IGNORED

ISO REGEN launch thread! (product web page up; photos, etc.)

7 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi Alex @Superdad @JohnSwenson

Has John heard the absolutely final production build too?  Or has he left the final approval to your expert ears !

Only asking because of his movements with looking for a home etc and wondering if he's had a chance to hear the final thing. Perhaps it was difficult for him (logistically) to hear the final thing, so thought I'd ask.

Only asking out of general interest and as a John S fan, no other reason.

Cheers, Sean

No, I have not been able to listen to the final production board. I have no separate DACs with me at this point. The only thing I have is a SqueezeBox Touch which has an integrated DAC and headphone amp. (oh yeah the LPS-1 to power the SBT). There is no way I can listen to the board at this point, all I can do is plug a USB stick in and see that it does in fact work as a hub and transfer data.

When we moved I had to really streamline things and take the minimum amount of stuff, basically what would fit in the car. It will be July before I can actually hear this.

John S.

1 hour ago, Energy said:

@Superdad

Alex. Like with what John says regarding losing galvanic isolation if the MicroRendu and ISO Regen shares the same LPS-1 power supply, does the same go for if the ISO Regen and Singxer SU-1 shares one?

I know the ground from the ISO Regen will make contact with the SU-1's USB Input, however after XMOS, the signal goes through digital isolation chips and pulls new power from the internal power supply. If this power supply is also run from the LPS-1, doesn't both sides of the boards become linked due to shared ground?

Also, the ISO Regen takes 6-8V whereas the SU-1 takes 5V. Using a split power cable, how can I properly power both units with one LPS-1? Do I need to use a voltage drop resistor for one device when the LPS-1 is set to 7V?

And finally, Is the 90 degree rotated USPCB your most recommended configuration for use with the Singxer SU-1? I tried looking at it multiple times and doubt that horizontal placement of the ISO Regen behind the SU-1 can be made.

Cheers,

Timothy

Yes if you do manage to power the ISO REGEN and the SU-1 from the same LPS-1 you will be bypassing the isolation in the SU-1, but you still have the isolation in the ISO REGEN.

Alex has previously responded to the question about voltages and the SU-1, make sure to find that post for the details.

John S.

54 minutes ago, Energy said:

Now to my understanding, the ISO REGEN already regulates clean power from the Linear Tech. LT3042 voltage regulators to feed the Singer SU-1's USB Input (XMOS). With the isolation barrier working due to the use of separate PSU's, wouldn't it be best to use the LPS-1 to power the Singxer SU-1?

For someone intends to use a converter like the Singxer SU-1 after the ISO REGEN, wouldn't the improvements of the LPS-1 feeding the ISO REGEN be less significant than if it was used on the SU-1?

Cheers,

Tim

WOW fantastic understanding of the situation, it really nice to know that people are starting to "get" this stuff.

All three block leakage loops from the computer to the DAC. #3 still has a leakage loop from the SU-1 PS to the DAC, so I would not recommend it. Both #1 and #2 have no leakage loops. So it comes down to #1 or #2. My gut feeling is that #1 might be slightly better, but it is close so either one could be the best. Really it is going to come down to trying them in real systems.

John S.

For all the people wanting to use an ISO REGEN with a SU-1 and an LPS-1, I just talked to Alex about this. He has done it, the recipe is:

Set the LPS-1 to 5V, use a Y-cable to power both at 5V. (see the DIY DC Cable thread on how to make your own) The VBUS output regulator will be undervolted so it won't actually be regulating (but the regulator in the LPS-1 is the same as in the ISO REGEN). The measured voltage is 4.95 V on the VBUS coming out of the ISO REGEN, this is fine to drive the upstream side of the SU-1.

This will preclude the isolation in the SU-1, but the isolation in the ISO REGEN will still be working.

If it were me I would get the external power kit from the manufacturer and cut off the internal cable, leaving pigtails on the both connectors. Then use a piece of 4S6 starquad to replace the cable you just cut off.

John S.

7 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi Alex @Superdad (or John @JohnSwenson)

I asked about eye pattern measurements of the ISO REGEN vs original USB REGEN. Completely understand if you're not yet ready to publish measurements but it would be nice.

But in the meantime you've mentioned that the ISO REGEN has much better USB signal integrity than the USB REGEN (and everything else).

How about output jitter performance? Is ISO REGEN's output jitter performance better than USB REGEN? You did mention jitter issues during the design phase associated with this new jittery isolator chip I recall.

If USB signal integrity is better and output jitter is lower and output noise is lower (maybe related to jitter) than the original USB REGEN and leakage currents are blocked (like an Intona) then this is the holy grail.

Appreciate if you can share some technical stuff on the above, not really in comparison to any other products (I was naughty for mentioning Intona there) but specifically against the original USB REGEN.

Cheers, Sean.

This one is tough. In order to try and measure this sort of thing I bought some older (then) top of the line test equipment from ebay, I can get great eye patterns with this, it is good for looking at the waveforms but useless for jitter measurement. The jitter from any of our devices is lower than what these devices can measure. The waveforms from the ISO REGEN look REALLY good. Unfortunately getting screen dumps is quite a complex task and very time consuming so I don't do it very often. I don't have any saved eye patterns so I'm not going to be able to post anything for quite some time. None of this equipment has USB interfaces that would make it easy, they work off of GPIB interfaces, or in the case of one of my scopes, a floppy! The scope take FOREVER to write an image file to the floppy, then I have to put it in a USB floppy drive to get it into my lab computer. BUT the image format is very old so none of the current programs will read it, so I have to run a series of conversion programs to get it into something that a modern browser can handle. Its a lot of work.

As for jitter measurements I have been looking for test equipment that can actually measure the jitter on actual USB data streams and have not found any that will get us into the area that our stuff works at - for any price. The ones that exist are designed for standards compliance not characterization at very low jitter levels.  So I'm designing my own. Unfortunately I can't start working on that until the new lab is set up, and then I will have lots of things to work on, so realistically it is most likely going to be a year before I have that device up and running. THEN I can actually measure the USB jitter. Oh yeah, the existing differential probes aren't good enough for this so I will have to build my own as well!

John S.

3 hours ago, SWL3600 said:

I'm not clear what the red switch is for? Vbus? I don't even know what Vbus is....

I will be inserting the new ISO Regen in place of my USB Regen, which is powered by the LPS-1. Will the voltage setting stay the same? How should the 'Red Switch' be set?

Chain will be:

Laptop

Curious Regen-Link 

ISO-REGEN 

USPCB adaptor

IFI Micro-link USB-Spdif converter 

DEQ 2496

Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2 DAC 

Thanks!

The red switch on the ISO REGEN defeats the isolation, it shorts the the upstream and downstream grounds.

The switch on the USPCB turns the 5V (VBUS) off for the downstream device. Both of these are for very unusual circumstances that most people will never encounter so can pretty much be ignored by most people.

One of the purposes of the ISO REGEN is to isolate the grounds between the upstream and downstream ports. (this also includes isolating signal and VBUS) This blocks leakage currents (not enough space here to talk about leakage currents, see the hundreds of posts I've made on the subject) and will be a significant SQ improvement for most people.

BUT we noted in our tests that some systems that have already gone through extensive isolation techniques that the isolation in the ISO REGEN causes the entire audio system to be so isolated from the outside world that static charges build up on the whole system which every now and then discharge through some path (unknown at this point) and when they do the data traveling to the DAC gets interrupted causing a click or pop in the audio.

The switch is there to short the grounds which will get rid of the ticks and pops.

We have found that there is usually another way to fix this problem, which is to make sure that one and only one place in the entire audio system is grounded. This prevents the buildup of static charges and does NOT cause any leakage loops and ground loops. This is the preferred method to get rid of these ticks and pops, the switch is the backup in case there is no way for you to ground some part of the system.

Any device with a three pin power plug is going to automatically be grounding the system (DAC, preamp, poweramp etc) so if you have something like that currently in your system you probably don't have to worry about that.

You can also use the switch diagnose the problem. If you add the ISO REGEN into your chain and start getting ticks and pops, try flipping the switch, if they go away you know you have a system that needs grounding at some point. So then ground something and flip the switch back to the ISO position and the ticks and pops should be gone.

So to recap most people can ignore the switch, it is only need in a small number of systems.

John S.

3 hours ago, rickca said:

John, can you please explain why you decided to have a switch to defeat galvanic isolation?  For which devices are we likely going to need to use it?

Alex already pointed out that this also gives us the ability to evaluate how much GI contributes to the sound quality.

It is not a "device" specific issue, it is a system configuration issue. There is no way to give a hard and fast "this exact configuration" will have an issue. The exact precise mechanisms are not known so there is no way to make precise proclamations about this.

There is a higher probability there might be an issue when people have systems that have already had extensive isolation work done such as devices run off batteries, isolation transformers, optical interfaces etc.

And in the situations where we have found this happening adding a ground to exactly one point in the system has alleviated the situation, so to be accurate there has been no known situation where the switch was actually required, although it does help a LOT in figuring out what is going on so the grounding can be applied.

I am NOT going to name specific devices involved in the situations where we found this happening because it is NOT device specific, a configuration where this happened had the issue with many different pieces of equipment in the same configuration.

The upshot is that in all the isolation going on in a system just make sure you have one and only one point of ground in the system and you should not have the problem.

John S.

4 hours ago, Kafy said:

Hello,

I have a question for John Swenson. 

John, if you have time, can you tell if the JS-2 and MMK for a Mac Mini are still usefull if I add an ISO REGEN and LPS-1 ?

If not, I could remove the MMK from the Mac Mini and use the original power supply to be able to use the JS-2 to power the network switch on which the Mac Mini is connected to. 

Thank's in advance for any help. 

I don't know. The ISO REGEN and LPS-1 will block the leakage loop from either the JS-2 or the original supply, but I'm not sure about the the signal integrity issue. The ISO REGEN seems to be more resistant to SI issues on it input than the USB REGEN, but exactly how much is I really don't know yet.

So my guess is that there might be  some difference in SQ with the two supplies but only you can determine whether it is important to you.

John S.

3 hours ago, SWL3600 said:

Just to be clear......

If I'm replacing my USB-Regen with an ISO-REGEN.....powered by the LPS-1,the voltage setting of 7v will stay the same, correct?

Yes. The only difference power wise between the two is that the ISO REGEN takes about 40mA from the VBUS (on the USB B connector) to power the upstream side of the isolation chip.

All the other issues about voltage and dissipation etc are the same as before.

John S.

21 hours ago, thyname said:

Hmmm... For now I have microRendu and SU-1 (ordered the DC conversion kit already), as well as LPS-1 currently powering the microRendu. Ordered the ISO Regen, but that does not arrive until June (did not get into the first launch batch).

I was hoping I could use existing LPS-1 for both SU-1 and uRendu via Y cable, but it looks like this would not work, as I need to set the LPS-1 at 5v, and uRendu needs at least 6 (range is 6-9). Which means that I may need to buy the second LPS-1 now, or just go back to powering uRendu with its iFi iPower. Or maybe I buy a (cheaper) sBooster. Don't know....

This has been discussed further up thread. It does in fact work. You can set the LPS-1 to 5V and power both the ISO REGEN and SU-1 off a Y-cable.

The only part of the ISO REGEN that needs higher than 5V is the 5V VBUS regulator. If you feed the ISO REGEN 5V this regulator will not be regulating and will drop the 5V a little bit (to 4.95V). Since the output of the LPS-1 is the same regulator as in the ISO REGEN VBUS you are not really loosing much in this scenario.

John S.

16 hours ago, rickca said:

Alex, you said that when you and John evaluated the Crystek CCHD-575, you quickly decided it was well worth using in the ISO REGEN.

Have you experimented with more expensive clocks?  I'm trying to understand whether there's a point of diminishing returns even if you had no cost constraints.   

No, we have not tried better clocks than the 575, the next step up in lower phase noise needs an OCXO. Note that inexpensive OCXOs do NOT have lower phase noise than the 575, you have to go to very expensive OCXOs to better it. And it is not just the cost of the OCXO itself. An OCXO takes a lot of power to run the oven and other circuitry, this will also add cost to the system. With the right OCXO we can probably still use the LPS-1 to power the board, but then you would have a very hard time powering anything else from the same one.

Both Alex and I are very much interested in producing items that are very high performance but still low enough in cost that a fairly large number of people can afford them. This is one of those cases where my gut feeling here is that spending the money on a better clock will give better results in a DAC rather than in an upstream device.

John S.

4 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Hi Alex, not sure if this is a stupid question but is the ISO REGEN output port BC1.2 compliant, for powering something downstream? Or is the output current limited to 0.5A? 

I know you don't want to discuss every product under the sun so you can ignore the following context, but I'm asking about an iFi iDSD Dac (charging the battery in Turbo mode can only be done with B1.2 compliant ports).

Cheers, Sean

The downstream port is setup as a standard port only, the VBUS regulator we are using cannot supply enough current to support a CDP port. If a device initiates the handshake to turn the port into a CDP port it will not get the answering signal from the ISO REGEN port.

The VBUS on the downstream port is actually current limited to 1A, so if a DAC tries to pull say 700mA it will work. It's not official spec, but I would rather give the DACs a little leeway rather than hard limiting to 500mA.

John S.

12 minutes ago, thyname said:

No 5 volts?

If you feed it 5 volts the internal parts will work fine (they run at less than 5V so their regultors will work fine from 5V). But there is a possible problem, the VBUS coming out of the A jack is 5V, thus there is a very high quality 5V regulator feeding the VBUS pin. All linear regulators require a higher voltage in order to work correctly, thus feeding 5V to a 5V regulator means it is cannot work properly. The result is that the regulator does not improve the quality of the input power and actually drops the voltage slightly.

Whether this is important depends on what you are powering the ISO REGEN from and where the VBUS on the downstream port goes. If the ISO REGEN is powered from an LPS-1, the power is already very clean so this issue is not all that big a deal. If it is a lesser power supply, it MAY be an issue. If the DAC you connect to the ISO REGEN uses the VBUS to power its circuitry using 5V may be a significant issue. If the DAC either doesn't use VBUS or just uses it for a handshake, it probably doesn't matter.

So the upshot is: don't use 5V unless you have a really compelling reason to do so. If you do use 5V you may be short changing your system, but that depends on what the DAC is doing and what you are getting the 5V from.

John S.

1 hour ago, scan80269 said:

I can only imagine the amount of email you get for both shipped and unshipped products...:o

Perhaps a FAQ put together with help from the more geeky members would be useful.  There's so much HW out in the field with so much variation it's virtually impossible for anyone to be a know-it-all, except possibly John and yourself...

Earlier today I posted about an idea of getting an LPS-1 to output 5.25V to power both ISO REGEN and SU-1, and was hoping John or you could weigh in, but then I realized tampering with an LPS-1 would void its warranty.  I guess John's answer to those wanting to do this dual powering is good enough.

Changing the voltage on an LPS-1 requires re-writing the firmware in the FPGA, not a trivial task. I think that would be one of the more ambitious reverse engineering tasks. 

John S.

9 hours ago, greenleo said:

The 3k price point was not true.  John mentioned that the price could be similar to that of the current LPS-1 with 12V/1A output.  Probably the discussion was in the Uptone website rather than in here.  I cannot remember the exact content.

However, I can see 12V demands in other applications which is both Video and Audio related and that could bring business to Uptone.

I think the $3k price point was for an Ultracap ATX supply! Going to a 12V 1A version is fairly easy, going to higher current is MUCH harder and costly.

John S.

9 hours ago, greenleo said:

This has been discussed before.  Two LPS-1 in series means two energiers and will the cabling more clumsy.  Let all alone another cable is needed to contact tnbe 2 LPS-1.

You CAN use a single feeder supply for two LPS-1 units, it just has to have enough power to handle two at the same time. There is no way the Meanwell that ships with the LPS-1 can handle two. The Meanwell is a 22watt unit, so you will want a unit the can supply greater than 44watts. (same voltage range, 7.5 to 12V).

John S.

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

@JohnSwenson

What are the benefit (if any) using i2s vs USB ?

(except less DAC's support i2s)

The way i2S into a DAC is frequently done, the clocking comes directly from the source. The I2S interface includes a clock that goes directly into the DAC chip. Thus the goodness of the clock in the DAC is completely irrelevant. The goodness of the clock in the source is all important.

Now if the DAC has a lousy clock and the source of the I2S has a really good clock, feeding I2S into the DAC could very well sound much better. On the other hand if the DAC has a really good clock I2S is not fantastic, it could make things worse.

There are so many things that come into play with this that it is impossible to make any general statements. Every system is going to be different.

John S.