IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

1 hour ago, UkPhil said:

Not a lot going on it seems with MQA at the Bristol Hifi Show, only a handful of supporters mentioned looking at the latest social media advertising push this week.

IMG_1112.jpg

This example of MQA News looks like an excellent effort at "positive spin".  Some nice pictures though, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I particularly enjoyed listening to the Hegel / KEF LS50 system that is pictured bottom right.

Although the Arcam picture rather fails to convey that Arcam were showcasing a 16 channel surround system running from a 4K Blu-ray player.  

https://www.facebook.com/ArcamUK/

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the author has as email link, maybe someone should contact him and put him straight with regard to the facts?

https://www.digitaltrends.com/users/simoncohen/

Or comment here if you prefer something a bit more visible ...

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

This is a bit of fun, MQA mentioned at the Bristol Hifi show in the U.K. From 14 minutes in the clip below.

As an aside, I mentioned in an earlier post that I particularly enjoyed the rather curious combination of the £9k Hegel with the £900 LS50’s. 

The MQA bit here amused me too.

Less speaker, that’s where it’s at.

• 4 weeks later...

Slightly off the MQA topic I know, but perhaps relevant to the greater "hi-res" market situation.  Does anyone know what is behind this?

Maybe nothing more than an efficiency related consolidation to HDtracks.com?

https://www.hiresaudio.online/hdtracks-co-uk-to-close-on-31st-march/

9 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

It is still running as of this morning 

HD Tracks.png

Yes, the shutdown was planned for the end of March, but now postponed until the end of April.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
14 hours ago, jma2 said:

Could it be that those guys both missed "the elephant in the city bus"?

😉

Maybe MQA is elephantware? 

• 4 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, FredericV said:

When we researched MQA's & Ayre's filter, which is minimum phase with one cycle of postringing, everything sounded too tight. For EDM and euro dance hits from the 90's, this would be a nice gimmick, but as the post-ringing has been artificially shortened, something is missing. Voices are not natural with this filter, something is truly missing. Having a more natural post-tail also gives our neurological system some extra post-info after transients or point source events, which helps a lot. The reason being post-echo's are sustained a little bit longer, which helps our neurologic system. The only thing we cannot handle well, is having audio before the actual event occurs, so pre-ringing with linear phase, smears the time domain. So I actually oppose all of MQA's time domain hocus pocus claims as they sound wrong to my ears. The way MQA tries to solve this pre-ringing is wrong.

To my ears, the ultimate filter is Archimago's Intermediate Phase filter: phase correct in the audible spectrum, and almost no pre-ringing and mainly post-ringing, but with a longer tail than MQA's fake content generator aka it's leaky filter which causes fake ultrasonics, which uses the shortest possible upsampling post-ringing tail, but with all side effects associated with such filter..

So some time ago we decided to implement this filter and give it away as a free software update.Anyone can google the filter specifications and modify their upsampler, and this filter sounds in every way superior than MQA's second unfold upsampler.

A little off topic here (more like MQA isn't Vaporware), but have you tried the MQA filters in HQPlayer?

• 2 months later...

Some interesting comments:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/best-music-streaming-service-for-2020-spotify-apple-amazon-and-youtube-music/

Note that MQA is listed in the bad section of Tidal’s good / bad summary.

• 2 months later...

They can get away with it though ....

https://www.asa.org.uk/rulings/mqa-ltd-a18-470395.html

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, KeenObserver said:

I just realized why I have been unsuccessful in selling that bridge in Brooklyn all these years.  I didn't advertise it on Peter Veth's blog!

Us Brits are quite good at selling bridges:

https://www.history.com/news/how-london-bridge-ended-up-in-arizona

That and dodgy music file formats.

11 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

"By designing MQA based on how sound travels through air – the purest distribution platform – MQA puts great emphasis on the preservation of natural dynamic range and timing information. "

My God, that Mike Jbara is a true genius!  And Bob Stuart, he has crossed over into a new paradigm! He designed MQA to be listened to in AIR! My God, no wonder they gave him the Prince Phillip award!

That has been our problem all along, we have been listening to music in a vacuum! We have not been getting the full sound (or any sound).  And, we died!

Yes, I think Mike Jbara was brought over to MQA for his connection to Warner music. And maybe his ethical standards.  It was definitely not for his intelligence.

This sounds like bad news, it will seriously stuff things up for those using headphones or earbuds.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

Here is a nice example of how clueless the press is.

Michael Fremer, from Analog Planet-

"The TIDAL MQA streamed 96/24 version was like another recording altogether. The piano sounded more like a piano made of wood. The church space on the live performance was well-separated from the instrument and it was overall far more coherent and satisfying. I don’t understand those who are MQA resistant especially those who view it as a “plot” to control their recorded musical existence.  And, not surprising (to me at least), the extremely well mastered and flawlessly pressed vinyl record sounded very much like the MQA 96/24 stream.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/lang-lang—-classical-music-superstar-critics-love-hate-hate-delivers-his-goldberg-variations

Not all of the press is quite so clueless.  A couple of examples linked below.  I would describe these as more "matter of fact" than particularly opinionated regarding MQA.  Or to put it another way, I see no shrilling here .....

Wolfgang Muthspiel : Rising Grace (mqa) | Hi-Fi News

Christian Weidner : Every Hour Of The Light And Dark (mqa) | Hi-Fi News

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, UkPhil said:

And does this take it even further, I need a lie down 

Yes, 33% further it would seem.

15 hours ago, DuckToller said:

If I am not mistaken, your source is just guilty of unfiltered copy-paste of source material:

Agreed, it's just a cut and paste of the manufacturer's marketing fluff. 

Althought regarding my "source", the What Hi Fi writer is Becky Scarott, and we have seen her here before:

4 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

By the way, does your wife know that you follow Becky Scarrott on instagram ??? ;-)

If I'm honest, I'm having more than enough fun just following her on What Hi Fi.