IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

hopefully you aren't in the subgroup: "I'd be successful if the audiophiles weren't all suckers that can't understand how great my product is"

No, since I don't sell audiophile stage props.

No hyper-active imagination and susceptibility needed to hear very real differences in the soundfield, easily measured and not mindless voodoo-science, to quote JGH ;)

4 minutes ago, wgscott said:

What Karl Popper used to describe a tendency in the social sciences to slavishly emulate what they (wrongly) perceived as being the aims and methods of the physical sciences.

Feynman used the term Cargo Cult Sciences.

definitely an accurate use of the word and accusation , although I would not use it as a blanket statement about the social sciences as some do.

I was thinking more of the assumption that the scientific method trumps other ways of knowing and that the rational mind mirrors  the world and both operate in ways that would allow us to fully account for reality through scientific method. So it slips into being a metaphysics, which then isn't really natural science any more.

1 minute ago, christopher3393 said:

I was thinking more of the assumption that the scientific method trumps other ways of knowing and that the rational mind mirrors  the world and both operate in ways that would allow us to fully account for reality through scientific method. So it slips into being a metaphysics, which then isn't really natural science any more.

Sure, one can get all philosophical about why "I heard it, I said so" trumps all science.

Wait, did I say trump?

14 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

I'm no engineer

Me neither, but I play one on TV.

As I've said, whether audiophiles believe in them or not is irrelevant. The scientific standard for audio tests is blind/controlled...if one is seeking valid results free of biases and numerous other factors that affect them.

If one simply wants to know if a widget affects you and/or whether you prefer it, no science or test is needed at all

1 hour ago, AJ Soundfield said:

Right, which have zero scientific basis.

That's why these threads exist and is the true dichotomy. Those who reject science for their views

Huh? I said I posted my views (referring to the "A/B" thread - and you state that my views have zero scientific basis??? To summarize I said that it's easy for various biases to creep into testing and that real science is hard and probably not appropriate here. Folks want to listen to good music. Real science is real work. 

You take that as a rejection of science?

Look here's my bias: if my wife determines where the speakers are placed my life is far more pleasurable ;) I don't need @wgscott to help me out there. It's not that I'm rejecting Bill -- I think that RNA enzymes are one of the coolest things out there ;) probably up there with the idea that gravity waves affect phase noise ;);) But Bill has very little way to help me out on the weekend ;) jus' sayin

keep it real

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

30 minutes ago, Jud said:

How very odd then that you should choose for your illustrations a blind test not controlled for loudness and two examples of sighted bias.

Why would that be odd in the context posted...unless you missed the context??

Orchestras should regress to audiophile style sighted auditions?

And I would suppose one of the first things you’d want to make sure of in any blind test you set up is that loudness was equalized.

So by your reckoning, the remarkable change in orchestra diversity is due to women playing louder than men?

6 hours ago, firedog said:

I'm doubtful about the efficacy of blind listening tests in practice. Personally I find that I listen differently in "test" situations. There is a fair amount of psychological stress involved also. So I don't think what I hear in that scenario is the same as what I hear when listening for enjoyment, even critically. 

I assume one way around this would be to conduct the tests with lots of subjects and under different testing conditions. You'd sort of assume that  any issues of the kind I'm referring to would cease to have much of an influence then. 

But that isn't a likely scenario. And even less so in a home environment.

Perfect for an audio club in a big city - Bosstown Audio Society anyone?

6 hours ago, Jud said:

I wonder if the perception of stress comes from trying to do the impossible, employ echoic memory over spans of time longer than just several seconds.  

No one needs to do that.  The mind is perfectly capable of extracting important features from any sensory input and recalling them much later.

The perception of stress is most likely the result of knowing one is being tested.

2 hours ago, wgscott said:

What Karl Popper used to describe a tendency in the social sciences to slavishly emulate what they (wrongly) perceived as being the aims and methods of the physical sciences.

Feynman used the term Cargo Cult Sciences.

Biologists have called it "Physics Envy" to analogize with Penis Envy.

Then a segment of those biologists found out that all the psychos and anthros they had tried to drill evolutionary thinking into, had adopted (some of) it and had created fields like "Evolutionary Psychology" making the biologists aghast at the proliferation of untested and untestable BS.

Science is a tool that can be applied to a wide range of phenomena, and sometimes you are using a wrench when a screwdriver is what's needed.  Because the evaluation & improvement of SQ to an observer requires knowledge in analog & digital electronics, acoustics, biology and psychology, it is going to be a very difficult task to understand.

2 hours ago, wgscott said:

Way back when I took my  undergrad philosophy of science class, I recall that my eyes glazed over when Popper criticized logical positivism. and then Quine proved everyone wrong. thankfully penicillin helped with the sore throat i caught from my classmate ;) those were the days :) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.