IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

T+A has not yet updated networkaudiod in their built-in NAA. This is totally normal, they may eventually update it. They are already aware of the new v5.

So there is currently no benefit for me in using NAA 5.0 as the t+a uses 4.1.1? 

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, only the NAA that you use matters. If you are using the T+A built-in NAA (connecting over network), then that is the one being used.

Thank you. Is T+A in a position to provide NAA 5.0 by way of a firmware upgrade? 

16 hours ago, bogi said:

General for PCM input. Regardless on digital transport method, once the PCM data enter DAC chip, the processing is the same.

Oh wow. I thought "Default" means 32-Bit and also remember @Miska saying for a T.I. 1792 DAC a setting of 24 Bit would be suggested? I just to PCM from input to output - if this makes a difference?

HQPlayer queries device capabilities and sets the default value accordingly. With delta sigma DACs you don't need to care about DAC bits, since there is no need for any restriction. Of course, you can also set an explicit value according to audio interface and DAC bit depth.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
21 minutes ago, Miska said:

Some chips can take 32-bit, some chips 24-bit. Older delta-sigma chips can handle only 24-bit.

If you have a DDC on your path and your output is S/PDIF or AES/EBU, these are always max 24-bit. So in these cases, set DAC Bits to 24. Or less, if your DAC uses less (there are many old 16, 18 and 20 bit DAC chips). Since these interfaces are unidirectional, it is not possible to detect what the other end supports.

USB interfaces are usually 32-bit for efficiency reasons, because doing 3-byte 24-bit formats on anything resembling a microprocessor is hugely inefficient. Drivers are usually also the same for same reason, because DMA transfers need to be at least 32-bit aligned.

If your output is on Linux, for example to Holo Audio, then even though the XMOS interface is 32-bit, HQPlayer can detect that the DAC supports at most 24-bit. On Windows with ASIO for example it cannot. But many DACs that have a 24-bit chip interface still use XMOS and don't report the correct resolution on Linux. So with these it is best to check what HQPlayer says it outputs.

PCM1792 is 24-bit part, and so is DSD1793 used by iFi. While the PCM1795 is 32-bit part.

So, for a T+A DAC 200 USB connected, the right setting for "DAC bits" is 0=default ?

Hello ,

@Miska

Want to share my intentions and kindly ask All if you could throw your similar experience or possible suggestions , THANK YOU in advance !

Expecting my AppleMini M2 / 16 Gb / 8 cores / 10 GPU cores ,  to arrive any day now to replace my beloved old Mini -late 2012- .

Nowadays , I use the old one as the HQPD remote for my audio server, which consists in the following  :

SERVER :

- HDPLEX H5 Fanless Case

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO XIII Z590

- Intel i7-10700K

- TAIKO DC-ATX ( 24pin ATX to MoBo & 2 x 8pin to CPU )

- Apacer 2666 Industrial ( 8GB )

- Optane 58GB ( HQPOs -- ROON )

- Startech NIC PCIE card with Audio Note Cap replacing original

- JCAT XE USB PCIE ( POWERED BY SOLA 5V )

These are my -so far- choices of change . other choices are very Welcome

Adding a STREAMER ( +- 1500 - 2000 * ) selling TAIKO DC-ATX & JCAT XE USB PCIE

Adding a STREAMER ( +- 1500 - 2000 * ) selling JCAT XE USB PCIE

Replacing the actual server with MacMini M2 

Thanks to All !

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

27 minutes ago, mikicasellas said:

These are my -so far- choices of change . other choices are very Welcome

Adding a STREAMER ( +- 1500 - 2000 * ) selling TAIKO DC-ATX & JCAT XE USB PCIE

Adding a STREAMER ( +- 1500 - 2000 * ) selling JCAT XE USB PCIE

Replacing the actual server with MacMini M2 

Your current server is fairly powerful. So first question is what is your goal in terms of HQPlayer output formats and algorithms? Because that has a big impact on how much power you need.

Mac Mini with Apple silicon can do DSD256 output just fine with number of settings. Your current server can probably to DSD512 with quite many settings.

I don't have any experience with the Denafrips streamers, so I cannot comment much about those. But Holo Red works well.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 minute ago, hifi25nl said:

I see that package name has changed. I guess that the "intel" package is using avx2?

Why "intel"?

The one that was "avx2" previously, now doesn't have any extra strings with the build number. It is the one that is most typically used on both Intel and AMD CPUs.

The one that previously didn't have any extra strings is now called "intel". The "intel" one works from SSE4.2 upwards, but the performance is not great on newer AMD CPUs. It has support for AVX-2 and AVX-512 as well, but AVX-512 doesn't always improve performance due to clock rate limiting in CPU.

Can I get a hand on updating hqplayerd to 5.5.1-14?

I am on raspi-lite bookworm. I am logged in as pi.

These are the commands I thought I could use:

systemctl stop hqplayerd.service
sudo dpkg -r hqplayerd
wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/bookworm/hqplayerd_5.5.1-14_arm64.deb
sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_5.5.1-14_arm64.deb

When I get to the dpkg -i I get an error message:

"adduser: Warning: The home dir /var/lib/hqplayer/home you specified already exists.

The system user `hqplayer' already exists. Exiting.

usermod: no changes"

Can you tell me next steps?

Qobuz - HQPlayer(d) 5 - M1 Mini - RPI 5 8gb - Nuc i7 - Signature Silver DC - Keces P3 PS - Lush USB - Holo Spring Dac - SRC-DX - Chord Mojo2 - Bottlehead Crack Upgraded w/ GEC or Tung-Sol 6as7/vt231 - Triode Wire Labs AC - HD-650 - GR Research V2 - Dennis Murphy Pioneer BS22 - B&W 602 S2 - Apple Music Spatial 7.1.4

11 minutes ago, jkelly said:

sudo dpkg -r hqplayerd
wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/bookworm/hqplayerd_5.5.1-14_arm64.deb

"adduser: Warning: The home dir /var/lib/hqplayer/home you specified already exists.

Perhaps you can simply purge hqplayerd and reinstall?

sudo apt —purge remove hqplayerd 

45 minutes ago, jkelly said:

sudo dpkg -r hqplayerd

I always get that message when I update.

Go to the web UI under “about “ tab and see if you are on the latest version.  You should probably systemctl restart hqplayerd first, since you stopped it.

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

15 hours ago, Miska said:

Your current server is fairly powerful. So first question is what is your goal in terms of HQPlayer output formats and algorithms? Because that has a big impact on how much power you need.

Hi Miska, thank you !

I guess because my Audio Server is passive cooled it only goes until DSD256 with limited filters and cause I don't have a way to measure temperature , so for now im using PCM....Do you think i10-10700k will be powerful than the MM M2 ?

15 hours ago, Miska said:

Your current server can probably to DSD512 with quite many settings.

No can do

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

2 hours ago, Miska said:

The one that was "avx2" previously, now doesn't have any extra strings with the build number. It is the one that is most typically used on both Intel and AMD CPUs.

The one that previously didn't have any extra strings is now called "intel". The "intel" one works from SSE4.2 upwards, but the performance is not great on newer AMD CPUs. It has support for AVX-2 and AVX-512 as well, but AVX-512 doesn't always improve performance due to clock rate limiting in CPU.

I see no such distinction for HQPlayer Desktop. I hope AVX512 will continue to be supported on Desktop platform.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
8 hours ago, jkelly said:

sudo dpkg -r hqplayerd

You are fine at that point, just restart the service with "sudo systemctl restart hqplayerd" and you are done.