IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

For those that have had the chance to compare (possibily only PeterST at this stage), do the different lengths of cable affect the level of sound characteristics with each config setting?

E.g. common sense would suggest that a 1M cable would more clearly show the differences than a 0.4M cable - because there is more of the different screening config being used. But common sense doesn't always apply to high end audio ?

Also, for those who have an ISORegen with USPCB, do you notice these screening differences more when the Lush is placed before or after the ISORegen?

24 minutes ago, TheAttorney said:

For those that have had the chance to compare (possibily only PeterST at this stage), do the different lengths of cable affect the level of sound characteristics with each config setting?

This is a so correct stance and important remark ...

I did NOT test anything regarding this, but for fun I said over here that we now should make the Lush^2 variable length. Because ...

Well, I can simply not imagine that the length will not matter - jus like you say. For that matter I (only lately) considered to offer one length only, although that would only be to let people judge over the same - still hoping that we can utilize each others judgments/configs.

Anyway, I don't even see how to test different lengths because of the (apparently) required burn-in. I'm already glad that my one and only Lush^2 should have some sufficient burn in at this moment, so ...

Might it help : I never noticed any difference in what people perceive on different lengths for the original Lush. People all perceive a rather similar kind of sound of it.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Had some time to compare A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R  with Peter´s latest configuration A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y

Don´t know if I would hear the differences in a blind test with all kind of music, probably not. But I thought the later one A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y has a tighter bass which is hitting harder, beautifully integrated in the midths. Voices seem a tad more real and tonality is even more balanced. 

1 hour ago, yellowblue said:

bass which is hitting harder

Yes, that.

(I described that as something like "better punchy")

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 9/5/2018 at 6:58 AM, PeterSt said:

The 9 cables which ship today will ship with this A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y config.

My Lush^2 just arrived. All I can say for now is that it is crazily good. I would say that it's like I have a new system, but I realise some would construe this as hyperbole. More to follow when I can better articulate what I'm hearing.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

53 minutes ago, manisandher said:

My Lush^2 just arrived. All I can say for now is that it is crazily good. I would say that it's like I have a new system, but I realise some would construe this as hyperbole. More to follow when I can better articulate what I'm hearing.

Mani.

Well, in my case and after last night very long listening session is like:

- Switching from Metformin to Berberine...

- Switching from 10 R shoe size to 10.5 W (44 W UK?)...

- Switching from wife to new fiancé...? ?

- Etc , etc...

But, after switching listening format from DSD to PCM... (please don't ask me about this, it would derail the thread) !!!

Roch

PS/ Transparency, immediacy, e al... it reminds me, many moons ago, the 'presence' button in the receivers of those days (but not false presence).

2 hours ago, elcorso said:

Well, in my case and after last night very long listening session is like:

- Etc , etc...

But, after switching listening format from DSD to PCM... (please don't ask me about this, it would derail the thread) !!!

Roch

PS/ Transparency, immediacy, e al... it reminds me, many moons ago, the 'presence' button in the receivers of those days (but not false presence).

Aha, from your root Chakra ? to your crown chakra ?  perhaps?

Rick

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Another vote for the A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y config.

I had my Lush^2 for a few days (probably 15-20 hours on it) and have tried all the configs recommended up to now but A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y sounds the best for my system so far.

Won't look at changing this (if ever) until the Lush has a 100 or so hours on it.  Some recordings are a bit bright on the top end but overall its very good.

Well, I have to express a somewhat contrary opinion about A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y although it is somewhat preliminary, being based on only one evening’s listening so far. I think it is very good and quite energetic, but to my ears a bit brash compared to A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R. I hear a bit more forward presentation and less depth.

However, I’m going to give it a few more days and then switch back to A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R again and see if my opinion changes. 

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

14 hours ago, elcorso said:

- Etc , etc...

Just extending your joking.

Its still funny.

rick

Under development:

Finally back in business sound much improved, still at  A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y. Listening to Fink, Perfect Darkness I find that there is more depth and the sound comes more into the room all nicely balanced.

Under development:

Thanks BigAlMc — interesting and helpful post.

I too am having difficulty deciding which configuration I prefer between A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R and A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y

Last night I had a really enjoyable evening of listening to music regardles which configuration was in play, and after a couple of swaps gave up the audiophile pursuits and settled back to enjoy music. I’m letting it ride now in A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y

My initial thought that this configuration might be a little brash and forward certainly wasn’t in evidence last night, though I still had the nagging feeling that there might be a little less depth of field compared to A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R. Still, not enough difference to obsess over. My plan is to leave it like this for at least a week (or until someone makes a compelling statement about another “newest best” configuration), then swap back just to hear if longer familiarity with one configuration heightens the contrast with the other configuration.

Concerning the observation that sometimes the bass is so strong from track to track that it requires touching up the volume a bit, I’m hearing this too. My thought is, unless volume leveling is on (which I never use) this isn’t necessarily a bad thing — I don’t want my USB cable to make everything sound similar when by the very nature of the music I like — which is all over the place — there is a lot of variability inherent.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

For me day before yesterday something "clicked" and I got the hunch that a burn in process had been completed. It just suddenly sounded better all the way. I think mine was 4 weeks old at that moment.

I am still at the A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y and I think I am now sufficiently used to this sound to be up to something new. But I first must apply a BIOS update I have laying around and which I didn't want to interfere with the process; if that changes sound I must first get used to that again.

11 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

I risked having one Lush^2 burned in and the other not. And this sort of thought has the potential to keep obsessed audiophiles awake at night! ?

Nicely put. But yes, so true ...

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Question, BigAlMc:

Are you using both Lush^2 in the same configuration before and after your tX-USB Ultra?

Thanks!

Steve Z

5 hours ago, zettelsm said:

Question, BigAlMc:

Are you using both Lush^2 in the same configuration before and after your tX-USB Ultra?

Thanks!

Steve Z

Hi Steve,

No. I considered putting them both on the latest comfig but settled on leaving them in the two configs described.

A: B-Y & W-R, B: B-Y into the DAC and A: B-Y & W-R B: B-Y & W-R nto the TX-USBultra..

Am intrigued at Peter's comments that burn in took approx 4 weeks so am just letting them play..

Might tinker with putting them both on the same config but undecided on whether theoretically different configs bring different things to the party.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

24 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

but undecided on whether theoretically different configs bring different things to the party.

Alan, try one of the described "bad" ones.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

11 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Alan, try one of the described "bad" ones.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Do you mean combined with a 'good' one or do you mean try two 'bad' ones?

I know you want this to be a collaborative scientific endeavour but I struggle with the idea of selecting a worse SQ for giggles!

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

22 minutes ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi Peter,

I know you want this to be a collaborative scientific endeavour but I struggle with the idea of selecting a worse SQ for giggles!

Cheers,

Alan

It’s not for giggles it’s for reference, how much the sq gains from the bad one.

So i think both cables.

Under development:

28 minutes ago, RickyV said:

It’s not for giggles it’s for reference, how much the sq gains from the bad one.

So i think both cables.

Understood but I barely have time to listen to the good configs so the chance of me tackling the bad ones is remote.

Thank you, Alan. If and when I add a tX-USB Ultra I'll have to decide if I go with my original Lush from Zenith to device and Lush^2 from device to DAC or if I buy another Lush^2. If the latter, then that opens up the process of deciding what configuration. But there is no hurry there since I haven't decided if I'll add any USB enhancement devices over what I've tried already. (Not to hi-jack the thread but if you care to drop me a PM I'd love to learn what you hear the tX-USB Ultra bringing to the mix).

I am beginning to suspect that PeterSt is correct about the long break-in time for the Lush^2. Each time I listen I think it's even better than the last time. At first I thought maybe the cable needed 24 hours to settle back in after being disturbed for a configuration change, but now I think it continues to burn-in -- I haven't touched it in four or five days but I think it continues to improve.

Not a bad problem to have at all!

Steve Z

Perhaps this has already been answered elsewhere, but are the shields insulated from each other with a high level of robustness, of the cable in the raw state? That is, if one squeezes or bends the cable at some point along its length does this change the measured resistance - not impedance - between shields?

43 minutes ago, fas42 said:

are the shields insulated from each other with a high level of robustness

Not a bad question at all.

I didn't measure such a thing because it would be the same as using a normal USB (printer etc.) cable and measure between the positive and negative data wire to see whether there's a resistance less than infinity, and if not, whether conduction occurs when the cable is bended. We don't do that because we don't expect it to happen "by miles".

Still in the end it would be similar to the good old cross over, although I never let me bother any more with that phenomenon. And in this case the bleed could be mighty more easy than with normal voltages because it is about radiation to begin with. So now I am not talking electrical voltage bleed, but "influence through the insulation".

I think that can matter when bended (induction changes ?) and when pressed (squeezed) there could be a change of capacitance. The former though is not much related to changes of the insulation resistance, while the latter is.

Only a few days ago I mentioned somewhere about the knot in the interlinks changing the sound. I now recall that in practice (ever way back) this was about a know in the loudspeaker cable(s) - it would be a similar thing.

So is the cable robust to that ? Well, all I know is that I gave explicit thought to the screen itself not being a braid because that theoretically for sure would change properties when bended. Thus bend the cable and the outside will show more "shine through" (gets more open) than the inside (gets more closed). But, theory only, because e.g. a Faraday Case also doesn't need to be closed to reach its working. But this is audio ...

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

6 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Alan, all I tried to make clear is that the configurations matter more than you seem to (!) think. At least that is what I derive from your posts, or else I just misunderstood.

Anyway, please, don't tire yourself with something you don't like to do because it is difficult enough already. But the few bad configs I listed (because I ran into them and liked to archive them) just sound like a drag. So if you wondered whether all makes a difference to begin with, my suggestion was to try such a bad configuration. And yes, try that with both Lush^2es would be the best for the greatest effect.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)