IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

11 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

Anyone have a Doctorate in Ethics?

In Biochemistry - Ethics is one topic that is covered. I do have a PhD in Fungal Biochemistry.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

11 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I occasionally teach ethics as CPE for CPAs.  

The grad school, I went to, students had to take courses in ethics.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Remember, there’s no way judge complete formats. What tracks did you listen to?

also, remember that some MQA sounds far different from those who worked on the album say it should sound. If you like a flavor other than what the artist intended that’s totally OK. But, we shouldn’t mandate a flavor for everyone and that’s what MQA does. 

Excellent point. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

19 minutes ago, mansr said:

If that's not an offer of money, I don't know what it is. Well, I suppose it could be an offer to have someone "taken care of."

Image result for i have an offer you can't refuse meme

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

10 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

We went to dinner in Munich a couple years ago with some other HiFi writers. It was brought up in the same conversation. 

Dinner didn’t work on me though. 

Similar thing. I was invited to a party at the house of a CEO that makes equipment for Bioremediation. The house was San Clemente, Nixon's western WH. As it turned out, I was invited since I was with some EPA scientists and they thought I was one too (I was a contractor for the EPA at the time). So, I got invited and went. None of the EPA people came along. Since the house was 2 hrs from San Diego where the meeting was taking place, buses were provided. When they found out I was just a contractor, they let me be to enjoy the party, but others were rushed into the house for a special meeting, I was not.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

35 minutes ago, Thuaveta said:

That some have accepted is speculation until proven otherwise, but that some of the more critical coverage is on the site run by a guy who refused might say something... 😉

Ask the reviewers how much they actually reviewed and own now. That is a 'quid quo pro'.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Image result for a funny meme a price you can't refuse

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

With respect to accommodation pricing etc... I wrote a damn big check and one of the reasons I did it was to improve what I report to this community. The better my system, the better information I can provide. Don’t get me wrong, I’m an audiophile who has always wanted such a system for my own enjoyment as well, but some people would be surprised at how many hours I spent talking to people about which products are best for me to purchase to improve what I can provide this community. 

I think this community can easily see I have a track record here for all to read, am very transparent, and put them before anyone/anything else. Without the members of this community, there would be no advertisers and no site. This community is incredibly smart. If I tried to pull the stuff the old guard pulls, they’d call me out immediately. Plus, pulling that crap can’t make one feel personally satisfied inside. 

Enough about me. This community isn’t about me. I don’t want or need to be the center of attention. 

No need to apologize. 

The old guard do it because they feel entitled to do so.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

3 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Misdirection.

The bottom line is that the business model of MQA is to be the company controlling music distribution.

Fixed it for you. There is no 'body', like the USB consortium. There is only MQA.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Real life and your preference are at odds here. There’s nothing special about audio, but it’s a tiny niche that doesn’t attract a broad audience that could fund a reader supported model. I’m sure the same can be said for luxury watches and many other non-special categories. 

I’d love to get rid of advertisements but that model only works for Consumer Reports and publications with large pockets / trust funds. 

I was talking about the writing style of the reviewers is all.

It isn't a preference really, just thinking out loud, it is morning after all and I don't have much in the way of science to deal with this morning, for a change. :D

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

23 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

Yes, a magazine like Stereophile reviews a lot of products that its typical reader will not be able to afford. See my essay at

https://www.stereophile.com/content/conspicuous-consumption

in which I both offer an answer to the question "Why does a magazine read by regular middle-class people devote space to products that might as well be made from unobtainium?" and examine why the high-end audio industry is undergoing an upward price spiral.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

There is nothing wrong with that. All one needs do is look at car magazines. They review and look at all price levels (very balanced, BTW). If you look at Stereophile, there are more high end reviews than there are more affordable products. Is it because, the writers want to do it? The manufactures? Or a combination? While it is great to see the reviews, it is better to see and hear in person, hence why AXPONA is nice. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

5 minutes ago, Doug Schneider said:

I'm not going to wade into why these publications acted the way they did when MQA first came out -- and remained on that train even though some of the best experts in digital (Robert Watts, John Siau, among others) were waving red flags left, right, and center. Instead, I want to bring up something I believe is critical that is potentially very destructive regarding MQA and most people are not talking about -- the implementation of the MQA filter as the sole playback filter for all files.

Many designers I've talked to (and I've talked to many) have said that ideally, MQA wants their filter used for all playback. If I'm not mistaken, a number of DAC makers did just that -- used the MQA filter for all PCM routed through. The problem is, while the MQA filter might be fine for MQA playback, from what I've learned, it's not the best filter for standard PCM -- it's a very "leaky" filter, among other issues. That said, IMO, those suppliers that implemented the MQA filter for all playback may have severely compromised their DACs doing so. I know I would never buy a DAC that has only the MQA filter.

Thankfully, though, not all companies did that. The Hegel H390 that I have here supports MQA, but it has dual paths through the filters for MQA and non-MQA material, as have others. But it's something I believe that potential buyers should look into. This, to me, is crucial -- but why didn't the magazines that championed MQA report on that? One can only guess...

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Doug,

Thanks for this. That is why I haven't updated my iFi Nano I use at work. I do not want to deal with that issue. I also have some DSD files and would not be able to play them.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590