Jump to content
firedog

Kii Three - my impressions and pro reviews

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, mitchco said:

Here is the frequency response of both the Kii THREE and the D&D 8c overlaid as measured in my room. Both were tuned to produce a downward tilting response from 20 Hz to -10 dB at 20 kHz as per Harman's research.

 

Kii THREE Red Green D&D 8c Blue Mauve.jpg

 

This was achieved using the onboard controls only. The 8c is a bit smoother in the bottom end due to the additional PEQ's that the THREE does not have, but it in a double blind comparison, I doubt I could pick the two apart from a tonal perspective. As others have mentioned, the THREE sounds "dryer" than the 8c is about the only way I can describe any difference.

 

 

Very interesting post - I’ve read both of your reviews with interest.

 

Given the very closely matching FR, how would you account the “dryer” presentation of the Kii’s as you put it? 

 

Is there anything in the other REW data, such as the waterfall plots (perhaps faster decay) etc, that might explain the difference? Do you have the REW measurement files available at all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing in the REW files as I am talking about the direct sound. I can only attribute the difference to the overall electronic design and perhaps, "unique to the implementation used in the Kii THREE is a combined voltage/current control loop that goes beyond merely a better amp – it actively improves the distortion performance of the drive units which contributes significantly to the extreme resolution of the speaker."

 

Don't know exactly what that means 🙂, but one would need an anechoic chamber and associated mic, preamp, ADC that has low enough distortion to be able to measure properly to confirm.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, mitchco said:

Nothing in the REW files as I am talking about the direct sound. I can only attribute the difference to the overall electronic design and perhaps, "unique to the implementation used in the Kii THREE is a combined voltage/current control loop that goes beyond merely a better amp – it actively improves the distortion performance of the drive units which contributes significantly to the extreme resolution of the speaker."

 

Don't know exactly what that means 🙂, but one would need an anechoic chamber and associated mic, preamp, ADC that has low enough distortion to be able to measure properly to confirm.

 

 

Dryer sound - faster decay?

What else could it be? I doubt it is the amp design, because the Hypex modules are not known for this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dryer sound - less distortion is my best guess, given the electronics quote. That's what is fundamentally different compared to the 8c. "According to Putzeys, distortion of loudspeaker drivers can be optimized by varying the amplifier’s output resistance for different frequency ranges. This requires an amplifier that is specifically tuned to the parameters of the loudspeaker driver. An amplifier like this can never be a commercial good-for-all piece of equipment. They have to be tailor made, and this is what was done for the Kii Three." From Audioxpress's excellent review

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mitchco said:

Dryer sound - less distortion is my best guess, given the electronics quote. That's what is fundamentally different compared to the 8c. "According to Putzeys, distortion of loudspeaker drivers can be optimized by varying the amplifier’s output resistance for different frequency ranges. This requires an amplifier that is specifically tuned to the parameters of the loudspeaker driver. An amplifier like this can never be a commercial good-for-all piece of equipment. They have to be tailor made, and this is what was done for the Kii Three." From Audioxpress's excellent review

 

 

Sounds like a reasonable assumption to me.  It's just a shame that a 'dryer' sound has generally negative connotations. Perhaps its not a negative in this context?

 

Incidentally which did you prefer out of the two, speakers or was it literally the case that once calibrated there was just too little to differentiate them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mitchco said:

Great question! I don't have an answer as I liked both speakers a great deal and could easily live with both. One part of me believes the magic Bruno has achieved as the most neutral speaker out there. i.e. no colour at all - truly neutral. The other part of me is trying to reconcile if I like that sound or not. I think I do. It reminds me of Rythmik subs and their Direct Servo technology. Very understated and dry sounding as their distortion measurements confirm on https://www.data-bass.com versus other subs. but that is what I have in my system today. What can I say 🙂


Thanks a lot! 
And also thanks for your cool tracks you use for testing. If you have a list of them, it would be nice to share them. We have a joint KII Playlist curated by @firedog on Tidal, so we can add some songs to the collection :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Bernstein said:


Thanks a lot! 
And also thanks for your cool tracks you use for testing. If you have a list of them, it would be nice to share them. We have a joint KII Playlist curated by @firedog on Tidal, so we can add some songs to the collection :)

Not curated by me. I can’t take credit.


Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bernstein said:


Thanks a lot! 
And also thanks for your cool tracks you use for testing. If you have a list of them, it would be nice to share them. We have a joint KII Playlist curated by @firedog on Tidal, so we can add some songs to the collection :)

 

A partial list here: https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/nad-viso-hp50-with-roomfeel-headphone-review-r720/#subjective

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sitting here fiddling with my new subs to see if I can reduce the distortion in the bass/lower mid in my room. Seems like it works. It's now at or below the noise level in my room. I apologize for the mess in the picture, it will look better soon enough😁20190822_230300.thumb.jpg.3dd4bfffd387cc952dc861baccc452fc.jpg

 

1239450404_KiiLsub-Distortion.thumb.jpg.86534ca748dce8b5abed934676a46865.jpg

 

504945191_KiiLAudiolensedistortion.thumb.jpg.94a87d4cf8dbc53ec0dc29edfb8bc257.jpg

 

 

How does it sound? Explosive is a good word.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, TheStupidOne said:

I'm sitting here fiddling with my new subs to see if I can reduce the distortion in the bass/lower mid in my room. Seems like it works. It's now at or below the noise level in my room. I apologize for the mess in the picture, it will look better soon enough😁20190822_230300.thumb.jpg.3dd4bfffd387cc952dc861baccc452fc.jpg

 

1239450404_KiiLsub-Distortion.thumb.jpg.86534ca748dce8b5abed934676a46865.jpg

 

504945191_KiiLAudiolensedistortion.thumb.jpg.94a87d4cf8dbc53ec0dc29edfb8bc257.jpg

 

 

How does it sound? Explosive is a good word.

What are the subs? How are they connected/integrated physically with the Kiis?


Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The subs are DIY with 2x 10" Scan-Speak 26W/4558T00 driven by one Hypex Psc 2.400d for each sub.

Minidsp 4x10hd is in charge of integration/EQ and volume control.

 

I bought these unseen and they were a little bit bigger than I expected, so it looked stupid with Kii on top like I planned.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, TheStupidOne said:

The subs are DIY with 2x 10" Scan-Speak 26W/4558T00 driven by one Hypex Psc 2.400d for each sub.

Minidsp 4x10hd is in charge of integration/EQ and volume control.

 

I bought these unseen and they were a little bit bigger than I expected, so it looked stupid with Kii on top like I planned.. 

So with the Mini DSP, how are you doing the physical connections to the Kiis and the Subs?


Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, TheStupidOne said:

Analogue xlr to subs and AES/IBU digital to Kii:)

So, you are running the Kii full range and independent of the subs?

 


Netgear modem > Synology router > Roon Nucleus / HDPlex LPS > Kii Control > Kii Three > w/Supra cables

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, fpalm69 said:

So, you are running the Kii full range and independent of the subs?

 

I'm pretty sure he's using the DRC of the miniDSP to do room correction, which includes acting as a digital crossover to each of the 4 outputs. That would be the reason to have such a unit, AFAIK.

 

Anyway, if was me I'd put the crossover to the subs at about 80hz, which is where the cardoid dispersion of the Kiis breaks down. The DRC can probably help you out below 80hz . I can't imagine it would do much above 80hz with the Kiis in the setup. 


Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>CAPS IV Pipeline Server + Sonore 12V PS>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: (1) CAPS Pipeline>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .(2) CAPS>ifi iDAC SPDIF>Kii Control.

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RB Pi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 8:58 AM, Bernstein said:


Thanks! Tin Pan Alley is one of my favorite!

 Guys, 

 

I am hiking in the beautiful Austrian Alps for the next week and will add Mitcho‘s tracks to our Tidal PL after my return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, baconbrain said:

 Guys, 

 

I am hiking in the beautiful Austrian Alps for the next week and will add Mitcho‘s tracks to our Tidal PL after my return.

 

Enjoy! Tin Pan Alley is already part of the playlist! Do you live in Austria as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...