IGNORED

Audio Blind Testing

2 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Yes, a scientist is someone who can generate a large screed of numbers by some means, and graphs, and then write a "technical article" about such, throwing in plenty of equations on the way  - the fact that the experiment was ill-conceived, badly controlled, and doesn't provide any real answers to anything is quite irrelevant, really ... :P:D

Scientists are STILL unable to agree on whether Global Warming is part of a long term Climatic cycle, or whether it is man made, and requires human intervention to reverse it !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

16 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

DBTs have everything to do with the fact that sensory perception is flawed and often fooled. DBTs are one way to eliminate at least some undue influences and to determine if a change really rises to the level audibility.

By your own admission, senses ‘jump to conclusions all the time’. These conclusions are frequently wrong and this makes a more controlled test a must. 

Senses "‘jump to conclusions" to save time, and effort. If they were "frequently wrong", in driving say, the road toll would be catastrophic - they "get it right", mostly, because the universe is highly predictable, and stable, in its 'rules'.

And where they are usually most reliable is if they sense that "something is not quite right" - the flag has been raised to ensure that you take more notice, and so you hear unpleasant, distorted playback - this is something we don't want.

A change either does nothing significant, or it makes you more aware of the playback being 'fake', or not - as triggered by those senses. That's how I work ... being aware of a difference, as an intellectual exercise, is of no relevance to the main goal - which in my case is to get the most out of the playback of recordings.

15 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Scientists are STILL unable to agree on whether Global Warming is part of a long term Climatic cycle, or whether it is man made, and requires human intervention to reverse it !

Is there any complex subject where every expert is in agreement?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

53 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Senses "‘jump to conclusions" to save time, and effort. If they were "frequently wrong", in driving say, the road toll would be catastrophic - they "get it right", mostly, because the universe is highly predictable, and stable, in its 'rules'.

And where they are usually most reliable is if they sense that "something is not quite right" - the flag has been raised to ensure that you take more notice, and so you hear unpleasant, distorted playback - this is something we don't want.

A change either does nothing significant, or it makes you more aware of the the playback being 'fake', or not - as triggered by those senses. That's how I work ... being aware of a difference, as an intellectual exercise, is of no relevance to the main goal - which in my case is to get the most out of the playback of recordings.

Senses evolved to improve our survival chances. They take shortcuts to quickly save the skin of their owner.

I’m not aware of any survival or evolutionary benefit to hearing the difference between audio components. If anything, that skill would likely be counterproductive, reducing the chances of the owner to reproduce, if only because the opposite sex does not appreciate their mate spending hours in front of an electronic contraption producing loud and often disturbing sounds ;) 

“Not now honey, I just got a new SPDIF cable I must really try!”  also does not help to elevate our evolutionary fitness level.

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

The problem is that equation is too complex and there are too many variables in the computer model to know whether it is accurate or not. I don't think that anyone would argue that the climate is changing, the weather's been too screwy for that not to be the case. I lived the first 22 years of my life in Northern Virginia, and I never saw winters like the East Coast has been experiencing lately (not to mention the increase in large hurricanes in the Atlantic). The Left Coast is just as messed-up, weather-wise. Last winter was the wettest on record after the worst drought on record. Here it is late January, and there's been almost no rain or snow. Now there's no real way to know what February and March will bring, but nothing much is forecast for the rest of January. After such a wet fall/Winter last year, going back to drought conditions is VERY unusual.

What I don't understand is why a belief in climate change is so delineated along party lines? Most Liberals say that the climate is not only changing, but that the change is man-made. Most Conservatives believe just the opposite. Not only do they deny that the climate is changing, but they absolutely deny that human produced greenhouse gasses are a contributing factor. I'm probably as Conservative as it is possible to be, yet I don't doubt for a second what the evidence shows: The climate is changing and ice core samples show that it is changing faster than it has ever changed during any other warming cycle indicated in the ice record. The difference between the last warming cycle and this one (aside from the speed of onset) is human industrialization. Since that seems to be the only variable here, human activity is at the very least exacerbating the problem even if the onset is part of some natural cycle.  

George

55 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

because the opposite sex does not appreciate their mate spending hours in front of an electronic contraption producing loud and often disturbing sounds ;)

Modern women have been so spoiled by this increasingly gynocentric society that they generally don't appreciate anything that their spouses do that takes attention off of them. I've never seen a wife who approved of any hobby that their husbands enjoy. They especially resent the hubby spending money on said hobby when that money (according to them) would be better spent on wifey's "nest"! Spoiled brats, that's what they are. They marry some guy, stay with him till he's reasonably successful, then divorce the poor schlepp and take him to the cleaners. He ends up living in a cheap trailer park or a room somewhere, driving a beater, while the ex gets the nice house, the Audi, the country club membership, and most of the ex-hubby's income. The thing that gets me, is that many of us guys are so stupid, that after being taken to the cleaners by the rigged court system, they turn around and get married again! These people gamble with their lives on odds that they would't even play with their disposable income in Vegas!

George

7 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Modern women have been so spoiled by this increasingly gynocentric society that they generally don't appreciate anything that their spouses do that takes attention off of them. I've never seen a wife who approved of any hobby that their husbands enjoy. They especially resent the hubby spending money on said hobby when that money (according to them) would be better spent on wifey's "nest"! Spoiled brats, that's what they are. They marry some guy, stay with him till he's reasonably successful, then divorce the poor schlepp and take him to the cleaners. He ends up living in a cheap trailer park or a room somewhere, driving a beater, while the ex gets the nice house, the Audi, the country club membership, and most of the ex-hubby's income. The thing that gets me, is that many of us guys are so stupid, that after being taken to the cleaners by the rigged court system, they turn around and get married again! These people gamble with their lives on odds that they would't even play with their disposable income in Vegas!

For the record, I disagree completely! (Oh, hi honey! I had no idea you were also reading CA! O.o)

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

I’m not aware of any survival or evolutionary benefit to hearing the difference between audio components. If anything, that skill would likely be counterproductive, reducing the chances of the owner to reproduce, if only because the opposite sex does not appreciate their mate spending hours in front of an electronic contraption producing loud and often disturbing sounds ;) 

“Not now honey, I just got a new SPDIF cable I must really try!”  also does not help to elevate our evolutionary fitness level.

My better half is actually putting the pressure on at the moment for getting the "good stuff", in audio, happening again - it's been on hold for a while, for a number of reasons. We run it loud, so it fills the whole house; IOW, realistic levels - it has to be in good shape, so that anything can be put on, with no annoyance being registered at the choice of material.

5 minutes ago, fas42 said:

My better half is actually putting the pressure on at the moment for getting the "good stuff", in audio, happening again - it's been on hold for a while, for a number of reasons. We run it loud, so it fills the whole house; IOW, realistic levels - it has to be in good shape, so that anything can be put on, with no annoyance being registered at the choice of material.

Frank, pinch yourself; are you sure you are not dreaming? ;)

11 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Isn't that a cable company?

You might be thinking of

Synergynocentricgystics Research.  :P

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

You guys are lucky that Eloise hasn't been looking in that much recently !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

25 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Sad.

It's even sadder when arguably the most powerful nation on earth ,which is committed to Freedom and quality of life,  is virtually the only country not to commit to reducing the effects of man made emissions, and excesses, including deforestation.

Even if the main problem eventually turns out to be due to a natural cycle, doing so may help to reduce the harm to mankind, and other species a little . 

Recently in Sydney , and elsewhere in N.S.W. we saw several colonies of Bats lose hundreds of mainly younger bats who had their brains fried by the excessive heat, and Wild Life people trying to save others by wrapping the distressed bats in wet towels, and spraying water on them.

Perhaps it's time we tried to get away from the "Greed is Good" philosophy of major corporations, including the Banking sector ?

38 minutes ago, sandyk said:

It's even sadder when arguably the most powerful nation on earth ,which is committed to Freedom and quality of life,  is virtually the only country not to commit to reducing the effects of man made emissions, and excesses, including deforestation.

Even if the main problem eventually turns out to be due to a natural cycle, doing so may help to reduce the harm to mankind, and other species a little . 

Recently in Sydney , and elsewhere in N.S.W. we saw several colonies of Bats lose hundreds of mainly younger bats who had their brains fried by the excessive heat, and Wild Life people trying to save others by wrapping the distressed bats in wet towels, and spraying water on them.

Perhaps it's time we tried to get away from the "Greed is Good" philosophy of major corporations, including the Banking sector ?

all true, but don't blame me for the Groper in Chief

my rxn was to your incorrect claim that scientists differ on whether climate change and global warming is a natural cycle - it isn't; they don't

What we are seeing today is warming with about a decade lag from CO2 emissions - the lag times are asymmetric, and if CO2 emissions went to zero tomorrow at 8 am, atmospheric levels (and consequent warming) would last centuries to millennia

Drumfk's minions have not removed this web site yet:

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

12 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

my rxn was to your incorrect claim that scientists differ on whether climate change and global warming is a natural cycle - it isn't; they don't

There are still many Scientists that claim that man's contribution is miniscule compared with Volcanic eruptions and forest fires.

name the climate scientists, please

the Kochs hired a physicist to "investigate" global warming a few years ago - he was a bit out of the area but skeptical of the claims - after he looked into it he changed his mind

the forest fires are human caused (nearly all ignition events in the US are from humans) and exacerbated by climate change

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

There are still many Scientists that claim that man's contribution is miniscule compared with Volcanic eruptions and forest fires.

And with things in equilibrium more or less one might expect man-made contributions would be a distinct minority of all carbon contributions and yet be the reason to push things beyond natural systems to maintain equilibrium.  The human contribution doesn't include any compensating carbon reduction.  A thumb on the scale to create an imbalance need not be the majority of the weight on the scale. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I am ashamed to admit that Australian Professor Ian Plimer is one of many that insist that Global Warming is a cyclic event and man has had no real part in it.

Also :   http://www.independent.org/store/book.asp?id=42&s=ga&gclid=CjwKCAiAy4bTBRAvEiwAFtatHEb9eX0J2mUZ8jOf3i6PwwDd5lVDoi7jnUy0mx6O9-Hqw3fw-9XynRoC-l8QAvD_BwE