[SOURCE] Ideon Absolute Stream -> Ideon Absolute Time -> [DAC] APL Hifi DSD-MR SE -> [AMP] Dan d’Agostino Progression INT -> [LS] EgglestoneWorks Savoy SE (supported by Stealth Audio cabling, Ansuz network, Stromtank power)

Since the MU1 has several settings for upsampling, I wonder how many folks demo the unit by trying the different settings to find the synergy with the particular DAC they use.  

Do any MMT owners use oversampling other than 4fs oversampling?

I would be interested in hearing the new MU2 since Grimm can fine-tune their DAC to the streamer.   Other companies do the same thing, but typically the streamer and DAC sit in different boxes.  I assume the very short distance between streamer and DAC in the MU2 is another advantage.  

4 hours ago, Vincent des Champs said:

Post in thread 'Cen.Grand DSDAC 1.0 Deluxe - ending point in my search for a new reference'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cen-grand-dsdac-1-0-deluxe-ending-point-in-my-search-for-a-new-reference.966809/post-17770650

Interesting!

Maybe you can include the XACT S1 into the mix of candidates. It is in same price range as MU1. The same guy I quoted 8 posts before on this page (a MU1 owner) found it much superior to MU1 (but he missed Roon).

Matt

2 hours ago, PYP said:

I would be interested in hearing the new MU2 since Grimm can fine-tune their DAC to the streamer.   Other companies do the same thing, but typically the streamer and DAC sit in different boxes.  I assume the very short distance between streamer and DAC in the MU2 is another advantage.  

Taiko offers also an upcoming integrated DAC for the Extreme.

Matt