IGNORED

Audio Blind Testing

29 minutes ago, sandyk said:

I do not intend discussing this further with yet another person who appears to have blown in just to ridicule Audiophiles and show how clever he is !

BYE !

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

if you doubt this, but of course you aren't interested, because you already know that Audiophiles imagine every difference they report hearing !

I would stick to your first thought. 

You are not a sound quality measurement device

1 minute ago, adamdea said:

I would stick to your first thought. 

Yes, a good idea. It doesn't pay to encourage TROLLS !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, sandyk said:

Read other areas of the forum, and you will also see quite a few reports by well qualified members, that even the O.S. itself can result in small audible differences with "bit perfect" files.

We can test this easily. Download the files from http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html? using your Apple device and another set with your Windows. Transfer all to your media player and do the blind test. 

8 hours ago, STC said:

We can test this easily. Download the files from http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html? using your Apple device and another set with your Windows. Transfer all to your media player and do the blind test. 

Why ? In any case, neither do I have OR want an Apple device for Audio or any other use.

Are all the Phasure Forum members for example, imagining all the improvements they hear with their Phasure NOS DACs using XXHE , with the different OS's and various XXHE engines ?

Peter St.doesn't rely just on his own hearing, he relies on numerous reports back from other members about which version OS used, and which XXHE engine sounds best.

Several years ago, silverlight from NYC and myself exchanged copies of a Norah Jones track from the hybrid SACD "Come Away With Me." Geoff ripped his using a Mac and mine was ripped using a Windows P.C.  Geoff preferred my uploaded version despite them having the same .md5 checksums.

MANY members use programs to minimise the Start Up programs when ripping or playing music. This can be done manually or using programs such as "Fidelizer"

Why would anybody in their right mind take as definitive any comparison tracks generated by unknown computers, by people like yourself who don't even believe that these things matter and take measures such as I have already mentioned to reduce the effect of the OS in use ? Quite a few members also use stripped down versions of an OS.

In addition, with Windows XP at least, quite a few people, including myself found that Ripping in SAFE MODE resulted in netter sounding rips and playback.

Even a Broadband Modem being disconnected from a PC when ripping CDs may result in a small SQ improvement.

Obviously you don't believe that all this additional RF/EMI matters !

See also this thread :

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/38000-operating-systems-and-there-sound-signatures/

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

9 hours ago, Fokus said:

Who pushed Alex' REPEAT button?

Who???

The crazy seems to come on at certain times of day - not sure why 

Anyone who claims that double blind testing is a "silly game" is extremely ignorant and not an audiophile.  Maybe an audiofool; maybe an anti-VAXer...

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

The crazy seems to come on at certain times of day - not sure why 

Anyone who claims that double blind testing is a "silly game" is extremely ignorant and not an audiophile.  Maybe an audiofool; maybe an anti-VAXer...

Now, now, you have no reason to think Alex doesn't have his vaccinations. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

6 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Double Blind testing is a blind numbing waste of time for Audiophiles who just want to listen to music for their enjoyment.

Most don't give a damn for the continuing demands by PSUEDO Scientists to validate every improvement or difference they hear.

Then there are a few other members who delight in digging out old AES Scientific papers that have no real relevance these days, given that due to investigations in THIS century by talented Audio Engineers such as Douglas Self, who have improved Audio Preamplifier and Amplifier designs especially, differences due to adding distortion etc. are now far easier to hear due to most other masking distortion sources being removed.

When was the original study performed ? What kind of equipment was used, what were the measured specifications of the equipment used at the time etc.etc.?  Some of you need to get into the current century instead of living in the past and it's old out of date, in many cases, Scientific Papers, at least with Audio.

If you feel the need for this kind of validation all the time, then perhaps you are a member of the wrong forum ?  

5 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

covfefe vaccinations?

(it was just an analogy...)

Randy

Unless you have anything better than insults and sarcastic remarks to make, why don't you leave replies to others who are able to make On Topic replies ? 

It would appear that you get a kick out of deliberately trying to disrupt all threads where you don't agree with those who have opposing views to your own.  

Buying or making good equipment is a blind numbing waste of time for Audiophiles who just want to listen to music for their enjoyment.

Most idiots don't give a damn for the continuing demands by scientists to validate every medicine  they take.

If you feel the need to avoid valid testing, science and engineering all the time, then perhaps you are a member of the wrong forum ?  Or your drugs are not working well.

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Unless you have anything better than insults and sarcastic remarks to make, why don't you leave replies to others who are able to make On Topic replies ? 

It would appear that you get a kick out of deliberately trying to disrupt all threads where you don't agree with those who have opposing views to your own.  

I do indeed 'disrupt' idiocy by pointing out or making some fun of it.  That applies to audio (where consumers can be damaged by such idiotic remarks) as well as things with worse outcomes.

You really need to calm down and behave yourself.

13 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Most idiots don't give a damn for the continuing demands by scientists to validate every medicine  they take.

Randy .

We are discussing Audio here . CA. is a forum for audio enthusiasts to discuss different types of equipment, player software, OS and equipment modifications  etc. without the incessant demands for DBT by a few disruptive elements like yourself.

No doubt you will feel highly pleased with yourself when you have caused yet another thread to peeter out ! 

P.S.

Talking about idiots. What kind of an idiot would permit their full details, including name and address to be displayed in a link that they posted for not only forum members to see , but the general public, INCLUDING unsavoury elements of society ?

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Randy .

We are discussing Audio here . CA. is a forum for audio enthusiasts to discuss different types of equipment, player software, OS and equipment modifications  etc. without the incessant demands for DBT by a few disruptive elements like yourself.

No doubt you will feel highly pleased with yourself when you have caused yet another thread to peeter out ! 

So now discussing blind testing on a blind testing thread represents incessant demand and will peeter out the thread?  I suppose 19 pages  approaching 500 replies is a short lived thread compared to something like the multiple MQA threads going. :S

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

25 minutes ago, sandyk said:

If you feel the need for this kind of validation all the time, then perhaps you are a member of the wrong forum ?  

16 minutes ago, sandyk said:

3 minutes ago, sandyk said:

CA. is a forum for audio enthusiasts to discuss different types of equipment, player software, OS and equipment modifications  etc. without the incessant demands for DBT by a few disruptive elements like yourself.

Who died and left you in charge?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

5 minutes ago, davide256 said:

I'd suggest we just title double blind testing what it really is "analysis paralysis"

Curious to know what your thinking is to lead you to such a conclusion.  

11 hours ago, adamdea said:

I have no idea who those people may be. I'm going to blow their minds here but with numbers we can analyse more than one variable at a time, so for example you can look at whether distortion is harmonic, and if so which harmonic, as well as looking at the level. 

Equally with the great largely-imaginary bogeyman of jitter, we can analyse jitter frequency rather than just looking at the total integrated jitter. And this can be useful. 

Of course listening is not numbers but that's  a categorical distinction. It has no bearing on whether numbers can specify levels of audibility of particular spuriae, or even what is required for transparency.

Unfortunately, distortion may not be a simple steady state condition - a very simple example is a poor quality power supply in an otherwise good amplifier: if the "right" recordings are played, or the volume doesn't go beyond a certain level, the playback may be brilliant - but rapidly degrades if those limits are "exceeded". Or, it has poor protection against mains noise - which causes irritating artifacts to be part of the sound.

This is what happens with real world systems - artificially producing distortion and seeing what percentage of people can register it, at a simplistic level, is a pointless exercise - and just extends the period over which nothing sensible is done to improve things.

The reference is live acoustic sounds, music - this has certain subjective qualities, which nearly all playback fails to get right - because, the reproduction chain is generating far too much audible distortion. Now, everyone can hear this distortion, because they have no trouble distinguishing, fake from real - normally. The measure of playback competence is that the ability to distinguish fails - the mind is fooled ... which is precisely what the goal is.

3 minutes ago, esldude said:

So now discussing blind testing on a blind testing thread represents incessant demand and will peeter out the thread?  I suppose 19 pages  approaching 500 replies is a short lived thread compared to something like the multiple MQA threads going. :S

Dennis

At the present rate of disruption by Ralf11 , many members will simply ignore this thread.

You know as well as I do, that these DBT requests appear in numerous threads, not just this specific thread.

They are a deliberate disruptive tactic employed by several members .( not you)

You are also well aware that I had enough faith in correctly performed DBTs to work , to submit my reports to someone well qualified to evaluate them. I only did this after previous non sighted evaluation beforehand by several technical friends.

I have previously gone out of my way to humour such requests, including the CD-Rs that I also sent to you.

It would appear that many members simply aren't interested in finding out if their deeply held convictions are valid or not,

as after all the trouble and expense I went to , not a single member appears to have been interested enough to ask you to forward them one of the comparison CD-Rs 

Alex

15 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Who died and left you in charge?

Boy George

Playing the DBT hand suits those who have little faith in their senses to tell them whether the quality of what they're listening to is sufficient - those who have little trouble discerning whether playback is disturbingly faulty have no need for such crutches, and can just get on with improving things ...

8 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I thought we were discussing your need to boss people around...

Boy George