IGNORED

Blue or red pill?

2 minutes ago, STC said:

still unable to find a similar chart to Man's . :)

Figure 9 (and 8) in the link I gave are about that (though the spreading base is not emphasized there). But you will see that the graphs are "even" at both sides. What sticks out are the "side lobes" (at various places).

I can tell you that looking at such static pictures (be it those in the PDF or the one from Mans) is not really educative. Only seeing it happen in real time gives a good idea what it is about. Unless you know the theories already. But hey, chicken-egg stuff eh. Maybe you can Google YouTubes for 

jitter fft

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

13 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I can tell you that looking at such static pictures (be it those in the PDF or the one from Mans) is not really educative. Only seeing it happen in real time gives a good idea what it is about. Unless you know the theories already. But hey, chicken-egg stuff eh. Maybe you can Google YouTubes for 

jitter fft

Thanks Peter. 

What kind of insane hardware depends on CPU timings and doesn't have a hardware buffer that always plays at the same speed? Jitter in the intermediate steps doesn't matter when you're moving digital data from one place to another, as long as the buffers are larger than the amount of jitter.

DAC is hard. Moving a couple megabits of data five feet over a cable with multi-millisecond buffers is not hard.

I don't think it's even possible to use USB for 100%-throughput unbuffered data. I call bullshit on the eye pattern affecting playback.

My earlier posts were referring to the difference that was mentioned here about how recorder and DAC treat the data stream. Hope this is relevant to the discussion.

37 minutes ago, STC said:

My earlier posts were referring to the difference that was mentioned here about how recorder and DAC treat the data stream. Hope this is relevant to the discussion.

It is not about that (looking at that small portion of a seemingly larger thread). Whether the eye (pattern) is larger or smaller or whatever shape, as long as all is error free there are no errors and thus that is not the cause of anything we talk about here (and that is in the context of all being/staying bit identical which *thus* proves that the communication (say eye pattern) is OK - no errors).

It is also not about jitter as such in the solely digital domain because jitter in there won't do a thing, when observed from start (PC) to end (DAC's receiver).

It is about how the timing differences anywhere (thus also in the pure digital domain) imply different current (spike) usage in analogue parts, like the D/A process itself, right after that (current to voltage conversion when applicable, gain stage (with possibly various speedy parts like opamps)).

XXHighEnd (developer)

7 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

It is also not about jitter as such in the solely digital domain because jitter in there won't do a thing, when observed from start (PC) to end (DAC's receiver).

It is about how the timing differences anywhere (thus also in the pure digital domain) imply different current (spike) usage in analogue parts, like the D/A process itself......

I firmly believe in the maxim that "Little bit of knowledge can be dangerous thing " and I am guilty of that. I always taught jitter is a form of timing difference errors.

I myself doubt the slight jitter could be audible but you offered a plausible explanation that the jitter (timing differences) may alter other part of the signal(?) .  That much I gather from this 76 page thread. :( 

5 minutes ago, STC said:

I myself doubt the slight jitter could be audible

As far as my own experience goes, and this includes the knowledge of applying certain oscillators with (Phase Noise) specifications, upgrade the (commercial) DAC to better specs oscillators, measuring jitter to the extent still possible, without and with galvanic isolation ....

of course each improvement to less jitter is audible. Always and vastly.

So what the general person can not see and must trust from hoaxing vendors is that his abc DAC now sounds better because of low jitter and what not. They usually don't even have the equipment to measure (but outsource one set of measurement for the nice commercial aiding) ...  but over here we make the lot ourselves and also have the equipment (say like Stereophile et al uses for supporting reviews (some times contradicting)). 

So trust me, if you see the HUGE difference Mans showed (never mind even he himself thinks it is small), it will be easily audible. HOW that is audible I can't predict. But bass is always first (and this is logical).

XXHighEnd (developer)

7 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

As far as my own experience goes, and this includes the knowledge of applying certain oscillators with (Phase Noise) specifications, upgrade the (commercial) DAC to better specs oscillators, measuring jitter to the extent still possible, without and with galvanic isolation ....

of course each improvement to less jitter is audible. Always and vastly.

So what the general person can not see and must trust from hoaxing vendors is that his abc DAC now sounds better because of low jitter and what not. They usually don't even have the equipment to measure (but outsource one set of measurement for the nice commercial aiding) ...  but over here we make the lot ourselves and also have the equipment (say like Stereophile et al uses for supporting reviews (some times contradicting)). 

So trust me, if you see the HUGE difference Mans showed (never mind even he himself thinks it is small), it will be easily audible. HOW that is audible I can't predict. But bass is always first (and this is logical).

With respect, i disagree that the difference was huge. Out of 30 trials, Mani only got 17 over 30 correct.  In the last 10 trials, where Mani scored 9/10. a different method was used. In the earlier 20 trials, 24/176.4 version of 'Tchaikovsky Hopak from Mazeppa' on Reference Recordings' 'Exotic Dances' file was used. In the last 10 trials, 'Persephone' from Patricia Barber's 'Mythologies' album 16/44.1 file was upsampled to 176.4.

Did Tascam capture the upsampled file or the original 16/44.1? 

11 minutes ago, STC said:

but you offered a plausible explanation that the jitter (timing differences) may alter other part of the signal(?)

Yes, but with a very fast job. The Lush thread (also coincidentally about USB) goes into that much further. But it is too large to find back. Summarized this is about how a USB cable sounds the most different than any other USB cable, and it is exactly about eye openings etc. and how they surely can influence sound when larger or smaller - all error free. We should not repeat that here, but I noticed the subject in that link you gave - it is really the same subject. Very briefly, think like this :

You have a cable. This cable, including its transmitter and receiver parts, will incur for a degree of reflection; An up-going cycle, meant to be received at the other end as a binary 1, isn't absorbed fully, reflects back to the transmitter and from there it is reflected back again (to the DAC). Both arrivals at the receiver (mind you, this sits in your DAC) are "converted" by the receiver (say it goes through some chip) and that conversion itself requires (minute) current (notice that "convert" is virtual but it makes understanding more easy). The original signal is received as the binary 1 and the reflected signal is not received as a binary 1 because too weak to pass the threshold of being (interpreted as) a 1. Still it requires current because it still goes through that chip. This in itself is already sufficient to understand how cables in the digital domain incur for audible differences IF you understand (or like to see) that this very small current spike at the DAC's end, influences the analogue parts in it (via the general ground plane etc.). OK ?

That is the Lush application (with secrecy).

Now we are going to influence the timing of those reflections, or better : their intensity which is related to timing as well, already because there will be more than one back and forth reflection.

Now you might say "hey, yes, hmm".

No.

It is about oscillations. So where the "false" voltages may pile up and do that in oscillating format. Thus instead of (say) 480 million times per second such a single reflection occurring (which may be audible, but I don't think so), now once per milli second all reflections coincidentally pile up and THAT is audible (and even controllable).

These theories go way further because that false voltage spike (current draw) which influences the analogue parts, will also influence the mentioned chip itself (via the very same means). And *that* implies the real oscillation.

So notice that it is oscillation which implies patterns. And patterns we humans are good at.

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 minutes ago, STC said:

With respect, i disagree that the difference was huge.

With even more respect, I am listening to these differences 3-4 hours a day.

And I really don't need to be present at such a test. As long as XXHighEnd was "conducting" it. And it was ...

That Mani couldn't do it in absolute sense ... I already told that although hard to imagine, I probably would have failed that too. But not when I just listen to music (no A-B whatsoever) in unconscious fashion and with further the same test (is that an SFS of 0.1 or is it 200 ?). But I also said : it hugely depends on the music, and I would NOT let pick the music by someone else. Not even the genre. I'd need to pick that myself.

So trust me, such differences are huge. And also trust me that I am not able to A-B (I just physically can't, which incorporates psychologically  finding it a waste of time). Just play different tracks (in full) of different albums and let me cook a dinner meanwhile.

XXHighEnd (developer)

50 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

But not when I just listen to music (no A-B whatsoever) in unconscious fashion

Too much booze ? :D

BTW,  and you call your USB cable Lush.

Guilty by association ? :P

Urban Dictionary: Lush

Either sex can be a lush. It's someone who drinks a lot and enjoys drinking a lot---not necessarily an alcoholic, but someone whose drinking is noticeable. It can be used teasingly or as an insult, but even if someone teases you (or whoever), there's probably some truth in it, and it probably means you're overdoing the ...

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, STC said:

With respect, i disagree that the difference was huge. Out of 30 trials, Mani only got 17 over 30 correct.  In the last 10 trials, where Mani scored 9/10. a different method was used. In the earlier 20 trials, 24/176.4 version of 'Tchaikovsky Hopak from Mazeppa' on Reference Recordings' 'Exotic Dances' file was used. In the last 10 trials, 'Persephone' from Patricia Barber's 'Mythologies' album 16/44.1 file was upsampled to 176.4.

The first run of 10 used the Tchaikovsky track. The second run, as well as the third with the altered sequence, were with the Patricia Barber track.

3 hours ago, STC said:

Did Tascam capture the upsampled file or the original 16/44.1? 

The Tascam captured what was sent to the DAC.

15 minutes ago, STC said:

I probably didn’t phrase the question correctly.

The original file was 16/44.1. If you upsampled them to 176 then Tascam should have captured the updampled version of 176. Was that the case?  

As I said, the Tascam captured the data sent to the DAC. If that data was the result of upsampling, then that's what was captured.

57 minutes ago, mansr said:

Sure.

mani-10k-fft-0-20k.thumb.png.fb7e6f3c2e9af43587cbe562c7b390ef.png

mani-10k-fft-9k-11k.thumb.png.9205d29b37dbc74f1f5e80435567d936.png

Here's another plot showing a minor difference:

mani-10k-fft-4k2.thumb.png.2e6a875f7ed2c5b155ab00c50e65116b.png

Thank you, Mans! 

Interesting. There is quite a bit of noise with some noise spikes rising nearly 40dB above what appears to be the noise floor. In the zoomed in portion all the spikes appear to be at 100Hz interval, is that right? Seems a bit strange, even for a 50Hz mains frequency.

Do you have a calibration scan of a 10KHz sine wave using your ADC? Something we could compare these scans with without Mani's PC and DAC in the circuit?

3 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Thank you, Mans! 

Interesting. There is quite a bit of noise with noise spikes appear to rise nearly 40dB above what appears to be the noise floor. In the zoomed in portion all the spikes appear to be at 100Hz interval, is that right? Seems a bit strange, even for a 50Hz mains frequency.

Yes, there's a spike every 100 Hz. No, that's not normal.

3 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Do you have a calibration scan of a 10KHz sine wave using your ADC? Something we could compare these scans with without Mani's PC and DAC?

We used Mani's ADC. What would you use as a reference?

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

Yes, there's a spike every 100 Hz. No, that's not normal.

We used Mani's ADC. What would you use as a reference?

Ah, I didn't realize it was Mani's ADC. A sine wave generator, if you have one. If not, any well-known, quality DAC (preferably with measurements) with a digital sine wave generator to feed the ADC. Worst case, any other DAC, again preferably with measurements.

5 hours ago, STC said:

This part troubles me. Aside from my concern about switching tells, I'm not sure whether this should really be treated as a multiple comparison test.  It would be interesting to run again with a pre-determined specification of what the test was and what would constitute success. 

You are not a sound quality measurement device

15 hours ago, PeterSt said:

http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/AN-756.pdf

I never read that one, but the Analog Devices application notes are usually quite easy to read. It can't harm to browse through it.

?

Trying to wade through this long an interesting thread. I am most interested in the conclusions of the participants @manisandher, @mansr As well as you, the author or software and designer/manuf of hardware. 

Is there a summary thread? 

Is there data which supports lower close-in phase error? (narrower peaks)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

20 hours ago, mansr said:

And somehow the actual test ended up being something quite different.

19 hours ago, mansr said:

The test was of some mystery setting in a playback program, not of streaming vs local storage.

6 hours ago, adamdea said:

Well quite.

Are you serious?

I first started mentioning how we'd conduct the A/B/X back in Feb:

On 14/02/2018 at 7:19 AM, manisandher said:

... However, I was intending to do the A/B/X purely in Attended mode, which would make the A/B/X easier to perform. I've checked and I can clearly hear the difference between SFS=20 and SFS=1, which should suffice for the A/B/X.

I elaborated on this further at the beginning of March:

On 02/03/2018 at 1:06 PM, manisandher said:

That's a specific case of the more general hypothesis: a file played* back bit-identically can sound different.

Specific cases then include:

- different storage media

- different digital cables (spdif, USB, etc)

- different software player configurations (buffers, etc)

I'm considering which of these would be best for the ABX, and am leaning towards different software player configs. Once you're satisfied that there really is an audible difference between a file played back bit-identically (whether you hear it too, or whether I manage to prove it in the ABX), then we can certainly explore the other specific cases, if you have the time and inclination.

The day before the visit, I outlined to Mans in a PM exactly what we'd be doing:

"This is the procedure I'd like to use tomorrow:

1. take a quick listen together

- I'd like to demonstrate a few things to you and get your initial thoughts

2. conduct the A/B/X

- I've chosen the track and the bit-identical changes we'll use in the playback software

- you'll be sitting in my office, controlling playback from there, and I'll be sitting in the listening room

- we'll have the Tascam set to auto-record, sitting in the basement next to the audio PC and DAC, capturing the digital output of the audio PC in real time

..."

If anyone had any concerns with how bit-identical playback was going to be achieved, they had ample time to voice them.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro