IGNORED

Best (sane) choice to power micro/ultraRendu?

On 11/2/2018 at 8:53 PM, davide256 said:

In the FWIW column,  I did eventually buy an LPS 1.2 as well as ISO Regen. The LPS 1.2 within its current limitations is a better PS than than SoTM SPS500 for ISO Regen and/or microRendu. While I did not find power supply for the FMC to matter much, using a Netgear switch powered off the 12V tap of the SPS500 was noticeably better as a buffer between microRendu and rest of network... I use that instead of bothering with FMC's

Thanks for the info.  I really like the idea of one PS that powers multiple items of varying voltage requirements, like the 200W item i referenced (which turns out to be a HD Plex model that small green computer are selling) . Although I seem to recall mixed reviews on the HDplex stuff.  I would rather not have 2 or 3 individual power supplies (LPS 1.2 or others) as it is so much damn clutter. 

My managed switch runs on AC (svr rack in laundry room) which has built in SFP's

I like the idea of the Wyred for Sound modular PS, but there isn't a lot of feedback / couple reviews.  I may look for a used LPS 1.0 and see if it makes a difference with the mU and go from there.

My rig

My problem with the UpTone Audio LPS 1 and LPS 1.2 is that, for best results, you need to power them with a quality linear power supply. I am not going to buy a power supply that needs a linear power supply to power it. I never understood why UpTone didn't build a reasonable linear power supply into a box with the their LPS. Yes, it is going to cost more. But is it going to cost more than buying the LPS and a quality linear power supply to power it???? I want less components in my rack, not more. 

So, I would buy a great linear power supply instead of the LPS 1.2 and a nice linear power supply.

37 minutes ago, diecaster said:

My problem with the UpTone Audio LPS 1 and LPS 1.2 is that, for best results, you need to power them with a quality linear power supply. I am not going to buy a power supply that needs a linear power supply to power it. I never understood why UpTone didn't build a reasonable linear power supply into a box with the their LPS.

That is absolutely incorrect.

Sorry, I can not let this myth perpetuate.  The entire point of our bank-alternating ultracapacitor design (with multiple fully-isolated power domains) is that the side connected--to the paralleled LT3045 output regulators--at any given moment is disconnected from the charing circuits (which are busy charging the opposite bank).

Saying that the charging with a linear PS makes a difference is like saying that charging your cell phone's battery with cleaner power will make a difference to you calls or tunes.  You could charge our UltraCap units with most dirty/noisy/nasty power on the planet (as long as it is the right voltage/current) and the DC output will be exactly the same. 

[There is a small proviso in that it is worthwhile to prevent a unique form of AC leakage--which we refer to as high-source-impedance leakage--from entering our UltraCap units.  But that is easily accomplished and the SMPS we ship with the LPS-1.2 fully takes care of that.  See: https://uptoneaudio.com/products/uptone-branded-7-5v-4-8a-36w-smps-with-internal-ground-shunt]

6 minutes ago, diecaster said:

Myth? I am not not talking about the cleanliness of the power your LPS 1 or 1.2 put out. I am worried about the crap the SMPS is putting back into the AC mains affecting everything else!

You really should not worry--at least when using an SMPS to "energize"/charge our UltraCap supplies.  There are a lot of misunderstandings regarding the true evil of SMPS units. It goes a bit like this:

Contrary to popular belief, modern SMPS warts and bricks do not actually kick much back into the wall in the way of high-frequency harmonics (multiples of their switching frequency).  There are strict government regulations about this, so the little that does go back in the wall is extremely high frequency (hundreds of KHz up to hundreds of MHz), spread wide, and very low in level.  

Due to other loads in your house (especially lighting circuits) your mains from the wall is far noisier that what the SMPS will kick in. In fact, some decent quality SMPS bricks actually "absorb" noise and quiet the line a bit. See this demo--and keep in mind that the wall outlet I used was from a dedicated line going right back to my house main panel:

[By the way, all conventional linear power supplies (transformer>diodes>caps>regulators) will themselves put harmonics back into the AC mains--at multiples of the 50/60Hz line frequency--because they conduct current during only 50% of the AC wave cycle. The choke-filtered JS-2 is unique because due to the large choke, it is conducting current during over 97% of the AC wave cycle and thus does not put harmonics back into the wall.  As far as we know, it is the only power-factor-corrected linear power supply on the market.]

But back to SMPS:

Aside from their DC output not being very quiet (80mV peak-to-peak RMS noise is typical), the true evil of an SMPS is the copious amount of AC leakage current they put out--on their DC cables and hence into every component in your system that shares a common ground via analog or digital cable. (That is blocked by our battery-like UltraCap supplies, hence we can supply them with an SMPS as the the charging brick.)

I am currently using an UpTone JS-2 to power the UpTone Audio LPS-1.2.  The only reason I am doing it this way instead of using the SMPS that comes with the LPS-1.2 is because I have an open tap on the JS-2.  I bought the JS-2 to power my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ and it really makes the DAC sound great.  After speaking with Alex Crespi at UpTone several times I decided to power the LPS-1.2 this way even though Alex has repeatedly told me that this is overkill.  I think that the system sounds wonderful this way.  Seems silly to leave the tap open if I have it available and the LPS-1.2 runs much cooler with the JS-2 tap running at 12V.   Just one man's journey.  

1 hour ago, John A said:

Seems silly to leave the tap open if I have it available and the LPS-1.2 runs much cooler with the JS-2 tap running at 12V.   Just one man's journey.  

I do not mind you doing so John, but to be clear for others, the thermal difference on an UltraCap LPS-1.2 charged with 12V versus charged with 7.5V (the output of ur suppled 36W SMPS brick) can be only a couple of degrees C. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Don’t know if I’m posting this in the right forum, forgive for my newbie-ness.

I’m just happy with my LPS choice and wanted to share.

My ultraRendu arrived Friday, spent approx. 10 minutes setting it up yesterday, procedure smooth as butter.

Then grounded my net switch SMPS according to the great advice written by Mr . JS and played back some music... WOW have never heard my system sound so great.

I use the SGC 7V LPS. I’m very happy with it.

All equipment is connected to separate power outlets with different breakers. Net switch is in a separate room with my Mac.

I really feel like Santa came a bit early this year!

Thank you for this great product.

Cheers

Lars from Tokyo

ED1C0852-AA72-4F10-8CD5-12F4DD9375DB.jpeg

27 minutes ago, AVanquish said:

Don’t know if I’m posting this in the right forum, forgive for my newbie-ness. 

Hi Lars:

I see this is your very first post, so I just wanted to say welcome to CA!

Glad your enjoying your new audio toys.

Best wishes,

—Alex C.

P.S. I like your Nipper dog! I have one too.  People ask, and I call him the “guardian of good sound.”

42 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Lars:

I see this is your very first post, so I just wanted to say welcome to CA!

Glad your enjoying your new audio toys.

Best wishes,

—Alex C.

P.S. I like your Nipper dog! I have one too.  People ask, and I call him the “guardian of good sound.”

Thank you Alex!

I love my small Nipper too! Currently looking for a small gramophone to accompany him :)

• 3 years later...

Can anybody recommend a LIGHT (i.e. weight < 1 kg) power supply/battery pack for the UltraRendu? All the linear power supplies recommended in this thread are heavy. I frequently travel with my entire headphone chain internationally, so I need something light.

Something like the iPower Elite (half a kg) would be great, but it only does 5V or 12V (or higher).

A 9V iPowerX would be fine too, except that the website specifically says that it's "not recommended" to use 9V.

37 minutes ago, Atriya said:

Can anybody recommend a LIGHT (i.e. weight < 1 kg) power supply/battery pack for the UltraRendu? All the linear power supplies recommended in this thread are heavy. I frequently travel with my entire headphone chain internationally, so I need something light.

Something like the iPower Elite (half a kg) would be great, but it only does 5V or 12V (or higher).

A 9V iPowerX would be fine too, except that the website specifically says that it's "not recommended" to use 9V.

The microrendu runs best at 7V. I would see if Uptone has any of their wall warts to power the eR or LPS around. They're quite good quality and will get you closest to a linear power supply. Keep in mind you have no control over the quality of AC when traveling, so best to just go simple imo. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

• 2 months later...