IGNORED

Why!? Please Tell Me Why!

9 minutes ago, phosphorein said:

That makes two of us, but Audioquest has been about marketing from day one.

AudioQuest sells ethernet cables that they claim are "directional".[12] One independent blindedABX test of the ethernet cables at The Amazing Meeting in 2015 found that the cables do not produce a measurable effect. Independent physical testing of the data transmission quality of AudioQuest's ethernet cables claimed to show they perform no better than class compliant cables costing less than 1/10 the price due to the near-end crosstalk.

- from the Wiki on them

7 hours ago, GUTB said:

Electricity is faster than light?

What

5 hours ago, GUTB said:

You deny electrical currents have a direction. Even a cursory Google search shows that isn't true. Why do feel like lying about this subject?

Cable directivity, crystal boundary diodes etc. are just plain BS. Yes current has direction, in ac its both ways, DC music is very boring, but cables ARE NOT DIRECTIONAL.

7 hours ago, GUTB said:

The wave front of an electric signal travels through a medium such as a cable or a PCB at a speed determined by the velocity factor, you might want to go look it up, there are two main equations. On the other hand electrons travel at a very slow 0.1mm/s or something equally slowwww.

9 hours ago, GUTB said:

I thought directional control of signal cables had to do with the orientation of crystal boundaries formed during the drawing / annaeling process which manufacturers keep track of vs the direction wire comes off the factory spool.

There is definitely directional flow in conductors regardless of being AC or DC.

??????????

My absinthe doesn’t cause these good hallucinations — are you doing magic mushroom infusions?

Ok let’s run with this and see where it gets us.

Suppose all conductors were in fact diodes? A) How would this change audio signal transmission and how would you measure it? B) How would this change digital signal transmission and how would you measure it? 

Where in an audio circuit is flow actually directional over a period of time (ie DC) — be specific — no credit for partial answers.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

gummy - at least improve your reading skills

Later, if you work very, very hard then you can have this:

maxwell-equation-shirt.jpg

Please let’s stay neurotypical. I stated signals (electrical currents) have a direction. You replied "no". I wondered if you thought electricity was faster than light (instantaneous) and after realizing you said something obviously untrue — apparently for no other reason than to disagree with me — you won’t acknowledge it. 

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

Please let’s stay neurotypical. I stated signals (electrical currents) have a direction. You replied "no". I wondered if you thought electricity was faster than light (instantaneous) and after realizing you said something obviously untrue — apparently for no other reason than to disagree with me — you won’t acknowledge it. 

This is all a non- sequitor ... 

1) What is the difference between a signal and a current? You seem not to understand the difference. 

2) Can a current be in the opposite direction to a signal? 

3) Do you realize that your statement as written makes no sense?

Any interconnect cable that has the shield connected differently at each end can be considered directional.

Any interconnect that has the conductors connected differently at each endcan be considered an adapter.

Some balanced XLR interconnects are wired with a hybrid shield. That is the shield is connected at the send end and goes thru a small capacitor at the receive end. This won't work with phantom powered microphones.

12 hours ago, GUTB said:

I thought directional control of signal cables had to do with the orientation of crystal boundaries formed during the drawing / annaeling process which manufacturers keep track of vs the direction wire comes off the factory spool.

What dies the phrase “directional control of signal cables” mean in terms of common electrical terms? 

This phrase doesnt have an obvious meaning. 

There is definitely directional flow in conductors regardless of being AC or DC.

Current flows in a direction. The magnitude and angle of a “DC” current is constant. The magnitude and angle of an “AC” current varies. This is true by definition. Are you trying to say something else?

I think it’s really best to get the very basic physics or current voltage resistance capacitance inductance down cold before you try to delve into semiconductor physics. 

That said its its easy to tell a conductor from a semiconductor with fairly basic instruments and measurements.

1 hour ago, Speedskater said:

At high radio frequencies, any interconnect becomes a transmission line system. So when tested with high frequency pulses, if:

the output stage impedance >> cable impedance >> input stage impedance are not all equal,  reflections or ringing will be observed.

Yes but the cable is not directional, you can determine the mismatch by the reflection position, did some sims to show this years ago on another forum regarding the same arguments on cable directivity eons ago.

The cable will have a constant impedance, if it does not it is damaged and would need replacing... generally this is caused by co-ax cables being bent or twisted so the internal geometry changes, twisted pair and LVDS is far better and less prone to cable damage and thus impedance mismatches.

RF is weird and microwave even weirder, you don't use curved tracks for microwave, they are bad...o.O

1 hour ago, Speedskater said:

Any interconnect cable that has the shield connected differently at each end can be considered directional.

Any interconnect that has the conductors connected differently at each endcan be considered an adapter.

Some balanced XLR interconnects are wired with a hybrid shield. That is the shield is connected at the send end and goes thru a small capacitor at the receive end. This won't work with phantom powered microphones.

I disagree somewhat the, cable is not directional as such, the shield is connected at one end only, this will only work with a return wire so not much good for co-ax cables. A shield connected at one end only at RF frequencies is actually called an antenna (usually forms a dipole).

Point two I'll give you.

Point 3 is standard practice to connect a shield to have low impedance at rf frequencies and not create a ground loop, we can both ref Henry Ott and others on this.

I may be being at bit over pedantic on a second read...:D

11 hours ago, GUTB said:

light travels through empty space at 186,000 miles per second. The electricity which flows through the wires in your homes and appliances travels much slower: only about 1/100 th the speed of light.

The Truth Is Out There

15 minutes ago, mav52 said:

light travels through empty space at 186,000 miles per second. The electricity which flows through the wires in your homes and appliances travels much slower: only about 1/100 th the speed of light.

Wrong its between 40-86% of C, depending on the dialectics involved and construction. As an average for signals on PCBs a rough rule of thumb is 150mm/ns (approx half that of C, light in a vacuum).

On 4/24/2018 at 11:32 AM, gmgraves said:

My response was dripping with Sarcasm

OH NO George, say it isn't so, sarcasm.

I'm shocked and appalled.  LOL

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.