IGNORED

Can I Run Romex Wire Between Joists In Photo?

The Computer Audiophile

Question

Hi Guys - Does anyone know if it's safe to run Romex electrical wire through the joists pictured below? The insulation seen in the photo is from 1941. The wire would run on top of the insulation.

This is so I can put in another electrical outlet that runs to my dedicated sub panel for my audio system.

IMG_2013.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

When running electrical wire through boards or beams, first find out what your local electrical codes require and follow them,

that protects you in case of home insurance  claim for wiring caused fire.  Assuming you have 2x4 or bigger boards

1) use metal kick plates to protect the wire at any point where you must run the wire close to  wall surface in a living area.

Board to steel girder/cinder block may create a situation where you have to notch a 2x4 board and run the wire

close to the surface of the board. This  shields the wire from wallboard nails/screws

2) do not  run wiring  on top of the  attic boards that make up your living area ceiling, as stated above drill holes through

the center of the board and run wire through those holes. This protects you if you walk on, place things on or later

add flooring onto your attic.

3) use wiring staples at every bend in the wire and approximately 2' apart on the wire runs to attach the wire vertically
to permanent support boards. The wire should be in the center of the board away from accidental contact.

This keeps the wire out of harms way and anchors the wire against ill advised tugs on the wire after installation

When going board to board, drill holes in the center, best habit is to do this  near  the top end of the board to avoid

trip hazards in open board areas.

4) do not use the "stab" holes on the back of wall plugs as these are poor connections, eventual point source failures

from corrosion. Always use the side screw down terminals for maximum surface area contact. If you are using 12 gauge

you will be forced to do this but then you should also install a dedicated 20A breaker

I have heard the story about rats eating newer wiring, you would need to assess if this is an issue. I'd be more concerned

about this in garage and basement of an older house, not a loft.

Be very sure that what you have for wiring is not aluminum or copper clad aluminum. They are a poorer conductor and

a fire hazard

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Those of you who are concerned about mice or rats eating wires - then deal with your mice or rat problem first! Having run out a pair of rats from my basement office last month I can tell you they wreak more havoc than just eating wires. Once their ‘toilet’ was exposed the smell was almost unbearable. Rodent proof before worrying about sound quality. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

On 11/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - Does anyone know if it's safe to run Romex electrical wire through the joists pictured below? The insulation seen in the photo is from 1941. The wire would run on top of the insulation.

This is so I can put in another electrical outlet that runs to my dedicated sub panel for my audio system.

IMG_2013.jpg

mmm, looking at your picture you may have no option other than shielded cable/conduit  if the space is too small to crawl through and staple. You will need to strap the cable/conduit down at its endpoints for stress relief.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Also, if your insulation has lots of silvery glitter in it then you may not want to disturb it. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

21 minutes ago, davide256 said:

mmm, looking at your picture you may have no option other than shielded cable/conduit  if the space is too small to crawl through and staple. You will need to strap the cable/conduit down at its endpoints for stress relief.

From the photo, it looks like holes can be drilled in the framing. No need for conduit or straps inside the framing area.

5 hours ago, Speedskater said:

What is the "IR" test that you reference?

Thinking about it some more:

a] I doubt that it's an "InfraRed" test. That is a test that our insurance required once a year. An inspector with an infrared camera would look at all the possible electrical hot spots in the factory and office.

b] So maybe it's an "Insulation Resistance" breakdown test.  This is a challenging test, usually done when a building structure is compromised (say by a flood or fire).  It requires a very skilled technician.  Because the test voltage may be 500V DC, everything that might be damaged needs to be disconnected. A modern home has so many items hardwired that it's a big chore.  Things like GFCI receptacles, light dimmers, remote controls, USB chargers, smoke detector system security systems, LED indicators and most every hardwired appliance.

8 hours ago, Speedskater said:

What is the "IR" test that you reference?

With the new rules, the actual testing procedure is more streamlined. Once the fixed wiring is installed and all compliance with that occurs, the next stage is electrical testing.

Results are recorded.

image.thumb.png.90fac5653b8e9c59fe23b573854b31fe.png

So the IR or Insulation Resistance test is performed as a normal part of testing, like for polarity and earth fault. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

That’s funny. And yes, lucky! My wife and I were not so responsible... ;)

19 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Let me try this again:  You almost certainly have more than two.

Well, fortunately not. Perhaps one was ‘with child’ when I caught it, but definitely dodged that bullet. 

Kids, well that’s another story. Why I guffaw (mostly with jealousy) every time somebody mentions their ‘listening room.’ Of course both bring way more pleasure than any hifi ever could...

The short answer is yes, use 12/2 and go with a 20 amp breaker at the box.

Don’t pull it tight, leave slack. I doubt you can use metal staples, try to get some cushion screw clamps like these to hold where possible (I bet access will be difficult).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Bender-3-8-in-Stainless-Steel-Cushion-Clamp-2-Pack-Case-of-5-XTM-401/301639708

use common sense, you’ll be fine.

YouTube has tons on wiring connections as well.

JD

Why not use BX I.e. metal clad wires instead of NM (Romex). Should have much better noise rejection as it is twisted and screened and rodent  proof. I have to renovate my house which still has a lot of post (knob) and tube wiring and that is terrible considering safety and electrical noise issues (single spaced wires). At least for my listening room I am planning 10 or 8 awg (not much cost more if one does not get audiophile grade).

Having done some BX stuff, no, don't do it.  I know the suggestion is offered with the best intentions.  So not cracking on anyone.  But I'd go romex as applicable (and in Chris' case it is) or I'd go conduit and THHN wires.  BX is really not getting you much and the other solutions are better for this kind of situation.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.