IGNORED

How much does it cost to be an audiophile?

12 minutes ago, mansr said:

The former are, to a large extent, actually trusting their eyes, eyes fixated on the price tag.

Data?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

Buying new equipment to keep up with shifts in technology isn't what I'm talking about, nor is replacing faulty items.

Right, I understood what I was talking about wasn’t what you were pointing out.

We’ve probably all been exposed to folks with “upgrade-itis” or similar afflictions, whether it’s to do with audio or some other hobby.  The one that really left me shaking my head was a record collector in Miami.  He had all sorts of old music on vinyl.  But to keep maximum value he hadn’t opened the plastic shrink wrap on any of it.  After years of Florida humidity getting through micro-holes in the wrap, the cardboard LP covers had expanded against the shrink wrap and curved.  There sat thousands of albums of some really wonderful music, none of it ever listened to, and all warped beyond playability even if he had wanted to listen.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Nordkapp said:

A la Dan D'Agostino products. My God. 

On the other hand, for at least some folks a bling factor as part of overall house decor is important.  Not my thing, but can’t blame someone for wanting to be surrounded by beauty (that also plays music) either.

3 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

me too, 20 + ...42 ?

If you count from when I bought my first “stereo system” and got really interested in music reproduction, 50.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Engineering is the art of knowing what to ignore.

But not the science?  :)

A friend who won an award a few years ago for best civilian engineering project for the Department of Defense has many stories of fellow engineers who felt various factors could be safely ignored in their work, and were proved wrong when the end product failed.

Of course those make the best stories; I'm sure there are also  plenty of examples of people obsessing over things that ultimately don't matter.

24 minutes ago, mansr said:

Science gives us the tools to calculate everything in minute detail. The trouble is that for real designs, such a detailed analysis is unpractical. Engineering is all about simplifying the science to make it practical while still resulting in a working product. For example, a complicated calculation can often be replaced with a much simpler approximation guaranteed to be greater (or smaller) than the exact value. Suppose the task at hand is to choose a wire capable of carrying the current required by some apparatus. Calculating the exact current might be hideously complicated, so instead we use an approximate value that is at least as large as the real one and pick a wire accordingly. If the wire gauge we arrive at is still practical from a mechanical (and cost) perspective, we're all good. It doesn't matter that a slightly smaller wire could have worked.

A famous case of ignoring the wrong thing is, of course, the Tacoma Narrows bridge collapse of 1940:

Modern bridges include damping elements to prevent such uncontrolled oscillations.

Yes, this forum is full of them.

I was able to make a reasonable engineering approximation of your response. ;)

1 hour ago, accwai said:

The following isn't Ferrari, but it's been making the rounds in the local media lately. Supercars are what they are for reason. Show some respect or suffer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsUWk4prWZw

That was Joe Walsh, wasn't it? ;)

1 hour ago, accwai said:

... from Ferrari to ricing Honda eh?

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1827/3041/4566520021_large.jpg

:D

That was excellent.  :D 

1 hour ago, accwai said:

It's interesting something that's widely known to be able to blow both Ferraris and modded Hondas off the line would be doing 10 minute lap time at Nürburgring's north loop, if it finishes a lap at all. That's the kind of lap time for delivery vans. What would sleight of hand like that be called around here at CA? Two word term starts with 'S' and 'O', can't quite remember the whole thing... x-D

He did say he was pretty much keeping up with a GT3 until it went into reduced power mode.

You didn't happen to see the episode of The Grand Tour where Richard Hammond almost killed himself in an electric supercar, did you?  Thing was *fast*.

3 hours ago, accwai said:

Unless there is a big breakthrough in battery technology in the future, EVs would have a serious weight disadvantage.

https://www.axios.com/battery-pioneer-1528047409-d0515380-1881-4e96-891f-3763eaa84666.html

It smells more than a little of snake oil, though.

But that's not saying there won't be considerable improvements in years to come, perhaps eventually something that from the vantage point of today would look like a breakthrough.

P.S. Apologies for the continued OT, though since the thread has gone back to playing the third least fun unwinnable game after tic-tac-toe and rock, paper, scissors (subjective vs. objective, that is), I don't feel too bad about it.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Good point on training, Jud. I suspect there's a lot of room for better tools and materials for those who are curious. Know of any that can simulate various distortions, jitter, etc? 

I believe @yamamoto2002 developed software that can add simulated jitter to files.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

I was thinking of a tool that can let me adjust jitter level, and to apply correlated or uncorrelated jitter to a music passage of my choosing would be the way to test my own ability to detect various types and levels. If Yamamoto's utility doesn't quite do that, I'll have to think about how to build it. 

Seems to me that a utility that can introduce IMD, various levels of even/odd harmonics, frequency response variations, jitter, phase changes between left and right channel, etc. with some adjustable controls could be very useful in finding out what is truly audible. Maybe with some ABX functionality built in B|

And to possibly train yourself to consciously recognize what was perhaps only subconsciously noticed before.

Don't expect quick results.  Academic work indicates a week of training is probably not enough. (In the experiment I'm thinking of, memory was tested for a trope common to Western but not South Asian music.  As expected, Western test subjects did better than South Asian.  A week of training did not enable the South Asian subjects to do any better.)