IGNORED

Roon's first real UI mistep?

crenca

Roon in their latest build fundamentally changes the "Play" button behavior.  Even if you are prefer the new behavior, I think you can admit the change is fundamental (auto destroying your que, etc.).  I don't like it but I understand why some would.  But is it too much - making everyone drive on the right overnight all of a sudden?  What is next, "Metro" Roon?  

Been using Roon for 6 months and I have gotten so used to them doing almost everything right I admit this is their first blunder IMO.

What do you guys think?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I think it always required two taps previously to get music playing.  Now it's a single tap for "play album".  That's more consistent with other music players.  A change for the positive, I think.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

14 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

I think it always required two taps previously to get music playing.  Now it's a single tap for "play album".  That's more consistent with other music players.  A change for the positive, I think.

Well, one reason Roon stands apart is because it is not like "other music players".  True, two taps but the functionality gain was a different world. In addition, the play button now destroys your Que!  

IMO, the more Roon becomes like everyone else is the the more they need to $price$ their product like everyone else ;)

Now you have single button press play for individual tracks and albums. I was used to the two step process but I don't mind the new setup. It's different but not hard to get used to. You will get used to pressing the correct button. Also, if you play a track or album with single click by accident, there is an "undo" option that is present on the screen for 10 seconds or so.

14 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

It's different but not hard to get used to. You will get used to pressing the correct button.

Exactly right

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

18 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Now you have single button press play for individual tracks and albums. I was used to the two step process but I don't mind the new setup. It's different but not hard to get used to. You will get used to pressing the correct button. Also, if you play a track or album with single click by accident, there is an "undo" option that is present on the screen for 10 seconds or so.

Human beings have the capacity to get used to almost anything (such as, I don't know, the Gulag - even driving on the right ;) ) but is that an argument for UI design/change?

The "undo" option helps but really - an auto destruct button disguised as a play button that needs an undo feature is...a good thing??

A single click for "Play Playlist" when viewing a playlist.  Love it. 

Much improved - I always hated having to click 2-3 times just to play a track.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Clearly down to personal preference but for me it's a good move. I could never understand why several clicks were needed to play.

Roon has fundamentally changed the way in which I listen to music and my enjoyment in doing so. The TV now rarely goes on which says a lot! 

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

I think it's a major improvement, years of Roon use and I couldn't get used to or like the old second screen,  two click system.

The missing feature that should help everyone else like the cureent implementatiin is the ability to define the default action for the main play button.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I like the change!  This company seems to do no wrong IMO.  They're truly the most amazing software company I've ever used regardless of personal or professional.  In fact, many could learn from them!  :D

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I've lived with the old UI for the past 18 months, and found it fine. The Pawmasher always struck me as a bit "in yer face", but I could live with it. I was never in the "one click play" camp, but I have to say that the new UI has, for the most part, won me over.

I rarely use the queue, but the ease with which you can now accidentally delete it with the change to one-click play must be upsetting for those who do. I suspect that the Roonies will be busy with further tweaking of the new design to minimise queue accidents. 

1 hour ago, gcoupe said:

I rarely use the queue, but the ease with which you can now accidentally delete it with the change to one-click play must be upsetting for those who do. I suspect that the Roonies will be busy with further tweaking of the new design to minimise queue accidents. 

I know I am not the youngest (48) but I am surprised how many here appear to listen to their music (and thus use Roon or any other player software) in a point and shoot, one track at a time manner.

The only time I ever play a single track or album is when I sit down and fire up the software.  From then on, I am always manipulating the queue (adding, subtracting, moving tracks/album, etc.) but apparently many (most?) are simply playing one track at a time and thus are not put off by the new, auto destruct button... ;) 

I

2 minutes ago, crenca said:

I know I am not the youngest (48) but I am surprised how many here appear to listen to their music (and thus use Roon or any other player software) in a point and shoot, one track at a time manner.

The only time I ever play a single track or album is when I sit down and fire up the software.  From then on, I am always manipulating the queue (adding, subtracting, moving tracks/album, etc.) but apparently many (most?) are simply playing one track at a time and thus are not put off by the new, auto destruct button... ;) 

I must admit I also rarely use the queue much like gcoupe and tend to play album by album. Maybe I need to look at the queue facility.

I guess that's the wonderful thing about Roon, you can use it as suits you as it's so flexible. I love it!! 

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

15 minutes ago, crenca said:

I almost never play a single track or group of tracks, because I almost always play full ALBUMS.

It would never occur to me to break up an album to play individual tracks, or to rearrange tracks in a queue, etc. - I love the one-click play feature because I can play a whole album at once, then move on to the next one, etc., without all those, "are your sure?" "play now?", etc.  prompts. LOL

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I use the queue all the time. In fact, that is what I do mostly via playlists. The only time I listen to full albums is for Classical and Jazz. Well, I will listen to some full albums from my high school years. But, for the most part, I listen to playlists based on time periods. My favorite playlist is the Rock genre from the 60's and 70's.

I don't like being able to so easily delete the queue...but it is simple to avoid once you get used to the new control structure. I am sure that the Roon folks will clean up the UI and make changes/option to mitigate the problems some people are having. The UI is evolving which is a really good thing!

15 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

The UI is evolving which is a really good thing!

Evolution is not uni-directional.  Think of all the missteps Microsoft has made (Windows ME, Vista, and of course "Metro" 8) that were in fact moves in the wrong direction.

IMO, this is a problem for Roon - their "cloud service" paradigm where everything is constantly moving and changing - not always for the better.  Can I go back to an earlier version?  I do not believe that is an option.

jhwalker, while I occasionally queue up just a single album, most of the time I am adding two or more.  This usually occurs because as I am listening to one, I am exploring (or sitting back and then the current album calls to mind something else  by the same artist/composer/etc.) and end up wanting to listen to these others as well.  I don't always get through the first album but when I return the next day there it is in my queue.

IMO, Roon is going to have to adopt to this more complex, sophisticated "audiophile" habit as well ;)  For you point and shooters, since that is what just about every other player software manages why would you pay for an expensive, complex, feature rich software like Roon?

55 minutes ago, crenca said:

I hardly ever listen to playlists.  I'm 47.  Complete albums for this cat.  The odd single song if gauging a system change.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

10 minutes ago, crenca said:

IMO, Roon is going to have to adopt to this more complex, sophisticated "audiophile" habit as well ;)

They just did with the last update. :ph34r:

58 minutes ago, crenca said:

Evolution is not uni-directional.  Think of all the missteps Microsoft has made (Windows ME, Vista, and of course "Metro" 8) that were in fact moves in the wrong direction.

IMO, this is a problem for Roon - their "cloud service" paradigm where everything is constantly moving and changing - not always for the better.  Can I go back to an earlier version?  I do not believe that is an option.

I think you are overreacting. Roon is not Microsoft and we are talking about a full blown OS. "Evolving" suggests that only the beneficial changes will stick. Of course there will be missteps along the way. But the changes that are considered missteps by the community will not survive.

Just keep in mind that you, crenca, are not "the community". You are just one amongst thousands.....

10 minutes ago, Speed Racer said:

Just keep in mind that you, crenca, are not "the community". You are just one amongst thousands.....

Gosh, thanks for the clue...I did not know...

You strike me as a wise and learned man.  Answer me this, is water wet?

I preferred the "pawmasher" (although I hate the name) on my tablet. As someone who uses add next / queue far more than play now, everything still takes two clicks but it's slightly more fiddly. Advantage of the old way, buttons are always in the same position, slapping tracks onto a playlist...autopilot. Clicking tracks in the new version, the little menu appears either above or below depending on the screen position. So when you're near the dead middle of the screen scrolling down, it's not always obvious where the menu will appear..

I mean, the 0.1s spent processing that event could be put to more useful tasks like, I dunno,  getting loaded. Anyway, I'm sure someone will correct my wrongheaded thinking about this—how can that be an issue, a monkey could figure this out, etc. Certainly I'll get used to it, but for my listening habits there's no real advantage.