IGNORED

Site Issues, Updates, Changes, and Feedback Thread

@The Computer Audiophile

Chris, 

I'm reporting a problem that has been present for quite some time for me. On iOS devices, using both Safari and Chrome browsers, there is an issue with going to the first unread post in one specific thread: Album of the Evening.

Rather than go to the first unread, the link goes to a point a few posts in the past. I haven't analyzed if this is a specific number, but it only happens on this thread, and only on iOS. How weird is that!

Obviously, this is not a blocking issue, but just weird, and I wonder if others have noticed this.

1 minute ago, austinpop said:

@The Computer Audiophile

Chris, 

I'm reporting a problem that has been present for quite some time for me. On iOS devices, using both Safari and Chrome browsers, there is an issue with going to the first unread post in one specific thread: Album of the Evening.

Rather than go to the first unread, the link goes to a point a few posts in the past. I haven't analyzed if this is a specific number, but it only happens on this thread, and only on iOS. How weird is that!

Obviously, this is not a blocking issue, but just weird, and I wonder if others have noticed this.

I've noticed this as well. 

I thought for sure it was the a theme issue, but you're likely using the Premium theme which is vastly different behind the scenes. 

It bugs me too. I'll see if I can figure it out.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...

I often switch off Javascript, because dumb scripts sometimes hog the machine, achieving nothing - which hasn't been a thing, so far. But with the near current version of Firefox, if I go through the exercise of off, then on, of JS, then AS refuses to load or refresh; the browser just spins its wheels, forever, pretending to be accessing the website. Other sites are fine ...

The solution is exit Firefox, and restart the browser - a livable with annoyance. I don't whether the issue is AS, or Firefox ... something for your information, :).

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

I often switch off Javascript, because dumb scripts sometimes hog the machine, achieving nothing - which hasn't been a thing, so far. But with the near current version of Firefox, if I go through the exercise of off, then on, of JS, then AS refuses to load or refresh; the browser just spins its wheels, forever, pretending to be accessing the website. Other sites are fine ...

The solution is exit Firefox, and restart the browser - a livable with annoyance. I don't whether the issue is AS, or Firefox ... something for your information, :).

Thanks for the info Frank. Will test. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Site seems VERY fast now.  I like it!

In addition to the security update, I made some other adjustments and removed some software that was no longer needed. Fingers crossed it holds up. Sometimes you don't find out that you needed a piece of software until after it's removed :~)

Unfortunately, the issue with the website refusing to reload if I change the Javascript switch off and on is not resolved; meaning, browser has to be restarted. Some more data turned up a couple of days ago - I happened to leave a window spinning on pretending to fetch an AS page, and came back to it about 5 minutes later - voila, the page had loaded! So, there's some crazy loop somewhere; which eventually resolves. Also, but I'm not certain of this - another audio forum appeared to show this issue, just once ... meaning it more likely is a Firefox problem.

• 3 weeks later...

A long standing bug in Firefox also triggered this freeze of the forum working ... in the browser, if you want to save some file that has been linked to, and you decide you want a new folder to put it in - and you do this by right clicking the parent folder in the Save dialogue, and selecting, New, Folder ... this is too much for poor Firefox - and it blows up. Has been this way for quite a few versions - but you forget that you have to remember not to do this, :).  Restarting the browser, things appear OK - but you then decide to post - and that irritating never ending loop emerges, yet again. Which is resolved by closing and restarting Firefox, this time intentionally.

• 3 months later...

On 10/11/2021 at 12:09 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Just another FYI, we will likely transition to using an email address to login to the site rather than a username for logging in. Username will of course be what's shown to the public, but email addresses will be used to login. This way it's much harder for people to guess the credentials of a user, in an attempt to login as someone. 

On 12/10/2021 at 11:39 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Just want to give people another heads-up that logging in via email address rather than username is coming soon. 

OK, the day has finally come :~)

Logging in now requires an email address, not a username. 

If you don't know your password because it's stored in your browser and there are issues when switching to email rather than username, here's the link to reset your password (which, also requires an email address) - https://audiophilestyle.com/lostpassword/

• 4 months later...
On 9/5/2022 at 10:32 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I just upgraded a bunch of stuff behind the scenes. Some of it may be visible via new features, but most of it is invisible (hopefully). 

Please let me know if you run into anything that isn't working as it should be. 

Thanks for your help!

Chris, the only weirdness I saw was that I had to re-select the dark theme. Other than that, all is normal.

No electron left behind.

On 9/5/2022 at 11:32 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys, I just upgraded a bunch of stuff behind the scenes. Some of it may be visible via new features, but most of it is invisible (hopefully). 

Please let me know if you run into anything that isn't working as it should be. 

Thanks for your help!

The column showing the last post in a thread now shows the time (day, hour etc) when that post was posted. I preferred when it showed the mount of time elapsed since the posting if less than one day. I hope that is clear.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

On 9/6/2022 at 10:06 AM, Axiom05 said:

The column showing the last post in a thread now shows the time (day, hour etc) when that post was posted. I preferred when it showed the mount of time elapsed since the posting if less than one day. I hope that is clear.

That's an option I can change. Let's see how it goes and if others have feedback.