I just made an amazing discouvery with the Brooklyn DAC. With a floating PSU sharing power with both USB injection and USB Regen the Brooklyn does'nt require USB ground for handshake. I can run my unshielded USB cables with just the data wires. No ground and no 5v wires due to the power injection. Finally a proper star ground! ?

This was a major game changer soundwise! Now Brooklyn DAC suddenly sounds superiour to Pioneer U-05! Awesome! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

16 minutes ago, Cornan said:

I just made an amazing discouvery with the Brooklyn DAC. With a floating PSU sharing power with both USB injection and USB Regen the Brooklyn does'nt require USB ground for handshake. I can run my unshielded USB cables with just the data wires. No ground and no 5v wires due to the power injection. Finally a proper star ground! ?

This was a major game changer soundwise! Now Brooklyn DAC suddenly sounds superiour to Pioneer U-05! Awesome! ?

Waw that's something new! With a VR mini feeding the Brooklyn, can I do this? I am traveling now so can't test it.

I have a data only usb cable from EA that can do this trick

Just now, mozes said:

Waw that's something new! With a VR mini feeding the Brooklyn, can I do this? I am traveling now so can't test it.

@Cornan can you pls share a diagram of your brooklyn connections. I want to understand how I can do it in my system as well.

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

While my kid fell asleep on the sofa I experimented with the mini grounders on my B setup. Connected to the speakers they actually descreased SQ, making it to sound noticable thin. Trying them on Gophert& DC terminal did'nt make any noticeable difference. Then I tried one connected to the ground receptacle on my Naim powerstrip. It sounded better. Tried a second one as well. Sounded even better. Added the third one on the same strip and yet another small jump in SQ. All three together on the same powerstrip ground receptacle reveils a small amount of background details and maybe add a little more air to the soundstage and perhaps a tiny bit more dynamics. Small changes overall, but atleast I found a place where it do matter. Everywhere else I tried it it did'nt make a noticeable difference or even maked it worse. I am satisfied after all, but I can say for sure that the extent of the SQ cannot compare to tourmaline grounding boxes. I hoped it would, but it did'nt! ?

Ok I will lower my expectations as well but will try them everywhere and see

8 minutes ago, mozes said:

A star ground is something that I have been struggeling to acheive in my own setup for years without success. Finally I got there and it sounds increadible! ? There is many things that have to be right to get it working. With a star ground you'll have to have a single safety ground running through the while setup ending up at a single AC wall outlet. I think that the key to success is both due to the construction of the Brooklyn DAC and that the USB injection plus Regen is sharing the same floating psu. 

🎛️  Audio System  

37 minutes ago, mozes said:

@Cornan can you pls share a diagram of your brooklyn connections. I want to understand how I can do it in my system as well.

Sure, but it cannot be done quickly. I need to do it from my work pc, but I am extremely busy at work this following week. As I mensioned I have been struggeling to acheive this for years myself. I am not 100% sure what did it in the end. My guess is Brooklyn plus the Y-split between Regen and USB injection, but honestly I do not know for sure. I just know that it have to be a star ground when the handshake works with a 2-wire unshielded USB cables. 

🎛️  Audio System  

45 minutes ago, mozes said:

With a VR mini feeding the Brooklyn, can I do this?

No, the VR mini is 12v.  A LPS-1 supplying Brooklyns USB injection, Regen and txUltra might do it? Just check firat that all devices can be powered with 5v simultaniously.

🎛️  Audio System  

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

Sure, but it cannot be done quickly. I need to do it from my work pc, but I am extremely busy at work this following week. As I mensioned I have been struggeling to acheive this for years myself. I am not 100% sure what did it in the end. My guess is Brooklyn plus the Y-split between Regen and USB injection, but honestly I do not know for sure. I just know that it have to be a star ground when the handshake works with a 2-wire unshielded USB cables. 

Thanks take your time no rush here. I believe there is some important learning here and really appreciate your efforts 

3 hours ago, Cornan said:

No, the VR mini is 12v.  A LPS-1 supplying Brooklyns USB injection, Regen and txUltra might do it? Just check firat that all devices can be powered with 5v simultaniously.

My tX is 12v so what I will do is try feeding the 5v injection with an LPS-1 and see how it goes 

50 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Listened all night. I now know for sure that this is my best sound up to date in my A setup! The treble is glorious, the bass notes deep and firm and midrange very natural sounding. Dynamics, 3D/air, room sense and instrument placements are all top notch. Both MQA and FLAC sounds great! I wish I had words to describe how good it sounds right now. I am speachless and really happy right now! ? I wonder how it will sound with more burn-in? I cannot wait!

I am happy for you, enjoy it you worked hard for it! 

3 hours ago, mozes said:

I am happy for you, enjoy it you worked hard for it! 

Thanks a lot Moussa! ?

Next week my Aucharm grounding box will arrive. I will start by connecting it to Brooklyn's GND screw. Hopefully it will improve SQ both my Ariston turntable and Brooklyn at the same time. Touch wood! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

15 hours ago, mozes said:

Ok I will lower my expectations as well but will try them everywhere and see

It would'nt surprise me if your silver versions is more effective than my copper dito's. I cross my fingers for you! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

The mini grounders have now also left my B setup.

IMG_6054.thumb.JPG.5f73fa3234454183ea21b340cf6d57f7.JPG

After re-evaluate them they dig out tiny bits of details but seem to kill the air and music soul/feeling even more. I also tried it on my AQVOX switch together with the Entreq Minimus where I noticed a  a similar thing. More details but they kill the sound similar to what a connected battery charger will do. Unfortunately they do more harm than good in my both setups. 

🎛️  Audio System  

5 hours ago, Cornan said:

The mini grounders have now also left my B setup.

IMG_6054.thumb.JPG.5f73fa3234454183ea21b340cf6d57f7.JPG

After re-evaluate them they dig out tiny bits of details but seem to kill the air and music soul/feeling even more. I also tried it on my AQVOX switch together with the Entreq Minimus where I noticed a  a similar thing. More details but they kill the sound similar to what a connected battery charger will do. Unfortunately they do more harm than good in my both setups. 

I still haven't received mine yet, and also waiting for my lovely VR mini to come back from the mothership :)

If these don't work at all in my audio setup then I will try them in my living room for the TV

2 minutes ago, mozes said:

I still haven't received mine yet, and also waiting for my lovely VR mini to come back from the mothership :)

If these don't work at all in my audio setup then I will try them in my living room for the TV

Good idea! I might try them on my TV as well. With some luck the picture could improve atleast! ?

I'll cross my fingers silver rules! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

AQVOX switch also improved with Canare 4S6 starquad! ?

IMG_6066.thumb.JPG.94593c64da11afa35760e803c4145aba.JPG

Finally all my DC cables except the Teradak Y-split is starquad. It's a bummer that there is no USB B male screw terminal out there. I am considering to cut the Teradak USB B male to female plug and rewire the USB A cable with Canare starquad so 100% of the DC cables is starquads. ?

🎛️  Audio System  

I am doing something crazy....I have ordered some higher rated caps. Same values but newer low ESR high ripple low impedance than installed..

http://www.mouser.co.uk/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?R=UHW1E562MHDvirtualkey64700000virtualkey647-UHW1E562MHD

Same values uf and voltage.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/byw80200-ultra-fast-diodes-p-1116.html

Faster switching Diodes for the rectifier bridge. 

I may mess up the output to not be as smooth but this should at least do nothing or give me cleaner power dc out.

Doing power up test in garage and burn in.....

I can refit the old components if not...

Not touching my Brooklyn O.o

8 hours ago, Middy said:

I am doing something crazy....I have ordered some higher rated caps. Same values but newer low ESR high ripple low impedance than installed..

http://www.mouser.co.uk/Search/m_ProductDetail.aspx?R=UHW1E562MHDvirtualkey64700000virtualkey647-UHW1E562MHD

Same values uf and voltage.

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/catalog/byw80200-ultra-fast-diodes-p-1116.html

Faster switching Diodes for the rectifier bridge. 

I may mess up the output to not be as smooth but this should at least do nothing or give me cleaner power dc out.

Doing power up test in garage and burn in.....

I can refit the old components if not...

Not touching my Brooklyn O.o

I like crazy! ? My motto is that you'll never win if you're not prepared to loose some. With Nichicon caps and ultra fast diods you'll have a good chance to win and up end up with a supreme Sbooster PSU. 

I am currently researching the possibilities to connect a 10-16V external car capacitor between my Gophert psu and the Aries Mini (as close to the input as possible). Not sure yet if it is a good idea or not, especially since I use a floating ground.

The main idea is to isolate the power input rather than to increase the torque.

wiring-one-car-capacitor.thumb.jpg.a16d817069fdf08daf8960761641da89.jpg

🎛️  Audio System  

On 6/17/2017 at 3:05 AM, Cornan said:

Listened all night. I now know for sure that this is my best sound up to date in my A setup! The treble is glorious, the bass notes deep and firm and midrange very natural sounding. Dynamics, 3D/air, room sense and instrument placements are all top notch. Both MQA and FLAC sounds great! I wish I had words to describe how good it sounds right now. I am speachless and really happy right now! ? I wonder how it will sound with more burn-in? I cannot wait!

Fitzpleasure!? B|

(Or how about some nice early Elbow?)

@mozes

I finally got some time to make a quick system typology. Unfortunately I realised that I was too quick! ? The connection between the Gopherts and the power strip is ofcourse AC with GND/phase/neutral and not DC. All the floating connections is showed without GND on the typology. The DC blockers trap filter is not on the typology, but is located between the AC wall outlet and the Peaktech 2240. All power cables and ICs are unshielded. I hope you'll get the picture! ?

59497079be22c_Cornan-Brooklynground.thumb.jpg.73b76e846836814ba1f04e15b1bcc1a1.jpg

I did notice that when I powered off both Gopherts I did have to connect the USB GND wires again. When the handshake is achieved I can lift the GND until I power off the Gopherts. If I power off the Brooklyn the handshake is still active when powering on.

Not completely sure if this actually is a star ground or not, but it surely sounds great! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

10 minutes ago, Cornan said:

@mozes

I finally got some time to make a quick system typology. Unfortunately I realised that I was too quick! ? The connection between the Gopherts and the power strip is ofcourse AC with GND/phase/neutral and not DC. All the floating connections is showed without GND on the typology. The DC blockers trap filter is not on the typology, but is located between the AC wall outlet and the Peaktech 2240. All power cables and ICs are unshielded. I hope you'll get the picture! ?

59497079be22c_Cornan-Brooklynground.thumb.jpg.73b76e846836814ba1f04e15b1bcc1a1.jpg

I did notice that when I powered off both Gopherts I did have to connect the USB GND wires again. When the handshake is achieved I can lift the GND until I power off the Gopherts. If I power off the Brooklyn the handshake is still active when powering on.

Not completely sure if this actually is a star ground or not, but it surely sounds great! ?

Thanks @Cornan much appreciated. I will revuew your diagram when I go home in the evening. I want to see what learnings I can get so I can get the Brooklyn to work with a 5v injection.