IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

3 hours ago, Outlaw said:

With the latest Jammy intel build is there any benefits for a older CPU like my 8086K or is it more intended for newer Cpu.Thanks.

You could try. Both versions work on 8086K. Likely there is minimal practical difference. The Intel build is there more to cover also older models and older Atom ones that didn't have AVX2 support yet, it works already with just SSE4.2.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

I guess because my Audio Server is passive cooled it only goes until DSD256 with limited filters and cause I don't have a way to measure temperature , so for now im using PCM....Do you think i10-10700k will be powerful than the MM M2 ?

It should be more powerful than the basic M1/M2/M3. I have 10900K and it has no trouble doing DSD512. Cooled by Noctua NH-D15S cooler.

If you are running HQPlayer OS, you could try @Gato's "ttv" to check temperatures and such. Or if you are running Ubuntu Server or similar, install "sensors" package, and then run "sudo sensors-detect". Once done, you can then run just "sensors" to show some temperature data.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

It should be more powerful than the basic M1/M2/M3. I have 10900K and it has no trouble doing DSD512. Cooled by Noctua NH-D15S cooler.

Could the Noctua make the difference ?, what about vibration, isn't that something that can potentially affect sound quality ?

3 hours ago, Miska said:

If you are running HQPlayer OS, you could try @Gato's "ttv" to check temperatures and such. Or if you are running Ubuntu Server or similar, install "sensors" package, and then run "sudo sensors-detect". Once done, you can then run just "sensors" to show some temperature data.

Im launching HQPlayer from a USB stick, where should I  : INSTALL / ADD  those programs, I also have an Optane M.2 empty, Should I instal HQPos with the mentioned programs there ?

Thanks !

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

3 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Could the Noctua make the difference ?, what about vibration, isn't that something that can potentially affect sound quality ?

Im launching HQPlayer from a USB stick, where should I  : INSTALL / ADD  those programs, I also have an Optane M.2 empty, Should I instal HQPos with the mentioned programs there ?

Thanks !

About "Trivial Temperature Web Viewer v5.5":

• The installation process is as follows::
    • On the HQPlayer OS machine:
      • Copy "ttv.tar.gz"
      • Execute the following commands:
        • tar -xvf ttv.tar.gz
        • cd ttv
        • ./install    ( this also automatically proceeds to an uninstallation beforehand )
  • It can be found at: 
9 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Vibration is not an issue for digital data... Only for tubes and electrolytic capacitors in analog audio.

And if you are worried, you can use a NAA. Then HQPlayer computer is only data processor and the actual playback happens from the NAA.

9 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

You could dump HQPlayer OS on the Optane, but I doubt it would make much difference apart from slightly faster boot time. Because all the relevant data is loaded to the RAM at boot time and stays there.

USB stick is much easier to update when there are software updates and you can rotate two USB sticks on updates...

@Sunny_Player  In Matrix pipeline dialog If nothing is defined in a row (no Process and no Gain) then nothing is running.
For 2 channels set Process column only in the first two rows (for channels numbered 1,2) and leave rest lines intact.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
4 hours ago, Sunny_Player said:

@Miska one stupid question: why do one need 128 dsp pipeline when one only listens to stereo? Or do I misinterpret for what DSP pipeline are required for? 

There are people doing multi-way loudspeaker cross-over filters for Dolby Atmos content in HQPlayer.

Let's say you are listening to 5.1 channel SACD rip with stereo mix-down in HQPlayer. For that you will need 6 DSP pipelines.

Earlier default was (and the current "Default" is) 128 pipelines in total with support up to 48 channel DSD sources. Pretty normal for a studio making multi-track DSD recording. On ARM64 this was 16 pipelines and 6 DSD pipelines to support RPi4/RPi5 platforms with notably less RAM.

Now you can save a bit of RAM by defining less DSP pipelines in the configuration. CPU load always depends on the number of pipelines actually used for a particular track.

16 hours ago, Gato said:

About "Trivial Temperature Web Viewer v5.5":

• The installation process is as follows::
    • On the HQPlayer OS machine:
      • Copy "ttv.tar.gz"
      • Execute the following commands:
        • tar -xvf ttv.tar.gz
        • cd ttv
        • ./install    ( this also automatically proceeds to an uninstallation beforehand )
  • It can be found at: 

Hola Gato,

Should I write those commands into the CONSOLE on HQP OS ( USB stick ) ?

Thank you !

Miguel

ER + PH DR7T - TAIKO Server + PH DR7T ( HQPOs + ROON ) JCAT XE USB - Lampizator Baltic 4 - D-Athena preamp - K- EX-M7 amp - PMC Twenty5 26

10 hours ago, Miska said:

Vibration is not an issue for digital data... Only for tubes and electrolytic capacitors in analog audio.

👌

And if you are worried, you can use a NAA. Then HQPlayer computer is only data processor and the actual playback happens from the NAA.

🤝

You could dump HQPlayer OS on the Optane, but I doubt it would make much difference apart from slightly faster boot time. Because all the relevant data is loaded to the RAM at boot time and stays there.

USB stick is much easier to update when there are software updates and you can rotate two USB sticks on updates...

Is there a direct way to put my music files on the OPTANE from the HQP OS ( USB stick ) ?

Thanks !

Miguel

2 hours ago, mikicasellas said:

Is there a direct way to put my music files on the OPTANE from the HQP OS ( USB stick ) ?

HQPlayer OS is primarily about playing things, not much into managing storage or such.

But you could work around this by creating user id and uploading content through sftp or scp to the Optane.

However, if you want to do things more flexible way, for example installing OS on Optane, or storing content there. Then alternative is to install minimal Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS on the machine and HQPlayer Embedded there. That will allow you to copy content over SMB or similar protocol, and have the OS installed on Optane drive or similar.

HQPlayer OS is intended to be minimal OS for music playback. It is not intended to do same as a full Linux server distribution.

Another alternative is store and share content from a NAS or some other SMB filesystem share (sharing a folder on Windows) and manage content that way.

Typical way to bring local content to a HQPlayer OS machine is to use exFAT (or ext4) formatted USB HDD/SSD. Copy the content there and then plug it in to the HQPlayer OS machine.

I'm personally using mostly SMB network mount though.

18 hours ago, Miska said:

Now you can save a bit of RAM by defining less DSP pipelines in the configuration. CPU load always depends on the number of pipelines actually used for a particular track.

A couple of minor non-functional tweaks if I may:

1. whatever the number is, can you only show that actual number of configured pipeline records in the Matrix configuration tab of HQ OS - it really clogs up the UI (I see that you are already doing so in the logs - yay)

2. with that in mind, could you also provide for a choice of only 2 pipelines for us standard 2 channel users??

16 minutes ago, camott said:

1. whatever the number is, can you only show that actual number of configured pipeline records in the Matrix configuration tab of HQ OS - it really clogs up the UI (I see that you are already doing so in the logs - yay)

Ahh yes, it is supposed to. Just like in Desktop. If it shows more, then it's a bug, I'll take a look!

16 minutes ago, camott said:

2. with that in mind, could you also provide for a choice of only 2 pipelines for us standard 2 channel users??

There's not much benefit in going down to 2 from 8. Now the pipelines are in chunks of 8. And as mentioned, 2 channel users may still regularly need more than two pipelines. Like the default multichannel mix-down setup, Thierry's HAF filters, etc.

38 minutes ago, Miska said:

2 channel users may still regularly need more than two pipelines.

@camott some examples for 2ch users where more pipelines are needed

5.1 to stereo https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/19715-hq-player/?do=findComment&comment=585860

stereo to binaural and 5.1 to binaural for headphone users: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/61330-stereo-to-binaural-for-headphones-how-to-setup-hqplayer-jriver-foobar2000/

Simply use only the first two lines (channels 1 and 2) for your simple 2ch setup and leave rest with Gain 0 and no Process.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
22 minutes ago, bogi said:

Simply use only the first two lines (channels 1 and 2) for your simple 2ch setup and leave rest with Gain 0 and no Process.

Yes I already do that. Just like my UI as clean as possible. All good. 

22 hours ago, Miska said:

Ok, great, thank you. So this means, for PCM --> DSD Stereo and Acourate, 8 Pipelines are more than sufficient? 

3 hours ago, Sunny_Player said:

Ok, great, thank you. So this means, for PCM --> DSD Stereo and Acourate, 8 Pipelines are more than sufficient? 

If you don't use matrix, number of pipelines you need is maximum number of channels at either source or output side. If you use matrix, you know how many pipelines you need. 8 covers the most typical use cases up to 7.1 channel source / output unless there are some additional parallel paths (like for HAF you will need 4 pipelines for stereo).

Please note that only pipelines that carry actual audio are actually being executed. So if for any particular source/output combination you need uses less, then only those that are actually useful are used. The set number is only upper limit of what is available for use.

Hi @Miska,

Understood the modulator AMSDM7EC 512+fs has been developed for quite sometimes, how good is it comparing to the much later like ASDM7EC-light / ASDM7EC-ul?

On my system, for DSD1024, the AMSDM7EC 512+fs only needs max core clock of 4.2GHz while ASDM7EC-ul needs 4.7GHz and the ASDM7EC-light needs at least 4.8GHz to be able to run without dropouts.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all

On 4/5/2024 at 5:40 PM, Miska said:

HQPlayer OS is primarily about playing things, not much into managing storage or such.

But you could work around this by creating user id and uploading content through sftp or scp to the Optane.

However, if you want to do things more flexible way, for example installing OS on Optane, or storing content there. Then alternative is to install minimal Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS on the machine and HQPlayer Embedded there. That will allow you to copy content over SMB or similar protocol, and have the OS installed on Optane drive or similar.

HQPlayer OS is intended to be minimal OS for music playback. It is not intended to do same as a full Linux server distribution.

Another alternative is store and share content from a NAS or some other SMB filesystem share (sharing a folder on Windows) and manage content that way.

I will try Thank you !

On 4/5/2024 at 10:01 PM, Gato said:

Yes

Thank You !

8 hours ago, chipvn said:

Hi @Miska,

Understood the modulator AMSDM7EC 512+fs has been developed for quite sometimes, how good is it comparing to the much later like ASDM7EC-light / ASDM7EC-ul?

On my system, for DSD1024, the AMSDM7EC 512+fs only needs max core clock of 4.2GHz while ASDM7EC-ul needs 4.7GHz and the ASDM7EC-light needs at least 4.8GHz to be able to run without dropouts.

AMSDM is quite different from ASDM. So these are two completely different modulator categories, although the naming difference may not be obvious. AMSDM is similarly very different things as are the newer experimental AHM modulators. These work generally well on discrete DSD DAC implementations, within their constraints, as long as the output rate is high enough.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

AMSDM is quite different from ASDM. So these are two completely different modulator categories, although the naming difference may not be obvious. AMSDM is similarly very different things as are the newer experimental AHM modulators. These work generally well on discrete DSD DAC implementations, within their constraints, as long as the output rate is high enough.

Thank you, Miska.

I do understand AMSDM is quite different than ASDM. I saw some graphs comparing the AMSDM7EC 512+fs vs the ASDM7ECv2 and similar graphs comparing the ASDM7EC-super vs ASDM7EC-super 512+fs before.

However, I have not seen any graph showing how the ASDM7EC-light/ul or the 2 new AHMs work.

The 2 new AHM modulators do not sound good to my preference. They are a bit less details and less dynamic although they just need about 3.9GHz max CPU clock for DSD1024.

With the e-cores filter offloading works so well these days, if there is something like the ASDM7EC-ul "further light" that allows max CPU clock at about 4.4GHz, heat will be much more managed for those using 13xxxK/14xxxK CPU in passive cooling case that want to try DSD1024.

RoonROCK: NUC8i5 Akasa case > HQPlayer OS in HDPlex H3V3 case - i7-14700K > Oratek TOFU Raspberry Pi CM4  - Jussi's NAA OS > Holo Spring 3 L2 DAC with Preamp > DIY EL84PP amp > Snell Type E/III speakers

Ubiquiti EdgerouterX SFP / Sonore Optical Module / Linear Power Supply for all