IGNORED

"Journalists" extolling MQA need their ears tested".....

1 minute ago, james45974 said:

That is my thought also.  What would a middle ground in respect to MQA conceivably look like?  Something like MQA is OK for the low end but for ultimate fidelity it is best to use unadulterated sources?

MQA is by design all or nothing.

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

As someone who likes objective evidence, I can objectively say you are incorrect. There are some people who want MQA to be an option. I've seen them out in the wild :~)

Anyone with an actual say in the matter?

4 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

So, my question remains. Does or does not Stereophile provide good measurements?

The measurements seem to be generally good. The problem is that everything ends up on their "recommended component" list no matter how horribly it measures. Look at the graphs, ignore the commentary.

I suspect, but do not know for fact, that satisfactory measurements of MQA have not been forthcoming in a way that would support the superiority of MQA.

The closest you'll find in the usual audio publications is probably some measurements taken by JA on the Meridian Explorer2. You will, however, have to read between the lines, and then between the lines of that, to get anything remotely close to an actual assessment of the performance of MQA.

3 hours ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

If 90% of Sturgeon's Law is crap, does that make the majority of other things non crap Lol ?

I'd like to make a slight amendment to Sturgeon's law: 90% of everything is crap, including the remaining 10%.

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

I disagree with JGH quite a bit on this one. I don't know a single rational person outside of this hobby who lists lack of DBT in HiFi as a source of amusement. JGH thinks the industry is a little larger than it really is and that the industry actually has control over all the outside influences that seek people's disposable income. HiFi is a niche and the world doesn't care is it uses DBT or SBT or whatever.

DBT or lack thereof isn't the (main) point. I can assure you that audio snake oil is a source of great amusement among engineers at large.

36 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Here is a question..would you pay $100 per year for an ad free CA? Not a trick question..I promise!

That's in the same ballpark as a video or music streaming subscription. For heavy users, it could be money well spent. Occasional visitors probably wouldn't see as much value in it.

3 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

Wanna bet on how many sign ups Chris would get if he went ad free? You probably would not need more than your hands and feet to count..

About 90% of posts here are probably from roughly that many people.

3 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

again..we live in a world where most content is assumed free. Wait a second..most people think music is free!

I listen to live music for free at my local pub almost weekly.

6 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Blind tests have not been demonstrated to be valid

Sighted tests are demonstrably invalid. It follows that blinding is a necessary condition for a valid test. That there are also other requirements doesn't mean blinding can be skipped.

8 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

If talking about blind testing, how do you propose manufacturers perform scientifically rigorous tests with scientifically invalid testing procedures?

There it is again.