IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

1 hour ago, Gato said:

How to set Filter 1x and FilterNx independently of each other?

It allows to change filter on the fly (during playback). So it sets it depending on the actual playback rate.

If playback is not running it is unclear for me how it works - maybe based on the latest input content played.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
2 hours ago, Gato said:

With HQPlayer Control :

• --set-filter   sets Filter 1x as well as FilterNx.

How to set Filter 1x and FilterNx independently of each other?

The API can take two values, but the command line utility currently takes only one and sets both filters to the same.

I'll add support for two values to the next release...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

During the weekend I was playing around with filters. I noticed that some filters, such as poly-sinc-gauss-short for instance, do not work with my DAC (Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, ESS chip).

Looking at the help file, I see that poly-sinc-gauss-short shows "Ratio Integer" while poly-sinc-gauss-long, which is working, shows "Ratio Any". Can someone explains what Ratio means and what are the implications?

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, walloon said:

During the weekend I was playing around with filters. I noticed that some filters, such as poly-sinc-gauss-short for instance, do not work with my DAC (Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, ESS chip).

Looking at the help file, I see that poly-sinc-gauss-short shows "Ratio Integer" while poly-sinc-gauss-long, which is working, shows "Ratio Any". Can someone explains what Ratio means and what are the implications?

Thanks.

“Ratio integer” means that the filter doesn’t work if you upsample from a “family rate” to another, for example: from 44.1 to 96 or multiples, 96 or multiples are not integer multiples of 44.1.

The same applies with DSD: if the file is 44.1 (or some other “family rate”) then the “Integer” filter won’t work if you upsample to 48xDSDxxx, it will work only upsampling to 44xDSDxxx

“Ratio any” filters don’t have this constraint 

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, Gato said:

So is "DAC bits to 24" for a T+A DAC200 USB connected the right setting?

For delta sigma DACs and PCM input always use the default, since these DACs are oversampling DACs, so they regardless on input rate yet do oversampling up to modulator rate (typically something like 11.3MHz) and then they run that pre-processed input through delta sigma modulator. Just then the signal enters DAC D/A stage itself. So it wouldn't bring sense to restrict input data resolution before that processing.

What Markus8 showed above, is relevant for R2R DACs in NOS mode, since they do no digital processing on input data and their linearity is restricted.

With DAC DSD input the DAC bits settings is meaningless. DSD is a bitstream without anything like defined word length.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

Hello everyone, I apologize for interrupting the thread's flow, but I find HQPlayer Embedded quite daunting, and the documentation appears to be spread out. Could someone kindly direct me to a resource where a beginner like me could learn more? I've attempted to follow this thread, but it's extensive and often beyond my understanding.

Edit: is HQPlayerOS a thing of the past? I don't see it available on the Signalyst website.

2 hours ago, bogi said:

For delta sigma DACs and PCM input always use the default, since these DACs are oversampling DACs, so they regardless on input rate yet do oversampling up to modulator rate (typically something like 11.3MHz) and then they run that pre-processed input through delta sigma modulator.

Is this specific to the T+A DAC200 USB or in general for PCM input?

43 minutes ago, TheMark said:

Hello everyone, I apologize for interrupting the thread's flow, but I find HQPlayer Embedded quite daunting, and the documentation appears to be spread out. Could someone kindly direct me to a resource where a beginner like me could learn more? I've attempted to follow this thread, but it's extensive and often beyond my understanding.

Edit: is HQPlayerOS a thing of the past? I don't see it available on the Signalyst website.

May I ask then why it is that you would want to try Embedded rather than using Desktop?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

43 minutes ago, Jud said:

May I ask then why it is that you would want to try Embedded rather than using Desktop?

Certainly, my objective is to optimize my existing hardware for both Roon (operating Rock on a NUC11) and HQP, which I aim to run on a Dell 3070 i5-9500T, with the convenience of controlling HQP from my listening chair via the iOS app. My computers are placed in a separate room from the audio system to ensure a clean aesthetic and a noise-free environment.

Currently, I intend to upsample only to 24/192 due to my DAC's limitations, which suggests that the Dell should suffice. This setup also provides an opportunity for me to familiarize myself with HQP before considering further hardware investments. I've installed Ubuntu Server 22.04 with a minimal setup and have incorporated the low latency kernel. However, I encounter challenges with the HQP installation, as instructions appear to be scattered and opinions on the "correct" method vary.

Edit: I just found this brilliant post from Rovo which I'm attempting now

1 hour ago, TheMark said:

13 minutes ago, TheMark said:

I've installed Ubuntu Server 22.04 with a minimal setup and have incorporated the low latency kernel.

These are two different things. I recommend you try the HQPlayer OS. The OS contains Embedded and NAA and requires no further installation. 

Go to Downloads – Signalyst and then to HQPlayer Embedded Download & installation instructions. Your goal ist "Downloading and configuring bootable image". Good luck 👍

1 hour ago, TheMark said:

Currently, I intend to upsample only to 24/192 due to my DAC's limitations, which suggests that the Dell should suffice. This setup also provides an opportunity for me to familiarize myself with HQP before considering further hardware investments. I've installed Ubuntu Server 22.04 with a minimal setup and have incorporated the low latency kernel. However, I encounter challenges with the HQP installation, as instructions appear to be scattered and opinions on the "correct" method vary.

Try here - pretty complete IMO.  You can leave CUDA out for now if you don’t need it.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/63747-how-to-install-hqplayer-embedded-on-ubuntu/?do=findComment&comment=1240284

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

2 hours ago, Markus8 said:

Is this specific to the T+A DAC200 USB or in general for PCM input?

General for PCM input. Regardless on digital transport method, once the PCM data enter DAC chip, the processing is the same.

24 minutes ago, cpcat said:

Try here - pretty complete IMO.  You can leave CUDA out for now if you don’t need it.

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/63747-how-to-install-hqplayer-embedded-on-ubuntu/?do=findComment&comment=1240284

Yes, thank you. I found that post shortly after posting my original question. I'm stuck on one step though. When I run "sudo dpkg -i hqplayerd_5.5.0-13_amd64.deb" I get the following errors which I haven't found a resolution for:

image.png.4d963908df22f98e18225b3e2ff8608c.png

@TheMark

Why don't you use HQPlayer OS? No installation needed ... see the above post from @StreamFidelity.