IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

17 hours ago, bogi said:

With NAA in use I wouldn't care about it.

With DAC directly connected via USB to HQPlayer computer it is not specifically about signal jitter but about noise more in general. Metallic digital cables transfer noise from computer in analog form.

Signal jitter is more important with SPDIF or I2S. With SPDIF DAC clock is derived from incoming data. I2S uses separate external clock signal for the purpose.

USB transfer is asynchronous and buffered in DAC, then reading of data from DAC buffer is controlled by DAC clock. Therefore timing of incoming signal arrival does not influence accuracy how data is transferred from DAC buffer to DAC chip. If USB input affects sound, it is about noise more in general.

That's a big relief, many thanks, have a nice day.

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I’m upgrading HQplayer on my sonicTransport. On website for upgrading I’m offered to load a file with present license information in order to get some discount. How do I produce this file ? I only have access to my fingerprint. 

You should have the xml file you received by mail when you bought your current licence. The key file name should be something like hqplayerd4-key.xml, load this one in order to receive the discount coupon

Stefano

My audio system

1 hour ago, stefano_mbp said:

You should have the xml file you received by mail when you bought your current licence. The key file name should be something like hqplayerd4-key.xml, load this one in order to receive the discount coupon

I bought my license from SMG, so I do not have such a file. Or if I have, I can’t find it. I searched all my emails. 
Maybe @Miska can assist in a solution?

1 hour ago, stefano_mbp said:

… or ask SMG …

That was the first thing I did. Small Green Computer do not sell HWplayer licenses anymore as done before. They told me to contact HQPlayer. My licence is is HW-locked to the sonicTransporter, so it can't bee moved around. I do not know if this is the case with new licenses now.

2 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

That was the first thing I did. Small Green Computer do not sell HWplayer licenses anymore as done before. They told me to contact HQPlayer. My licence is is HW-locked to the sonicTransporter, so it can't bee moved around. I do not know if this is the case with new licenses now.

HQPlayer embedded license is linked to the fingerprint that is specific for each hw/pc.

Ask Jussi (info at signalyst dot com) sending your current fingerprint and eventually the new fingerprint for a new hw/pc

if you have access to the file system you should be able to find the license key in 

/etc/hqplayer/

path

Stefano

My audio system

10 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

HQPlayer embedded license is linked to the fingerprint that is specific for each hw/pc.

Ask Jussi (info at signalyst dot com) sending your current fingerprint and eventually the new fingerprint for a new hw/pc

if you have access to the file system you should be able to find the license key in 

/etc/hqplayer/

path

I have the fingerprint. That's not the problem. The ordering system do not accept fingerprint. That's the problem. Only a file.

In order to access the sonicTransporter file system, I think I need the password. Agree ? I assume you mean I use Putty ? The HQplayer PW is well known.

8 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Well, if anyone has the root (or admin) PW to sonicorbiter please send me a message 😂

@Miska I hope you have a better solution how to use my fingerprint in order to upgrade HQplayer on my sonicTransporter?

Small Green Computer should help you get that file rather than just pawn you off on Jussi who likely also doesnt know how to get into their system and retrieve the key file.

Is that required to purchase HQP 5? It's been a while since I bought and I don't remember if I had to do that or not.

edit: I went and looked at the webshop on Jussi's website and it's not asking for a key file, just the "Hardware fingerprint of the HQPlayer computer" which you say you have?

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Is that required to purchase HQP 5? It's been a while since I bought and I don't remember if I had to do that or not.

My understanding is that in order to get latest HQplayer on sonicTransporter, you would normally have to send the whole unit in. Or maybe this was only related to the 2.9 upgrade.
In a few cases swapping HD yourself is accepted. (I think as long as they feel they won’t get into trouble).

Maybe @vortecjr suggested to remove HQplayer app and then reinstall HQplayer. Not sure if he was replying to me. (Another thread) If anyone has a sonicTranspoter, without an active HQplayer license, they could test this solution. I don’t know if HQplayer 5.5 works on 2.8, or requires 2.9. 
But I’m afraid I will loose my fingerprint, and loose the upgrade discount, if I delete HQplayer from my unit. 

The 2.9 upgrade is $100 plus shipping. (Unit or new SSD, which then cost of SSD is added). I would assume remote access could be an option, but at least I wasn’t offered, nor did I ask. (I wanted a new SSD anyway). 

Still purchasing HQplayer licenses, you have to do yourself. (Before you cold purchase from SMG). And add the license yourself into the preinstalled HQplayer of cause.
And in order to get the discounted upgrade you need a file, not only the fingerprint. I haven’t tried, but maybe it’s as easy as pasting the fingerprint into a text file, and load it up.
I’m hoping @Miska can tell me that either SMG ought to assist me one way or another, (remote assistance), or he can give me a recipe how to extract the required information to be added to his web shop. 
Maybe he can upgrade version 4.35 to pull out the required file. I assume others will at some time have same issues as me. 

IMO this is a case of very poor support from Small Green Computer. Did the machine come with the HQP 4 license? If so, then whether they continue to sell licenses or not, you now own that license and they should assist you in recovering the key file so you can use that for the upgrade discount.

No electron left behind.

7 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

But I’m afraid I will loose my fingerprint, and loose the upgrade discount, if I delete HQplayer from my unit. 

If the fingerprint changes you can ask for a new key for the new fingerprint, this is a free service … but you need to send the original key file so we are back to the starting point.

It seem quite fool the SGC or Sonore can’t give you the key file, after all you bought it and they must give it to you … 

Stefano

My audio system

In any case the upgrade process should be better explained. Both by Jussi as well as SMG and Sonore. 

We do not know if sonicOrbiter 2.8 support HQplayer 5.5.0

We do not know if sonicOrbiter 2.9 supports HQplayer 4.35.2

We do not know what happen to a license when upgrading HQplayer from 4.35.2 from October 18th 2023 to 5.5.0 February 27. 2024 (if upgrading is possible at all).

By upgrading 2.8 to 2.9, there is no description of how you then upgrade your HQplayer, or what’s happening to your old license. The only thing one can be sure of is that you won’t have a working HQplayer, unless SGC preinstall old HQplayer versions, which seems a bit unlikely. And you still won’t have latest version. 

I don’t find the suggestion “Try removing and reinstalling the app. This way you can see what it does.” very helpful, as it’s my problem if I loose my present HQplayer license as well as the discounted upgrade option.

Normally applications in sonicTransporter is automatically updated. Not so with HQplayer. And it’s quite obvious why. You will loose your working HQplayer. 

Since all those that ought to have an answer to this isn’t replying, I assume they haven’t yet a way do a proper upgrade for existing sonicTransporter owners that has a valid HQplayer license.

We will see how things develop next 10 days.

IMG_0512.jpeg

5 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

If the fingerprint changes you can ask for a new key for the new fingerprint, this is a free service … but you need to send the original key file so we are back to the starting point.

It seem quite fool the SGC or Sonore can’t give you the key file, after all you bought it and they must give it to you … 

To be clear, SGC and Sonore are two differernt companies. I'll reach out to him and ask for support...just understand that if the latest HQ Player was updated on SO 2.9 and you dont see it SO 2.8 it may not be supported there.  

I found this in the sonicorbiter.com FAQ section...not sure if this helps.

http://www.sonicorbiter.com/docs/hqplayer_setup

Getting a license for HQPlayer Embedded Server

You can buy a sonicTransporter with HQplayer server installed. If you need to install it on an existing sonicTransporter follow these steps.

Go to sonicorbiter.com from a web browser on your computer or tablet and go to sonicorbiter.com -> Manage (next to the sonicTransporter) -> Settings -> HQPlayer Server -> HQplayer Config

Select about at the bottom of the page and copy the fingerprint. You will need this to purchase a license.

Click here to purchase or go to the signalyst.com web store.

Once you have the license file go to sonicorbiter.com -> Manage (next to the sonicTransporter) -> Settings -> HQPlayer Server -> HQplayer Config and Select key at the bottom of the page and upload your key file.

Hello, I just updated HQPE to Jammy 5.5. I would like to play with ecores and maybe nblocks. But I do not see these terms in the hqplayerd.xml file. Do I simply insert, for example, ecores=filter and nblock=16 into the engine line after multicore? My server is running a 14700K with a 2070 GPU. Any recommendations for the settings to try? Cuda does not show in this screenshot. But it is set on 1.

image.thumb.png.cc298c8d6470eaf5a2c24c8185242008.png

@stefano_mbp Thanks. I inserted ecores=”filter” right after the multicores setting. From the htop view, running sinc-long, it does seem to distribute stereo workload more. Was usually just two cores engaged before. Is still mostly two cores. But not only them. Two cores of the 14700K are hitting 50% and two others are hitting 15%.

Subjectively, seems to run longer before occasional halts. I assume this is from the old 2070 GPU being maxed out occasionally. Nvidia-smi -l is showing 85% GPU utilization. Very little GPU RAM being is being used. As before. Nothing new there.

Note: No new questions. Just thanks and reporting back...