4 hours ago, austinpop said:

So guys, I went ahead and ordered a couple of the Aucharm grounding boxes. The eBay seller gave me a good price on a pair.

I need to update my diagrams, and will post, with some ideas on where I will try the grounding. Your thoughts and advice will be welcomed, of course.

Well done Rajiv! I cannot wait to hear your impressions of the grounding boxes! ?

I'll be happy to give you advices! 

🎛️  Audio System  

7 hours ago, moussaobeid said:

Hmm I think I will try Room to see what it is all about. I can get a trial license

Be sure to keep track of the trial period. I heard that Roon will happily charge you for a year if you forget to end it yourself. If nothing have changed the trial period does'nt run out automatically. If it is a keeper that will not be a problem though. 

I would be interesting to know your sq impressions with Roon vs BubbleDS Next with non-MQ content on Tidal as well! ? 

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

Exactly.

Even though you only want the Control on your laptop, they package it as a full install. After install, when you run it, it will ask you if you want to use it as a control app.

So - install the Core first, then the control.

Do you know if there is any plans for a completely cloud based Roon solution? 

🎛️  Audio System  

I just found a way to improve the Chromecast Audio that I did´nt know about.

001-google-chromecast-ethernet-adapter.thumb.jpg.68d9c33f5223ec9301ed85da3f4d4d9a.jpg

I just need to check if it will work with a Gbit speed wireless adapter. If it does I am good to go with a wireless adapter+network switch solution for the CCA as well! :) 

🎛️  Audio System  

6 hours ago, Cornan said:

Be sure to keep track of the trial period. I heard that Roon will happily charge you for a year if you forget to end it yourself. If nothing have changed the trial period does'nt run out automatically. If it is a keeper that will not be a problem though. 

I would be interesting to know your sq impressions with Roon vs BubbleDS Next with non-MQ content on Tidal as well! ? 

Thanks for the watch out, luckily I didn't use my credit card for Roon. Nimitra offered us 2 month trial period with Roon, so no risk here :)

I will post my impressions very soon

1 hour ago, Cornan said:

I just found a way to improve the Chromecast Audio that I did´nt know about.

001-google-chromecast-ethernet-adapter.thumb.jpg.68d9c33f5223ec9301ed85da3f4d4d9a.jpg

I just need to check if it will work with a Gbit speed wireless adapter. If it does I am good to go with a wireless adapter+network switch solution for the CCA as well! :) 

Interesting! You make me think about my Chromecast Ultra that I use to stream Youtube music videos To my TV whether I can improve picture and audio quality.

what is this ethernet adapter you have?

After searching for Gigabit network adapters I realized that most of them are USB 3.0 which would not work with the CCA. I almost lost hope when I suddenly found this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/l6s/Plugable-Gigabit-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Windows-Chromebook/B003VSTDFG which could be bundled with the correct OTG cable.

I am ordering it while I cross my fingers that it will actually work IRL! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

7 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

Interesting! You make me think about my Chromecast Ultra that I use to stream Youtube music videos To my TV whether I can improve picture and audio quality.

what is this ethernet adapter you have?

It might be worth a shot! ;) I just posted which one I ordered. But keep in mind that I am not 100% sure it will actually work...but for me it is worth the gamble! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

6 minutes ago, Cornan said:

It might be worth a shot! ;) I just posted which one I ordered. But keep in mind that I am not 100% sure it will actually work...but for me it is worth the gamble! :)

Right now my chromecast Ultra connects wirelessly via 5G, so this means that I need to get a wired connection or a wireless bridge again :) to try

5 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

Right now my chromecast Ultra connects wirelessly via 5G, so this means that I need to get a wired connection or a wireless bridge again :) to try

I just realized that Chromecast Ultra has its own ethernet port so I will try to see if adding an ethernet isolator makes a difference. 

Just now, moussaobeid said:

It all depends if you´re calm enough to wait for me to try it out! ;) I will be going on a business trip to China on Monday and will be back on 5:th of April, so no results from me until then atleast.

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, Cornan said:

It all depends if you´re calm enough to wait for me to try it out! ;) I will be going on a business trip to China on Monday and will be back on 5:th of April, so no results from me until then atleast.

Great have a safe trip.

I already have the Baaske MI1005 isolator which I got before the accoustic revive one. Currently I am using it on my main router and I forgot about it. I will try it tonight when I go home, so quick and free experiment:)

1 minute ago, moussaobeid said:

I just realized that Chromecast Ultra has its own ethernet port so I will try to see if adding an ethernet isolator makes a difference. 

Well, then there is no point adding a network adapter! :) I just had a quick look at the CCU. It says something about power adapter with ethernet port. Make sure to plug that one into your IT if possible. 

Chromecast have the same power adapter with ethernet port as an accessory for the CCA, but I choosed to ignore that one due to the ac mains connection plus 100Mbit/s limit. I do not know if the Ultra¨s version are Gigabit speed though? 

BTW. My USB2.0 ethernet adapter is not true Gigabit either, but it is atleast around 400Mbit/s.

🎛️  Audio System  

3 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

Great have a safe trip.

I already have the Baaske MI1005 isolator which I got before the accoustic revive one. Currently I am using it on my main router and I forgot about it. I will try it tonight when I go home, so quick and free experiment:)

Thanks Moussa! 

A perfect spot for the Baaske MI1005! :) Please report back your impressions. I have actually bookmarked this isolator as a possible option for my CCA http://www.ebay.com/itm/201775179308?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Looks very similar to the Baaske. Almost suspicious! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

50 minutes ago, Cornan said:

Well, then there is no point adding a network adapter! :) I just had a quick look at the CCU. It says something about power adapter with ethernet port. Make sure to plug that one into your IT if possible. 

Chromecast have the same power adapter with ethernet port as an accessory for the CCA, but I choosed to ignore that one due to the ac mains connection plus 100Mbit/s limit. I do not know if the Ultra¨s version are Gigabit speed though? 

BTW. My USB2.0 ethernet adapter is not true Gigabit either, but it is atleast around 400Mbit/s.

Yes I also found it weird to have the ethernet port in the power adapter. The IT is plugged to the router on the other side of the room. I will try without it first.

I have also a second idea to test which is to use a wireless bridge with my TV and plug the Baaske isolator and see if this makes a difference to Netflix streaming.

23 minutes ago, moussaobeid said:

Yes I also found it weird to have the ethernet port in the power adapter. The IT is plugged to the router on the other side of the room. I will try without it first.

I have also a second idea to test which is to use a wireless bridge with my TV and plug the Baaske isolator and see if this makes a difference to Netflix streaming.

It will be interesting to know what you´ll find out. I think I am going to check what I can do for my Apple TV as well. The Chromecast HDMI (regular one) in my house is my daughters, and she could´nt care less anyway! ;)

🎛️  Audio System  

I changed my order to this TL-UE300 since I tend to trust TP-Links network products. I also bought a chepeo OTG cable from China to connect it to my CCA.

UE300_un_V1_892_68_normal_0_20150217110931.jpg.56acda54c05f27cead9dc9a86c1f0040.jpg

I will report back when I have recieved it. Hopefully I´ll get the network switch and Gophert lab style SMPS (with floating output relative to safety ground) by the time I´ll get back, so I will have a bunch of coming experiments.

The coming expected experiments will be:

1. Daisy-chained network switches on my main rig. Better or worse than with one network switch?

2. CCA>OTG>TP-Link TL-UE300>30cm Cat 6a U/UTP>battery powered network switch>30cm Cat6a U/UTP>TP-Link AC1200 DAP1620 plugged into Ultra IT. Better or worse than wireless connection to the CCA?

3. CCA>TP-Link TL-UE300>Asus USB-N53 wireless USB card (5Ghz/300Mbit/s). Will it work at all and will it improve SQ on CCA?

4. Gophert PSU connected to my Oehlbach DAC Edition 40. Improves SQ over supplied SMPS connected to a Ultra IT? 

5. Gophert PSU connected to the network switch on my main rig to evaluate if a charging a batterypack (ie. plugged into ac mains) that at the same time is powering a network switch could be a cause to why grounding makes a difference, despite 100% isolation from ac mains and galvanicly isolated ICs while playing music (plausible reason = biult up internal static charges inside the network switch due to the ac mains connection while charging).

Should be fun! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

2 hours ago, Cornan said:

I changed my order to this TL-UE300 since I tend to trust TP-Links network products. I also bought a chepeo OTG cable from China to connect it to my CCA.

UE300_un_V1_892_68_normal_0_20150217110931.jpg.56acda54c05f27cead9dc9a86c1f0040.jpg

I will report back when I have recieved it. Hopefully I´ll get the network switch and Gophert lab style SMPS (with floating output relative to safety ground) by the time I´ll get back, so I will have a bunch of coming experiments.

The coming expected experiments will be:

1. Daisy-chained network switches on my main rig. Better or worse than with one network switch?

2. CCA>OTG>TP-Link TL-UE300>30cm Cat 6a U/UTP>battery powered network switch>30cm Cat6a U/UTP>TP-Link AC1200 DAP1620 plugged into Ultra IT. Better or worse than wireless connection to the CCA?

3. CCA>TP-Link TL-UE300>Asus USB-N53 wireless USB card (5Ghz/300Mbit/s). Will it work at all and will it improve SQ on CCA?

4. Gophert PSU connected to my Oehlbach DAC Edition 40. Improves SQ over supplied SMPS connected to a Ultra IT? 

5. Gophert PSU connected to the network switch on my main rig to evaluate if a charging a batterypack (ie. plugged into ac mains) that at the same time is powering a network switch could be a cause to why grounding makes a difference, despite 100% isolation from ac mains and galvanicly isolated ICs while playing music (plausible reason = biult up internal static charges inside the network switch due to the ac mains connection while charging).

Should be fun! :)

A nice set of experiments in the pipeline, you always have a roadmap of experiments :)

On 2017-03-20 at 11:25 AM, Cornan said:

Unfortunately I immediately run into problems. It seems that the Oehlbach is not happy powered with my TP-Link Vivid powerbank. After a short while I´ll get a loud "wobbling" sound in my active speakers. Connecting it with the supplied SMPS style charger takes this perculiour sound away. Hmmm?

I just found out that the problem was my unused TP-Link Vivid powerbank that was the problem to the "wobbling" sound. I replaced it with another single output battery supply and suddenly it is all gone.

The Oehlbach DAC Edition 40 really shines with battery supply. I get a really relaxed and natural sound with clear low end bass notes and clear and well separated treble. A great value DAC for the CCA for sure! ?

What about the ticking sound then? It is still there when no music is playing, but I have turned down the speaker volume roughly 45% and can barely notice it (and still enough volume level to have a party). I'll need to put my ear 10cm from the speakers to notice the "ticking". I still hope that my coming QED analogue RCA cables will cure that issue though. Anyway, with music playing it is all gone and sounds marvelous for the money! ?

My coming Gophert bench PSU just got very tough competition. If it beats this battery pack I will be thrilled to say the least! ?

🎛️  Audio System  

What about the ticking sound then

Is the ticking sound the same with the standard power supply as well as battery?

I still hope that my coming QED analogue RCA cables will cure that issue though. Anyway, with music playing it is all gone and sounds marvelous for the money! ?

I would expect that tweaks on the analog side will not resolve the ticking issue. You can try more digital sound sources with your mini DAC, this way you cound find out if the ticking issue depends on particular sound source.

If it beats this battery pack I will be thrilled to say the least! ?

What for battery pack are you using?

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
55 minutes ago, bogi said:

Is the ticking sound the same with the standard power supply as well as battery?

Yes, the ticking sound is the same with any PSU, connected or unconnected to ac mains. No ticking without the Oehlbach DAC using Chromecast Audio's internal DAC only.

The ticking is only present without a playing source. Not present when paused but when stopped.

I would expect that tweaks on the analog side will not resolve the ticking issue. You can try more digital sound sources with your mini DAC, this way you cound find out if the ticking issue depends on particular sound source.

I am not sure it will help either, but considering that the ticking is there even though I power both the CCA and DAC on battery power, connect my active speakers to a Ultra isolation transformer and connect CCA to DAC via a 15cm Chord C-Lite  a toshlink to Spdif cable I have not a lot of options left.

I am using Tidal as my one and only source and want to keep it that way.

What for battery pack are you using?

I am using this single output 4000mAh powerbank which I bought on a 50% discount offer for roughly $9,90.

102721c.png

I have also a Gophert lab style bench SMPS with floating output relative to the safety ground coming as a comparence. Note that this is my low budget setup with a total budget of $1200 (revised from earlier target of $1000).

🎛️  Audio System  

18 hours ago, bogi said:

To be honest I think the ticking sound is purely due to the DAC via toshlink. The sounds is 100% coming from the DAC and not from somewhere else. What I hope to resolve using a shielded RCA is to limit this mechanical noise to be transferred from the DAC to the speakers. It might help and it might not help, but it is worth a shot (especially since the RCA cables are probably better than my current TRS>XLR cables). I have read many post regarding this ticking issue and several manufacturers explains that this is actually something expected that might be solved if using another IC type. If not you'll have to live with it! ?

If the RCA cables from DAC to active speakers do not resolve this issue my last resort will be to change the Chord C-Lite to a Digital coax to 3,5mm spdif between CCA and DAC.

🎛️  Audio System  

To be honest I think the ticking sound is purely due to the DAC via toshlink.

If the RCA cables from DAC to active speakers do not resolve this issue my last resort will be to change the Chord C-Lite to a Digital coax to 3,5mm spdif between CCA and DAC.

IMO the question is if that tick 'comes' into DAC from from CCA optical output. If you have some other sound source with optical out, you could verify that. In such a case maybe SPDIF iPurifier could help. It has dual coax/optical in/out.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
2 hours ago, bogi said:

IMO the question is if that tick 'comes' into DAC from from CCA optical output. If you have some other sound source with optical out, you could verify that. In such a case maybe SPDIF iPurifier could help. It has dual coax/optical in/out.

Thanks bogi! I will give it a try on my Aries Mini if the QED analogue RCAs does'nt resolve the ticking issue. Thanks for iPurifier tip as well. I might add it to my dead-end resort if the 3,5mm spdif to digital caoxial cable fails as well! ?

🎛️  Audio System