IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Mr Fresh, have we not been through this cycle 15 times before with AQ?

The same rinse and repeat nonsense about civility blah blah blah.

Yes we most certainly have been, AR is seemingly under the erroneous impression that everyone here has a very short memory.

I believe your response here is the most devastating I have seen and should put an end to this.

It probably won't given the history/pattern, however maybe the next step is to just put AR on the ignored members list. I'd love it if that happened en masse, he is not a voice of authority, nor is he the influencer that both he himself and the MQA cadre fancies him to be.

Mr, Quint talks about alternate facts but continues to repeat the absurd canard that MQA would have "engaged" with folks if there was toast and tea and mints on the table. Pure fiction.

That is a fantasy, and one he is hoping CC among others buys into, hence the civility crusade.

Mr. Quint has not once, not even ONE time answered for his magazine and his colleagues coverage of MQA.

No he hasn't, but he sticks to the basic playbook with remarkable predictability.

P.S. there were folks who did not "like" CD when it first arrived but it's benefits were clear, and the market agreed, it had a pretty good 30 year run.

Even if I and other folks did not "like" MQA and it clearly solved technical issues and had undisputed benefits, then it would not matter what detractors think....and this thread would not even exist. But it does.

Well said, that's both an interesting analogy, and a sign of things not to come for MQA... no traction yet with anything but tiny Tidal does not bode well at all, market acceptance has not happened despite the (free?) trade press blitz they have been the recipient of.

I guess only a very small fraction of the magazine readers (and as well the hi-fi gear manufacturers) were effectively snookered.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

He made a hobby out of understanding the technology! 

Impressive!

3 hours ago, FredericV said:

His backstory does not does not add up.

No not at all, but evidently he feels there are plenty of Facebook "followers" who can be persuaded otherwise. He's a veritable Facebook superstar in his own mind, a real "influencer".

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

34 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The part that baffles me, is what’s in it for him and the other MQA “influencers?”

Something more than just a spare time "hobby". I offer no proof other than common sense logic.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, randyhat said:

Whether hatred, truth, or just an casual obsession to occupy your time.  Fight on warrior!  781 pages and we have not yet even begun to fight.

SUCH clever sarcasm, what a valuable addition to the thread!

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

9 minutes ago, asdf1000 said:

So many claims and not an ounce of evidence for how many years?

Evidence is something used in a court of law. In an online forum such as this, no such burden of proof is required, either take what he says at face value or leave it, but the idea that evidence need be submitted, otherwise it isn't true, is a bridge too far.

Chris has set a poor example here in attacking the messenger, how many other posts are simply ignored? Why would the OP of this thread suddenly need to provide "proof"?

Why wouldn't you or anyone else that has seemingly tired of the OP's style just put him on your member ignore list? That would seem to be a better course of action than to make demands of proof else that person is a liar, no?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

29 minutes ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Wow, what a load of crap that is. The author does describe him/herself as a "big fan" of MQA, so that at least provides some context. He fails to consider how that stream might sound in 16/48 PCM, for example.

But WAIT... the author's signature suggests he is an anonymous poster! Would that not draw the ire of Bob Stuart and various others who have used the anonymous identity argument ad nauseam previously in vain attempts to discredit various posts on this thread and elsewhere?

Exactly who is Paul Cash and what are his credentials? How would we know he isn't just a product shilling affiliate marketing program whore? Is Hi-Fi Trends a legitimate outlet of unbiased information, or is it an online informercial? Only The Shadow knows.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I thought it interesting that the revamped HDtracks site is now powered by OraSteam. Could we one day potentially be looking at a redux of the still born HDmusicStream, that evidently is currently the subject of litigation between 7digital and the Cheskys?

Will anyone other than the record labels make streaming profitable in the current landscape? Have the record labels pursued/demanded short term profits under the current model at the expense of real sustainability?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, jma2 said:

The equipment vendors might have chosen MQA as "another" option to differentiate themselves from the rest at the time of the hype or not to miss the hype... they may already regret it eventually (or am I naive?).

Agreed, and I don't think you are naive. My hope is that with the next cycle of product design and production, we'll quietly start to see this buzzword feature dropped. High-end brands typically don't have a new model every year or two, very often it is 5 or more years between the introduction of new models, a longer new product development cycle than for regular consumer electronics.

I expect to see less adoption among these high-end brands with the next new product cycle, with the realization that MQA long ago jumped the shark, despite what the industry rags might still be clinging to as news worthy of their promotion. But for every brand that drops it, there might be news ones willing to give it a go in hopes of boosting sales, which is why it remains important to fly the flag for the right cause as @jma2 described above.

I still salute the likes of Linn, Benchmark, and EXOGAL, among others, for not bending to pressure or sacrificing their core values in engineering, or their faith in the ability to offer consumers REAL value, and not just chase a few extra greenbacks. Evidently they are not just in the business of shifting a few units in any way possible. Not a simple decision to make, even if you know you are doing the right thing.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

14 hours ago, firedog said:

In the present case, I can assume that anything coming from MQA is at best misleading or even a lie. Ditto for any quote from Mike Jbara. 

Thats true, I hadn't thought of it that way. In that sense just more noise from a source of ill repute to completely disregard.

2 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

"(MQA can) only be described as a miracle of modern digital-audio technology and a boon to music lovers."

Now I'm worried for RH, has anyone actually seen him in the flesh lately? I'm concerned the above could only come from an AI-armed robot, an area LS's résumé suggests he's well-versed in.

Then again LS was a mouthpiece/salesman, not an engineer, so it's possible TAS under-vetted his résumé, opting instead to just splash his stated credentials onto a hiring press release and call it a day.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

2 hours ago, UkPhil said:

More push in the media from the CEO of MQA covering their development and marketing of MQA Video 

http://technologyinsidergroup.com/business/mike-jbara-mqa/

Part 2 

http://technologyinsidergroup.com/business/mike-jbara-mqa-2/

No doubt a paid advertorial, take a look at who Technology Insider Group is:

Marketing Services

Custom Publishing

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, mav52 said:

Agree but some companies still add MQA to their DACS and streamers. I guess the want to suck a few dollars off the consumers.

Yes and that always the case, most of these companies have engineers that know what's what. This was always a case of ticking off "features" for marketing purposes, and ultimately, shifting boxes in the name of $$$, not superior digital audio performance or value to the consumer, quite the opposite actually.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FredericV said:

You don't have the same acoustics and speakers as in the studio where is was mixed / mastered, so how is this even possible?

It is of course impossible, just like it is not possible for MQA to correct for any/all deficiencies in every ADC ever designed/produced.

Moreover, their little word game with M4A shows complete ignorance as well, M4A is a container format, and can used with a lossless compression codec such as Apple Lossless, not just AAC.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

This is old and might even have been posted in this thread in the past but it’s still relevant...

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

It was posted here previously, but it bears repeating as it's just as true and relevant today as it ever was. Though the MQA performance claims are dubious/specious at best, this blog post illustrates the crux of the matter.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Frankly, to be safe, I am going to avoid anything Warner from this day forward.

Thats a good idea, much like avoiding TIDAL in general. I'm a satisfied Qobuz subscriber, but if that service were ever no longer available in the U.S. there is a zero % chance that I'd ever use TIDAL for anything.

That link posted above by @UkPhil spews BS, all crap debunked now years ago, yet they state it like facts. Then if you click their link to a TIDAL landing page, more of the same, TIDAL themselves guilty of false advertising, a complete crock.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook