IGNORED

Suggestion: ban all cable debates

15 minutes ago, Jud said:

We need to recognize it is not necessarily a way to *know*.  Our eyes and ears may indeed be fooling us, and we simply need to be OK with that.

On the other hand, I have not seen  research that proves the efficacy of double blind testing in the case of audio cables, and I have seen research (and have provided a few citations here on the forums) that makes me think there could be a problem of false negatives.  So unless there's research proving efficacy that someone can point out to me, we should be OK with skepticism on that point.

As long as everyone's OK with due skepticism and doesn't treat his own view as conclusively proven, I think we're OK here.  Pace.

Double blind testing has been very problematic even in the studies of new drugs in medicine.  Even with medicines approved by the FDA.  Is after 4 to 5 years of use by a large amount of people that they get the correct answer!

Roch

2 minutes ago, elcorso said:

The "non believers" are based mostly in what they call science.  I wonder if they tried some of this cables, because all of them could be impossible (or very expensive).  I also wonder if they have all the best testing gear for this purpose (I mean testing equipment, not testing with their listening equipment).

No one argues about whether expensive speakers can sound better.  

What's the difference?

Basic physics doesn't contradict the assertion that two sets of speakers can sound audibly different.

Basic physics does contradict the assertion that two sets of cables with the same resistance, capacitance, conducting properties and that measure the same can sound different.

So only by special pleading (undiscovered or unmeasurable properties that nonetheless are audible to 60 year old men) can the assertion that the cables sound different be considered.  When the advocates of special pleading arguments then add to it by saying that these differences cannot be detected by a double-blind test, I tend to file these claims into the same bin that holds chemtrails and Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories.

"Objectvists"....let's just be brutally, ultra real; that's just a polite term to describe a poor person (typically a have-nothing student living in a tiny prison cell apartment) who wants to participate in the hobby but wants to reject the upper end while satisfying their own egos. They don't WANT to listen to cables, because they aren't concerned about the fact of the matter, just satisfying a mindset. 

I can't afford Magicos, Luxman monoblocks and an MSB Diamond wired up with a Nordost loom. But I don't scoff at them, calling them overpriced jewelry for rich audiophools. One day, one day...

Just now, wgscott said:

So really it is just a question of snobbery.  

That explains the pre-occupation with displaying cables on little elevator stands.

Cable elevation isn't about presentation, but about vibration control.

Why won't you just listen to some cables? It won't cost you anything but some time and maybe a small amount for return shipping. Lots of guys with experience here can help you narrow down your search for more cost-effective boutique options while avoiding the junk.

23 minutes ago, GUTB said:

"Objectvists"....let's just be brutally, ultra real; that's just a polite term to describe a poor person (typically a have-nothing student living in a tiny prison cell apartment) who wants to participate in the hobby but wants to reject the upper end while satisfying their own egos. They don't WANT to listen to cables, because they aren't concerned about the fact of the matter, just satisfying a mindset. 

I can't afford Magicos, Luxman monoblocks and an MSB Diamond wired up with a Nordost loom. But I don't scoff at them, calling them overpriced jewelry for rich audiophools. One day, one day...

Ah, the old trusty, "objectivists are envious peasants" trope.  Cable believers always go there eventually.

50 minutes ago, wgscott said:

There could be a problem with interpretation of negative results.  A negative result in that kind of double-blind test proves absolutely nothing, whereas a single positive statistically-valid and repeatable positive result would convince pretty much everyone that the cable skeptics are wrong.

A negative result just brings you back to the null hypothesis.

Publius

What if the test always tells you you're not pregnant?  (OK, not you personally....)  Is the problem then with interpretation of the negative results, or with the validity of the test?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 minute ago, wgscott said:

No, I am reasonably content with the $15 stock ones that came with my low-brow, impoverished lumpenproletariat Di2 ultegra group.

A "Lumpenproletariat" bike sounds like a great brand to me, but where's there a tube long enough for the name?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, wgscott said:

The thing about pregnancy is that it is objectively real, and can be measured using a simple ELISA pregnancy test.  We don't have to rely on a double-blind test, because everyone is in agreement that (a) pregnancy as a condition exists, and (b) it can be measured.

A double-blind test has nothing to measure except a contradiction of the null hypothesis (that cables with no measurable differences will sound identical).

Your jedi lawyer tricks no good here.

If we've already decided cable differences aren't objectively real (contra measurement fanatic audio engineer Bruno Putzeys) then "Test hardly needed is," as a short green wrinkly Jedi lawyer might say.

6 minutes ago, wgscott said:

The thing about pregnancy is that it is objectively real, and can be measured using a simple ELISA pregnancy test.  We don't have to rely on a double-blind test, because everyone is in agreement that (a) pregnancy as a condition exists, and (b) it can be measured.

Moreover, 9 months later you can validate any earlier test result with certainty.

8 minutes ago, mansr said:

Moreover, 9 months later you can validate any earlier test result with certainty.

Or invalidate.  So far I've found quite a dearth of research into false negative rates for testing in the audio realm, though there has been interesting research on this for certain types of testing with which DBT in audio shares protocols.

18 minutes ago, wgscott said:

A double-blind test has nothing to measure except a contradiction of the null hypothesis (that cables with no measurable differences will sound identical).

Your jedi lawyer tricks no good here.

"A 64-year-old woman has given birth to twins at a hospital in Spain becoming one of the world’s oldest new mothers."

She didn't get the ELISA pregnancy test because doctors said it was impossible she was pregnant...!

A science faillure?  Posible imposibles?  Could different audio cables with the "same measurements" (but some very small differences) sound different?  Who knows!

Maybe you could discover this when you "discover" conspiracy theories :)

Roch 

11 minutes ago, elcorso said:

Maybe you could discover this when you "discover" conspiracy theories :)

Roch 

Kind of pertinent, as I'm at a legal meeting/seminar in DC listening to members of the current administration.

16 minutes ago, elcorso said:

"A 64-year-old woman has given birth to twins at a hospital in Spain becoming one of the world’s oldest new mothers."

She didn't get the ELISA pregnancy test because doctors said it was impossible she was pregnant...!

A science faillure?  

This is a really good example of the hazards of expectation bias, to which everyone is susceptible.  That is why they should have done the objective test.