IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

On 11/2/2021 at 4:28 AM, Miska said:

Intel is now listing 12th Gen CPUs! Really curious to see how the new i9-12900K performs:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134599/intel-core-i912900k-processor-30m-cache-up-to-5-20-ghz.html

The next generation CPUs from Intel, AMD and Apple will all be available soon. And there are rumors of a forthcoming M1 Pro & Max Mac Minis at a decent price. 

I can't wait to find out if any of them will enable a breakthrough in HQP performance!

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX)

Also interesting that the Alder Lake processors do support AVX512. However, all efficiency cores must be switched off for this. The acceleration of around 30% is remarkable.

42383755av.png

Source: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.ph....html?start=16

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Miska said:

I did testing on the new i9-12900K with DDR4-3600 CL17 RAM (G.Skill). With DDR5 I would expect notably better performance

Why I never considered AMD processors were the worse latencies. Now the 12 Intel CPUs are even worse, at least with DDR5 memory. But not with DDR4, see table below i9-12900K DDR 4 (the less the better). 👍

In the load tests, DDR5 did not do so badly because of the higher bandwidth. But why spend a lot of money if it isn't significantly better?

42383595mc.png

Source: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/prozessoren/57430-core-i9-12900k-und-core-i5-12600k-hybrid-desktop-cpus-alder-lake-im-test.html?start=3

Examples of latencies:

G.Skill Ripjaws S5 black DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR5-5200, CL40-40-40-76, on-die ECC 
= CAS Latency CL 15.38ns

G.Skill RipJaws V black DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-4000, CL14-15-15-35
= CAS Latency CL 7.00ns!

Fantastic!!

Can it go all the way to 24-192 => DSD512 x 48, poly-sinc-ext3, ASDM7ECv2? That would be my stress test.

I realize that you will make adjustments to optimize HQP for the new CPUs so things aren't definitive yet.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

34 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

In the load tests, DDR5 did not do so badly because of the higher bandwidth. But why spend a lot of money if it isn't significantly better?

I would expect DDR5 to improve HQPlayer performance based on some of the benchmarks I've seen. Since I've also seen improvements with CPUs that have 4 memory channels (Xeon and Extreme Edition). Especially with bigger filters.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Oh, and what about its performance with HQP OS, assuming that it's compatible with HQP OS? 

If DSD512 works with Windows, might it better with HQP OS?

16 minutes ago, Miska said:

I have not tested yet... I will try some time later when I find time.

If you are already testing: completely switch off the E-Cores in BIOS. That should activate the P-Cores AVX512. 🤗

Online the scalpers already exhausted the inventory, I was able to order it from my supplier, let's see when it is scheduled for delivery.

Anyone care to comment about these boards to match the i9-12900k?

ASUS ROG Strix Z690-G Gaming WiFi
GIGABYTE Z690I Aorus Ultra
ASRock Z690 Phantom Gaming 4 LGA 1700

and getting a board with DDR5 even worth it?

Apple has introduced the M1 Pro and M1 Max chips. I haven't seen any reports yet of how they perform with HQP.

Apple's next step is to take these new chips and combine 2 or 4 of them into a single super powerful chip. Of course, there will likely be a performance cost to combining the chips, so we wouldn't see a full 2x or 4x the performance of the single chip. But from what I understand, the M1 was designed with this end goal in mind, so they should be formidable. We're talking about either 20 or 40 computing cores and either 64 or 128 GPU cores. And these are M1 Max cores.

These machines will surely be extraordinary for their intended use cases. And they'll be expensive. We'll have to wait and see if any of this yields benefits for HQP. The biggest clue will be whether or not the HQP DSP workload can be spread to more than the 4 performance cores that exist in the 1st generation M1. If so, then a single 10 core M1 Max chip could be an ideal HQP server, with far lower power and cooling requirements than Intel's 12th generation chips. There's a rumored forthcoming Mac Mini version, which would be my choice.

So I'm looking forward to hearing reports of how HQP runs on the recently released M1 Pro and M1 Max chips. I'll be waiting to get more information before making decision between Intel & Apple. 

https://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2021/20211021_1030-Apple-ARM-M1X-ReaderComment-M1Max2X_4X.html

On 11/13/2021 at 12:12 PM, bobflood said:

The big question is: Did DSD 512 make any noticeable improvement in the sound vs 256, IOW is it worth the effort?

Exactly the question to be answered before shelling out dollars for a significant upgrade. Could the user evaluate the difference using the trial version of Pro? Record a track using DSD 256 and 512 with ASDM7ECv2 modulator. Would that produce a fair comparison or are there limitations preventing that?

2 hours ago, sledwards said:

Exactly the question to be answered before shelling out dollars for a significant upgrade. Could the user evaluate the difference using the trial version of Pro? Record a track using DSD 256 and 512 with ASDM7ECv2 modulator. Would that produce a fair comparison or are there limitations preventing that?

That's a great idea. So simple and logical that I wish I'd thought of it. 

Even so, the answer can't be a simple yes or no for everyone. It has to depend on how well your DAC performs at DSD 256 vs DSD 512 as well as whether or not the rest of your system is capable of revealing the improvement if there is any. 

6 hours ago, sledwards said:

Could the user evaluate the difference using the trial version of Pro? Record a track using DSD 256 and 512 with ASDM7ECv2 modulator. Would that produce a fair comparison

I don't see a technical reason why it wouldn't be a valid comparison.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Jussi must done some magic on the latest 3 or 4 win desktop version. I can now play 512 dsd, 7ECv2, ext3 on 11900K+3090. So 12900 must be able to do 7ECv2 at 512dsd. I am sure an extra GPU can help improving music too.

From my person view, it definitely worths the money for the latest CPU. I believe computing power contributes to good sound for HQP.