IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:06 AM, louisxiawei said:

Thanks for the post. I'm just wondering which music source/file you upsampled to DSD512 using polysinc-xtr-mp? Can you confirm whether it is 44.1/16 redbook file since the heaviest upsampling load is always to upsample 44.1/16 file to 44.1 x 512.

Although my 18-core i9 7980XE can upsample 44.1/16 to 44.1x512 with poly-sinc-xtr file without non-2s, the CPU utilization is around 45%,  clock speed is around 3.5 GHz.

The 14-core e5-2683 only has 3.0 GHz of max turbo frequency, I doubt a bit regarding its capability for the upsampling performance. If you have a solid confirm of such setting, then you will save many peoples' wallet who wish to apply poly-sinc-xtr filter at DSD512.

Hi sorry to reply so late coz this month I have been stuck in changing config in moving to ITX platform.

My original configuration is E5-2683 v3 + MSI X99A SLI Plus + Corsair 3000C15 8G x2 => 8G x4 +GTX960

Clean install Win10Pro with no CUDA

Connected to T+A DAC8 DSD via a NUC-like Win2016 NAA

Oversample from 44.1 to 22M with XTR MP non-2s, everything works fine, although CPU util% almost peak all the time (50% with HT on).

Also tried Holo Cyan direct USB connected, works fine (see image).

MSI.thumb.jpg.e5b90ec48e95464c9c774075d43723d8.jpg

Then I tried to move to ITX platform with buying ASROCK EPC612D4I + Kingston Impact SoDimm 8G x4

It's a nightmare as I never get it works, even 2s option with gets hipcups.

I tried all options, including swapping SSDs, swapping to Audiolinux, adjust BIOS settings ... although I get fix in 2s option, but all not work for the non-2s.

Then I borrow my friend's Asus X99A-ii, all the same, not work.

It seems only MSI play well. Then I notice in MSI, CPU freq is like 2.5G while in Asrock, it never passes 2G.

Also in Asrock, CPU util% always below 40% (with HT), not all core is full used.

I still don't find anyway to fix this, and perhaps need to give up on the ITX platform.

1 hour ago, salaryman said:

Hi sorry to reply so late coz this month I have been stuck in changing config in moving to ITX platform.

My original configuration is E5-2683 v3 + MSI X99A SLI Plus + Corsair 3000C15 8G x2 => 8G x4 +GTX960

Clean install Win10Pro with no CUDA

Connected to T+A DAC8 DSD via a NUC-like Win2016 NAA

Oversample from 44.1 to 22M with XTR MP non-2s, everything works fine, although CPU util% almost peak all the time (50% with HT on).

Also tried Holo Cyan direct USB connected, works fine (see image).

Great reports. Many thanks. This setting for poly-sinc-xtr is a bargain and will save lots of wallets.

If possible, could you please also run a non-integer ratio upsampling since your CPU's L3 cache is quite large 35MB? e.g. poly-sinc-xtr non-2s, 44.1 → 48 x 512 or 352.8 → 48 x 512?  Just to try out how much cache do we need to run these?

I'm just curious. If single E5 can do poly-sinc-xtr smoothly at around 50% at such low clock frequency, then duo E5 that have more cores, much larger L3 cahces might even work for 44.1 → 48 x512. Last time Miska mentioned it will need huge cache to run non-integer ratio upsampling, "how much huge" is a question.  @Miska

Also sorry to hear you're having trouble settling things, hope it'll work out eventually. 

Software: Roon, Tidal, HQplayer 

HQplayer PC: i9 7980XE, Titan Xp, RTX 3090; i9 9900K, Titan V

DAC: Holo Audio MAY L2, T+A DAC8 DSD, exasound e12, iFi micro iDSD BL

USB tweaks: Intona, Uptone (ISO) regen, LPS-1, LPS-1.2, Sbooster Vbus2, Curious cables, SUPRA Certified HiSpeed USB cable

NAA: Logic CL100 powered by Uptone JS-2

AMP: Spectral DMC 30SV, Spectral DMA 300RS

Speaker: Magico S3 MKII

Rack: HRS SXR signature

1 hour ago, salaryman said:

It seems only MSI play well. Then I notice in MSI, CPU freq is like 2.5G while in Asrock, it never passes 2G.

Also in Asrock, CPU util% always below 40% (with HT), not all core is full used.

I assume you are using the High Performance power plan?

Do you think you are experiencing thermal throttling on the ASRock and Asus motherboards?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 2 months later...

I just purchased a Falcon Northwest PC computer (Tiki). It is designed as a gaming computer (i.e., lots of processing requirement). It has the Intel Core i7 8700k processor and Nvidia GTX 1080 card (with Cuda). This set up has no problem upsampling everything to DSD512. I have not tried running the 'non -2' options yet, but I do not foresee a problem as the fans in this computer do not seem to even come on.

1 hour ago, nicoff said:

I just purchased a Falcon Northwest PC computer (Tiki). It is designed as a gaming computer (i.e., lots of processing requirement). It has the Intel Core i7 8700k processor and Nvidia GTX 1080 card (with Cuda). This set up has no problem upsampling everything to DSD512. I have not tried running the 'non -2' options yet, but I do not foresee a problem as the fans in this computer do not seem to even come on.

Cool!  Please let us know when you try the non-2s.  Other reports are that this could be difficult.  

hi , i would like to do PCM 44K to DSD512 polysinc XTR non2s  without video card

do you think one of these two Processor in the same budget will make the Job ?

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X

Intel Core i9-7900X @ 3.30GHz

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

11 hours ago, nicoff said:

Please try, there is no report of success using 8700K so far. It will be amazing if it works.

9 hours ago, juanitox said:

hi , i would like to do PCM 44K to DSD512 polysinc XTR non2s  without video card

do you think one of these two Processor in the same budget will make the Job ?

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X

Intel Core i9-7900X @ 3.30GHz

1950X definitely can do without any issue.

7900X there were some reports of fail due to small cache size.

My E5-2683 v3 can do with MSI motherboard, but to the limit already. HQP starts hipcup after I add Roon server.

Then I bought 1950X + X399M + 8Gx4, everything works fine.

For folks who: a) do not know how to assemble a music server/dedicated music PC; or b) aren't willing to invest the the very cool but off the charts expensive server from Monaco, what could one acquire to get most out of HQPlayer's capabilities?

I'm hoping that Jussi has specifications for an "HQPlayer Server" and he's hooked up with a builder who puts them together.  If not, maybe this is a business opportunity for the man in Finland who makes our music sound so good.

Tone with Soul

21 minutes ago, 57gold said:

For folks who: a) do not know how to assemble a music server/dedicated music PC; or b) aren't willing to invest the the very cool but off the charts expensive server from Monaco, what could one acquire to get most out of HQPlayer's capabilities?

I'm hoping that Jussi has specifications for an "HQPlayer Server" and he's hooked up with a builder who puts them together.  If not, maybe this is a business opportunity for the man in Finland who makes our music sound so good.

Maybe something like this:  https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/audio-server/hqplayer

9 hours ago, Miska said:

It depends on what you do with HQPlayer. But 4 GB is roughly minimum.

I am not planning for Roon and will do upsampling with a ryzen 1600 at first. So 4 to 8 GB (speed 3000-3200) should be fine, right? Later, I can still upgrade to the ryzen 2nd generation. 

With respect to a mobo I first thought of the Gigabyte aorus x470 ultra gaming, but now they announced Gigabyte Aorus B450 boards. Any views on which one might be better? Or are there other suggestions for suitable amd mobo's for HQ player? 

1 hour ago, PieterP said:

I am not planning for Roon and will do upsampling with a ryzen 1600 at first. So 4 to 8 GB (speed 3000-3200) should be fine, right? Later, I can still upgrade to the ryzen 2nd generation. 

With respect to a mobo I first thought of the Gigabyte aorus x470 ultra gaming, but now they announced Gigabyte Aorus B450 boards. Any views on which one might be better? Or are there other suggestions for suitable amd mobo's for HQ player? 

I don't really know too much about HQplayer requirements, so I'll answer this as a x470 vs b450 question:

In general, the only reason to get a B450 is if you plan to use a CPU with a built in GPU.  Otherwise, you give up 4 Gen 3 PCIe lanes compared to the x470.  There is an upcoming z490 that is supposed to have 4 additional Gen 3 PCIe lanes, but not sure when.

The additional Gen 3PCIe lanes can be used for add-on cards (e.g. USB or NIC card with separate power supply) or NVMe drives that are directly attached to the CPU, depending upon the specifics of the board.

so to resume to compute  44K PCM to non 2s  DSD512 polysync it needs 90W power  ( CPu  or CPU+GPU)

and to play 44KPCM to DSD512 XTR non 2s  we needs a 180W  machine ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

16 minutes ago, juanitox said:

so to resume to compute  44K PCM to non 2s  DSD512 polysync it needs 90W power  ( CPu  or CPU+GPU)

Did you meant to say *2s filter instead of "non 2s" filter?

If yes, to upsample from 44.1K PCM to DSD512 CPU doesn't necessary have to go up to 90W, it can be done with lower TDP processors.  I am currently upsampling 44.1K to DSD512 with *2s polysync filters using i7700 that is TDP of 65W.

1 hour ago, elan120 said:

Haha...good one...that is why I am putting one together with AMD1950X now to see what the differences are.  Should have everything done soon.

I look forward to hearing the results of your sq test.

Did you see this? https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62540/intel-core-i9-9900k-rumor-8c-16t-huge-5-5ghz-aug-1/index.html

Unfortunately no tdp numbers yet.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

1 minute ago, lmitche said:

I look forward to hearing the results of your sq test.

Did you see this? https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62540/intel-core-i9-9900k-rumor-8c-16t-huge-5-5ghz-aug-1/index.html

Unfortunately no tdp numbers yet.

No, I didn't see that report...thanks for the link.  I am looking forward to the result of this new PC as well, but it won't be ready for another couple weeks minimum until few mods are done.  Lots of work ahead.

On 7/18/2018 at 11:01 AM, 57gold said:

Just build one like his and you can't go wrong!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz