IGNORED

Best (sane) choice to power micro/ultraRendu?

19 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

I asked Teddy if that web page was accurate. This is what he said:

Not only that it is not accurate, it’s irrelevant…

He is referring to an old STR version which is different from the circuit we use for our commercial products In addition, even with regard to the old design, he is using different transistors with different parameters than in our design, and makes the assumption that it doesn’t change the behavior, but it proves that he doesn’t understand how the circuit works, he is wrong, it totally changes the circuit behavior.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Does he provide a graph for Voltage regulation vs. load current , as most normal voltage regulator data sheets do ?

That's the area that most concerns me in light of the Belleson claim, who BTW., also have an excellent reputation for their voltage regulators..

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, sandyk said:

Does he provide a graph for Voltage regulation vs. load current , as most normal voltage regulator data sheets do ?

That's the area that most concerns me in light of the Belleson claim, who BTW., also have an excellent reputation for their voltage regulators..

What is your deal with this? You don't like Teddy Pardo power supplies? Don't buy them. But don't crap on them when you don't know crap about them.

The Teddy Pardo power supply has an excellent reputation. I suspect Teddy has forgotten more about power supplies than you will ever know. I did the research and found overwhelmingly positive comments regarding his commercial power supplies.

8 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

What is your deal with this? You don't like Teddy Pardo power supplies? Don't buy them. But don't crap on them when you don't know crap about them.

The Teddy Pardo power supply has an excellent reputation. I suspect Teddy has forgotten more about power supplies than you will ever know. I did the research and found overwhelmingly positive comments regarding his commercial power supplies.

You asked for advice about choosing a power supply.

I simply provided further information, some of which was not favourable, although perhaps biased for commercial reasons.

This is quite a bit different to people like yourself who crap in threads without providing any technical information.

As a result of my research you now know a lot more about this PSU than you did previously, and enough further information to discuss the claimed PSU deficiencies PSU with it's designer.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

That's not what you are "simply" doing. You are looking for anything negative you can find on the Teddy Pardo power supply "simply" because I chose to order one. All the negatives you have found don't apply or have been refuted. If you find pertinent data, negative or positive, on the actually Teddy Pardo power supply I ordered, feel free to post it. Unsubstantiated competitor rants don't qualify....

3 hours ago, Speed Racer said:

That's not what you are "simply" doing. You are looking for anything negative you can find on the Teddy Pardo power supply "simply" because I chose to order one. All the negatives you have found don't apply or have been refuted. If you find pertinent data, negative or positive, on the actually Teddy Pardo power supply I ordered, feel free to post it. Unsubstantiated competitor rants don't qualify....

If I had found any POSITIVE independent technical reports, not just Fanboi type stuff, I would have posted that too.

I looked further into the subject as I have an interest in that area, and I feel sure that some other members would also like to know more about the actual design.

Even now, we still know 5/8 of SFA about how the front end before the very low noise regulator section works.

SotM SPS-500 ordered this evening, got an immediate response from SoTM that it would be sent Fedex later in the day.  Will want to burn it in but hopefully by end of next week can share whether it panned out vs the HDPlex PS. @SpeedRacer , will be curious as to your experience after you have had time to play with the Teddy Pardo PS

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 11/15/2017 at 8:20 PM, Speed Racer said:

I am intrigued by the CIaudio linear power supply. Does anyone here have any experience with it? I have read good things about the product and company. I like the idea of not having any SMPS in my audio rack!

I just pulled the trigger today on the CIAudio 7v power supply for my mR.  Very much looking forward to hearing it - should arrive next week.   I’ll let you know.....

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

SPS-500 arrived, running the Microzotl 2 off it now for burn in. So far I can say that it runs a lot cooler than the HDPlex... and that I had a moment of panic

after turn on with 0V measured output until I realized the green "powered" indicator on the front is also a  relay switch  :)

Ouch! My ear just got whacked  by the big drum used in Braveheart/Mornay's Dream... yea I think there's more current available  here than in the HDPlex...

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

hmm, how to say this. I am underwhelmed at the difference  between the HDPlex and the SPS-500 at a first listen feeding the microRendu. I'm going to give this the benefit of the doubt, that the lack of improvement is due to limitations of the Gustard U12 asynch USB converter. Hopefully Schitt will come though with my back-ordered Eitr  end of next week and I can try again after it settles in. Life is a lot, lot better though using the SPS-500 with the Microzotl 2

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I've been very happy with my humble Agilent U8001a Lab Grade PS. http://www.newark.com/keysight-technologies/u8001a/power-supply-1ch-30v-3a-adjustable/dp/14N3964?mckv=szqLK24Fh_dc|pcrid|219893014229|plid||kword|u8001a|match|p&CMP=KNC-GUSA-GEN-SKU-MDC-NF&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIofvWy7Lq1wIVwVYNCh2PBAdlEAAYASAAEgLIRPD_BwE

Under $450.....Just dont keep it in your main listening room. Fan is noisy.

Measures pretty well though. I have no complaints with it

Screenshot-2017-12-1 1854139 pdf.png

10 minutes ago, davide256 said:

hmm, how to say this. I am underwhelmed at the difference  between the HDPlex and the SPS-500 at a first listen feeding the microRendu. I'm going to give this the benefit of the doubt, that the lack of improvement is due to limitations of the Gustard U12 asynch USB converter. Hopefully Schitt will come though with my back-ordered Eitr  end of next week and I can try again after it settles in. Life is a lot, lot better though using the SPS-500 with the Microzotl 2

Dave

I presume that the HDPlex is a Linear PSU ?

The SPS500 appears to be a SMPS , judging by the wide AC voltage input range without a selector switch, and the .pdf which doesn't appear to give too much away, including output noise level.

If you have access to a DMM, try measuring for A.C. voltage between it's metal case and mains earth.

If you read a fairly high A.C. voltage, it will almost certainly be an SMPS in use, and possibly also benefit from the 0 volts being earthed, although I would first try something  like a 22 to 100 ohms resistor to earth instead initially, instead of a direct connection to mains earth to see if it improves. 

Alex

http://docs.sotm-audio.com/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=manuals:sps-500_user_guide_rev1.1.pdf

9 hours ago, sandyk said:

Dave

I presume that the HDPlex is a Linear PSU ?

The SPS500 appears to be a SMPS , judging by the wide AC voltage input range without a selector switch, and the .pdf which doesn't appear to give too much away, including output noise level.

If you have access to a DMM, try measuring for A.C. voltage between it's metal case and mains earth.

If you read a fairly high A.C. voltage, it will almost certainly be an SMPS in use, and possibly also benefit from the 0 volts being earthed, although I would first try something  like a 22 to 100 ohms resistor to earth instead initially, instead of a direct connection to mains earth to see if it improves. 

Alex

http://docs.sotm-audio.com/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=manuals:sps-500_user_guide_rev1.1.pdf

hmm, can try but the U12 has already given me fits where the DBS feature on the AQ cable  breaks 176/192 DAC coax synch yet works with iFi Nano for asynch USB to coax conversion... having to use Toslink with it. The DMM shows about 163 mv between ground and case, not sure if that matters. If its an SMPS, I'm not going to complain, the playback difference  powering Zotl 2 headphone/pre-amp is like switching from bookshelf to full size speakers.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

7 hours ago, davide256 said:

hmm, can try but the U12 has already given me fits where the DBS feature on the AQ cable  breaks 176/192 DAC coax synch yet works with iFi Nano for asynch USB to coax conversion... having to use Toslink with it. The DMM shows about 163 mv between ground and case, not sure if that matters. If its an SMPS, I'm not going to complain, the playback difference  powering Zotl 2 headphone/pre-amp is like switching from bookshelf to full size speakers.

You may need to check that the 0 volts ("earth" side) of the PSU is connected to the case. It may not be.

You may need to measure AC from 0 volts to mains earth to be sure.

If you still only read a couple of hundred mV then I wouldn't be worried about it.

Most consumer SMPS devices read as high as half the actual mains supply voltage to mains earth from 0 volts.

On 11/28/2017 at 7:49 PM, OldBigEars said:

I just pulled the trigger today on the CIAudio 7v power supply for my mR.  Very much looking forward to hearing it - should arrive next week.   I’ll let you know.....

Where are you located? I ask because it might be interesting to swap power supplies at some point to see if one sounds better than the other in our respective systems. I was torn between the a Teddy Pardo and the CI Audio. I would love to find out if I made the right choice and rectify the problem if I did not!

1 hour ago, Speed Racer said:

Where are you located? I ask because it might be interesting to swap power supplies at some point to see if one sounds better than the other in our respective systems. I was torn between the a Teddy Pardo and the CI Audio. I would love to find out if I made the right choice and rectify the problem if I did not!

I’m in New Jersey, near nyc. You.? It could be interesting to swap for a while. I hear good things about TP.  Almost went for his amp.  My CI power arrives on Tuesday - I’ll probably want to spend a few weeks with it before swapping but let’s discuss later in Jan.  

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

10 minutes ago, OldBigEars said:

I’m in New Jersey, near nyc. You.? It could be interesting to swap for a while. I hear good things about TP.  Almost went for his amp.  My CI power arrives on Tuesday - I’ll probably want to spend a few weeks with it before swapping but let’s discuss later in Jan.  

Sounds like a plan. I will post my impressions of the Teddy Pardo. It should be here either today or Monday.

7 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

The Teddy Pardo power supply just showed and is now installed in my system. There are no SMPS anywhere near my audio components now. Yay!!

Way to go !

Do you watch DTV using your Audio system , or rely on your TV's usually crappy tiny speakers, with typically cheap and nasty generic  Class D amplifiers to drive them ?

16 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Way to go !

Do you watch DTV using your Audio system , or rely on your TV's usually crappy tiny speakers, with typically cheap and nasty generic  Class D amplifiers to drive them ?

My TV setup is completely separate from my 2 channel setup. I am not interested in discussing the TV setup as that is a whole different can of worms. 

Okay, after 2 hours of burn in time, the Teddy Pardo power supply has improved the sound quality of my setup. I knew that the sound was better almost immediately but I wasn’t able to put my finger on the how.

Then, listening to Norah Jones’ “Come Away with Me” and “Don’t Know Why” it became clear. There was a reduction in sibilance that made her voice easier to listen to even at higher volume settings. Also, that tendency for voice to sound a little nasally was gone.

I then listened to my 24/176.4 version of Reiner’s “Scheherazade”. It sounded smoother with no trace of sibilance. I can’t believe this piece was recorded in early 1960!

I can’t wait for the Teddy Pardo power supply and Lush USB cable to burn in as they both are reputed to need 100 hours or so to sound there best. 

I will verify this not expectation bias in a couple of weeks. Of course, I should be getting my new custom built preamp around that time. More to test!

26 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Then, listening to Norah Jones’ “Come Away with Me” and “Don’t Know Why” it became clear. There was a reduction in sibilance that made her voice easier to listen to even at higher volume settings. Also, that tendency for voice to sound a little nasally was gone.

That is a good album for checking out these things.  The lower the system noise etc. the better this album sounds,

with the improvements that you have noticed.

This has gone in a bit of a different direction than I planned. The difference the SPS-500 makes powering the Microzotl 2 headphone/pre-amp is just too great from that of using the HDPlex to ignore or even contemplate going back to the HDPlex for comparison when the Eitr arrives. Even better, with the HDPlex 12 v tap freed up, i was able to use it with the Synology NAS, a cleaner and more irritant free result in sound. So will sit tight with the new configuration for a few months, until I've kicked the tires long enough to think about introducing and evaluating another change.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 8 months later...
On 11/18/2017 at 10:34 AM, Speed Racer said:

No worries. I just need to figure out which 7vdc 2A linear power supply to buy......I am leaning toward the Teddy Pardo. 

This power supply seems to offer what you are looking for: https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/accessories/products/7v-linear-power-supply?variant=12351315214370

It's recommended for rendu's.

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2018 at 7:36 AM, misterspense said:

This power supply seems to offer what you are looking for: https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/accessories/products/7v-linear-power-supply?variant=12351315214370

It's recommended for rendu's.

This is timely, I just noticed this thread and these LPS from small green comp. 

I'm looking to power my mU and Trendnet TFC-1000MGA (fiber media converter).  These two live side by side on same shelf.

I'm currently using this Jameco and this Jameco to power them.  I got those in a pinch from recommendations here.

This 200w small green computer is another option as well as it has four outputs that are adjustable.

Anyone have some input on these small green computer items above or other solid performing LPS to go with for each of these or is the mU more important?  Looking for a 7v or 9v for mU and 5v for media converter.

My rig

In the FWIW column,  I did eventually buy an LPS 1.2 as well as ISO Regen. The LPS 1.2 within its current limitations is a better PS than than SoTM SPS500 for ISO Regen and/or microRendu. While I did not find power supply for the FMC to matter much, using a Netgear switch powered off the 12V tap of the SPS500 was noticeably better as a buffer between microRendu and rest of network... I use that instead of bothering with FMC's

Regards,

Dave

Audio system