IGNORED

Fas42’s Stereo ‘Magic’

20 minutes ago, fas42 said:

You know, you've already got clips of earlier systems running on my YT channel - no problems with ambient noise there, I run the volumes at levels such that that's not a factor.

Ambient noise level is ALWAYS a factor when making recordings, whether it's from musicians in the room, or the output of a pair of speakers.

Even Air Conditioning running in Quiet Mode can mask low level detail as David can verify from a listening session at his previous address.

in a recording studio we aim to have a low dB SPL when everything is quiet. You are limited by air conditioning noise and other external sounds. A good number to shoot for is 20–30 dB SPL, C weighted."

That is likely to be at least 20dB less than at your place with the neighbours at work.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

9 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Ambient noise level is ALWAYS a factor when making recordings, whether it's from musicians in the room, or the output of a pair of speakers.

in a recording studio we aim to have a low dB SPL when everything is quiet. You are limited by air conditioning noise and other external sounds. A good number to shoot for is 20–30 dB SPL, C weighted."

But the point of the recording is demonstrate characteristics of the SQ, not to have exceptional signal to noise ratios - last time I checked, I didn't notice street buskers being given the cold shoulder by passersby - because they were disturbed by surrounding noises.

If someone can't bear listening to a recording because there is "too much noise", then I would suggest they have some type of hearing weakness; or the quality of the playback is too poor.

I typically run at volumes where it's impossible to hear the phone if it rings, say  - whatever dB that translates to.

32 minutes ago, acg said:

Warning....Off topic!!

David, nice to see your room.  Nearly made it to see you a few years back and I will have to get down that way once this pandemic is over.  I helped lug around a different Gryphon amplifier for a friend and it was tremendously heavy, sort of like this one I suppose at about 100kg.  No wonder the table is buckling!

Love this new technology getting the size and weight down.  My power amps are a four box affair, two power supplies (100kg each) and two monoblocs (150kg each) totalling 250kg each side (500kg total)...all diy...and across all twelve channels of single ended triodes would be lucky to make a total of 30watts.  In the running for the worst power to weight ratio on the planet I reckon but they do sound "real" and like yours I doubt my wife could toss them out even if she wanted to...haha.  Truly excellent room warmer in winter too.

Hi Anthony,

wow, that's some pretty impressive weight in those amplifiers! My Mephisto weighs in at a puny 108 kg!!:) It is the stereo version. I could have gone for mono blocks (doubling the weight ha ha) but it still wouldn't come close to yours. I previously owned the reference one Gryphon mono blocks. I didn't need mono blocks this time especially since I upgraded to the Vivid speakers.

I am now in the Hunter Valley and if I recall correctly you are up Toowoomba way. We must catch up one day after the big V is gone.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

49 minutes ago, fas42 said:

But the point of the recording is demonstrate characteristics of the SQ, not to have exceptional signal to noise ratios - last time I checked, I didn't notice street buskers being given the cold shoulder by passersby - because they were disturbed by surrounding noises.

If someone can't bear listening to a recording because there is "too much noise", then I would suggest they have some type of hearing weakness; or the quality of the playback is too poor.

I solved the busker problem by not letting them into my listening room😁

49 minutes ago, fas42 said:

I typically run at volumes where it's impossible to hear the phone if it rings, say  - whatever dB that translates to.

The translation is .....too loud🤣,! Unless the phone is kept at that neighbours place you keep mentioning🤣

Sound Minds Mind Sound

23 minutes ago, acg said:

My point without actually making it is that most speakers cannot play that loud to start with without falling apart due to distortion,  compression, bottoming out,  port chuffing et cetera.  Some can... but they are large speakers usually with pro drivers.   My speakers can because they are enormous and pull maybe 0.3watts for those peaks. 

The reason Frank can't hear the phone is probably because of distortion,  compression,  bottoming out and so on... the physical constraints of the loudspeaker at those volumes... and for me that cannot be convincing sound on any level because that is make your ears hurt kind of sound not good sound. 

So something like these bookshelf speakers should do the trick, right?🙄🤷‍♂️

1229798325_Screenshot_2020-08-19EdifierS1000DBAudiophileActiveBookshelfSpeakers-Bluetooth40-OpticalInput-PoweredNear-F....png.2d7e18b1c0c3cdd793e3ae133d6eb47d.png

Sound Minds Mind Sound

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

I guess that explains a lot ! 😀

It's impossible to demonstrate the subtle superiorities of a high quality playback system unless the recordings of it in action are of a very high quality.as well .

Alex, it depends upon the recording! If you're playing a pub rocker, with driving guitar, the average sound level guarantees that something as low energy as a phone ring won't be picked up, in the listening. But a classical piece, played at the same volume setting, will have the dynamic range of the live event - and a solo violin interlude certainly won't mask the phone ringing

What competent sound delivers is the impact of live sound - which can be the shimmering of a lone triangle, lightly struck; or the raw power of a grand crescendo - it's the spanning of the full range that works as an experience.

10 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes, the sound often falls apart - but the real culprit is the amplifier. This is something I cottoned on to decades ago - I had a CD which I took around to all the audio shops, and their setups uniformly started to collapse well short of what I was after, irrespective of size of speaker, etc. At home, I played it on the my B&W bookshelfs, smallest in the range, which easily handled the drive - the amp I was using was a decent one, and did the job much better.

No, one's ears automatically adjust the internal gain to match the volume of the music - same thing that occurs as for intense, live sound.

🤣

Sound Minds Mind Sound

The speakers are by Edifier, and they are the most impressive bit of kit I've come across, as value for money units. This is the first time I've had to do something to tame the bass, which was just too intense on some tracks; I haven't pushed them to the limits of what volumes they can pump out, as yet, but they can go to as loud as one would want in a room, with no signs of stress, etc.

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

The speakers are by Edifier, and they are the most impressive bit of kit I've come across, as value for money units. This is the first time I've had to do something to tame the bass, which just too intense on some tracks; I haven't pushed them to the limits of what volumes they can pump out, as yet, but they can to loud as one would want in a room, with no signs of stress, etc.

We look forward to the video Frank :)

Sound Minds Mind Sound

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

You know, David, one has to be motivated to go to some effort in creating something - and if all one sees is unintelligent posturing, then the motivation is going to evaporate, very fast.

"and if all one sees is unintelligent posturing" we need the video and pics to set us on the path to righteousness :)

Sound Minds Mind Sound

42 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes, the sound often falls apart - but the real culprit is the amplifier. This is something I cottoned on to decades ago - I had a CD which I took around to all the audio shops, and their setups uniformly started to collapse well short of what I was after, irrespective of size of speaker, etc. At home, I played it on the my B&W bookshelfs, smallest in the range, which easily handled the drive - the amp I was using was a decent one, and did the job much better.

Frank, do you read the stuff you write?

Sound Minds Mind Sound

12 hours ago, fas42 said:

Okay, my verdict is that plenty is being got right - certainly a much higher standard than usually heard in these situations. But there is still a signature, which, as usual, is a negative one as far as the subjective qualities are concerned - can anyone pick what to me is a very clear audible giveaway to weaknesses in the state of tune of the system, at that time of the recording?

To be honest, I cannot.  However, if you advise what you are picking up, it might provide some clarity as to how and what you are picking up as weaknesses based on YouTube clips.  This might be enlightening.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

6 hours ago, fas42 said:

You know, if I said my rig cost $200,000, say, no-one would blink an eyelid - the really, really disturbing thing, for them, is that I mention numbers say under $1,000 ...people are obsessed with the need for stuff that can do "special things" costing big bucks ... otherwise the universe might end tomorrow, because all the 'natural' laws are being broken ... 🙂.

No Frank, that is not how it works. The really disturbing thing is people HAVE put their cards on the table and you are still holding yours. I mean, mine is in my signature and I have put mine up, which isn't fancy at all.In fact, except for the speakers (some speakers not all), most of my equipment I bought used. I am not embarrassed and neither should you. Let's see it.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects