IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

4 hours ago, michaelvv said:

Hi Jussi.

Did a BIOS upgrade on my debian hqplayer box , for trying another memory module , due to stability issues.

After boot my network was renamed , so i configured it in /etc/network/interfaces ,

but what also was happening , my fingerprint for my license was changed..

Changed back to old memory , still not a valid fingerprint..

I have send your a PM. It this normal behavior after a BIOS update ????

Please when you have time can your send me a valid license file ...

Thanks Michael.

It happened to me to.Jussi had to send me a new license key.

5 hours ago, michaelvv said:

It this normal behavior after a BIOS update ????

It is not normal, but some motherboard manufacturers can make sloppy BIOS releases and unfortunately such things can sometimes happen... It has not happened to me yet on any of my development or test machines though.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

14 hours ago, rossco said:

Thanks @Miska.

On reflection I think my knowledge of firewalls is fairly limited. In the past I have ensured I have a software firewall running when using windows (Kaspersky was the last one) and once that was done I forgot about it. On moving to Linux my lack of knowledge has been a hinderance. Anyway, on investigating, I do believe I have a firewall on my Netgear Orbi router and it is automatic although I am not sure its 'stateful' status. I am also unsure whether its safe to turn off the software firewall on my linux machine, but perhaps its fine for short periods when I want to use HQ Player, given that my network is 'protected' by the firewall in the Orbi.

On the more medium term front, I have on my list of things to do, to invest in a new router running something like OPNsense. Which I think might be more like your set-up Miska. I believe its stateful. I assume I can then switch off the software firewall fairly safely, again, perhaps for short periods.

My ASUS RT AX 88U router has a very good firewall and runs Trend Micro in the background and a lifetime subscription is included in the price.  You can run things on your network with this alone. Hope this helps.

On 3/26/2021 at 4:30 PM, Miska said:

It has Intel Atom CPU (SoC). It certainly works with DSD1024 to T+A HA 200, and thus also 1.5M PCM should work. I'll try to check it over the weekend on Denafrips Ares II I'm now playing with, or with Spring II.

Received today, plug 'n play with NAA boot image. Works and sounds great. Excellent NAA endpoint.

8 hours ago, Miska said:

It is not normal, but some motherboard manufacturers can make sloppy BIOS releases and unfortunately such things can sometimes happen... It has not happened to me yet on any of my development or test machines though.

The motherboard is a MSI B550 Tomahawh , and I have a Ryzen 3600 in it..

Fine for me as I'm only playing PCM.

What properly screwed the license was that my netcard settings has someway changed.

Before it was enp40s0 , now it's called enp5s0 , does this matters ????

Replayed your email , with my new fingerprint + copy of order...

44 minutes ago, michaelvv said:

What properly screwed the license was that my netcard settings has someway changed.

Before it was enp40s0 , now it's called enp5s0 , does this matters ????

Not that it changed name, but it changing name is indication that something else changed...

31 minutes ago, Miska said:

Not that it changed name, but it changing name is indication that something else changed...

Okay , Please send a new license file , when you have time , I have sent your info on mail.

I will only upgrade the BIOS again , If I have some serious need..

@Miska 

Hi Jussi and anyone else that might be experiencing what I am about to describe.

I am experiencing some weird scenarios with Euphony Stylus and HQPe. I would have to say that these issues started to occur when I asked to beta test Gapless playback. I buffer all tracks to Ram for playback and wait every time for that process to complete before I will press the play button. Quite often only the first track will show up in the HQPe GUI and as a result playback will stop at the end of that track. Sometimes if I force the second track to start it may fix itself, but that is rare. I usually have to clear the Queue and re add the album tracks and sometimes it takes more than one try for it to work as it should. Tonight it actually stopped playing in the middle of a track. I’m at a loss as to why this has started to happen. I don’t know if it is Network, Hardware or Software related. I have had Zeljko take a look at Euphony but he could not come up an answer.

He look at the HQP Logs and felt there were definitely things that did not look right.

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....Mike

Edit.... I just got a pop up in Euphony saying I was using a trial license, I have never seen that before. That may have been why playback stopped in the middle of a track. Could I have browsed to a Trial License that I had previously? Is that something that I could have done?  I also find that I frequently need to browse to my HQPe License in Euphony settings when I change a HQPe parameter. What prompts this is that I will not have audible playback even though Stylus is reflecting playback. The only way to fix things is to re add my License and then initiate playback again.

9 hours ago, BCRich said:

@Miska 

Hi Jussi and anyone else that might be experiencing what I am about to describe.

I am experiencing some weird scenarios with Euphony Stylus and HQPe. I would have to say that these issues started to occur when I asked to beta test Gapless playback. I buffer all tracks to Ram for playback and wait every time for that process to complete before I will press the play button. Quite often only the first track will show up in the HQPe GUI and as a result playback will stop at the end of that track. Sometimes if I force the second track to start it may fix itself, but that is rare. I usually have to clear the Queue and re add the album tracks and sometimes it takes more than one try for it to work as it should. Tonight it actually stopped playing in the middle of a track. I’m at a loss as to why this has started to happen. I don’t know if it is Network, Hardware or Software related. I have had Zeljko take a look at Euphony but he could not come up an answer.

He look at the HQP Logs and felt there were definitely things that did not look right.

Any thoughts or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....Mike

Can you reproduce same behavior playing with HQPlayer Client from HQPlayer library? If not, then it is something in Stylus.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Can you reproduce same behavior playing with HQPlayer Client from HQPlayer library? If not, then it is something

How do I do that with Euphony/ HQPe? Do I just choose HQPe as my player instead of Stylus with HQPe enabled. I’m going to try that.

I have a feeling it is going to be a Euphony/Stylus issue as there have been complaints with the latest rev.

Thanks Jussi.

2 hours ago, Miska said:

Can you reproduce same behavior playing with HQPlayer Client from HQPlayer library? If not, then it is something in Stylus.

So I enabled HQPe only in Euphony and scanned my library. To gain access I just typed the IP address of my server with its respective port as I would using Euphony. I selected an album and pressed play. Immediately all tracks were added to the Queue. The one thing I am not sure of is if it is playing back gapless. There is a slight pause in between each track. It’s been quite some time since I used HQP in this fashion.

It is looking like a Euphony issue, I will continue to use it this way for a bit today and try different settings etc.

Note: as I am typing this playback was interrupted for a couple of seconds but began playing again on its own. I did hear activity on my Hard Drive just before it started again so not sure what it was or what caused it to stop. I’m not sure if I have “Log” enabled.

7 hours ago, BCRich said:

I used HQPe direct for a good part of the day. I had no buffer issues and gapless playback worked fine.

Once I returned to Euphony Stylus w/HQPe I continued to have the same issue where only one track will buffer in HQPe, all tracks buffer to Ram in Euphony every time. The fix seems to be that if I add my HQPe License in Euphony settings menu and the refresh the HQPe GUI both tracks 1&2 show up and play properly.

The attached screenshot shows the Euphony Menu to manage the License, in the past it was not always there only under certain situations would it show up; for instance if I changed a setting in HQPe GUI and then returned to Euphony. Bizarre to say the least. I have a feeling I will have to wait for the next update/major release of Euphony for this to get resolved.

Happy Listening.....Mike

21 hours ago, BCRich said:

How do I do that with Euphony/ HQPe? Do I just choose HQPe as my player instead of Stylus with HQPe enabled. I’m going to try that.

You scan library using HQPlayer's web interface. And then control playback from some other computer using HQPlayer Client (comes packaged with HQPlayer Desktop, but you can install independently).

20 hours ago, BCRich said:

Note: as I am typing this playback was interrupted for a couple of seconds but began playing again on its own. I did hear activity on my Hard Drive just before it started again so not sure what it was or what caused it to stop. I’m not sure if I have “Log” enabled.

Either HQPlayer run out of CPU power or Euphony OS is stealing some CPU or I/O time from HQPlayer for it's own activities.

36 minutes ago, lpost said:

I'm noticing a difference in sound, for the better, using HQPe on my NAA device with only NAA daemon running versus using the NAA image.

Is this perhaps because of the kernel updates in HQPe but not yet in NAA image?

Could be. Or it could be also because HQPlayer OS image doesn't boot to RAM disk. While NAA OS is RAM disk based (on x64 only).

Difference is that you can safely just power off NAA OS, but you should shut down HQPlayer OS properly using short press on power button.

Downside of RAM disk is that several hundred megabytes of unnecessary data end up loaded to RAM. While with normal root filesystem you end up having only the needed things in RAM, the ones that are in active use.

Good to know. I do power off HQPe machine overnight to save on power with a wifi outlet. A scheduled shutdown (combined with power on in bios) would be a nice option. I don't have a music catalog though so worse case I just reimage and restore my config if corruptions occurs. NAA remains on all the time as it consumes so little power.

11 minutes ago, lpost said:

Good to know. I do power off HQPe machine overnight to save on power with a wifi outlet. A scheduled shutdown (combined with power on in bios) would be a nice option.

You could scheduled the shutdown by doing scheduled request of the shutdown link in the web interface (on Linux with cron + curl for example).

13 minutes ago, Miska said:

You could scheduled the shutdown by doing scheduled request of the shutdown link in the web interface (on Linux with cron + curl for example).

I've only got a Windows 10 machine to send the command via schedule tasks. I've got the task working to call shutdown but of course it's then prompted to authenticate. 

I have a protected network and would like to remove authentication for HQPe. Is this possible? I don't find a user hqplayer in passwd file.

9 minutes ago, lpost said:

I've only got a Windows 10 machine to send the command via schedule tasks. I've got the task working to call shutdown but of course it's then prompted to authenticate. 

I have a protected network and would like to remove authentication for HQPe. Is this possible? I don't find a user hqplayer in passwd file.

It is not possible at the moment to disable authentication. But at least with tools like curl and such you can provide username + password in a scripted way. Maybe in your Windows case it is also somehow possible.