IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

Windows gave me trouble running NAA. I switched to running @Miska's NAA linux image on the same hardware, just booting with USB stick, and it works perfect. 

Great, I would have been surprised if Windows worked. I have never been able to get 1.536 to work on any of my Sonore NAA endpoints. Jussi says that it is a hardware issue. 

@MiskaI've found posts for a couple years ago but nothing recent regarding phase invert for HQPe interface. Any chance you could add the option to the main page in a future release?

My former DAC had the option and I miss it. I know I can do it in Roon but I'd rather keep it in HQPe.

5 hours ago, lpost said:

@MiskaI've found posts for a couple years ago but nothing recent regarding phase invert for HQPe interface. Any chance you could add the option to the main page in a future release?

My former DAC had the option and I miss it. I know I can do it in Roon but I'd rather keep it in HQPe.

Some things are missing from the web interface. But you can find it for example from HQPlayer Client.

If Roon would want to, they could control it over the current control API like they do for volume now.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the MacOS client. I'm struggling to reset the IP in HQPDControl v4 but have asked over in that thread.

Jussi, do you know if the UP Gateway handles 1.536Mhz at 20 bit?

It's got Intel graphics so I presume made by Intel.

2 hours ago, lpost said:

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the MacOS client. I'm struggling to reset the IP in HQPDControl v4 but have asked over in that thread.

Jussi, do you know if the UP Gateway handles 1.536Mhz at 20 bit?

It's got Intel graphics so I presume made by Intel.

It has Intel Atom CPU (SoC). It certainly works with DSD1024 to T+A HA 200, and thus also 1.5M PCM should work. I'll try to check it over the weekend on Denafrips Ares II I'm now playing with, or with Spring II.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Some things are missing from the web interface. But you can find it for example from HQPlayer Client.

If Roon would want to, they could control it over the current control API like they do for volume now.

That would be an actual useful update as well...

No electron left behind.

It would but the Roon guys have so much to do with their priorities. I can see them placing it very far down the list as an exoteric feature few would know what it does or use it or would use it and say it does nothing so why is it there. No harm in making the Feature Request though (unless the natives go nuts over it). 

5 minutes ago, lpost said:

It would but the Roon guys have so much to do with their priorities. I can see them placing it very far down the list as an exoteric feature few would know what it does or use it or would use it and say it does nothing so why is it there. No harm in making the Feature Request though (unless the natives go nuts over it). 

I would much rather have Roon support auto-discovery of HQPlayer based on name. So that if your HQPlayer server runs on a machine that uses IP from DHCP, it would work even despite the IP keeps changing over time

29 minutes ago, Miska said:

I would much rather have Roon support auto-discovery of HQPlayer based on name. So that if your HQPlayer server runs on a machine that uses IP from DHCP, it would work even despite the IP keeps changing over time

What I meant to say was that I wish they would fully implement and integrate HQP as much as your APIs allow.

No electron left behind.

16 hours ago, Miska said:

It has Intel Atom CPU (SoC). It certainly works with DSD1024 to T+A HA 200, and thus also 1.5M PCM should work. I'll try to check it over the weekend on Denafrips Ares II I'm now playing with, or with Spring II.

Much appreciated, the Spring II would be ideal for me as I have the same USB board with the May. The little machine appears to be an ideal NAA endpoint. Have you used their smps with one? It certainly seems to be a fine place to start.

19 hours ago, lpost said:

Much appreciated, the Spring II would be ideal for me as I have the same USB board with the May. The little machine appears to be an ideal NAA endpoint. Have you used their smps with one? It certainly seems to be a fine place to start.

Tested with Spring II now and yes it works fine.

13 minutes ago, lpost said:

Thanks. I'm a fan of Mattijs work: https://faradpowersupplies.com/

Probably OK too. Just need to have enough current feed capability, otherwise it'll crash during the boot when USB and rest of the hardware gets enabled. Causes a bit of current spike. Sometimes some SMPS also dip at that point. Once it's over the boot it should settle for less.

4 hours ago, lpost said:

@Miska, will HQPe accept USB from RPi4 running Ropieee XL (or other) via USB-A to USB-A cable?

No, you cannot connect two USB host ports (type-A) to each other. Such won't do anything sensible. If you want to do USB input to HQPlayer Embedded, you need to have type-B device port. These are functionally different and have different roles (host vs device).

Type-C physical port can support either or both roles. But note that it strictly depends on the hardware implementation what it supports.

A PCI-e board with USB-B port would be great but it seems they are rare like unicorns. I suppose it's all because of digital rights management or other theft they're trying to prevent. All it does it make it very difficult for the honest person as those with the intent to steal will always find a way.

24 minutes ago, lpost said:

A PCI-e board with USB-B port would be great but it seems they are rare like unicorns. I suppose it's all because of digital rights management or other theft they're trying to prevent. All it does it make it very difficult for the honest person as those with the intent to steal will always find a way.

It is just because there's not much market for such. And for example Windows doesn't support device side functionality.

But there are various embedded boards / SoC's that support such functionality. I think RaspberryPi4 also does through it's Type-C port, but I have not yet tested it.

Since most of those that support are low power devices, I've implemented the functionality to NAA side also, so you can have your regular HQPlayer somewhere else. Adding input side support was one of the big new features of NAA 4.x.

I've got a Pi4, I just tried outputting from it's usb-c to PC running NAA. I went through all the input types in 'input' in HQPe interface but I got no output. I've got it loaded with Ropieee and it may not output via usb-c. 

Any suggestions for other OS builds that might work?

Ideally, I'd like to input on HQPe to take advantage of convolution processing before sending on to NAA.

33 minutes ago, lpost said:

I've got a Pi4, I just tried outputting from it's usb-c to PC running NAA. I went through all the input types in 'input' in HQPe interface but I got no output. I've got it loaded with Ropieee and it may not output via usb-c. 

No, this is wrong way around... And it won't work out of the box anyway. The Type-C would be input not output.

When it works, the Type-C port would look like a USB DAC to a connected computer (or other device). So that computer would play to the Pi4, which would then talk with HQPlayer over the network. Same way as output NAA, but this time for the input side.

HQPlayer always talks to NAAs over network, never over USB.