IGNORED

Bird Music

1 hour ago, sphinxsix said:

Is it possible to upvote a post twice? BTW who are the Trashmen.?! Gotta google those guys!

"The Rivingtons followed up their 1962 Billboard Hot 100 hit "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" with the similar "The Bird's the Word" in 1963. The Trashmen had not heard this version but saw a band called the Sorensen Brothers playing it.[2] They decided to play the song that night at their own gig. During this first performance, drummer and vocalist Steve Wahrer stopped playing and ad-libbed the "Surfin' Bird" middle section.[2] Despite not knowing "The Bird's the Word" was a Rivingtons song, the similarity to "Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow" was obvious and the Trashmen added the chorus to the end of their new track.

A local disc jockey, Bill Diehl, was at the gig and convinced the band to record the track.[2] It was recorded at Kay Bank Studios in Minneapolis. Diehl entered it into a local battle of the bands competition and it won. It was then sent to a battle of the bands competition in Chicago where it also won.[2] This led to the group being signed to Garrett Records with the single being quickly released. It reportedly sold 30,000 copies in its first weekend[2] before going on to national success, reaching No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100. Wahrer was originally credited as the song's writer, but that was changed to the Rivingtons (Al Frazier, Carl White, Sonny Harris, and Turner Wilson Jr.) after the group successfully sued the Trashmen for plagiarism."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfin'_Bird

???

4 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

I'm sure you are aware there is even a whole album by one of our favorite pianists dedicated to this bird..          

maxresdefault.jpg

Speaking of a blackbird. Strangely enough the song comes from so called 'White' album..

Sure, it’s been covered a gazillion times, I also like Miled Davis classic version 

19 hours ago, Hugo9000 said:

Roberta Peters is spectacular here:

How can one even sing like this.? It's impossible! I bet it's some clever overdubbing ;)

(These are my usual reactions to coloratura sopranos like this..)

On 11/7/2018 at 11:00 PM, AnotherSpin said:

One of the few 20th century poets (I focused mainly on his poetry) who could really move me.

Didn't succeed. Made a mistake with the last spectrogram. I guess musicians won't have a problem with this:

On 11/7/2018 at 2:06 AM, AudioDoctor said:

So, did you read the study?  One of the authors is Emily Doolittle hahaha!  Dr. Doolittle is trying to talk to the animals! :D (Do you imagine she's annoyed at people saying that by now?  Surely I'm not the only one making that lame amazing joke lol)  Pity that co-researcher Tecumseh Fitch's surname isn't Finch, however.  Well, perhaps the editor made a typo?

http://www.pnas.org/content/111/46/16616

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子

On 11/6/2018 at 10:41 PM, wgscott said:

51GqY1HRBnL._SX425_.jpg

I got this in 1982 from LL Bean when in college in Maine, on thick vinyl that easily scratches.

I finally broke down and got a digital copy as well.

Listening now, it's on Spotify!  Many thanks!

请教别人一次是5分钟的傻子,从不请教别人是一辈子的傻子