IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

5 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Hi Anthony,

wow, that's some pretty impressive weight in those amplifiers! My Mephisto weighs in at a puny 108 kg!!:) It is the stereo version. I could have gone for mono blocks (doubling the weight ha ha) but it still wouldn't come close to yours. I previously owned the reference one Gryphon mono blocks. I didn't need mono blocks this time especially since I upgraded to the Vivid speakers.

I am now in the Hunter Valley and if I recall correctly you are up Toowoomba way. We must catch up one day after the big V is gone.

LOL my Pioneer M-22 weighs  a puny 55 lbs and it is only an anemic 30 WPC (actually, when it was recently rebuilt by a friend, it measured 38 WPC) :D

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

10 minutes ago, Confused said:

Out of interest, how much audible difference to the sound would you expect this to make?

You mean measurable or subjective difference? I do not think routing the cables will make a measurable difference. Subjective, yes, as your brain fills in what you expect to hear.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

11 hours ago, Confused said:

To be honest, I cannot.  However, if you advise what you are picking up, it might provide some clarity as to how and what you are picking up as weaknesses based on YouTube clips.  This might be enlightening.

Well, I've just been enlightened!! I jumped to a couple of spots, said, right, there's a clear anomaly, noted the timing, was about to post those settings, and then thought, I might just check something - and repeated the playing from where I had written the time - in the video which had been paused in the meantime. What??! ... the quality had jumped up to a much higher standard ... what was going on?? Some more checking, including on a completely different video, on the same YT channel - same behaviour!

Okay, what appears to be going on, for me, is a combination of how YT, the browser, and my laptop works - if I'm listening in the conventional way, just letting the clip run from the beginning, then the processing overheads caused enough SQ issues to very obvious - which I attributed to the event being recorded. Now, I have often downloaded a clip video, and always found the SQ to be far better if I extracted the audio, and played it on my preferred app - which I attributed to a better playback chain, at that moment.

But the direct, instantaneous YT feed, interacting with my computer, was the real culprit. Okay, you might say, then why does playing a true source clip come across well most times? My thought is that if there is enough "margin of error" in the actual quality of what the source is, then the perceived SQ will be OK - but if it has dropped significantly, by being the recording of a good replay of the same, then the combined losses of that whole chain are too much - and it will sound 'wrong'.

I've just learnt something, 😵 ... if the YT audio rendering is suspect at some point, then merely 'rewind' to the point, meaning that the 'buffered' data is then used, rather than the instantaneous feed - which may be enough to lift the quality to a sufficient level ... 🙂. The obvious alternative is to download, extract, etc - but this is overkill for most YT viewing.

So, what I will do is extract the audio from that Gryphon clip - and listen more carefully ... to give it a "fair hearing", 😉.

5 hours ago, Confused said:

Out of interest, how much audible difference to the sound would you expect this to make?

It can be a very great deal ... the original good rig was exceedingly simple, with short, very direct runs of cable ... BUT, the speaker cables were lying on the carpeted floor! In hindsight, I suspect this was THE issue - but I had zero knowledge of such things being important back then ... these days, I go to "extreme" lengths to get this right - and it's trivially easy to hear when one gets it wrong. Symptoms are that the sound "goes dead" - the life and sparkle that natural sounds have is sucked out of the music; it becomes boring, tedious to listen to.

You're missing the point, Alex - every processing operation is like a reel tape generational loss - use the best R2R tape decks, do a copy of the master, do a copy of that copy, again and again - by the 20th iteration, the SQ will most likely be pretty mediocre, and obviously so. In spite of the fact that the master was pristine, and you used the best machines to do the generational thing.

The name of the game is to reduce those losses, when you listen to the replay of something, to the lowest possible level - if you do it really well, then subjectively, it will be indistinguishable from the source - the contents of the recording you're listening to. The very best audiophile playback will always be 'lossy', but hopefully you will get away with it, in the flesh - it will sound, "as good as it gets". But add further "generational losses", like the direct YT playback, as I described, then the imperfections of that first playback are now magnified enough to be clearly heard.

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

You're missing the point, Alex - every processing operation is like a reel tape generational loss - use the best R2R tape decks, do a copy of the master, do a copy of that copy, again and again - by the 20th iteration, the SQ will most likely be pretty mediocre, and obviously so. In spite of the fact that the master was pristine, and you used the best machines to do the generational thing.

The name of the game is to reduce those losses, when you listen to the replay of something, to the lowest possible level - if you do it really well, then subjectively, it will be indistinguishable from the source - the contents of the recording you're listening to. The very best audiophile playback will always be 'lossy', but hopefully you will get away with it, in the flesh - it will sound, "as good as it gets". But add further "generational losses", like the direct YT playback, as I described, then the imperfections of that first playback are now magnified enough to be clearly heard.

You are missing the point, starting with a lesser initial subject, based on what you say, it will only get worse. Why start there?

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

8 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Frank,

We have been talking about listening to the best copy possible and you want to go to a youtube video? That is like taking a 96K MP3 and comparing it to a DSD64 file. That is utter nonsense.

You have been obfuscating for too long in this thread.

What is your system? We have shown our hands, time to show yours. No more bluffing.

No matter how poor a system is for reproducing, for where you're listening - it still creates a level playing field. You listen, on that terrible system, to a recording of a piano, and the playback of a capture of that piano, on a supposedly perfect system, which are both on the one recording - say, first real, then playback, then real, etc. It that ideal rig used did its job, you wouldn't be able to distinguish the real, from the playback.

The system I have is trivially obvious, and is as stated; the tweaks and workarounds are not simple, and completely invisible, or meaningless, in pictures. Thinking that an image of what I've done will tell you anything useful merely points that you don't understand my message.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

It can be a very great deal ... the original good rig was exceedingly simple, with short, very direct runs of cable ... BUT, the speaker cables were lying on the carpeted floor! In hindsight, I suspect this was THE issue - but I had zero knowledge of such things being important back then ... these days, I go to "extreme" lengths to get this right - and it's trivially easy to hear when one gets it wrong. Symptoms are that the sound "goes dead" - the life and sparkle that natural sounds have is sucked out of the music; it becomes boring, tedious to listen to.

We look forward to the Video Frank ! 😃

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 hour ago, kumakuma said:

I believe folks here are looking for proof that your equipment actually exists so I suggest that you also include a copy of today's newspaper.

unnamed.jpg.2f64111efc8d0a55a0217bb8b7ef6eae.jpg

My God, I'm so skint I can't afford a basic DVD player, or $US250 speakers - how can audiophiles sink to such levels ... the truth is, you're going to get a picture of a column of the stuff that I showed in an earlier post, with a black curtain behind; and a large TV next to it, on a simple entertainment unit, with the DVD player on one of its shelves ... that's it, boys and girls - and I'm going to be pissed, because I will have to move a lot of stuff to get anything which resembles a decent frontal shot.

Now, if that excites the pants off everyone, you can motivate me to move the stuff in the way, in some fashion 😁 - you see, the audio fits in with with what's already there - it has no special, "home".