IGNORED

HQPlayer Linux Desktop and HQplayer embedded

ted_b

Ah, my goal is to inject Spotify digital signal into the HQP system. I've tried a few commercial devices but they all connect directly to my dac and thus do not work in my room. Well, they work but they are not up to the standard I want.

I have a crazy setup running with LMS and some plugins on Windows and it works but is not very stable at all.

I guess I don't yet understand what devices are supported to input to HQPe and where to physically connect them.

Just now, lpost said:

Ah, my goal is to inject Spotify into the HQP system. I've tried a few commercial devices but they all connect directly to my dac and thus do not work in my room. Well, they work but they are not up to the standard I want.

Simplest and cheapest for Spotify is to get Chromecast Audio dongle - if you can still find one, since it is discontinued. And miniDSP USBStreamer (you'll need to flash a suitable firmware to it, they offer multiple different ones).

Or you can use some other device like Bluesound Node 2i and connect it using the same USBStreamer.

This won't offer automatic sample rate switching, but it is not needed for Spotify since it is always 44.1k. And it can be used directly with HQPlayer. With manual sample rate switching in mind, it works for anything that uses normal optical S/PDIF.

For automatic sample rate switching on Linux with HQPlayer Embedded and S/PDIF + AES/EBU inputs (plus analog input through ADC), there's the RME ADI-2 Pro. But it costs about 10x more... But it is worth it if you for example need digital room correction or some other DSP performed for vinyl sources or similar. So through the ADI-2 Pro you can connect max four source devices (analog, coaxial S/PDIF, optical S/PDIF and AES/EBU). DAC side will be left unused, but not necessarily much of a problem.

8 minutes ago, lpost said:

I guess I don't yet understand what devices are supported to input to HQPe and where to physically connect them.

Pretty much anything that looks like audio input for the OS. Like ADC or digital inputs such as S/PDIF and AES/EBU.

And as special thing, with suitable hardware, HQPlayer can look like a USB DAC over USB. So USB connection in addition to above.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

You can also have two computers connected via digital interface. For example I have:

iMac running macOS -> USB-to-AES converter -> RME ADI-2 Pro -> Linux server with HQPlayer Embedded

With this, any application that can output audio on the Mac works as source to HQPlayer. Like Spotify or Tidal for example. (this includes even DSD64 over DoP because HQPlayer has DoP detection and decoding for inputs too)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, lpost said:

Are there any technical reason why HQPe doesn't yet have 2.822/3.072Mhz PCM option available? 

Is the hardware to support it not yet available?

Well, on Linux and macOS it is at least supported. On Windows not at the moment. It is easy to add if needed though.

But I'm not aware of any such hardware. And USB Audio Class doesn't work for such either. So it would need custom USB implementation, or preferably network DAC instead.

1 hour ago, lpost said:

Ok, in HQPeOS to NAA I don't see anything beyond 1.536MHz. I'm curious what happens if I try it (at low volume of course).

Holo May DAC says in theory it's supported over USB.

I can already tell it won't work... But you can edit the configuration file manually. You can see discovered rates from the log file if such rate gets detected.

I can update things if necessary so you could experiment more on that. But already 1.5M is out of specification.

On 3/18/2021 at 3:52 PM, rossco said:

I have just switched over to Linux Mint from Windows 10 and I wanted some advice. After installing HQ Player on Linux I can't play to my chosen NAA. I posted on the Roon forum a couple of weeks ago but I have not had a chance since to try and get HQ player working  and I thought, on reflection, this might be a better thread anyway.

So, if I turn the firewall off and NordVPN off, I can see the NAA (on ropieee on Allo USBridge sig) and I can play to it. If I turn either of the VPN or firewall on, I lose the ability to play music. I have my local IP subnet whitelisted in NordVPN. I have tried adding rules in Linux Mint firewall but, although I can occasionally 'see' the NAA in HQ Player I can only get it to play when both the VPN and firewall are off.

I would be grateful if anyone can point me in the right direction in regards to how I should configure the firewall rules and/or how I whitelist correctly in NordVPN.

I am still trying to get this working (HQ Player to NAA in linux Mint)

I know it has been mentioned this perhaps being a multicast issue that is complicated by my use of a VPN (NordVPN), so to eliminate the VPN, I have restarted the PC without the VPN being active.

If I set rules in the firewall, seperate for 'in' and 'out' with the correct PC (with HQ Player) and NAA IP's, I can see the endpoint in HQplayer but I cannot play to it in roon, nothing happens. However, if I switch the firewall in Mint incoming to 'allow', I can then play to the NAA, so perhaps its fair to assume its an incoming issue??

Is there anything else I can do to get this to work via firewall rules (like adding ports ranges??), or is this definitely a multicast issue, and if so, what can I do about it?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, rossco said:

If I set rules in the firewall, seperate for 'in' and 'out' with the correct PC (with HQ Player) and NAA IP's, I can see the endpoint in HQplayer but I cannot play to it in roon, nothing happens. However, if I switch the firewall in Mint incoming to 'allow', I can then play to the NAA, so perhaps its fair to assume its an incoming issue??

Is there anything else I can do to get this to work via firewall rules (like adding ports ranges??), or is this definitely a multicast issue, and if so, what can I do about it?

HQPlayer uses dynamic port for the NAA discovery. But the multicast message is sent out from the same port where unicast response is coming back. So you need a stateful firewall that allows responses to come back from any local IP, and not just the one where the initial packet was sent to (which is multicast address).

I have a sonic transporter i9 with HQ Player Embedded installed.  

I am having a problem with HQ Player in that I cannot access the configuration page.  When I try to access, I get the following error message:

This site can’t be reached

192…. refused to connect.

Try:

• Checking the connection
  • Checking the proxy and the firewall

I asked Andrew at small green computer about this and he suggested uninstalling HQ Player, reinstalling and rebooting the sonic transporter.  I tried this.  I am able to reinstall HQ player embedded and reach the configuration page.  However, after rebooting the sonic transporter, I am unable to reach the configuration page again.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

23 hours ago, Miska said:

HQPlayer uses dynamic port for the NAA discovery. But the multicast message is sent out from the same port where unicast response is coming back. So you need a stateful firewall that allows responses to come back from any local IP, and not just the one where the initial packet was sent to (which is multicast address).

Thanks for the explanation. I have not come across this before, so I had to read your comment a number of times and then jump onto the internet to find out more. I still need to read up more on 'stateful firewalls', in order to find a solution.

On a more general note, does anyone else have this challenge with Linux or is it just me? Do people switch off their firewall, or perhaps not use it when using HQPlayer? Or do you have 'stateful firewalls'?

6 hours ago, rossco said:

On a more general note, does anyone else have this challenge with Linux or is it just me? Do people switch off their firewall, or perhaps not use it when using HQPlayer? Or do you have 'stateful firewalls'?

My local network is protected by a separate firewall device (stateful one). And for the rest, I'm not running any services in general that shouldn't be accessible from the local network.

Usually people have some router/firewall with NAT and thus local network is not accessible from outside and local firewalls don't have much benefit.

But devices like laptops that are used for traveling and in insecure networks like airport or hotel WiFi should use firewalls when connected to something else than home network.

14 hours ago, Miska said:

My local network is protected by a separate firewall device (stateful one). And for the rest, I'm not running any services in general that shouldn't be accessible from the local network.

Usually people have some router/firewall with NAT and thus local network is not accessible from outside and local firewalls don't have much benefit.

But devices like laptops that are used for traveling and in insecure networks like airport or hotel WiFi should use firewalls when connected to something else than home network.

Thanks @Miska.

On reflection I think my knowledge of firewalls is fairly limited. In the past I have ensured I have a software firewall running when using windows (Kaspersky was the last one) and once that was done I forgot about it. On moving to Linux my lack of knowledge has been a hinderance. Anyway, on investigating, I do believe I have a firewall on my Netgear Orbi router and it is automatic although I am not sure its 'stateful' status. I am also unsure whether its safe to turn off the software firewall on my linux machine, but perhaps its fine for short periods when I want to use HQ Player, given that my network is 'protected' by the firewall in the Orbi.

On the more medium term front, I have on my list of things to do, to invest in a new router running something like OPNsense. Which I think might be more like your set-up Miska. I believe its stateful. I assume I can then switch off the software firewall fairly safely, again, perhaps for short periods.

Hi Jussi.

Did a BIOS upgrade on my debian hqplayer box , for trying another memory module , due to stability issues.

After boot my network was renamed , so i configured it in /etc/network/interfaces ,

but what also was happening , my fingerprint for my license was changed..

Changed back to old memory , still not a valid fingerprint..

I have send your a PM. It this normal behavior after a BIOS update ????

Please when you have time can your send me a valid license file ...

Thanks Michael.