IGNORED

Sonore ultraRendu v1.3

On 7/20/2017 at 8:41 PM, soupdujour said:

Hi all,

My ultraRendu arrived this afternoon.  Without the benefit of any burn-in (i.e., right out of the box) and after just a few bars of The Bill Evans Trio playing "Isn't it Romantic" from the DSD-256 version of "At Shelly's Manne-Hole" I knew that my previous audio rig, which I thought already to be at the apex of my own listening experience, climbed to new stratospheric heights.  But first some context.  Prior to adding the ultraRendu to the setup, my configuration included the following in the line-up: Brooklyn DAC (powered by an UpTone JS-2), an ISO REGEN (also powered by the JS-2) feeding into the DAC with a USPCB A>B, a microRendu 1.3 (powered by an UpTone LPS-1), AudioQuest Vodka ethernet for NAS and MacMini connections.  With my McIntosh amplifier driving my BW CM600 speakers in that configuration I could easily find myself listening for hours, feeling immersed by the open and natural sound reproduction of nearly all, but especially jazz, recordings in my library.

Then today I swapped out the mR 1.3 for the new ultraRendu.  WOW!  The soundstage not only widened, but the placement of the instruments on it seemed even more natural with the added depth the uR brings.  There's just so much added realism to the sounds of the instruments: the brushwork is textured and detailed, the cymbals naturally decay, and the movement of air with each note of the double bass is palpable.  And, as I said, this is without any burn-in period.  Some folks here commented just how much of an improvement the mR 1.4 is over its predecessor.  I can't compare the uR to mR 1.4, but if you're contemplating the leap from 1.3 to the uR, I can safely say you won't be disappointed.  I cannot wait to hear the incremental improvements after hours of streaming.

Happy listening!

Great to hear your early impressions of the ultraRendu.  Have you had an opportunity yet to try it without the ISO Regen.  Many of us are wondering if the ultraRendu makes the IR redundant.  Cheers

Zenith SE > USPCB (5v off) > tX-USBultra 9V (SR4) > Sablon Reserva Elite USB > M Scaler > WAVE Stream bnc > DAVE > Prion4/Lazuli Reference > Utopia/LCD-4/HE1000se

1 hour ago, soares said:

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that I received my 1.4 mR update.

Immediately I could see an overall improvement on everything. What strike me more was the sound stage and the space between the instruments and voices. Tone seems to be a little better also.

I reserve my final views to other future occasion, but so far, I must say its a success. 

Congratulations Jesus!    

Opps, it should be moved to the mR section... sorry!

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

10 minutes ago, soares said:

Opps, it should be moved to the mR section... sorry!

Or the MicroRendu 1.4 section that does not exist I think ?

Nice review. It could have been the UltraRendu I guess.  ?

People more or less reporters equal is my understanding either it is the MicroRendu 1.4 or the UltraRendu. 

I think one should have in mind that the differences between these two may depend on the rest of your system. 

Or is that a a wrong anticipation ? Why ?

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, Confused said:

My apologies if this has been posted before and I have missed it, but can anyone advise what the required current draw of the ultraRendu is versus the microRendu?  I know that the LPS-1 is somewhere near the limit in my microRendu / Mutec MC3+USB set up, due in part to the current requirements of the Mutec's USB, so I was wondering if the ultraRendu might need more power, pushing he combo over the LPS-1's limit?  

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:41 AM, vortecjr said:

We did not change the power specification. However, I have asked John for additional information.

Did you get any further clarification regarding this question.  My apologies if I have missed it!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

36 minutes ago, Confused said:

Did you get any further clarification regarding this question.  My apologies if I have missed it!

Because of the change from switching to linear regs the ultraRendu will draw more current than the microRendu. Exactly how much I do not know. Someone that has both is going to have to do that measurement.

And to complicate things, it is going to depend on the input voltage.

John S.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Or the MicroRendu 1.4 section that does not exist I think ?

Nice review. It could have been the UltraRendu I guess.  ?

People more or less reporters equal is my understanding either it is the MicroRendu 1.4 or the UltraRendu. 

I think one should have in mind that the differences between these two may depend on the rest of your system. 

Or is that a a wrong anticipation ? Why ?

From what I've seen here and in other fora, the Ultrarendu should be another animal. The mR 1.4 has minor hardware changes comparing to the Ultrarendu. In any given system I guess the Ultrarendu should provide better results. In any case I am feeding it with an Sbooster (in my system quite better than the LPS1) + sonic transporter i5  powered by  dedicated power supply also from SGC + RuR and upstream TP link 200 feed by LPS1  + Chord 2qute feed by sbooster plus ultra. Downstream  TP link by Ifi power supply. USB cables are AQ diamond and curious link. Ethernet cables are a mix of AQ vodka and carbon. AMP is a old TAC 88 (KT88) with Siltech RCA's cables. Speakers are  Proac Tablette signature or  Proac Studio 125 with accoustic revive cables.  Roon as software and some times also running HQ player in a Macbook.  I also use a Sony XA9000ES for SACD's.

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

I have yet to see feedback from a user who has listened to both an ultraRendu and a 1.4 microRendu hardware update.  

All I've seen is a lot of speculation (other than from @barrows who works for Sonore).  If there is an actual comparative review, I'd love to read it.

I expect people from both camps to be happy with their purchase.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Because of the change from switching to linear regs the ultraRendu will draw more current than the microRendu. Exactly how much I do not know. Someone that has both is going to have to do that measurement.

And to complicate things, it is going to depend on the input voltage.

John S.

Thanks, that's good to know, and if anyone could test this I for one would appreciate it!  As for this being voltage dependant, I would be interested specifically in 7V per the LPS-1, which is likely to be one of the more common combinations, so of interest to a few others as well I suspect.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

3 hours ago, Donivey said:

I will be replacing the urendu with the ultra, and wondered if is just plug and play?  Or, do I have to go to sonicorbiter.com and do some setup first?  Thanks,

Don Ivey

I had to go to sonicorbiter.com to set up my ultraRendu . When I got my microRendu 1.4 update back it was ready to go without setting it up again. 

4 hours ago, Confused said:

Thanks, that's good to know, and if anyone could test this I for one would appreciate it!  As for this being voltage dependant, I would be interested specifically in 7V per the LPS-1, which is likely to be one of the more common combinations, so of interest to a few others as well I suspect.

The ultraRendu loves being powered by the UpTone UltraCap LPS-1!  They are made to go together.  John already told me that the increased current draw of the ultraRendu over the microRendu is likely in the tens of milliamps.

So I am confident that an ultraRendu--even when being asked to provide full 5VBUS to a downstream DAC/headphone amp (e.g. an iFi iDSD that draws 460mA--nearly the max. 500mA allowed by USB spec.)--will be happily powered by the 1.1A LPS-1.  :)

11 hours ago, Superdad said:

The ultraRendu loves being powered by the UpTone UltraCap LPS-1!  They are made to go together.  John already told me that the increased current draw of the ultraRendu over the microRendu is likely in the tens of milliamps.

So I am confident that an ultraRendu--even when being asked to provide full 5VBUS to a downstream DAC/headphone amp (e.g. an iFi iDSD that draws 460mA--nearly the max. 500mA allowed by USB spec.)--will be happily powered by the 1.1A LPS-1.  :)

I have a funny feeling of deja vu here!   That is with respect to similar posts a year ago regarding powering the microRendu  and various USB devices with LPS-1.  In my case the Mutec MC3+USB, which does indeed work just fine with an LPS-1 powered microRendu.  I recall Mutec advising the USB draw of the MC3+USB is about 350mA.  So yes, it looks like this one would be fine.

8 minutes ago, Confused said:

I have a funny feeling of deja vu here!   That is with respect to similar posts a year ago regarding powering the microRendu  and various USB devices with LPS-1.  In my case the Mutec MC3+USB, which does indeed work just fine with an LPS-1 powered microRendu.  I recall Mutec advising the USB draw of the MC3+USB is about 350mA.  So yes, it looks like this one would be fine.

I don't recall a single complaint from a micro/ultraRendu owner not being able to power their USB audio device when paired with an LPS-1 power supply. Same for all the power supplies we recommend.  

16 hours ago, daverich4 said:

I haven't had it back long enough to compare. Still trying to get a handle on the ultraRendu. 

Ahh, that's too bad.  I hope you get a chance soon.  Seemed like there would be several user reviews on this question over the weekend, but none materialized that I've seen.  Many of us are on the fence regarding Ultra vs 1.4!  Maybe I should just bite the bullet and upgrade to 1.4 - I have a friend who will likely loan me his new Ultra in the next week or two, so I could do the comparison myself if I upgrade.  Probably not much reason to keep a 1.3 version around - people are likely to want a 1.4 on the used market anyway if I do end up going with an Ultra and trying to sell the Micro.

2 hours ago, genjamon said:

Maybe I should just bite the bullet and upgrade to 1.4

If one has an original microRendu, I think one would upgrade as a matter of course.  Jesus and his cohorts haven't yet released an upgrade, er, "update" which wasn't a step in the right direction, and the v1.4 upgrade cost is moderate.  Enjoy it, and if you decide to sell it on I expect the market will prefer v1.4 units.  (My microRendu package arrived in Florida this Monday, and I await with interest news of upgraded units winging their way back to me.)

If there's sufficient cash in the kitty, immediately order an UltraRendu.

These are separate truths which may or may not be interrelated.

22 minutes ago, unbalanced output said:

Quickie: need a short Ethernet cable for the Ultra. Does it matter whether it's Cat 5e, 6, 6a or 7? 

Don't buy short. 

If you want to be on the safe side, don't go below a meter or 3,5 feet. Don't ask me to explain why, but this was the advice given to me from Norway dealer of Belden, when I wanted to build my "Vodka killer" ?

Also you may like to test out the JSSG option!

If you must go short, fast, and cheap, of cause Blue Jeans has always been a good option. 

Since you're using the ultra, I suppose you use USPCB as well, the you may consider a 90 degree option. 

4 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Don't ask me to explain why, but this was the advice given to me from Norway dealer of Belden, when I wanted to build my "Vodka killer"

I have to ask why???? LOL!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

47 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Don't buy short. 

If you want to be on the safe side, don't go below a meter or 3,5 feet. Don't ask me to explain why, but this was the advice given to me from Norway dealer of Belden, when I wanted to build my "Vodka killer" ?

When shopping for speaker cables for my Naim amp, I always read - "just buy 3,5 meters of NAC A5". I actually spent a lot of time trying to find shorter cables with similar impedance / capacitance characteristics. I just couldn't find anything better than "at least 3,5 meters of NAC A5". One better have a very good reason to make me buy cables any longer than I absolutely need 9_9