IGNORED

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

I use an Aurender front end, which has no volume control. So to control the music selection, volume and contour presets, I currently juggle a combination of iPad, remote control and get-up-and-walk. Not massively inconvenient but a decent Kii App that will use the bluetooth to interface to the controller for remote volume control and selection of contour presets would be nice.

in an age when there seems to be an app for everything it is a bit odd that it is taking so long to provide one for the Kii, even if there will ever be one.

Aurender W20 Music Server, Kii Three Active Speakers, Kii Digital Controller

Audioquest Diamond USB, Audioquest Niagara 7000 conditioner, Audioquest NRG-1000 HC mains leads

What I'd really like is a wireless volume control knob like the Devialet. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

3 hours ago, simonp said:

What's wrong with the little apple remote for volume and source? 

Nothing, actually. But if you want to change boundary or contour settings, or select a preset, a bluetooth app would be handy. Kii Audio has been advertising for software engineers, so one would hope that the rumors will become reality.

6 hours ago, simonp said:

What's wrong with the little apple remote for volume and source? 

Nothing. I just prefer a solid feeling knob. I'd also prefer some indication of the volume level I can see from my listening position, even if it is only the knob position. Just me, I like having the visual feedback. I'm way past the stage where I can hope to read something the size of the numbers on the Kii Control from my listening seat.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

do you use the wired remote for different source material?  or is it a set it up once and forget it type thing?

The Control isn’t really a remote.It’s more like a digital preamp/source control and gives the ability to program all the features of the Kii (if you want) without fiddling around with the rather difficult and small panel on the back of the speaker. It also enables switching between different sources. 

It can be a set and forget type device. For me it pretty much is. 

1 hour ago, Ralf11 said:

do you use the wired remote for different source material?  or is it a set it up once and forget it type thing?

As @firedog states it is more than a remote, although with a 5 m Cat 6 you can use it as wired remote. I do have programmed sources attached to the remote and use the XLR digital input solely for Dirac room correction. For quick access I use the Apple remote. I think the Control is used also for Firmware updates. I feel the Control is essential to get the most out of the Kii, specially since it provides access to fine control of the contour and boundary parameters.

I have read comments of people who have listened to Kii Three say that they sound dull, flat, analytical and uninteresting, or in other words simply not enjoyable for music listening. Instead, they claim it's an excellent system for mixing because of the analytical nature of the sound.

When I first learned about the Kii Three speakers I immediately fell in love with the concept and started doing my research. However, comments like above made me wonder if they're actually any good for casual music listening (from jazz to hip-hop).

Would you say the 14 different EQ pre-sets are good enough to make the speakers sound more warm and enjoyable?

I use them for listening; I'm not a pro and don't do mixing. 

I can imagine people not liking them; I can't imagine someone saying they are dull, flat, and uninteresting.

They are not a "warm" speaker, buy they playback warmth if it is there; they don't create it if it isn't. They are precise and revealing, does that make them "analytical" - with the implied negative connotations? 

I have certainly heard conventional speakers that I thought sounded more analytical than the Kii. 

If a speaker is warm sounding could someone also describe it as "bloated, slow, and overly lush"? Probably. Does that make it true? 

You need to hear them instead of just reading about them and judge for yourself how they sound to you. You may like them or you may not. 

I find them very enjoyable for all types of music. 

The EQ can certainly change the sound. You can with the Kii Control also use EQ to change the sound in many ways, acc'd to your taste. 

1 hour ago, ralfs said:

When I first learned about the Kii Three speakers I immediately fell in love with the concept and started doing my research. However, comments like above made me wonder if they're actually any good for casual music listening (from jazz to hip-hop).

Would you say the 14 different EQ pre-sets are good enough to make the speakers sound more warm and enjoyable?

Why do you want "warm?"  Why don't you want accurate?  If you have multiple EQs, all, except possibly one, are wrong.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I'm listening to the Santana song "Mother's Daughter" over the Kiis (MFSL version) as I write. Sounds properly "warm" to me. I don't know why anyone would want it "warmer".

3 hours ago, firedog said:

I use them for listening; I'm not a pro and don't do mixing. 

I can imagine people not liking them; I can't imagine someone saying they are dull, flat, and uninteresting.

They are not a "warm" speaker, buy they playback warmth if it is there; they don't create it if it isn't. They are precise and revealing, does that make them "analytical" - with the implied negative connotations? 

2 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Why do you want "warm?"  Why don't you want accurate?  If you have multiple EQs, all, except possibly one, are wrong.

The reason I brought this up is because last month I got to listen to some of the "pro" monitors that people use for mixing (PreSonus Sceptre S8 and popular white Yamaha monitors I forgot the name of) and even though they sounded accurate, I can't imagine enjoying listening to music on such speakers.

What I find interesting is that Kii Threes are being marketed as a high-end hi-fi system for home and as professional monitors for studios (mixing, mastering, producing) at the same time. This is why I got a little worried I may not like them.

Yes, I absolutely agree that I need to hear them before making any assumptions. I will be auditioning the Kii Threes this month and I will make sure to post my experience here on the forums. After reading all the reviews and praise for Kii Threes, I am very excited to hear the speakers in person!

If you are auditioning, you might take a look at the Dutch&Dutch 8c also.

Hi All,

Just a few tips that maybe someone will found useful (I am not a Pro): I am listening Kii's with MacBookPro and Roon, and I am very very happy.  However,  the best sound I heard in my room was with Melco as a source. That was a mind blowing experience. So I hope one day....

When it comes to "warm" sound, Kii's will deliver you depending on with what you feed them. I am using digital and analog inputs and if you have a bad source, Kii will not lying to you. They will show you exactly if something is wrong. Bad produced material will sound bad and that's it . I am also listening my TT via Kii's and can not be happier.

In addition, I have change the cable between the Kii's and the Control. Yes it is worth experimenting, as well as the feet under the Kii's. 

15 hours ago, Gastronaut said:

When it comes to "warm" sound, Kii's will deliver you depending on with what you feed them. I am using digital and analog inputs and if you have a bad source, Kii will not lying to you. They will show you exactly if something is wrong. Bad produced material will sound bad and that's it . I am also listening my TT via Kii's and can not be happier.

Agree with Gastronaut, if the Kii's sounds analytical its probably the source. I remember a demo with a lumin streamer, it wase also a bit with harshness.

The sound a have here is very natural and engaging. The Kii Control is a must have and don't forget the room acoustics.

Try a demo with the Kii's with the best available source. And you will find a very nice time machine wich takes you to the the music.

Kii Three / Kii Control / Lush 3 Uptone Iso Regen-Farad super 3 / OpticalRendu Farad super 3 / Etherregen / Roon Rock-Farad super 3

1 hour ago, simonp said:

Agree with Gastronaut, if the Kii's sounds analytical its probably the source. I remember a demo with a lumin streamer, it wase also a bit with harshness.

The sound a have here is very natural and engaging. The Kii Control is a must have and don't forget the room acoustics.

Try a demo with the Kii's with the best available source. And you will find a very nice time machine wich takes you to the the music.

After almost a year happy together with the Kii Three's I will in no way describe the Kii Three as analytical speakers. They reproduce and reveal in an excellent way so that they can be used both for studio/home studio use and also with great pleasure in  your home hi-fi system.  They also do a much better job in my room according to the room- acoustic compared to all my former speakers.

I have a small home studio making som music. The final mixing are always done using the Kii Three in my living room.

From an earlier post 

Auralic Aries G2 - Kii Control -  Kii Three active speakers -  OPPO BDP 95 - Clearaudio Concept turtable / AT-33 PTG II pu /Clearaudio Maestro Wood pu - Rega Fono MC riaa / Musical Surrondings riaa

Head-fi:

Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro - Shure SE846w/Silver Dragon - Chord Mojo

Everyone,

With all of the praise for the Kii Control, I have decided I don’t want to miss out and have placed an order with my Kii Dealer. 

Bit late for the Easter Basket I’m afraid but still looking forward to no longer having to fumble with those unreadable dials on the back of the speakers. :)

Thx for the comments / advice.

Oh no, warranty work coming up.....

My master speaker started making a repeating electrical clicking/thunk sound every 2 seconds.  As long as the speaker is plugged in it makes the sound regardless of input.  You literally have to unplug the speaker to make it stop.  They were playing at low level and I wasn't in the room when it crapped out. 

Bill Parrish of GTT Audio/Video says it sounds like an amp has taken a Schiit....he didn't exactly say that.  These were a demo pair that I bought.  Same ones Kal used in his review.  So who knows what people have done with driving these speakers.  I am sure demos get put through their paces with potential customers. 

Warranty work in the US involves sending them in to Grace Design in Lyons Colorado.  I have to pay for shipping to them and Grace repairs and pays for shipping back.  

I am very pleased Grace wants both speakers to replace amps in both speakers.  I have no idea if they are replacing all amps or what.

Shipping is not going to be cheap from where I live in the real Northern California....SF you ain't Northern California.... :P

But a lot cheaper than the cost of my shipping damaged Dual Pink Faun servers that have to be shipped back to the Netherlands at my cost......1450.00USD..... >:(

"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"

This is how Grace Design described the issue on the RMA form they sent me.

"Master speaker is power cycling with static burst and clicking". 

Yes, it sounds exactly like that.

"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
3 hours ago, Evo-No-Revo said:

This is how Grace Design described the issue on the RMA form they sent me.

"Master speaker is power cycling with static burst and clicking". 

Yes, it sounds exactly like that.

Sorry to hear this. I believe Bose on Gearslutz had an identical issue a few months back. He's in the UK so they went back to theNetherlands for repair.

My pair also did that about half a year ago. First one went clicking in a repeating cycle, then about a week later the second one did the same. 

The speakers went back to Netherlands, got stuck in the customs and currently I'm still waiting to get them back. While my case is certainly a freak incident with the customs that could have been avoided, it's clear that Kii should focus on licensing a few repair shops around to deal with this kind of small warranty stuff in the future.

The explanation was that something went wrong in the assembly line for the amplifiers. A quick peek at Hypex-forums shows this to be a common problem for Ncore-modules, hopefully from the same line of production. Otherwise it's likely it could be an inherent problem with the amplifier design, possibly related to regular cyclic overheating due to improper cooling? Just speculating here.

If my speculation holds any water, I fully expect my Kii's to come back with several holes and a massive fan x-D

Reading the forums for Hypex it looks like most issues with the amplifiers are easy fixes, but it's not a particularly good strategy to have customers having to fill out papers, deal with sending big boxes (if they still have them, which I did not), wait for weeks or months for the return and then having to deal with the fear of having to do it all again. 

In reality this is a small problem, an easy fix made complicated by a lack of local service centers, so I don't see it as a serious issue other than the inconvenience of it. For me this scenario was a part of my analysis before deciding to buy such an advanced and complicated package from a new company just starting up, so no surprises or concerns raised by a few troublesome units from this part.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the Kii Control arrived and I am struggling a bit to get a remote functioning.

The manual states that by selecting advanced settings -> IR remote settings -> imprint remote, the kii control will recognize the remote utilized by pressing any key on the RC handset. I have attempted to do so with 3 different RC’s and the kii control does not recognize any of them.

Any Ideas?