IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

8 hours ago, pis99 said:

Jussi must done some magic on the latest 3 or 4 win desktop version. I can now play 512 dsd, 7ECv2, ext3 on 11900K+3090. So 12900 must be able to do 7ECv2 at 512dsd. I am sure an extra GPU can help improving music too.

From my person view, it definitely worths the money for the latest CPU. I believe computing power contributes to good sound for HQP. 

Is there a version 4 of 4.14? I believe the release at signalyst.com is 4.14.2 and he made 4.14.3 available in the forum but wasn't aware there is anothe (4th) version.

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

Nearfield Active Speakers: Audioengine HD3 

Power Conditioning: Furman Elite-15 PFi

On 11/13/2021 at 11:12 AM, bobflood said:

The big question is: Did DSD 512 make any noticeable improvement in the sound vs 256, IOW is it worth the effort?

My current HQPLAYER PC can play 7ECv2+Gauss-Long at 48XDSD256 with all file resolutions with no issues with DSP Multicore fully checked and it really sounds phenomenal. I have been enjoying this combination for the last few weeks.

My CPU is a 8086K with 2080Ti GPU and 4800DDR4 DRAM. So last night out of curiosity I changed the output in HQPLAYER settings to 48XDSD512 and to my surprise it played BUT with dropouts every 3 to 4 seconds. So it told me that my next build with the 12900KF CPU plus 3090 GPU and DDR5 DRAM will allow me to play 48XDSD512 successfully based on reports from Jussi/Miska and others here, BUt what those 2 to 3 seconds glimpses of music at 48XDSD512 let me hear and told me is that there might not be a noticeable improvement in sound quality to justify the expense in the new PC. As a matter of fact when I set the HQPLAYER settings back to 48XDSD256 I enjoyed what I heard more, besides the lack of dropouts, the presentation although not as clear has more body and warmth at 48XDSD256 to my ears.

For those of you who have actually compared the two, 7ECv2 at 48XDSD256 and 48XDSD512, what are you impressions regarding sound quality and tonality?

Knowing myself, I will still go ahead and build the new machine since I have already started procuring the components but my need for 7ECv2+48XDSD512 has become less urgent after last night’s experience.

I want to hear and await what others who have have actually heard 7ECv2 + 48XDSD512 have to say about their experience with raising the output and conversion rate.

8 hours ago, Carlos269 said:

My current HQPLAYER PC can play 7ECv2+Gauss-Long at 48XDSD256 with all file resolutions with no issues with DSP Multicore fully checked and it really sounds phenomenal. I have been enjoying this combination for the last few weeks.

My CPU is a 8086K with 2080Ti GPU and 4800DDR4 DRAM. So last night out of curiosity I changed the output in HQPLAYER settings to 48XDSD512 and to my surprise it played BUT with dropouts every 3 to 4 seconds. So it told me that my next build with the 12900KF CPU plus 3090 GPU and DDR5 DRAM will allow me to play 48XDSD512 successfully based on reports from Jussi/Miska and others here, BUt what those 2 to 3 seconds glimpses of music at 48XDSD512 let me hear and told me is that there might not be a noticeable improvement in sound quality to justify the expense in the new PC. As a matter of fact when I set the HQPLAYER settings back to 48XDSD256 I enjoyed what I heard more, besides the lack of dropouts, the presentation although not as clear has more body and warmth at 48XDSD256 to my ears.

For those of you who have actually compared the two, 7ECv2 at 48XDSD256 and 48XDSD512, what are you impressions regarding sound quality and tonality?

Knowing myself, I will still go ahead and build the new machine since I have already started procuring the components but my need for 7ECv2+48XDSD512 has become less urgent after last night’s experience.

I want to hear and await what others who have have actually heard 7ECv2 + 48XDSD512 have to say about their experience with raising the output and conversion rate.

So I still have my Mac mini M1 in my music system that I can compared to my son’s gaming window desktop which is 11900k +3090. I didn’t touch my son’s computer often prior to the release of 7ECV2 l. At that time, I was pretty sure 1.536M/LN15 is my go-to setting that M1 is capable of playing. After the release of 7ECV2, I started to change my behavior of not touching my son’s computer often. In fact, M1 was frozen after 7ECV2. But at that time, I did not even try 7EC 512dsd until Jussi advised a week ago that new 12900K can play 512dsd without GPU. Hence I tried out and found that my favorite setting can change so quickly to 7EC 512dsd/ext3. It pretty much like my Model X that can change things dramatically with only OTA updates. So, what changes in sound? I would say density and micro-dynamic. It is simply more lifelike. We all know sound upgrade is not linear. The couple thousand desktop upgrade is certainly not snake oil. 

1 hour ago, pis99 said:

So I still have my Mac mini M1 in my music system that I can compared to my son’s gaming window desktop which is 11900k +3090. I didn’t touch my son’s computer often prior to the release of 7ECV2 l. ...  But at that time, I did not even try 7EC 512dsd until Jussi advised a week ago that new 12900K can play 512dsd without GPU. Hence I tried out and found that my favorite setting can change so quickly to 7EC 512dsd/ext3. 

So you're saying that the 11900k + 3090 is capable of 7EC DSD 512 ext3? (??)

And is that 7EC or 7ECv2?

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

I'm exploring a Windows 11 rig with  i9-99000 Z690 chipset to enable me to use higher resource requiring HQ Player modulators and filters. I've seen great information here about importance of CPU, GPU but not much about role of RAM. In terms of improved performance impact for expense outlay, would I better off with 32 GB of DDR5 RAM or 64 GB or DDR4 RAM. The builds I'm considering aren't conducive to 64 GB DDR5. I do plan to install HQ Player on my main work PC (due to space and money constraints).and do some light multi-tasking while HQ Player is in use (web, email). With my current i7-7700 4.2 GHz, Nvidea GeForce 1060, 32 GB DDR4 RAM playback stutters with HQ Player for anything beyond DSD128, Gauss-Long or similar,. Filters like Ext3 consume nearly all of my RAM when I try to use them. Suggestions?

Desktop: HQ Player --> Singxer SU-1 --> Matrix X-Sabre Pro --> McChanson SuperSilver UltimatE

Headphones: Audeze MM-500, Meze Audio Elite, Focal Utopia 2022, Focal Bathys (Wireless)

Portable Gear: Hiby RS6, xDuoo XD05 Bal 2, FiiO BTR7, Creative BT-W5, FiiTii HiFiDots TWS

2 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

I'm exploring a Windows 11 rig with  i9-99000 Z690 chipset to enable me to use higher resource requiring HQ Player modulators and filters. I've seen great information here about importance of CPU, GPU but not much about role of RAM. In terms of improved performance impact for expense outlay, would I better off with 32 GB of DDR5 RAM or 64 GB or DDR4 RAM.

I would say 32GB of DDR5 is better.

2 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

Filters like Ext3 consume nearly all of my RAM when I try to use them. Suggestions?

Which case consumes so much? You can't easily burn 32 GB of RAM on such especially if you are doing just stereo playback.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, Miska said:

I would say 32GB of DDR5 is better.

Very helpful, thanks @Miska

Which case consumes so much? You can't easily burn 32 GB of RAM on such especially if you are doing just stereo playback.

I tried to replicate that use case to provide you with a screen shot, but could not. Perhaps it was just a "one-off". Ext 3 does tax my GPU to 50% (I run a meager GeForce 1060)  but now only loads ~ 20% RAM. 

BTW the GeForce 3090 is quite expensive...is it likely a GeForce 3080 with an i9-12900k could get me to at least DSD256 with ASDM5EC / Ext3 with reasonable resource use? Thanks Jussi!

9 hours ago, LoryWiv said:

BTW the GeForce 3090 is quite expensive...is it likely a GeForce 3080 with an i9-12900k could get me to at least DSD256 with ASDM5EC / Ext3 with reasonable resource use? Thanks Jussi!

A RTX 3060 with 12 GB might be enough if you are only doing DSD256 even my old 1080 Ti can do all filters DSD256 so I have seen no need to put my 3090 in my HQPlayer server running embedded.

There are rumors of a 3070 TI with 16GB that would be perfect.

15 hours ago, k6davis said:

My i9-9700k can do 24-192 => DSD256 x 48 ADSM7ECv2 Ext3 with no GPU. But that's on HQP Embedded/HQP OS, the current version of which is much more efficient than the Windows version. 

I'm expecting to get DSD512 EC out of the new chips, so I'm definitely gong to upgrade when more information is available (and my wallet is ready 😀).

The question of a GPU is another matter as they're very expensive due to demand for them being so high because of crypto mining. I'm curious about what filters will be possible running DSD 512 EC on HQP OS + i9-12900k without a GPU. And also how HQP runs on M1 Max.

There is one filter that I can not play with 11900K+3090----7ECv2 + Sinc-L at 48x512dsd. 

40 minutes ago, pis99 said:

There is one filter that I can not play with 11900K+3090----7ECv2 + Sinc-L at 48x512dsd. 

What I'm curious about is how much can be done with no GPU.

If you don't mind, could you try turning CUDA off and seeing if your 11900K is capable of DSD5EC + ext3 (or even ext2) at 48 x 512? With both Redbook and 24-192 PCM?

I would appreciate it.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

17 hours ago, k6davis said:

I'm expecting to get DSD512 EC out of the new chips, so I'm definitely gong to upgrade when more information is available (and my wallet is ready 😀).

We really aren't close to that regarding CPU speeds. Don't hold your breath.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

13 minutes ago, jabbr said:

We really aren't close to that regarding CPU speeds. Don't hold your breath.

People on this forum, including the HQP developer, have reported that they're getting DSD 512 EC with the 12th gen Intel chip alone - and with the 11th gen Intel chip combined with a powerful GPU. 

Apparently, the logical assumption that twice as much clock speed would be needed to go from DSD 256 to DSD 512 was incorrect. Based on what's been said here, improvements in other areas of the design of the chip have us there today. 

14 hours ago, Rune said:

A RTX 3060 with 12 GB might be enough if you are only doing DSD256 even my old 1080 Ti can do all filters DSD256 so I have seen no need to put my 3090 in my HQPlayer server running embedded.

There are rumors of a 3070 TI with 16GB that would be perfect.

I just went through build specs with vendor and decided to go with RTX 3080, hopefully the "sweet spot" between the super-pricey RTX 3090 and lesser video cards. With the supply chain issues it may be 6 weeks or more till my rig is in hand, but of course I will look forward to testing modulator / filter combinations and update this forum thread.

9 hours ago, k6davis said:

What I'm curious about is how much can be done with no GPU.

If you don't mind, could you try turning CUDA off and seeing if your 11900K is capable of DSD5EC + ext3 (or even ext2) at 48 x 512? With both Redbook and 24-192 PCM?

I would appreciate it.

11900K along, at 48 x 512, with CUDA offload unchecked.

both file format 44.1/16 and 192/24 will have cut off at 5EC but play find under 5ECv2 except 192/24 will have cut off under ext3.

BTW, I do not want to change the computer a bit because the sound is so good with 48 x 512 7ec/ext. 

25 minutes ago, pis99 said:

11900K along, at 48 x 512, with CUDA offload unchecked.

both file format 44.1/16 and 192/24 will have cut off at 5EC but play find under 5ECv2 except 192/24 will have cut off under ext3.

BTW, I do not want to change the computer a bit because the sound is so good with 48 x 512 7ec/ext. 

Many thanks for running that experiment for me. 

Based on your findings, I expect that a 12900k alone could give me all the modulators at DSD 512 x 48 with ext3. That's what I was hoping for.