IGNORED

SMPS and grounding

39 minutes ago, rickca said:

OK here's a really stupid question.  Why don't they make SMPS with negative DC output grounded in the first place?

Yeah, I've been wondering that for weeks now since John starting playing with this during measurement sessions.  Probably has something to do with regulatory requirements.  A lot of the European regs are very strict with regards to what goes back into the mains--caring less about what comes out of the DC end.

I sent John a low-leakage "medical" Mean Well for testing a while ago.  It would be funny if the difference with that one was its grounding.  I'll ask him to check it.

Speaking of grounding--but not to be confused with this grounding of the output topic--I recently discovered (upon opening one) that although the Mean Well we offer for REGENs and LPS-1s has a 3-pin, IEC320-C14 socket, that ground pin is not connected to ANYTHING inside the SMPS!

(I still prefer to provide that style of unit--versus wall-wart or figure-8 C7 inlet--so that we don't have to stock and keep track of wall plugs/cables for all countries.  Everyone gets a 50cm USA cord that fits in the package and they can toss it or cut the end and put on a local plug--or whatever.)

1 hour ago, sadekkhalifa said:

I have two questions regarding to iFI Groundhog:-

1- Will the IsoRegen + Lps-1 can benefit from Groundhog?

Shunting SMPS leakage currents is most always a good thing.  (And yes, even a bit for an LPS-1; We will present our findings about this at a later date.)

1 hour ago, sadekkhalifa said:

2- And does the Groundhog solve the issue of ground loop in some systems when the Isolation is enabled in IsoRegen like what i have?

I don't recall your particular issue, but most of the folks that experience issues with Silanna-based USB galvanic isolation (this includes iGalvanic users too) suffer from lack of good grounding (typically on the downstream side), not "ground loops."

The solution to that is generally to ground the downstream USB input (see my long post here: https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31877-iso-regen-listening-impressions-kicked-off-with-some-measurements/?page=26&tab=comments#comment-714912).

While the single wire solution I present is cheaper, the Groundhog solution can do the same thing for the ISO REGEN--but only if you use it on the DC input jack of the ISO REGEN.  Putting it on the DC input jack of the LPS-1 will not help any "lack of ground ticks/disconnects," as the output of the LPS-1 is completely "floated."

--Alex C.

5 hours ago, rickca said:

So that's different than grounding the downstream USB input, right?  

No.  The ground (outside of DC barrel) of the ISO REGEN's power input and the shell/ground of the ISO REGEN's USB output jack (and hence the same on the DAC's USB input jack) are common to one another (use a continuity checker and you will see).

So running a wire from the ISO REGEN output/DAC USB input to AC mains ground is the same thing as connecting the ISO REGEN's DC "ground" to AC mains.

15 hours ago, agladstone said:

Also, if I followed this thread carefully enough, it seems like for my LPS-1 that powers my ISO Regen, I would want to have the ground wire going to the DC input of the ISO-Regen and NOT the DC input of the LPS-1, is this correct?

With the present topic, no, you would just ground the DC of the supply that you have feeding your LPS-1.

Also, If I’m clear, in addition to one going to input of ISO-Regen, another ground wire should also go into the input of the LPS-1 from the meanwell SMPS that is powering the LPS-1? 

Grounding of the ISO REGEN (its DC input jack is already and always common to its USB 'A' output shell and consequently your DAC's USB input ground) is only necessary in cases where you experience ticks or disconnects (caused by EMI charge build up with the Silanna chip having no place to "drain" to).  Otherwise, doing that is not advised--and there is even a chance you will introduce a ground loop (though it should be harmless since on that, the downstream side of the isolation,  only the ISO REGEN and your DAC-onward are involved; upstream, computer-side is of course isolated).

Hope that all makes sense.  Experiment and do what sounds good.

--Alex C.

6 hours ago, mourip said:

What about a device that has an internal SMPS that is fed via an external IEC socket and connected to a three plug AC cable. Is it most likely that given the fact that there is a ground pin being used that the SMPS has a ground connection to it or is it more likely that the ground pin is just a chassis safety ground?

I can probably answer my own question with "It depends on how it was designed" however is there any harm to making sure that the negative output of the SMPS is in fact tied to the IEC ground or would this be ill advised?

Hi Paul, really nice to see you here!

Indeed the answer is "depends on how it was designed."

While we (UpTone, myself, John S.) are NOT advising anyone to open up their AC powered devices or to stick fingers inside (while standing in a puddle of water in a rainstorm O.o), it should be rather easy to check.

We are talking about determining if the DC output ground of the SMPS is common to the AC mains safety ground.   So all you need do--with POWER OFF please--is put one probe of a continuity checker (the beeping setting of your multimeter) on whichever terminal of the internal SMPS is not the +DC (avoiding calling it "ground" on purpose), and the other probe on the ground pin of the IEC inlet.

If you get a beep then the output of the device's SMPS is already grounded.  If not, well then it is up to you as to if you wish to ground it (may void warranty, don't blame us for damage, etc.).

Cheers,

--Alex C.

44 minutes ago, Cornan said:

+1 I would be very interested to know this as well. My Brooklyn DAC have a SMPS connected to a grounded IEC. Just thinking out loud. If the IEC is connected to the chassi, would'nt a ground wire from chassi to safety ground (or grounding box) do pretty much the same thing as internally rewiring the IEC socket so it is connected to the safety ground?

Not entirely following you.  We are talking about grounding the (non-positive) OUTPUT of the SMPS.  So it really depends upon if the ground-plane of the circuit board is common with the chassis (which IS most likely common to AC mains ground).  There is a chance that only the SMPS INPUT is grounded to the chassis/inlet.  You would need to use a meter to check.

44 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Looking at a picture inside Brooklyn DAC it does look like the SMPS is actually connected to the IEC ground pin.

Well again, the SMPS input is most assuredly connected to the IEC ground pin.  But the photo does not give enough detail to tell if the OUTPUT of the supply is.  I see just the two black wires going to the PCB.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Cornan said:

I will receive two today and will use one the output of my isolation transformer with floating secondary (replacing my 1-pole ditto) and on the output of my balanced isolation transformer with floating center tap.

I assume you realize that by not connecting the center tap it is no longer a "balanced transformer."  A hamburger without the meat patty in the middle is just a bun... 9_9

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

or is it this: the solid state “relays”/MOSFET switches in the power supply have very high impedance when “off” and connected to the input SMPS so transmit this leakage?

yeah I think these are parasitic capacitances on the package, mosfets etc and really do pass much more current at higher frequencies — and grounding the SMPS does provide a low impedance path to ground.

MOSFETs where?  There are none in the LPS-1.

34 minutes ago, BigGuy said:

IF the LPS or SMPS is grounded with a 3-prong plug, does this mean a grounding umbilical on the output is superfluous?

No!  Just because a PS may have a 3-prong (and actually have that pin connected on the primary side), it does not mean that it is also connecting that ground to its DC zero-volt output side.

An example that is the 40 watt Mean Well I posted graphs and a photo of:  Unlike the 25W series MW (okay the 7V version is labeled 22W) the GST40A units do come with their C14 AC input ground pin connected to the primary side.  But they still need the mod (green wire in my photo or external accomplishment of the same) to shunt the high-impedance leakage back to ground as discussed.

See also my overdue reply to @rickca in my next post.

On 10/27/2017 at 5:49 PM, rickca said:

This is promising.  Is there an SMPS product line that's already grounded with a variety of volts/amps that might help me replace my other SMPS (the ones not powering an LPS-1).  Since I don't do DIY and find iFi's $50 kit obscenely priced, this would be great.

Hi Rick:

Well the thing is, this is not something that any SMPS manufacturer specifies.  And it seems to vary some even within a brand's offerings.  So each one has to be tested (VERY easy: Just put a continuity checker across the ground pin--has to be a 3-wire unit of course--and the outer barrel of the output and hope for a beep.)

I have bought a few brands through normal distribution but don't thing we can draw any conclusions about who does and does not offer what we seek.

I confess that most of my sourcing research is focused on Chinese brands that have low cost models which meet our requirements (or for which the factory is willing to customize for us).  I am looking for pieces for $8-15 in quantity, not $22-28 or more.

But if anyone comes across units that display continuity (as above), please e-mail me with the brand and model.  Even if you don't discover a brand whose whole line is correct for us, maybe there will be a model or two.  It's worth knowing.

1 minute ago, jabbr said:

Some do ... but trust me there are some MOSFETs ... including likely inside the solid state relays... even without there are parasitics 

Lets take this offline Jonathan.  But just to be clear, there are no "solid state relays" on the LPS-1, no MOSFETs.  John chose very low capacitance bipolars for the task.

Are you still working on your ultracapacitor LPS (which we saw uses MOSFETs)?  Did you ever get it fully working? :)

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Perhaps I am missing something? Would it be possible to draw out a proposed schematic that would illustrate these two distinct, components (each having their own impedance/frequency profile)?

John may be able to (though he is pretty busy on one of our  unannounced new products right now), but I think the three measurement graphs I posted (https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/?do=findComment&comment=734822)

do a good job of proving the existence of the two distinct forms of leakage.  The SMPS before and after ground shunting graphs shows the elimination of the high impedance stuff, and then the graph going through the LPS-1 shows the elimination of the remaining low impedance stuff. (Not presented was the graph showing  the un-shunted SMPS powering the LPS-1: Much of the high impedance leakage can be seen getting through--until the simple input ground shunting is put in place.)

1 minute ago, chetthejet said:

Should the shunt go in at the isoRegen connection or at the connection between the LPS-1 and the Meanwell???

Ground ONLY the Mean Well's zero-volt ("ground")!  Do NOT ground the output of the LPS-1 or you will defeat both its "floating"/isolation feature and the galvanic isolation of the ISO REGEN. 

B|

15 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Then your LPS-1 at 5VDC should work just fine, right? But it doesn't......

Wow, you really want to argue this?  The fact that it is not happy with 5V input simply means that with the synchronous buck regulator chip used, combined with whatever surrounding caps and inductor, 5V falls outside the input range.  There really is very little sophistication in the PS of these cheap switches.