IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

9 minutes ago, bogi said:

@TheMark

Why don't you use HQPlayer OS? No installation needed ... see the above post from @StreamFidelity.

I tried, I downloaded both the SSE and the AVX versions, put both on separate thumb drives and neither will boot... I was downloading the latest image from here Index of /bins/hqplayerd/images/ (signalyst.eu)  . (I used Balena Etcher to put the image on the thumb drives)

(When I put an Ubuntu thumb drive in it works just fine, so I know it's not BIOS boot order issues. ). For these reasons I switched to the install method described by Rovo. 

image.png.b63c53ab7b881fb133425e8d50786616.png

8 minutes ago, TheMark said:

I tried, I downloaded both the SSE and the AVX versions, put both on separate thumb drives and neither will boot... I was downloading the latest image from here Index of /bins/hqplayerd/images/ (signalyst.eu)  . (I used Balena Etcher to put the image on the thumb drives)

(When I put an Ubuntu thumb drive in it works just fine, so I know it's not BIOS boot order issues. ). For these reasons I switched to the install method described by Rovo. 

image.png.b63c53ab7b881fb133425e8d50786616.png

I faced the exact same issue. Never been able to boot HQPlayer OS on the NUC that is now running Ubuntu server.

45 minutes ago, TheMark said:

Yes, thank you. I found that post shortly after posting my original question. I'm stuck on one step though. When I run "sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_5.5.0-13_amd64.deb" I get the following errors which I haven't found a resolution for:

image.png.4d963908df22f98e18225b3e2ff8608c.png

You need those packages installed.  Since you already have Ubuntu installed and assuming you don’t want to give up on this method:

Go to below link and wget/dpkg -i all of the .deb files.  I am not sure if they are all needed but it doesn’t hurt anything -and you will also have the custom kernels.

Then reinstall HQPe as you already tried.

https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/jammy/

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

48 minutes ago, TheMark said:

Yes, thank you. I found that post shortly after posting my original question. I'm stuck on one step though. When I run "sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_5.5.0-13_amd64.deb" I get the following errors which I haven't found a resolution for:

image.png.4d963908df22f98e18225b3e2ff8608c.png

Try « sudo apt install -f »

Okay, I will try "wget/dpkg -i all of the .deb files"

Also, I did try "sudo apt install -f " and it errored out stating missing dependencies. 

I just finished reinstalling Ubuntu for the 9th time today LOL, so I'm back to a clean state with updates and low latency kernel. 

Also, I installed the yellow one, but what's the purpose of the pink ones? image.png.b9c61c7b248caa0fd746f9a2f6ccd0f7.png

40 minutes ago, TheMark said:

Did you extract the .img file from the 7-Zip archive first? What happens when you try to boot up from that media? You may need to disable secure boot and also make sure you are choosing UEFI boot method if the BIOS offers also legacy boot.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Okay, I will try "wget/dpkg -i all of the .deb files"

Also, I did try "sudo apt install -f " and it errored out stating missing dependencies. 

I just finished reinstalling Ubuntu for the 9th time today LOL, so I'm back to a clean state with updates and low latency kernel. 

Are you on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS? Not the short term release? "apt install -f" should successfully pull in all dependencies after you have installed those packages with "dpkg -i".

Also, I installed the yellow one, but what's the purpose of the pink ones? image.png.b9c61c7b248caa0fd746f9a2f6ccd0f7.png

It is my custom kernel. If you want that one (not mandatory), take both the headers and the image package. headers package is needed for DKMS, such as Nvidia drivers.

1 minute ago, Miska said:

Did you extract the .img file from the 7-Zip archive first? What happens when you try to boot up from that media? You may need to disable secure boot and also make sure you are choosing UEFI boot method if the BIOS offers also legacy boot.

Yes, I extracted first and then wrote to USB. I did disable secure boot and UEFI was chosen.

I'm so far down the rabbit hole with installing now that if I could just get past the dependency errors, I think I'd be in business. 

2 minutes ago, Miska said:

Are you on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS? Not the short term release? "apt install -f" should successfully pull in all dependencies after you have installed those packages with "dpkg -i".

Yes, LTS

image.png.66752cd7bdc5035ef01b0a9b15ee6a7b.png

It is my custom kernel. If you want that one (not mandatory), take both the headers and the image package. headers package is needed for DKMS, such as Nvidia drivers.

Got it, thanks for this explanation. I'm already using the low latency kernel as described in the post by Rovo. 

Just curious at which stage it fails and how?

If I attempt to let the PC automatically boot from USB it just ignores it altogether and attempts boot from internal NVMe. If I select F12 <per the BIOS display> and then manually select the USB drive... it still ignores it and attempts NVMe boot. I even removed the internal disk to be extra sure. the BIOS was reset to factory defaults and only changes were made to disable secure boot, UEFI was enabled by default. The machine is a Dell Optiplex 3070 micro which I had laying around to learn with. 

5 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

@Miska I like the new website, but I have one question. The version of desktop to download for a modern CPU is the "intel x64" version correct? Not the Generic avx2 version?

I have swapped what is called "generic". The AVX2 version is for both recent Intel and AMD CPUs. The Intel version is for Intel CPUs with at least SSE4.2 instruction set support up to AVX-512. This is because the AVX2 one is most commonly used one.

If you have an Intel CPU, you can try both. But on AMD CPU you should always choose the AVX2 one.

3 minutes ago, TheMark said:

If I attempt to let the PC automatically boot from USB it just ignores it altogether and attempts boot from internal NVMe. If I select F12 <per the BIOS display> and then manually select the USB drive... it still ignores it and attempts NVMe boot. I even removed the internal disk to be extra sure. the BIOS was reset to factory defaults and only changes were made to disable secure boot, UEFI was enabled by default. The machine is a Dell Optiplex 3070 micro which I had laying around to learn with. 

balenaEtcher sometimes has issues with partitions on preformatted drives. If you are on Windows, you could try writing the image with Rufus instead, it is more reliable one.

9 minutes ago, Miska said:

I have swapped what is called "generic". The AVX2 version is for both recent Intel and AMD CPUs. The Intel version is for Intel CPUs with at least SSE4.2 instruction set support up to AVX-512. This is because the AVX2 one is most commonly used one.

If you have an Intel CPU, you can try both. But on AMD CPU you should always choose the AVX2 one.

Thank you.

No electron left behind.

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

balenaEtcher sometimes has issues with partitions on preformatted drives. If you are on Windows, you could try writing the image with Rufus instead, it is more reliable one.

Absolutely will give it a try with Rufus. 

Can you help me understand where I'm to get the dependencies which are erroring out in the above screenshot? Now that I'm so close to having it installed, I'd like to at least learn how to finish it :-) 

If I'm doing this correctly, after installing Ubuntu and updating it the next steps are. 

sudo wget https://www.sonarnerd.net/src/jammy/libgmpris_2.2.1-10_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i libgmpris_2.2.1-10_amd64.deb

sudo wget https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/hqplayerd/jammy/hqplayerd_5.5.0-13avx2_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_5.5.0-13avx2_amd64.deb

sudo apt install -f

Dear all and @Miska

My ubuntu server is running with hqplayer with roon and hqplayer. I just installed NAA 5.0 and I am wondering why NAA 4.1.1 still appears in the log file: Is this a normal behaviour or did I mess something in the configuration? 

024/04/03 07:51:11  discovered network audio: name='hqplayer' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 5.0.0'  @yy:43210
& 2024/04/03 07:51:11  discovered network audio: name='hqplayer' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 5.0.0'  @yy:43210
& 2024/04/03 07:51:11  discovered network audio: name='TA-NetworkAudio-1a-d7' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 4.1.1'  @xx:43210
& 2024/04/03 07:51:11  discovered network audio: name='TA-NetworkAudio-1a-d7' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 4.1.1'  @xx:43210

@Miska and all,

one more thing: 

In the log file, various HDMI outputs appear despite I have disabled the integrated Intel GPU in the Bios. I have, unsuccessfully, tried to blacklist HDMI outputs. So you have any ideas how to disable those outputs in ALSA? (Ubuntu Server, hqplayer AVX2, (GNU/Linux 6.6.16-jl+ x86_64)). 

Aplay says: 

remote@hqplayer:~$ aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA NVidia: HDMI 0 (hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA NVidia: HDMI 1 (hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA NVidia: HDMI 2 (hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA NVidia: HDMI 3 (hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 0 (hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 1 (hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 2 (hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=8)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 3 (hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=9)
3 hours ago, Sunny_Player said:

My ubuntu server is running with hqplayer with roon and hqplayer. I just installed NAA 5.0 and I am wondering why NAA 4.1.1 still appears in the log file: Is this a normal behaviour or did I mess something in the configuration? 

024/04/03 07:51:11  discovered network audio: name='hqplayer' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 5.0.0'  @yy:43210
& 2024/04/03 07:51:11  discovered network audio: name='hqplayer' version='Signalyst Network Audio Daemon 5.0.0'  @yy:43210

The other one appears to be a T+A unit, the NAA 5.0 is running out of device called "hqplayer".

3 hours ago, Sunny_Player said:

@Miska and all,

one more thing: 

In the log file, various HDMI outputs appear despite I have disabled the integrated Intel GPU in the Bios. I have, unsuccessfully, tried to blacklist HDMI outputs. So you have any ideas how to disable those outputs in ALSA? (Ubuntu Server, hqplayer AVX2, (GNU/Linux 6.6.16-jl+ x86_64)). 

Aplay says: 

remote@hqplayer:~$ aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA NVidia: HDMI 0 (hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA NVidia: HDMI 1 (hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=7)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA NVidia: HDMI 2 (hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=8)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA NVidia: HDMI 3 (hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=9)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 0 (hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=3)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 1 (hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=7)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 2 (hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=8)
  2024/04/03 07:51:13  network endpoint: HDA Intel PCH: HDMI 3 (hw:CARD=PCH,DEV=9)

Four HDMI outputs from Nvidia graphics card and four HDMI outputs from Intel motherboard chipset (PCH).

1 minute ago, Sunny_Player said:

Yes, do you know how to disable these outputs? 

I don't think you can if you have the driver loaded. If you don't have the driver loaded, then CUDA offload also stops working. But I don't see a reason to worry about these.

1 minute ago, Sunny_Player said:

Yes, that's right. Why is the NAA version different?

T+A has not yet updated networkaudiod in their built-in NAA. This is totally normal, they may eventually update it. They are already aware of the new v5.