22 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I hear you! This whole finding about SQ differences between switched vs direct connection and bridging is still baffling. Yet, I can hear it.

Well, I am not the one who do not believe in it! ?

However, it might yield different results when playing local files vs cloud content.

I know for sure that these network related tweaks sounds best with Tidal streaming in my setup so far:

1. BubbleDS Next via OpenHome

2. Router powered by a lpsu with floating output relative to the safety ground.

3. Short Cat6a U/UTP network cables

4. Galvanicly isolated router input

5. Wireless ac network adapter (close to the steamer) with strong 5Ghz WiFi only, static IP and DHCP off

6. Externally grounded network switch powered isolated from AC mains.

?

🎛️  Audio System  

31 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Secondly, it is claimed that Roon will do the first MQA unfold for Masters content on Tidal, which is a powerful selling point too.

FYI. Master content is already available on LightningDS. I did listen to it on my non MQA DAC and I think is sounds a bit clinical to these ears. It will likely sound better with a MQA DAC though.

🎛️  Audio System  

13 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Well, I am not the one who do not believe in it! ?

However, it might yield different results when playing local files vs cloud content.

I know for sure that these network related tweaks sounds best with Tidal streaming in my setup so far:

1. BubbleDS Next via OpenHome

2. Router powered by a lpsu with floating output relative to the safety ground.

3. Short Cat6a U/UTP network cables

4. Galvanicly isolated router input

5. Wireless ac network adapter (close to the steamer) with strong 5Ghz WiFi only, static IP and DHCP off

6. Externally grounded network switch powered isolated from AC mains.

?

In my system local files always sound better than Tidal, I confirmed this with some friends who joined me for a listening session. We ripped one CD and played it and then we listened to the same album on Tidal. Local is much better. I also compared many other tracks I have with Tidal streaming. Local is always the winner.

After my latest tweaks with battery powered bridge and AQVOX switch and isolation transformer and an LPS on my main router and using Bubble DS Next, Tidal is now very very close to my local music but still not there :)

1 minute ago, Cornan said:

FYI. Master content is already available on LightningDS. I did listen to it on my non MQA DAC and think is sounds a bit clicinal to these ears. It will likely sound better with a MQA DAC though.

We're talking slightly different things. What you're referring to is the MQA encoded Masters files that Lightning can access and play back. These are typically 24/44.1 or 24/48.

I'm referring to MQA SW decoding, which does the first "unfold" and generates 24/88.2 or 24/96. As you probably know, this is not the full MQA decode, which only an MQA DAC can do, but it is something.

Right now, this SW decode, or first unfold, is licensed and included within the Tidal desktop apps on Mac/Win, as well as Audirvana 3 that just came out.

BTW - and only as an experiment for science - I have "captured" some decoded content from the Tidal app and played them back through the Aries Mini, and I must say, even this first unfold can sound very good, depending on the track of course.

9 minutes ago, Cornan said:

FYI. Master content is already available on LightningDS. I did listen to it on my non MQA DAC and I think is sounds a bit clinical to these ears. It will likely sound better with a MQA DAC though.

@Cornan do you have any idea if MQA will be available on Bubble DS Next?

1 minute ago, moussaobeid said:

In my system local files always sound better than Tidal, I confirmed this with some friends who joined me for a listening session. We ripped one CD and played it and then we listened to the same album on Tidal. Local is much better. In also compared many other tracks I have with Tidal streaming. Local is always the winner.

After my latest tweaks with battery powered bridge and AQVOX switch and isolation transformer and an LPS on my main router and using Bubble DS Next, Tidal is now very very close to my local music but still not there :)

Thanks for sharing Moussa! ?

How do you connect to Tidal? Directly to Nimitra or through Jriver? Direct approach via OpdnHome is always best with Tidal IME. Also using 5Ghz WiFi is a must IMO. I know you connect via 2,4Ghz. Tidal just might catch up! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

1 minute ago, Cornan said:

Thanks for sharing Moussa! ?

How do you connect to Tidal? Directly to Nimitra or through Jriver? Direct approach via OpdnHome is always best with Tidal IME. Also using 5Ghz WiFi is a must IMO. I know you connect via 2,4Ghz. Tidal just might catch up! ?

I stream from Bubble DS Next to Jplaystreamer which runs on my Nimitra. I ordered a 12v rechargeable battery for my Asus bridge and I get it I will be using 5Ghz.

7 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

In my system local files always sound better than Tidal, I confirmed this with some friends who joined me for a listening session. We ripped one CD and played it and then we listened to the same album on Tidal. Local is much better. I also compared many other tracks I have with Tidal streaming. Local is always the winner.

Moussa,

Since your DAC, the Brooklyn, is an MQA DAC, what has been your experience with Tidal Masters content after full MQA decode?

Although - that is probably off-topic. ;)

4 minutes ago, austinpop said:

We're talking slightly different things. What you're referring to is the MQA encoded Masters files that Lightning can access and play back. These are typically 24/44.1 or 24/48.

I'm referring to MQA SW decoding, which does the first "unfold" and generates 24/88.2 or 24/96. As you probably know, this is not the full MQA decode, which only an MQA DAC can do, but it is something.

Right now, this SW decode, or first unfold, is licensed and included within the Tidal desktop apps on Mac/Win, as well as Audirvana 3 that just came out.

BTW - and only as an experiment for science - I have "captured" some decoded content from the Tidal app and played them back through the Aries Mini, and I must say, even this first unfold can sound very good, depending on the track of course.

Thanks Rajiv! This is actually something I didn't know about! Hmmm, Room suddenly became much more interesting now! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

12 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

I stream from Bubble DS Next to Jplaystreamer which runs on my Nimitra. I ordered a 12v rechargeable battery for my Asus bridge and I get it I will be using 5Ghz.

That's the right approach you've got there. Let's hope the battery powered Asus bridge will get you even closer. Keep me posted! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

2 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Moussa,

Since your DAC, the Brooklyn, is an MQA DAC, what has been your experience with Tidal Masters content after full MQA decode?

Although - that is probably off-topic. ;)

I haven't really done a proper extended comparison with and without MQA. My initial impression is that MQA definitely sounds better than non MQA tracks, bigger sound stage and more air around instruments. I still prefer my locally stored music. Keep in mind I haven't listened to MQA tracks after my network optimizations.

Overall the well recorded DSD albums that I have sound absolutely gorgeous and I am very confident to say that they are better than MQA but I know that this maybe apples to oranges 

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

That's the right approach you've got there. Let's hope the battery powered Asus bridge will give you even closer. Keep me posted! ?

Keetakawee the developer of Nimitra and Fidelizer made his tests and told me that Tidal sounds best with Jplaystreamer and BubbleDS Next, much better than the PC native app of Tidal

2 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

I have an MQA dac that I want to use, but I can't manage with the desktop app as I run Nimitra headless.

Hmm yeah that's a shame. You really should be exploiting MQA. I wish had a Brooklyn!

At this point, the only headless solution I'm aware of that will pass-through MQA content from Tidal is Roon Core. But maybe there are others. I would hope that Bubble DS would soon pass through MQA  content (currently seems to max out at 16/44.1), but no idea if this is in their roadmap.

Of course, your requirements are easier since you have an MQA DAC. You only need a server that will pass-through the MQA stream, whereas the rest of us with non-MQA DACs need the MQA SW decode feature too, which is very unlikely to come to Bubble DS.

:D  I should get a commission from Roon today - I seem to be making sales for them!

8 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

I haven't really done a proper extended comparison with and without MQA. My initial impression is that MQA definitely sounds better than non MQA tracks, bigger sound stage and more air around instruments. I still prefer my locally stored music. Keep in mind I haven't listened to MQA tracks after my network optimizations.

Overall the well recorded DSD albums that I have sound absolutely gorgeous and I am very confident to say that they are better than MQA but I know that this maybe apples to oranges 

Yeah, I agree if you have well recorded high-res local content, it would be a very pleasant surprise indeed if an MQA version would beat that. I would have to hear it for myself to believe it.

For me, the allure of Tidal/MQA is for content I don't own locally. Also, a secondary benefit of MQA encoding that I'm seeing on Tidal is that these MQA albums appear, in many case, to also have benefited from a remastering, so the SQ improvement is improved on multiple fronts. I just don't know if it's enough for me to replace a not-inexpensive DAC I already own and love just for MQA. That's the line I won't cross yet.

So for me, SW decoding via Roon would be just peachy!

22 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Hmm yeah that's a shame. You really should be exploiting MQA. I wish had a Brooklyn!

At this point, the only headless solution I'm aware of that will pass-through MQA content from Tidal is Roon Core. But maybe there are others. I would hope that Bubble DS would soon pass through MQA  content (currently seems to max out at 16/44.1), but no idea if this is in their roadmap.

Of course, your requirements are easier since you have an MQA DAC. You only need a server that will pass-through the MQA stream, whereas the rest of us with non-MQA DACs need the MQA SW decode feature too, which is very unlikely to come to Bubble DS.

:D  I should get a commission from Roon today - I seem to be making sales for them!

Hmm I think I will try Room to see what it is all about. I can get a trial license

13 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yeah see what you think. I'm neither a hater nor a cheerleader.

You would install it as headless (Roon Core) on your Nimitra, and install the full version on a different machine for control.

Good you told me, I am a complete ignorant about Roon,

So I will install the full version on my laptop and Roon Core on my Nimitra, lets see how it will go. I am only interested in how they integrate Tidal

24 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

Good you told me, I am a complete ignorant about Roon,

So I will install the full version on my laptop and Roon Core on my Nimitra, lets see how it will go. I am only interested in how they integrate Tidal

Exactly.

Even though you only want the Control on your laptop, they package it as a full install. After install, when you run it, it will ask you if you want to use it as a control app.

So - install the Core first, then the control.

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Exactly.

Even though you only want the Control on your laptop, they package it as a full install. After install, when you run it, it will ask you if you want to use it as a control app.

So - install the Core first, then the control.

Great thank you @austinpop