IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

39 minutes ago, camott said:

But this is the buffer time on the NAA device USB output to DAC ... what does that have to do with network flow before the NAA device?

It affects the NAA device hardware device driver buffer.

But nothing about anything before NAA.

39 minutes ago, camott said:

If output is via NAA downstream, then does the short buffer setting affect the NAA application level FIFO?

Yes it does!

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Point is that you always have two things towards hardware. The hardware (DMA) buffer, and the FIFO buffer. It shouldn't matter if the input or output is local, or over the network from/to a NAA.

So whether you use or don't use NAA doesn't affect this buffering aspect. It only affects where your input or output is vs where your HQPlayer processing is.

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you back up playlists in embedded?  Backup and restore?  And when you backup are the playlists backed up with “configuration” or “library”?

And on an iPad the backup goes automatically to a zip file- do I just restore directly from the zip or do I need to unzip first?  I can’t seem to unzip this file on my iPad for whatever reason.

What about the “scope”- system vs user setting?

I looked on the “help” tab but there’s nothing there on this.

The reason I ask is I am having fun making playlists via Client iOS but I seem to be losing playlists when I update HQPe to a new version.

Thanks!

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, NAA 5.0.0 image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Placette Balanced Passive Linestage, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

2 hours ago, hifi25nl said:

Only with last version of HQPlayer embedded setting nblocks to some value different from 0 and hitting Apply in http://localhost:8088/config the value is always reverted to 0

Tested this with different values of multicore

It must be something on your side, HQPe 5.5.0 OS here and that setting is “persistent “

maybe some permissions issue? It seems it cannot modify 

/etc/hqplayer/hqplayerd.xml

IMG_3107.jpeg

Stefano

My audio system

2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

From the 5.5.0 release notes “Extended settings on HQPlayer OS” … then it seems that if you’re running the not OS version that setting isn’t available

Yes, I don't see the extra setting drop downs either in Embedded either. I don't understand why this feature is not available in both versions for the convenience of changing these settings without editing the config file?

The real problem is that also on jammy version hqplayer is aware of nblocks option, since it will automatically set it to 0 at the first configuration change if the value is different.

I hope this will be fixed in the next version.

I agree that the options should be displayed on all hqplayer versions if possible.

I would take the opportunity to add also cuda... :)

AudioLinux --> https://www.audio-linux.com

developer of AudioLinux realtime OS

11 hours ago, cpcat said:

Sorry for the stupid question, but how do you back up playlists in embedded?  Backup and restore?  And when you backup are the playlists backed up with “configuration” or “library”?

Local playlists created with Client are stored as part of library, so if you backup library, then it is included there.

And on an iPad the backup goes automatically to a zip file- do I just restore directly from the zip or do I need to unzip first?

Restore works by uploading the zip back to the HQPlayer.

What about the “scope”- system vs user setting?

Usually your scope is "system", unless you know you are running things manually under your regular user session.

The reason I ask is I am having fun making playlists via Client iOS but I seem to be losing playlists when I update HQPe to a new version.

Which OS are you using? HQPlayer OS? On HQPlayer OS you need to backup/restore library across updates. On regular Linux distributions this is not necessary.

55 minutes ago, hifi25nl said:

The real problem is that also on jammy version hqplayer is aware of nblocks option, since it will automatically set it to 0 at the first configuration change if the value is different.

I hope this will be fixed in the next version.

Yes I will certainly fix that, it is not intended.

I agree that the options should be displayed on all hqplayer versions if possible.

This is set by the hardware manufacturer and shouldn't be modified by the user...

If hardware manufacturer wants to make that available on their system, they can implement it on their interface.

For DIY server builders, it is anyway necessary to do command line work to install and update HQPlayer Embedded on the distribution, so at the same time editing the hqplayerd.xml is easy.

I would take the opportunity to add also cuda... :)

Same applies to this. It is not supported on HQPlayer OS, so it is not necessary to implement the setting there.

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Which OS are you using? HQPlayer OS? On HQPlayer OS you need to backup/restore library across updates. On regular Linux distributions this is not necessary.

HQPe on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server.

Maybe it was a glitch- but I lost playlists when I went from 5.4.1 to 5.5.0.  The playlist names were still there, but all the songs were gone.

I no longer do “clean scan” when I update the library, thinking that this can delete 

playlists as well.  Not sure though.

Where are the backups saved, on the device/web ui location or on the server where HQPe is located?  I don’t have enough space on iPad to back up the whole library.

QNAP NAS w/minimserver, iBuypower  i7 13700kf,  RTXa5000 24g GPU, Ubuntu 22.04 LTS minimal server, HQPe v5 x64 avx2, HQPDcontrol4,  HQPlayer Client iOS, mconnect playerHD, JplayiOS, Daphile on Asus PN-51-s1 (AMD 5700u) in Akasa fanless case, NAA 5.0.0 image on Fitlet2 , Lampizator Big 7 MKII Balanced, Placette Balanced Passive Linestage, Pass XVR1, Pass X5, Pass XA 100.5’s, PSB Stratus Gold(i)’s, Vandersteen 2wq’s.

3 hours ago, cpcat said:

Where are the backups saved, on the device/web ui location or on the server where HQPe is located?  I don’t have enough space on iPad to back up the whole library.

You end up downloading the backup data, be it settings or library. Either case is relatively small file. It is not the music content, only the related metadata, excluding any pictures. You can also download it on your computer.

3 hours ago, cpcat said:

Maybe it was a glitch- but I lost playlists when I went from 5.4.1 to 5.5.0.  The playlist names were still there, but all the songs were gone.

If the name is shown, but when you "Load" it and it ends up empty, it means that the files are not accessible anymore. For example because they are relocated to different filesystem path or similar.

@Miska thank you very much for your support and this brilliant cuda offloading feature. I just set up an Ubuntu server with respective capable GPU and it works perfect with 7ECv3 @dsd 1024. Using your kernel as well. Sinc long stutters, of course. But I do not want to spend 2000 EUR for an nvidia 4090. Is there anything one can do to boost performance even further? Multicore =1, ecores =filter and nblocks =16. 

38 minutes ago, Sunny_Player said:

@Miska thank you very much for your support and this brilliant cuda offloading feature. I just set up an Ubuntu server with respective capable GPU and it works perfect with 7ECv3 @dsd 1024. Using your kernel as well. Sinc long stutters, of course. But I do not want to spend 2000 EUR for an nvidia 4090. Is there anything one can do to boost performance even further? Multicore =1, ecores =filter and nblocks =16. 

Holoe.

Used 3090 is less expenditure and reaches sinc long with 14900k.

Headgear: Audeze LCD-5 w/Accurate Sound Convolution Filter, Norne Drausk v2 Lite/Silver Gladiator Cable and interconnects

Source: Intel 14900K/3090, HQ Player DSD1024 separated from Puritan 156, Audioquest Carbon USB, Holo Audio Red, Holo Audio May KTE

Amp: Holo Audio Bliss KTE

Sold: Drop HD 6XX, Hypex NC400 Dual Monoblocks, Schiit Freya S, Gustard R26, Audeze LCD-i4, Ferrum Oor/Hypsos, DCA Expanse, Gustard U18, B&O Beoplay EX, Gustard X26 Pro, Headamp GS-X Mini, ifi Pro iCan Signature, Fiio M15, Woo Audio WA7 Fireflies (3rd gen.)

On 2/27/2024 at 11:11 PM, Miska said:

1 hour ago, EMINENT said:

Holoe.

Used 3090 is less expenditure and reaches sinc long with 14900k.

yes, that's right. But I do not have sufficent space in my PC as I am running a massive tower cooler and a Solarflare SFP-card in it... and the 4070 is the max size that fits currently. Otherwise I need to switch to water cooling...

16 hours ago, Sunny_Player said:

Does the nblocks setting interact with the ecores setting?  I haven’t experimented with the nblocks setting - but ecores=pool works best for me.  Maybe with nblocks at a higher setting ecores=filter works better?  

Greetings everyone!

This is my first post here.

My question is about fanless computer vs high speed cpu gpu computer.

On the one hand, I highly want to use i9 and 4080 to gain most super output, e.g. 1024 DSD Sinc-L, on the other hand, such computer will require many fans to cool down. And I heard everyone is saying that fans in computer will "distract" the signals, thus a fanless computer is an ultimate choice. However fanless on i9 and 4080 is almost impossible to my understanding (even can, I would not imagine the cost).

So, my question is - does fanless really that important? How is the sound compare "Fanless 256 DSD Sinc-L" with "faned 1024, or 512 DSD Sinc-L"? If there is no big impact on fans, I tend to get myself a good computer with regular fans.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, William.c said:

So, my question is - does fanless really that important?

If you can place your HQPlayer computer at some other place than your listening room, then of course not. In such a case HQPlayer sends processed data to audio endpoint called NAA which is placed in the listening room.

If that's not possible from any reason, it is also possible to build a quiet computer with bigger and slower rotating fans.

Search this thread for suggestions: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37775-best-cpu-for-hqplayer/page/101/#comments

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

I tend to get myself a good computer with regular fans.

I recently built a computer with i7 14700 and the Noctua NH-D12L active cooler and it is totally silent.

Using a i9 14900 cpu Noctua NH-D15 (with or without the optional second fan) should be silent as well

Stefano

My audio system

19 hours ago, bogi said:

If you can place your HQPlayer computer at some other place than your listening room, then of course not. In such a case HQPlayer sends processed data to audio endpoint called NAA which is placed in the listening room.

If that's not possible from any reason, it is also possible to build a quiet computer with bigger and slower rotating fans.

Search this thread for suggestions: https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37775-best-cpu-for-hqplayer/page/101/#comments

18 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

I recently built a computer with i7 14700 and the Noctua NH-D12L active cooler and it is totally silent.

Using a i9 14900 cpu Noctua NH-D15 (with or without the optional second fan) should be silent as well

Thank you @bogi and @stefano_mbp for the reply.

Well, my question is not actually about the real fan noise - I am putting HQ computer in another room and using Rasp Pi NAA. So doesn't matter how loud the fan works.

I don't know how to describe, but the noise I am mentioning is the signal jitter caused by the fan motor, which affect the "digital signal". If this jitter is pointless, then I am confident to give up the fanless option.

I don't know how to describe, but the noise I am mentioning is the signal jitter caused by the fan motor, which affect the "digital signal". If this jitter is pointless, then I am confident to give up the fanless option.

With NAA in use I wouldn't care about it.

With DAC directly connected via USB to HQPlayer computer it is not specifically about signal jitter but about noise more in general. Metallic digital cables transfer noise from computer in analog form.

Signal jitter is more important with SPDIF or I2S. With SPDIF DAC clock is derived from incoming data. I2S uses separate external clock signal for the purpose.

USB transfer is asynchronous and buffered in DAC, then reading of data from DAC buffer is controlled by DAC clock. Therefore timing of incoming signal arrival does not influence accuracy how data is transferred from DAC buffer to DAC chip. If USB input affects sound, it is about noise more in general.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500

I’m upgrading HQplayer on my sonicTransport. On website for upgrading I’m offered to load a file with present license information in order to get some discount. How do I produce this file ? I only have access to my fingerprint.