IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Ah, the same delusional results that @ray-dude gets, is it? Shame that he spent so much money, using his individual way to fool himself, don't you think?

As I predicted you tend to align yourself with @ray-dude to try and establish some sort of credibility, presumably the nature of the endgame, best quality sound. Ironically, it only serves to highlight how absurd your claims are, to achieve like quality with such low end gear.

You wax lyrically about what good sound is. You always conveniently ignore the fact that your non-existent method applied to low end gear cannot produce such sound quality, and that it cannot be better than 99% of the high-end gear owned by the members in this forum.

This is insulting to the members of this forum and I believe that you are well aware of this. You play them for fools. When asked for evidence you can't produce it because it doesn't exist. This is why you will not produce photographs of your magic handiwork. You just produce another episode in "Frank's Fables" which really is just another way of insulting people.

It is extraordinarily highly likely that the vast majority of members in this forum have greatly superior sound quality than you have ever achieved in your entire lifetime of tweaking low end gear. It is extraordinarily highly likely that the vast majority of members in this forum have already got much closer to your very own descriptions of what is good sound quality.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

54 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Note the snob coming out - only "good stuff" enables quality listening.

You can make personal attacks like calling people snobs but that (as usual) doesn't address what I said, that I predicted you would align yourself with @ray-dude to try and establish some sort of credibility, presumably the nature of the endgame, best quality sound. Ironically, it only serves to highlight how absurd your claims are, to achieve like quality with such low end gear.

54 minutes ago, fas42 said:

What it does is eliminate the disturbing audio anomalies that instantly identify the sound you listen to, as being that coming from an audio rig. Irrespective of the latter's cost.

Once again you completely ignore what I said and simply regurgitate your unsubstantiated claims i.e. conveniently ignoring the fact that your non-existent method applied to low end gear cannot produce such claimed sound quality, and that it cannot be better than 99% of the high-end gear owned by the members in this forum.

This is insulting to the members of this forum and I believe that you are well aware of this. You play them for fools. When asked for evidence you can't produce it because it doesn't exist. This is why you will not produce photographs of your magic handiwork. You just produce another episode in "Frank's Fables" which really is just another way of insulting people.

It is extraordinarily highly likely that the vast majority of members in this forum have greatly superior sound quality than you have ever achieved in your entire lifetime of tweaking low end gear. It is extraordinarily highly likely that the vast majority of members in this forum have already got much closer to your very own descriptions of what is good sound quality.

Pictures please. I think it's time that Frank's Fables are accompanied by pictures. I submit that if you do not have pictures your Fables could be interpreted as fibs, Frank's Fibs hmmmmn, has a ring to it🤔

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Yes, on the business on what we do with a component, to improve its subjective performance - all bets are off, 😉. People hear with different ears - so if they prefer a certain configuration of capacitors, "because it sounds better, to them" ... no quibbles ...

that's my 8th irony meter you've exploded in this thread alone !

Sound Minds Mind Sound

9 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I use simple, cheap, direct methods for doing the same.

Let's see 'em Frank !

So far in the last few pages people who disagree with you are "lazy", "snobs", "smarty pants", and even a slur about my profession.

Surely it must be time to put up or shut up ...let's get some pics of these "simple, cheap, direct methods" .

Sound Minds Mind Sound

9 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Right, so you want a picture of stock standard Edifiers stuck on some old, slighty heavy speakers, which are stuck to a slab of concrete, which is sitting on a floor with carpet - with a whole lot of paper on top of the lot, stretching, say, to the ceiling? I call this mass loading, which can be done in a million ways - any of which will be as good as the next ... I just happen to use what is convenient, and which makes it easy to fine tune the weighting.

And this miracle picture will demonstrate, what?

Let's see

Sound Minds Mind Sound

13 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Right, I'll do even better - your very own assembly kit of goodies, to fashion just the way it appeals.

First up, carpet:

Berber Carpet Remnant Roll End In Dusk Grey Wool Loop Rib Pile ...

And then, a nice lump of concrete:

Pre Cast Concrete Slab 300mm x 300mm x 40mm - Blacktown Building ...

A juicy old speaker gets into the act:

Technics SB-5000 Two Way Bass Reflex Loudspeaker System Manual ...

And a smidgin of Edifier:

Reviewed: Edifier S2000Pro Speakers - PC Tech Reviews Australia

And to taste, lots of paper:

What is the correct way, the pile of papers or the piles of papers ...

Assemble all these in any order you wish - I tend to follow a certain sequence myself - and, voila!

sony-world-photography-awards-2019-24-5c619472d486b__880.thumb.jpg.788f5b799c832b4bd0564d9671bbd07e.jpg

It's nice to share pics from the internet, so I'll contribute one.

Now, can we see your actual pics showing the tweaks?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

read the thread  - it doesn’t explain everything, it doesn’t explain nothing, it explains some things. (Local allusion ... 🙂)

It explains nothing:

from "a whole lot of entertainment boxes plugged into the same extension box was not the best for SQ, so, tweak 1"

to "I will need to get serious, and start working with my usual bag of tricks"

and one of my favs "found another piece of scrap plastic had landed where it shouldn't have"

So, where are those pics Frank of the real stuff?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

2 hours ago, MarkusBarkus said:

...I have only been following AS for about six months. During that time, I have gained insight and good food for thought on a number of topics, such that I thought I should "join" and be more interactive. 

The notable exception to this forum as a knowledge exchange is this thread, which has to be enjoyed, if at all, purely for entertainment purposes.

I imagine Mr. fas42 is *actually* conducting a social experiment regarding online communities.

Nothing else makes sense (nothing that doesn't involve counseling and managed medication protocols too sad to contemplate) in a reasonable world. 

Some of the silliest comments and most convoluted logic I have read in a long time resides on this thread. And I read *a lot.*

Well done Mr. fas42.

I hereby submit you should be promoted to Mr. "fas43," effective mediately, with all relevant pay and fringe benefits associated with said promotion.

Congratulation and well done, sir! Now pass the popcorn!

Without getting into the "counselling and managed medication protocols" I think you are right, well to put it in layman's terms, that Frank has 'issues'. I have touched on some of these together with IMO an underlying agenda, so I won't elaborate here.

So the question is why then the apparent fascination. Clearly, nonsense is everywhere on the Internet so what makes Franks brand of 'noise', which is so transparently evident as 'noise', so apparently fascinating to some members?

Probably many of us have more time on our hands because of the pandemic. There is the entertainment aspect if one likes to puzzle over the next twist in the plot. There is also the strong insulting nature of the 'noise' whether stated or implied which draws attention and response of 'you can't say that sort of crap and get away with it'. If nothing else it is the sheer tenacity and perseverance which appears to be beyond all rationality that draws people in like watching a train wreck.

The tactics are also unusual in that he combines defeasible reasoning peppered with just enough half-truths and self evident axioms and what I call 'motherhood' platitudes (Frank's fables)  in a mendacious package (Franks fibs) together with backflips and contradictions, irrelevancies, paltering and obfuscation. You literally find yourself scratching your head because even in various other contentious topics that one sees debated on the Internet, whether it be audio, religion, politics, climate change, I have never come across the extent to which Frank can pull this off and apparently keep a 'straight face'.

There is one other tactic that serves Frank very well I think. He posts so much stuff over so many threads that it is literally impossible to keep track of. So if he contradicts himself or changes his tune in some way when it suits, it is very difficult to wade back through hundreds, potentially thousands of pages to 'produce the goods'. Not a particularly good example but in the last page or two Frank wrote, "it shouldn't matter in the slightest what the quality of the power feed was like - a well performing rig should be able to be plugged into the most mediocre sockets arrangement, and that not make a difference." Not so long ago he wrote in response to buying decent/high-end equipment that shouldn't require such measures he wrote, "the greater the potential, the fussier you have to be - so, measures are necessary, and if done thoroughly, are highly effective." Now, one of course could make an argument either way and Frank being aware of this will simply change his tack as he goes along and encounters the prevailing winds. When caught out he has a repertoire of responses in order to avoid addressing the issue. Some are better than others, like he will say that was out of context. And of course the onus is on the person to go and find the quote and read through pages of nonsense, which he knows is unlikely. Quite often he just states something totally irrelevant like to paraphrase, yes but if you walk higher up on the hill the vista is always better. This is just gamesmanship and insults the intelligence of people in the discussion.

It is quite obvious that you cannot 'win' an argument with Frank because most of us use logic and reasoning in the usual sense and you cannot reason a person out of a place that they did not use reason to arrive at in the first place. They have invented their own place and it is unassailable. But there is something in our rational minds that simply makes some of us want to try. The more sensible members of course never come into this thread or engage Frank on the topic of his 'method'.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

16 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Right, so you don't care ...

Frank, time to take a break and regroup.

In principle, I am all for what you are trying to achieve. It is really what we are all trying to achieve. Just don't "poo" on my turf. 

Maybe you and I and Alex ( @sandyk)  should meet over a glass of wine or cup of coffee.

From the Blue Mountains to the Hunter Valley in Oz

Its your call Frank

Sound Minds Mind Sound

3 hours ago, fas42 said:

Just thought of a beauty, of a 'difficult' track - I used this 15 years ago, to squeeze the maximum out of the playback; played it over and over and over again ...I can still listen to it, and enjoy it, 😀

Frank the reason this can sound not half bad is it is fairly simple and non-congested. I love the stones but most of the recordings are atrocious. As I have said many times I prefer to listen to them on a 'good' car sound system which is far less resolving and far more forgiving, truncating nasty highs and not even attempting true deep bass for proper dynamics.

Sound Minds Mind Sound