IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2023 at 1:26 AM, ARQuint said:

That has been a central question for me over the five years this debate has been unfolding. (That and why those on opposing sides of the MQA debate  often treat one another so miserably.)  If MQA is offering less data than a competing format, why do some critical listeners  think it sounds better, and why do some recording professionals utilize it in their production methodology? Unless they are citing the one Canadian comparison study where subjects couldn't tell the difference, those most stridently opposed to MQA tend to discount the subjective experience entirely.

On 1/29/2023 at 2:24 AM, ARQuint said:

"The DXD file sounds better than the disc's DSD layer: cleaner transients, greater transparency, etc."

He said it believing that he was hearing the full-resolution "reference" file. You'll say it's expectation bias or lousy hearing. I'm interested in hearing how the real reference (the NativeDSD file) sounds in comparison to the allegedly fake one (the MQA-CD.)

To add to what Archimago wrote, the digital filters used by MQA screw up the phase, such that instruments are pushed forward in the soundstage. You can see that the MQA CD is a dB or so louder as well. When you add compression (Jack Johnson or The Beatles are good examples of this) it emphasises quieter sounds, so the overall impression is of more detail. With some music, it definitely can be more enjoyable. With others, such as some classical I've tried, they've attempted to remove some of the background, such as in concert halls, presumably to emphasise notes more, and you lose the sense of atmosphere and space, and it ends up sounding artificial.

On 1/29/2023 at 3:07 AM, Archimago said:

As I've shown, the SACD layer is clearly a transfer of the DXD reference and since SACD is capable of true hi-res performance, you should hear what amounts to the DXD. As opposed to the MQA-CD decode with the demonstrable frequency variation within the audible range (which you might still enjoy, maybe even prefer!).

DSD blunts transients, which is why it sounds soft, and explains the impressions of the DXD version sounding more dynamic.  A lot of people have the idea that "soft" equals "more natural" but live music is totally the opposite. If anything, a lot of the music we listen to is missing varying degrees of dynamic range, transient dynamics, etc. but that's another discussion.

19 hours ago, firedog said:

Andrew apparently sees everything within his "courtesy and civility template", even when it doesn't apply. If you challenge the audiophile press, you are automatically in the "caustic" and "uncivil" category - even when you aren't uncivil. 

Well, every time someone throws an insult about a person rather than just what they say, that gives them good reason to ignore the arguments and just accuse one of being uncivil. It doesn't help that a considerable percentage of discussion in this thread consists of that. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, botrytis said:

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-r6-gen-iii

16X MQA unfolding? What nonsense.....

The DAP market in Asia has always been insane. First, it was Astell&Kern that came out with the awful 2.5mm balanced headphone connector, even though it isn't a standard, and most of the plugs available were slightly the wrong length compared to the sockets... that meant that to even sell a portable audio device in Asia, you HAVE to have a balanced output, even though the benefits are essentially zero. Ironically, A&K's flagship DAPs both measured and sounded just as good from the 3.5mm output as the 2.5mm.  There's also a mod for the Chord Mojo which gives it a balanced output, but the SQ is, not surprisingly, worse. 

MQA is just a repeat of the same kind of nonsense -- you have to have it in your audio gear or people wont even consider it. This is the same market where people will buy half-a-dozen expensive cables just to get the right synergistic match with their IEMs and DAP.

If TIDAL is fading out though, it'll burn out eventually as new FADs come through. I'm sure that the MQA BT codec is just to try and capture more money from Asia before it finally burns out.

On 3/7/2023 at 4:08 PM, loop7 said:

This question had to have been asked and answered but I'm curious if the number of MQA capable DACs has increased or decreased since MQA was introduced?

Has there been an arc?

I haven't heard of any manufacturers removing it. By the nature of there being new models introduced, almost every new DAP and DAC I've seen come out of China has been MQA capable, so they have been steadily increasing. 

On 3/9/2023 at 3:18 PM, bambadoo said:

I have hears (from pretty reliable sources) that Topping do not like MQA at all but implement it because customers demand it. 

Thats why we are given a choice

That's the case with a number of Asian manufacturers.  I do wonder if it isn't just a small number of noisy people asking for it, and really if they didn't it, they wouldn't really lose any significant number of sales. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Iving said:

don’t be surprised to see announcements of SCL6-compatible products later in the year.

Given that MQA had to pay manufacturers, in some cases, to implement it at all (since anyone with a brain who looked at the tech behind MQA knew it was BS) I'd be very surprised if it appears anywhere, ever.

17 hours ago, Archimago said:

A quick search of CDJapan where many of these kinds of CDs have been released, reveals 776 MQA-CD titles here in April 2023. Back in May 2021, BS reported about 600 titles. No big growth in that segment. Most of these look like domestic small-scale jazz/classical releases to the Asian market from Universal.

Did the Japanese/Asian consumers actually drink the Kool Aid and desired MQA-CD's?

A distributor put it to me that it was for old audiophiles to have their high-res.  Physical formats are still popular here. There's a whole chain of shops dedicated to second-hand CDs and the like.

17 hours ago, Archimago said:

I suppose. The nice thing about headphones is that there are no room effects so the measurements can be seen as more directly relatable to sound quality. However, there are still all kinds of interesting subjective preferences to be had!

I'd say it's the opposite. The variation in peoples' physical ear shape is sufficient that two different people can experience significantly more bass or treble from the same pair of headphones, and even when the position on one's head is shifted.

17 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

But, measuring headphones is a soup sandwhich right now. Most of the guys doing it can't agree on the right procedure or equipment :~)

There have been a significant developments in measuring equipment in the last few years, leading to more accurate measurements.  Likewise in methodologies for providing the equivalent of a "flat" frequency response (at least compared to what you'd experience in a high-end hi-fi set-up in a treated room). The problem lies in correlating both into something people can relate to, and that some people have begun worshipping the ideal frequency response curve in the same way others worship low SINAD in electronics. 

I wonder why, given how much Universal and Warner were willing to put into it, why one of them hasn't just bought MQA, even before the announcement. The only reason I can think of is that the IP is worthless -- that beyond the folding tech and filtering, they were only doing a bit of compression or EQ on music, or not much beyond that. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to give John the benefit of the doubt and, given his workload (that seemed to have caused him health problems recently) and non-participation in forums and online discussion, assume that he takes companies at their word. A similar thing happened with a friend of mine who is knowledgable both about hi-fi and audio mastering. He simply wasn't aware of the research that had been done into the validity of MQA's claims. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 9:40 AM, rickca said:

I tried to tell dCS that implementation of MQA was a misallocation of their R&D resources.  dCS responded that they did it because their customers demanded it.  It's really unfortunate that so many companies wasted time and money investing in this nothingburger. 

On 6/30/2023 at 5:22 PM, firedog said:

PS Audio claimed the same thing - they didn't like it, but customers demanded it. I'm skeptical - how scientific was their "survey"?

I just had a similar thing with a manufacturer that makes headphone amps. I asked them why they still had dual 3-pin XLR sockets on the front, as that set-up is long dead. So, they removed it, and suddenly added it back after someone else told them it was still popular. BS I say. I can count the number of headphone amps that have that set up on one hand, maybe two. No headphones come with it. No aftermarket cable makers show that set-up in pictures. 

I reckon the whole thing was just a vocal minority that wants to believe. It'll be pretty obvious when they start removing the option and find that they don't lose any significant number of sales.

On 7/9/2023 at 9:07 PM, yamamoto2002 said:

There is an article about MQA appeared on local magazine 無線と実験 July 2023 pp.116~117. General info about MQA technology and the report of current company situations.

I think MQA is fleeting, passing, transient technology using traditional analytic method. There should be completely different audio codec in the near future, this time with deep learning autoencoder, much higher compression ratio and perceptually lossless, because it extract features (instrument, timings, pitch, expression, ...) and store / transfer,  and reconstructs sound from them and trained model parameters

A new audio codec isn't needed. What is needed is ADCs that don't, by default, mess up the audio in the first place. It'll be very interesting when Rob Watts completes the DAVINA.