IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

55 minutes ago, Carousel said:

@cpcat 

When I muddled my way through making a NAS drive mapping survive the rebooting of my Ubuntu server that runs HQP and Plex for me, I had similar items. Though I did not need to get into netplan for this. I did though set up a credentials files, called crednas for this example. I happened to call my mount location nas.

I do not know why any of it works though. Was cobbled together from various advice pages.

For mounting NAS drive:

sudo mkdir /mnt/nas
sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
sudo mount -t cifs -o username=FORTHENASSHARE,password=FORTHENASSHARE //NASIPADDRESS/NASSHAREFOLDER /mnt/nas

To make the credentials file:

sudo nano /etc/crednas

username=FORTHENASSHARE
password=FORTHENASSHARE

CTRL+O, enter, CTRL+X

Then change its access permissions to prevent unwanted access to credentials: 

sudo chmod 600 /etc/crednas  (777 for all access, which I used for Plex)

sudo mkdir /nas

sudo nano /etc/fstab

//NASIPADDRESS/NASSHAREFOLDER /nas cifs credentials=/etc/crednas,users,uid=1000,gid=1000,vers=3.0,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0770,dir_mode=0770    0    0

note: uid = gid = 998 for user plex

CTRL+O, enter, CTRL+X

sudo mount -a

Thanks, @Carousel for typing that out.   These are clearer than my screen pics and very helpful.  Creating the credentials file is I think the more recommended way to do it for cifs.  I was a little lazy, but can go back and add that now that I at least have a solution that works for me- and also now have your instructions. 😀

For some reason, when making a directory, I had to use sudo mkdir -p /mnt or it would not create it.  This is on Ubuntu server 22.04 LTS for others reading.

Also re: persistence after boot.  I am not certain why I needed to edit netplan to delay the boot a little to allow the share to mount at boot .  My searches over the weekend seemed to indicate this (lack of persistence) was a common issue though..  I tried both NFS and cifs and no difference. My OS is on nvme drive, could that make any difference?  Boot too fast?

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

On 3/25/2024 at 4:12 AM, cpcat said:

The problem is that at boot the network connection may not initialize fast enough.

This can happen when using DHCP, because DHCP client is run asynchronously and the DHCP server may take time to respond.

Using fixed/static IP (no DHCP) for the network interface avoids this timing issue. Just remember to use IP outside of your DHCP server's assignable address range!

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

This can happen when using DHCP, because DHCP client is run asynchronously and the DHCP server may take time to respond.

Using fixed/static IP (no DHCP) for the network interface avoids this timing issue. Just remember to use IP outside of your DHCP server's assignable address range!

Thanks @Miska

I assume you mean a true fixed IP.  I use an address reservation on my router already.

I don’t have any issue now after the netplan edit   “optional: false”

for the interface.

Will this edit cause a problem?  It seems to slow my boot down by a few seconds at most, but that is ok with me.

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, Snakeoil OS NAA/NAA image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

2 hours ago, cpcat said:

I assume you mean a true fixed IP.  I use an address reservation on my router already.

Yes, that's what I mean when I talk about fixed IP. Otherwise the IP still depends on asynchronously negotiating IP lease with the DHCP server.

2 hours ago, cpcat said:

I don’t have any issue now after the netplan edit   “optional: false”

for the interface.

Likely that will force netplan to wait for the interface to come up with IP before proceeding. Of course that also means that if the DHCP server is not reachable or working for some reason, the bootup may be stuck there.

2 hours ago, cpcat said:

Will this edit cause a problem?  It seems to slow my boot down by a few seconds at most, but that is ok with me.

That's the only issue in normal cases.

59 minutes ago, Markus8 said:

Using the Devialet amp/DAC which is connected via AES/EBU to the Holo Red I didn't find a recommendation what to set for DAC bits. @Miska do you have an experience what is suggested here?

image.thumb.png.ee87c6923bbeffb837cadc383af67e2d.png

Your 24 bits setting is correct for that case!

49 minutes ago, Miska said:

Your 24 bits setting is correct for that case!

Thanks. I now tried the way of HQPlayer desktop and installed the HQ NAA image on the Holo Red.

So in the HQPlayer Desktop

image.png.7adca09d7702d6e900397f4aca9d620d.png

I select "24" instead of Default?

30 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, depending how you are connecting to your DAC. If you use AES or S/PDIF, then 24-bit yes.

Yes the chain is: QNAP NAS (Roon) & Remote app -> Macbook (HQPlayer) -> Holo Audio Red (NAA) -> (via AES/EBU) Devialet
Ok for you?

And what I realized in the Roon signal-path the upsampling settings are displayed but there is no mentioning of Convolution being applied. Think that should definitely be included.

Just now, Markus8 said:

And what I realized in the Roon signal-path the upsampling settings are displayed but there is no mentioning of Convolution being applied. Think that should definitely be included.

Roon could do all that, and they should also make other fixes. IIRC, they don't update their GUI now if you change settings on the fly. But it's all up to them to do such things. But I think they are busy now doing things Samsung / Harman wants.

21 minutes ago, Miska said:

Roon could do all that, and they should also make other fixes. IIRC, they don't update their GUI now if you change settings on the fly. But it's all up to them to do such things. But I think they are busy now doing things Samsung / Harman wants.

Oh I see! Ya seems they really have to sort things out for a long time as there are other bugs around for too long too.

Just one things as I am getting into HQPlayer Desktop is:

image.thumb.png.e8b11de24160cff7924ea094ed5b867b.png

The first two I think are fine when left as is, but the FFT filter length based on manual - I am not sure. Is this just a setting effected when using the FFT filter (like the Poly or Sinc etc.) or is this a general processing setting applied to all filters?
Unfortunately don't understand the manual text, meaning is it better for sound quality to have a lower or higher value (if the CPU can handle it) ?

And a short question regarding convolution: Also when just upsampling all to PCM 192/24 it would be best sound quality wise to use a 352khz convolution file? (currently using just the 192khz convolution files)

4 hours ago, Markus8 said:

the FFT filter length based on manual - I am not sure. Is this just a setting effected when using the FFT filter (like the Poly or Sinc etc.) or is this a general processing setting applied to all filters?

It is intended for one filter only whose name is exactly 'FFT'.

image.png.2bf8d8c52bdbf619c7f45fe5aac4e899.png

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
16 hours ago, Markus8 said:

Just one things as I am getting into HQPlayer Desktop is:

image.thumb.png.e8b11de24160cff7924ea094ed5b867b.png

The first two I think are fine when left as is

Idle time is useful when you use Roon as source. This is because Roon has habit of stopping and starting HQPlayer playback every time it changes the content, or even when you seek. This makes things sluggish, as it is rather heavy operation to tear down the DSP engine / playback just to start everything up again right after. This idle setting instead lets HQPlayer engine run for defined period after Roon (or other source) has issued a stop command, just in case there will be another play request shortly after. This makes overall behavior much snappier.

For example macOS CoreAudio rate converter / mixer does similar for 10 seconds.

@Miska Thanks for the insights! 
Could you help with this one too:

And a short question regarding convolution: Also when just upsampling all to PCM 192/24 it would be best sound quality wise to use a 352khz convolution file? (currently using just the 192khz convolution files)

11 minutes ago, Markus8 said:

@Miska Thanks for the insights! 
Could you help with this one too:

And a short question regarding convolution: Also when just upsampling all to PCM 192/24 it would be best sound quality wise to use a 352khz convolution file? (currently using just the 192khz convolution files)

192k is also fine is that is your highest rate content and that is your maximum output rate too.

352.8k is good to cover all PCM sources and also all DSD sources, for DSD outputs. Since it can cover 176.4 kHz wide correction bandwidth which should be enough for any microphone and any recording. HQPlayer has the "Expand HF" option in case the filter doesn't cover enough bandwidth, but if you use 352.8k convolution filter, you can do without that (just simpler overall).

@Miska I just did the exercise to install both roon server and hqplayer in one ubuntu minimal server. Everything works perfectly alright and sounds very well to my ears. Of course, roon's performance is brilliant. 

Would you recommend, sound wise, running hqplayer and roon on the same machine or would you recommend using separate machines?

30 minutes ago, Markus8 said:

Is this from Roon? Because I have convolution in HQPlayer Desktop enabled.

That's not from Roon. You need to have the CUDA offload tri-state checkbox fully ticked (not grayed) and the newest nVidia Studio driver installed for your graphic card.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
3 hours ago, bogi said:

That's not from Roon. You need to have the CUDA offload tri-state checkbox fully ticked (not grayed) and the newest nVidia Studio driver installed for your graphic card.

I have a new MacBook Air with M3. There is no NVIDIA Studio driver as far as I know. 

I thought you complain that nVidia CUDA does not work for you! Just ignore my previous post. I'm not from Mac world...

That message you were asking for is related only to nVidia CUDA offload. It just means that your convolution processing is not offloaded to nVidia GPU (since you have none). It does not mean that convolution is not activated or not running.