IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

33 minutes ago, semente said:

Thanks, that's a nice summary.

But I wonder why Dürer was stated as an example, since he never got to see the Pope's Rhinocerus...

I think the point is that this very famous woodcut was based on a written description and was taken to be an accurate or "true" representation, even a model work, even though it was not.

The_Rhinoceros_(NGA_1964.8.697)_enhanced.thumb.png.dcd00a773291e2cd901200866632a193.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dürer's_Rhinoceros

The main text that the presentation draws on is Objectivity by Lorraine Daston and Peter Gallison. The book has had a significant impact on discussions of objectivity since its publication in 2007.

9781890951795.thumb.jpg.ea0bfba37b0a8df51e853d8e63f3dc49.jpg

https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/objectivity

11 hours ago, plissken said:

Oversample a 192kbps mp3 all you like. 

Ummm ... that does help, depending upon everything. I was playing with seeing what upsampling did for a desktop PC just using the internal sound system, and simple external monitors. I even went to the next level, a very 'raw', live AC/DC track at, gasp, 128k. Crap treble, messy, you name it - but wait! Converting to WAV, and then upsampling - my goodness!! The cymbals actually started to vaguely sound like an instrument, rather than annoying scratching noises - how could this be?? Well, I put it down to the fact that the CPU was spared doing the translation to a WAV on the fly, and upsampling just helped the poor mainboard chip do its job better - it still wouldn't have won any awards for sound, but it turned the track from a complete mess, to an effort listenable to ...

10 hours ago, plissken said:

You CAN NOT add information once it is lost in the production process. We have sound REPRODUCTION equipment. What ever it is given is what it has. No matter DSP, Upsampling, EQ, cables, lifters, Hookum sticks. 

You can only have a reproduction chain that does the least amount of damage to the source as it makes it way through our systems. That's why I'm a shortest path first. 

9 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

It's not so simple in the real world. EQ-convolved signal is further corrupted by noise and other signals (e.g., leakage currents, jitter, EMI, feedback loops, etc.) 

For deconvolution to recover the 'original' signal, you need a very precise model of the corrupting signal. In most real-world cases, this is very hard to derive. Because of this, an estimate is commonly used as the deconvolution kernel. An estimate may help with signal recovery in some cases, but it can also destroy or corrupt signal in others.

Sounds like an argument for hi res. :)

Here's what I mean: 

(1) We can't restore what's been lost along the way.

(2) Right now our chain from recording through distribution to playback involves decimation filters and interpolation filters, plus sigma-delta modulation on the recording side and almost always on the playback side.  The interpolation filters and sigma-delta modulation make it easier for the final reconstruction filter to do its job, but see (1).  It's quite possible we're not losing anything audible along the way, but why even mess around with these extra steps?

It's an example, I think, of Paul's principle of simplification.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Further on "recovering" ... this will be possible down the track - the concept of unmixing is actively being researched, and you can buy tools now to do some sort of job: take a mix, and extract the individual sound elements within it. So, you end up with, say a 24 track version, with "all the bits". Fix 'em up, perhaps, and then reconstitute any way you like it. It only requires sufficient, and sophisticated enough algorithms to do this - and it only keep getting better in terms of the raw ability to separate everything.

11 hours ago, Teresa said:

Tascam is the pro-line of Teac. I own a Teac UD-501 DSD USB DAC, Tascam products are too expensive for me, so I go for the less expensive Teac versions. In the past I have owned several Teac reel-to-reel tape decks and I really liked them a lot. So does that count?

Sure. How many times have studio "transparent" Tascam DACs,etc. won Product of Year, Class A, etc etc in audiophile mags?

My entire computer/audio/video system cost less than $4k. My guess would be less than 1% of audiophiles have or could afford a $50k system.

Good for you finding such value. I've had a $7k CD player in my system. It sounded no better than my $1k bluray/UD player, so its gone. I have no issue with someone spending $50k or $500k if it makes them happier. Do you?

AJ you seem to enjoy making fun of audiophiles

That is purely your subjective perception. I may indeed poke a bit of fun at audiophile beliefs. If they weren't so tenuous, how could I? Why is it that they are always playing the card of poor victims, if what they claim has any basis and is not completely specious?

Teresa, was Stereophiles founder making fun of audiophiles here? https://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/1107awsi/index.html

which is behavior I find odd for a speaker manufacturer.

How many tell it like it is ones do you know?

What speakers do you prefer?

What's happening here is that people are talking about different things: in car terms, AJ's saying that that if you can't distinguish the precise brand, rubber composition, and size of the tyres being used on the car you don't have a good sense of what the car is capable of; Teresa says, I drive the car and see how it performs on the roads I like to travel on, what counts is how the package works as a transporting device.

I tend to be on Teresa's side ... :P

Wrong Frank. Teresa says she prefers A over B by "experiencing" it over weeks, which is perfectly fine for determining preference, if you can't hear it via soundwaves...which is what a controlled listening comparison does. Sound.

Vs looks, feelings, touch, etc over weeks of staring-listening-knowing-believing,etc, etc.

My approach is very different to nearly everyone, including Teresa - I'm watching out for the sound being 'wrong' - in the car analogy, the car twitches in a disturbing manner when it goes over a certain bump, or road construction example. I immediately stop the car, and try and determine why the vehicle reacted that way - which could be because the tyres were inappropriate - I don't keep driving in the hope that I don't experience that again.

11 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

a blind test means the subject does not know the identity of the components; it does not mean the subject is blind or listening in darkness

I agree, there is nothing wrong with blind tests where the subject doesn't know what they are listening to. My objection is to the switching back and forth (AB'ing)

Listening in the dark with eyes closed helps one to more accurately hear the music they are listening to.

Totally different things, I'm sorry if you misunderstood what I said.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

51 minutes ago, Teresa said:

I fully trust my ears with honest long-term listening

Along with your eyes, knowledge, biases, etc, etc, etc.

Your statement that folks have no issue picking out what they perceive as better in AB tests is highly incorrect

Except in the real world where many can and do. Harman, MS, Fremer & JA had no issue in an AES amp comparison, etc, etc, etc. The key is real, vs imaginary differences. For very small impairments, a bit more sophisticated than AB is used.

I get it, your condition prevents this, but not everyone else, like you believe.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Enjoy your Infinitys, those are nice speakers that can compete with many modern one (yes, I've heard that model).

Don't take what I say too seriously, I certainly am not offended by your fact averse statements. Its all just audio, enjoy.

26 minutes ago, Teresa said:

I agree, there is nothing wrong with blind tests where the subject doesn't know what they are listening to. My objection is to the switching back and forth (AB'ing)

That's exactly what is done in a blind test. There is no time limit between switching, if you know anything about blind tests. You could take a week or a month. The key is no knowing what each is, etc, etc. Thats what "blind" means.

1 minute ago, AJ Soundfield said:
39 minutes ago, Teresa said:

I fully trust my ears with honest long-term listening

Along with your eyes, knowledge, biases, etc, etc, etc.

With or without my eyes. As I clearly stated "Subjectivists find nothing wrong with blind tests, it’s AB’ing that doesn’t work. Bring over two unmarked black boxes and at the end of two weeks I will tell you if one I liked better or if they sound close to the same."

I don't have to know what component or music sample I am listening to, I just need time to get to know it, several weeks works for me.

Also most of my biases are pre-purchase, looks, ergonomics, good discount. So none of that will filter into what I am auditioning. As I already like everything about it, the sonic quality in my system, in my room, with my music, and my ear/brain system being the only unknown. 

6 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Except in the real world where many can and do. Harman, MS, Fremer & JA had no issue in an AES amp comparison, etc, etc, etc. The key is real, vs imaginary differences. For very small impairments, a bit more sophisticated than AB is used.

50% - 60% correct answers are not good enough for me, show me a credible AB test with 100% correct.

Also the Stereophile amp test was further proof that AB'ing doesn't work "In the July Stereophile magazine, Jason Serinus reports an A/B test of very expensive amplifiers that he conducted with two groups, 10 members each, of his local audiophile club.  Group 1 listened to each selection on amplifier A before amplifier B.  Group 2 reversed the order of the two amplifiers. Both groups strongly preferred whichever amplifier they heard second."

Long-term listening will weed out any false starts such as an imaginary difference, this is why it is so important to not rush to judgement but to get to know the sonic qualities of what you are evaluating.

9 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

I get it, your condition prevents this, but not everyone else, like you believe.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Enjoy your Infinitys, those are nice speakers that can compete with many modern one (yes, I've heard that model).
Don't take what I say too seriously, I certainly am not offended by your fact averse statements. Its all just audio, enjoy.

Most of what I wrote was written before I got dementia, I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums. I also have two other text files called Blogs, and Letters I can search. I copy and paste from these files. So I don't have to use my memory for things that occurred in the past.

In short I believed this strongly 20 years ago, way before I developed dementia.

I likely will keep the Infinity's until I die, if they hold up. I have been to audio shows where I have heard better speakers than mine but they are aways way out of my price range.

Thanks for the last sentence, but I just want to say that most of what is written on audio forums are personal opinions not facts. Enjoy. :)

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa