IGNORED

Why!? Please Tell Me Why!

3 minutes ago, mordante said:

So basically ever product ever made. Best looking, best tasting, fastest service, prettiest etc. Every subjective claim ever.

Better would be to remove religion and sports from education.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_pretenses

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

On 2018-04-21 at 5:14 PM, gmgraves said:

I didn't say Martin-Logan' s ESL speakers had better dispersion than all speakers, I said they had better dispersion than many speakers and they do. I can sit pretty much off-axis in my listening room and still get a decent stereo image. But my point to Frank was that there are limits...  

Martin-Logan's ESL speakers doesn’t have better horizontal dispersion than many other speakers. The dispersion is lower than most other speakers. To have low horizontal and vertical dispersion is normally a good thing and result in less unwanted reflation from the sidewalls and ceiling.

23 hours ago, marce said:

Wrong its between 40-86% of C, depending on the dialectics involved and construction. As an average for signals on PCBs a rough rule of thumb is 150mm/ns (approx half that of C, light in a vacuum).

You have a link

The Truth Is Out There

15 hours ago, jabbr said:

Based on your poor poor understanding of the difference between signal and flow of electricity, my confidence in your ability to define anything is zero. I’m not being pedantic rather factual. 

Fine but signal could also be digital 

No no no no no no no no.

Im not being obtuse, you simply don’t understand. 

No, this is really basic. Really basic. Read Wikipedia or a textbook. Please. If you can’t understand why the direction of signal transmission is not the same as the direction of current flow, I’m afraid there’s no hope for you to understand electronics. 

How  can I state this more clearly?

Why are you saying No no no no no no no no. An audio signal is flow of electricity.

17 minutes ago, mav52 said:

You have a link

Read my earlier post on Velocity factor...

Search signal velocity factor.

We have to know how fast a signal is travelling down a trace for length matching of high speed traces such as DDR memory interfaces... And to make it more fun signals travel faster on the outer layers of a PCB (microstrip) than they do on inner layers (stripline) as half the signal travels through air on the outer layers. Of course if you mix the core materials of a PCB then it can get really fun...

As said the rough rule of thumb that has been around for years and years is the 6" rule, a signal will travel approx 6" in 1ns on a PCB, you have to understand both electrical length and skew times for high speed analogue and digital, RF, microwave etc. so calculating the correct wavelength for a particular medium is important. and for that you have to know how fast the signal travels.

Vf=1/SQ root or Er.

A basic from Wiki

21 minutes ago, mansr said:

So smoke signals and semaphores aren't signals either then? You people have some weird definitions of words.

Smoke signals is another type of signal, not related to the electrical signal that are transmitted with a speaker cables.  

30 minutes ago, marce said:

We have to know how fast a signal is travelling down a trace for length matching of high speed traces such as DDR memory interfaces... And to make it more fun signals travel faster on the outer layers of a PCB (microstrip) than they do on inner layers (stripline) as half the signal travels through air on the outer layers. Of course if you mix the core materials of a PCB then it can get really fun...

And sometimes the weave orientation matters. I don't recall seeing any audiophool products make a big deal out of this. Could there be a market opportunity here?

1 hour ago, Summit said:

Why are you saying No no no no no no no no. An audio signal is flow of electricity.

An “electrical audio signal” uses current & voltage to represent/convey information — they are not the same.

To be specific, a flow is a vector with magnitude and direction. A signal represents a flow of information. The magnitude and direction of a signal is not the same nor in the same units as the magnitude and direction of the electricity used to carry the signal. 

An audio signal is not a flow of electricity it uses flows of electricity. 

In  the same way that you might use a pen to write a book — the ink is not the book. The book is not strokes of the pen but uses strokes of the pen to convey information.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Why is this important in simple terms?

1: the signal travels from one box to the other

2: the cable connects one box to the other

3: an arrow on the cable may indicate the direction of signal flow 

4: electrical current does not simply flow from one box to the other

34 minutes ago, jabbr said:

An “electrical audio signal” uses current & voltage to represent/convey information — they are not the same.

To be specific, a flow is a vector with magnitude and direction. A signal represents a flow of information. The magnitude and direction of a signal is not the same nor in the same units as the magnitude and direction of the electricity used to carry the signal. 

An audio signal is not a flow of electricity it uses flows of electricity. 

In  the same way that you might use a pen to write a book — the ink is not the book. The book is not strokes of the pen but uses strokes of the pen to convey information.

An audio signal is a flow of electricity!!

What do you think the audio signal consist of if not a flows of electricity? Why use a bigger amp to drive insensitive speakers if not because they can output more power, current and voltage?

28 minutes ago, Summit said:

An audio signal is a flow of electricity!!

What do you think the audio signal consist of if not a flows of electricity? Why use a bigger amp to drive insensitive speakers if not because they can output more power, current and voltage?

would you ever say that at any point in time the audio signal travels from the speaker to the amp?

would you ever say that at any point in time the audio signal travels from the amp to the DAC?

Answer yes or no.

19 minutes ago, jabbr said:

would you ever say that at any point in time the audio signal travels from the speaker to the amp?

would you ever say that at any point in time the audio signal travels from the amp to the DAC?

Answer yes or no.

Not the audio signal. Back-EMF (Electro-Motive Force) yes. A speaker is sending back a lot of electricity because speakers work by pulling and pushing. But it’s not the audio signal it sending back to the amp it is this opposing power.

1 hour ago, Solstice380 said:

Ed Meitner (and maybe 1 or 2 others) use ceramic circuit boards.  

I believe Mr N Pass has also used different materials. There are many types available, the problem with the ceramic based materials is manufacturing costs, they are harder to process and keep to the required tolerances. There are many factors to consider, thermal can be an issue in some high powered audio devices so the use of a better substrate, whilst not strictly necessary for signal fidelity can have benefits. Again there are high Tg FR4's available, but they like the BT laminates cost more than standard FR4's.

This is an interesting tome on laminates, the IPC also has a lot or relevant material such as IPC-4101E... The biggest stir up in the laminate world was the introduction of lead free soldering, the standard 130 deg Tg laminates were problematic at the higher re-flow temperatures so they had to improve the products, for most designs DIY or Commercial a good FR4 with a 170 Deg Tg is a good bet, not to expensive but better than the generic stuff you will get if you don't specify your required laminates.